The Colonial Revival House Used in “The Women”

"The Women" movie 2008 remake red brick house for sale

When I wrote about Meg Ryan’s traditional red-brick house from the 2008 remake of The Women, I asked whether any of you knew where it was located. Not only did a reader named Susan tell me that it’s in Dover, Massachusetts, but she sent me a link to the listing for it. That’s right–it’s for sale! And that means we get to peek inside and see what it really looks like.

What’s more, there are lots of wonderful photos that prove what I suspected–that the movie was filmed inside the actual house, instead of on a separate soundstage. Wanna see?

The Women-real house exterior lake

The listing says, “This 1906 Colonial Revival style residence has been carefully renovated using the finest materials to preserve its historic architectural details. The 26-acre estate, comprised of open fields, scenic ponds and a variety of mature trees, is located in a neighborhood setting. There is a guest house, carriage house with caretaker’s apartment and stable wing, recreation lodge, additional outbuildings, swimming pool, tennis court and buildable lot.”

The Entry Hall (Listing Photo):

The Women-real house entry

Meg Ryan as Mary Haines walking through the same entry in the film:

entry hall

The Women-real house living room

Mary’s party guests mingled in this room:

living room-mantel

The Living Room Decorated for Christmas:

fireplace-decorated for Cmas

The Dining Room (Listing Photo):

The Women-real house dining room

In the movie, they put a desk in this room and made it Stephen’s study:

study

The Kitchen (Listing Photo):

The Women-real house kitchen

For the movie, they hung a collection of framed paintings over the black fireplace:

kitchen 3

In the movie, there’s a stained beadboard backsplash that goes all the way behind the stove:

Mary Haines kitchen 1

In the listing, you can see there is a stainless-steel backsplash behind the stove instead. The counters also look like they’ve been changed from green to black, don’t they?

The Women-real house kitchen 2

Notice there is a TV on the counter in the listing, in the same spot as there was in the movie. However, the real-life TV is smaller and more practical (the bigger one looks like it would block the cabinet doors a little):

kitchen 7

The Master Bedroom (Listing Photo):

The Women-real house bedroom

The Master Bedroom in the movie wasn’t quite as nice. The bed looked too small, for one thing.  I think it’s interesting how they did a similar fabric treatment behind the headboard:

Mary Haines bedroom-The women

There are some rooms we didn’t get to see in the movie (or only got fleeting glimpses of) that are shown in the listing:

The Women-real house piano room

I love this sunroom lined with built-in bookshelves:

The Women-real house sunroom

We saw the exterior of this sunroom in the movie:

exterior side

Check the listing for more information. To see more photos from the remake, as well as from the original 1938 version, you can read my original post here.

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more!

"Hanging Up" movie house
The Delia Ephron movie Hanging Up didn't make much money at the box office, but the sets made a big impression -- especially the Spanish-style bungalow Meg Ryan's…
Hope Floats movie house in Smithville Texas
In the 1998 romantic drama Hope Floats, Sandra Bullock plays Birdee Pruitt, a woman who takes her young daughter Bernice back to her mother's house when…

Comments

1. Kim says

Wow! I love the actual house. One of my favorite rooms is the dining room with all that dark wood.

Thanks for sharing!

Just saw this movie for the first time a few days ago and noticed that I liked the kitchen. Much more than I liked the movie itself. Were we supposed to actually like any of those cartonish women? You could use this one to start a new series, Julia: “When bad movies happen to good houses”.
    .-= Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury´s last blog ..Daisy Fresh =-.

This house is a dream… I wish I could have a home like this .. one day…
    Kisses
    Etta

4. Kimberlee J. says

I guess some people were meant to own these houses and some people (me) were born to read about them. Thanks for sharing!

5. Ann says

If only I were looking for a home in the $8 mil range! Beautiful and I’d negotiate to keep the furnishings. Anyone know what the annual upkeep on a house like this would be? I can’t imagine. Obviously if you can afford $8 million you don’t need to ask.

So perfect in every way. I love the set & the for sale home too. Maybe I’d change the countertops to marble? Oh, a girl can dream. Have a great week! xox MBM
    .-= melissa´s last blog ..A to Z Me Me Me! =-.

