The Venice Canal Bungalow in “Because I Said So”

Because I Said So-movie poster

The 2006 comedy (using term loosely) Because I Said So, starring Diane Keaton as a meddling mother with three grown daughters, may have gotten so-so reviews, but I think the sets were fun to look at! Producers say they wanted to show the best of L.A., so they shot in places like Malibu and Venice Canal.

My favorite of the houses had to be Johnny’s, a charming bungalow on the Venice Canal. So I was excited when I heard that 1) it was a real house, not just a set, and 2) it was recently for sale.

Canal

Here’s the front of the house, as seen from the canal:

view of house from canal

When the movie was filmed, the house belonged to actor Garett Maggart (who happens to be the half-brother of singer Fiona Apple).  It’s a two-bedroom, two-bath home and had an asking price of $1.265 million but just sold.

Because I Said So-canal house 1

In this scene from the movie, Johnny (Gabriel Macht) brings Milly (Mandy Moore) home to meet his son for the first time:

Venice house-doors

The same door shown in the listing:

Because I Said So-canal house 2

The house was built in 1924.

Venice house-living rm

Venice house-Kitchen

Venice house-kitchen

Venice house-kitchen 2

The fireplace shown in the film:

Venice house-LR

And in the listing:

Venice house-dining

Venice house-bedroom

Daphne’s House

Daphne's house

They said that they filmed a lot of the movie in Malibu, so I’m guessing that’s where this house was.

Daphne's Living Rm

Daphne's kitchen

Daphne's study

Milly’s House

Milly's kitchen

Milly (Mandy Moore) is a baker with an eclectic style that is reflected in her house.  It’s a little retro and a little modern. Very fun.

Milly's kitchen 2

Milly's couch

Milly's LR

An overhead view of the living room shows Daphne and Milly rearranging the furniture:

Milly's LR overhead

Which of the three houses from the movie is your favorite? I would take the Venice Canal bungalow in a heartbeat. What about you?

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Baby Boom house

Baby Boom

Comments

1. Jamie says

I love the bungalo too, but I also love Millie’s place, particularly the red couch. I wish it was mine, oh yes, I wish it was…

The bungalo was perfect. I can’t imagine living in such a charming place. I love california style. Makes me want to live there…if only it wasn’t for the crazy pricetags!
    .-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Goosebumps =-.

I too would take the canal bungalow but would happy if I HAD to take Millie’s place!! And even though it got bad reviews I loved this film, it’s just cute and it was a no brainer that Johnny was the perfect one.
    Thanks for posting these pics, I love it.
    .-= Sarah @ myfirstlittleplace´s last blog ..Special Post =-.

Love the Venice Beach Bungalow!

Julia….. I need your mailing address to send you your winning prize!!

Karena
    Art by Karena
    .-= Karena´s last blog ..The Royal Winners =-.

The Venice Canal bungalow for sure!! Love that it’s on the water (even if it’s just a narrow strip of water!!), and the interior is really nice. And all those windows are great — I bet the house is juts flooded with sunlight :-)

It’s fun to see movie houses in real life :-)

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Funky footprints in the sand =-.

6. karin/lifeinsmallchunks@blogspot.com says

ooohhh…hard choice. I like them all, but I would probably also pick the little canal bungalow. Great post!

I’d take the bungalow. Did it mention how many square feet it is? From the outside it looks small…so typical of California homes, expecially in desirable loactions. They look small outside, but when you get inside, your jaw drops and then you say WOW!
    I love the look of the California life style, but it takes LOTS of money to live it!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Got Plans =-.

• hookedonhouses says

I don’t think the listing mentioned the square footage, but it can’t be much. They made the most of it, though! -Julia

I think Diane Keaton and beautiful set designs are synonymous… I love all her films and love that you have featured my favourite, ‘Baby Boom’.. the house in this movie was my image of America, right up until I landed here! Thank you for this post! Lx
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..An oar No Boat Any Ideas =-.

9. Janelle says

Now I want to go watch the movie again. I love the sets, and the costumes — the dresses were all funny or fun.

10. Barbara says

I’d move into that bungalow in a heartbeat. I love the blue tile around the fireplace. I think I particularly like it because I have a small kitchen, and my dining room is off of it, like in the photo. I also love the hardwood floor in the kitchen (someday!)

Do you know Julia, when I see Hooked on Houses highlighted in my RSS my heartbeat actually quickens! I know I’m going to have fun, be intrigued,and be informed in the best possible way~

Johnny’s house. It comes with a Lifestyle.
    .-= Tricia Rose´s last blog ..Summer in the City =-.

I love them all! I must admit, even though this movie got bad reviews, it is one of my favorites. I love Mandy Moore, Diane Keaton, and Lauren Graham and think this movie does a great job of showing the love between a mother and her daughter (with a lot of quirkiness mixed in). It’s lighthearted and definitely has a lot of great stuff to look at. Thanks for doing a post on it!
    .-= Sarah @ Dream in Domestic´s last blog ..A Simple Guide to Packing Up and Shipping Out =-.

I never even knew there was a Venice canal! I was just going to email you over the weekend and ask if you had seen the ranch style Marin County house in the movie Funny People? It is AMAZING!
    .-= Nikki´s last blog ..Isabellas First Birthday =-.

Julia, I love those yellow cabinets too. I grew up on a canal on Long Island, so the bungalow didn’t grab me, but I almost always love the houses in Diane Keaton movies. They always choose to put her in beautiful homes…never forgot the house from Baby Boom…loved it!
    .-= black eyed susans kitchen´s last blog ..TOE-MAY-TOETOE-MAH-TOE =-.

I’m going to Netflix this right now. Today is one of those days that I need to look at some really good houses.

I love all three houses in the movie and think each one would be great for different stages of life. I also like the uber modern house the other boyfriend had, but I don’t think I could live there. It’s just a bit too cold for me.
    .-= Pamela @ Atmosphere ID´s last blog ..Weekend GIVEAWAY!! =-.

Since I was in Venice last week visiting my daughter and walking the canals, I’ll have to say that one! Those houses are so darned cute!! xoR
    .-= Roberta´s last blog ..BOHEMIAN POUF! =-.

18. Nita says

The Venice bungalow is to die for. I would love to live there on the water and have a little boat. I wonder how long the canal is? It is just perfect.

• hookedonhouses says

Interesting! It looks like it’ll be a few more years until I can afford one…

19. Jane says

Since I’m dreaming, I’ll take the kitchen from the bungalow (love those yellow cabinets too) and Millie’s living room. That davenport looks so comfy!

20. Rachael says

Definitely the canal bungalow! I’d take it in a heartbeat!

I’ve watched this movie over and over, just to look at the houses. I do love the one on the canal, but I just can’t resist those brick wall in Milly’s apartment. So, I guess Milly’s would be my favorite.
    .-= rhianna´s last blog ..VIP in Aisle 5 =-.

Hi Julia – I must be the only one who enjoyed that movie, in fact I watched it again not too long ago. I really adore the house in Venice Beach too! Of course it’s over a mill for a tiny bungalow, with almost no yard. But that area is really one of L.A.’s best! It’s one of my dream place to live :)
    -marie
    .-= Marie´s last blog ..Mix and Match Teacups =-.

I’ve seen this movie at least 5 or 6 times. I could never figure out why I watched it so much because the story is kind of scattered and the acting (mostly by Diane) is a little annoying and unrealistic. I mean, that woman plays a whiney cryer in every single movie she’s been in lately. But, now I just figured it out… it was the real estate that kept pulling me back in!
    .-= liz @ btb´s last blog ..You Gotta Try- Marthas Fruit Peye Chart =-.

24. Lisa says

I might be wrong, but I think one of those Venice canal houses was in ‘Valentines Day’???

• hookedonhouses says

Were they? I haven’t seen “Valentine’s Day” yet. -Julia

25. belledame says

what luck to check your blog the day you post this house. the movie itself is kinda reprehensible. it’s supposed to be a quirky, funny chick flick. but milly’s behavior is awful (two complete relationships at once) and the mother is a caricature. diane keaton should fire her agent. btw this movie and “the family stone” she plays two moms who do things a mom wouldn’t do/say. and the panty scene at the beginning? a woman of her years and stature doesn’t have to stoop to that.

anyway, i do love the sets. heck even the two sisters’ homes are cute. but milly’s is my favorite b/c it’s so colorful and the space itself is unexpected. it doesn’t really seem like an apartment. perhaps converted office space? and there are so many interesting details: the narrow shelves on the wall corner opposite the front door. the clear shutters from the livingroom to the bedroom, the open kitchen shelves, that great locker fixture. her place looks ready to throw a party at a moment’s notice.

really, i’d love to apply milly’s taste to her mother’s house. the colors plus the natural light and wood floors would be my ideal.

• Peter says

For anyone interested Milly’s apartment is, in fact, not an apartment but the famous lusted wedding venue Marvimon House, which started life as an italian automobile showroom at the start of the last century.

Diane Keaton gets the best houses! In all of her movies! Something’s Gotta Give! Do you have pictures of where she actually lives?
    .-= Ann´s last blog .. =-.

27. Heatherly says

Love the canal! I love that couch so very much in Milly’s place!! Any ideas on the details of it??

I adore your movie posts. I like all three of the spaces featured, I really like Milly’s retro kitchen. Her old oven is too cute and I love the chalkboard on the fridge (?). Her pantry and shelving is also organized and adorable. I’m also a sucker for exposed brick, but I do love the bungalow as well… Decisions, decisions! I guess I’ll settle for Diane’s beach house in the Hamptons from Something’s Gotta Give and call it even :)
    .-= Breanna´s last blog ..How To- Treat a Sunburn =-.

29. E. George says

Hi Julia I’m with you on this one – but I must confess I’ll take any of the above if offered – the bungalow is the winner …… I watched Chances Are for 100th time I don’t know if you have seen it but for a movie done in the late 80s I find the house to be beautiful and I can’t say I found any of the sets from the 80s anything to rave about but this one (exceptional) if you haven’t seen it I hope you have the time to have a look – it stars Cybill Shepher Robert Downey Jr and Ryan O’Neal how can you resist…. thanks for sharing it was wonderful…. Regards Esther from a cold and windy Sydney….

30. Ruth says

I would love to own that bungalow on the canal! What a beautiful place to wake up to. Thanks Julia!

31. jaymi says

Why does Diane Keaton always have the BEST houses ever?! Would never have guessed that house was on the Venice Canal (didn’t even know it exists) … you know Ashton’s house in Valentine’s Day… was it on the Venice Canal also?? Looks similar to me…