This is a fabulous post, as always! The house is so gorgeous, and I was intrigued by how much they kept in the movie. Who wouldn’t want to use this one–it’s perfect!

I am behind, so now I need to go check out Meg’s house, and the houseboat from Sleepless in Seatle.

~Misti
    .-= Misti England´s last blog ..Never Underestimate the Power of Paint =-.

That place is lovely! Thanks for sharing it.

I finally saw The Time Traveler’s Wife. Do you know anything about the house in that film? Holy cats is it gorgeous!

Hope you are well!
    .-= Kelley´s last blog ..The Role of Fear in Soul Travel =-.

9. T. says

It’s a beautiful home, but my goodness, what would you do with all those rooms?

This is such an elegant and timeless house. I do think the collection of pictures over the kitchen fireplace is a big improvement, but I just love the kitchen. I don’t think I would ever leave the sunroom–love that ottoman! Thanks for the tour!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Hooray for Hollywood….A Metamorphosis =-.

11. Mercedes says

I love this post Julia, It gives for me the possibility of see the great differences in profesional lighting for the screen, that makes everything looks tottally diverse!!!
    It`s a great house and incredible pictures
    thanks again!!
    I love mondays!!

Oh for pete’s sake, that house is real?! I think I was happier thinking it was a soundstage, now I’m completely green eyed jealous of whoever gets to live in this gorgeous space!! Although I think I would be happy if all I had was the sunroom with the bookshelves. I don’t think I would need the rest of the house, I’d spend all my time in there anyway. But I still want the rest of it!

13. Susan says

Never saw this movie either, but LOVE the house. Often these big places seem cold to me, not this one at all. Amazing. I like how in the movie they painted the hall heat vent to match the wall. Much better, IMO.

14. Evelyn says

Gorgeous home…aren’t movie stars lucky…they get to be in all the best places. Sigh.

Wow, this is a beautiful house! It feels so cozy, even though it’s humongous. How fun to get to look all through it!

Is it possible they have soapstone counters in the kitchen, which sometimes give off a green cast?
    .-= Kelli´s last blog ..I got the spring cleaning blues =-.

16. Cindy says

I enjoyed this post so much. How can I get a job where I just go around looking for houses to make movies in? My Dream Job. Thanks again Julia.

Wow! I’d LOVE to live in a house like this! In fact I’d just like to live in the book shelve lined sunroom! Just beautiful! Thank you for showing us it, Julia!
    ?Pat
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Brooklyn Celebrity Path =-.

18. Nadia Mahanor says

I know you posted this yesterday, but really this does keep us on track for ” Meg Monday’s”. :)

19. Hamtonitegal says

Another beautiful home. There’s another movie that I have to pop into the DVD player because I love the house! It’s the same way I feel about Something’s Gotta Give. That house. I should have known this home was in MA. They have the most gorgeous grounds and homes there. I’m assuming, because I didn’t look at the listing price, but with the gorgeous grounds and location, it can’t be going for less than two million or a tad more. I may be lowballing it. It’s stunning. I love every part of it. MA alone is a place to live that is so beautiful! I remember living there when I was a child because my father was born and raised there. I was so angry when we moved because he was stationed elsewhere in the Air Force. It’s still my favorite. East Coast homes are so beautiful. Going to Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard can bring a smile to anyone’s face! The scenery is gorgeous!! : ))

20. E. George says

Hi Julia what a great post thanks…. I love the real entrance… I love all the rooms of the actual house better than the movie setting… WOW its a beautiful home… You got me … I am speechless… Regards Esther (one can only dream) from Sydney….

21. Cher says

Gor.ge.ous! That wall of bookshelves and all those built-ins make my heart leap with joy.

22. jodi from new jersey says

That kitchen! I am totally in love. Of course I prefer the beadboard version. I’m not a stainless steel girl. Fyi anyone , that stainless shows fingerprints like crazy. My Mom had it and it drove me nuts. I had to control myself from windexing constantly… Bead board is better in my book.. Thanks Julia.

Yesiree, I could move right in. Our house was considered for the movie The Final Season. Not many movies are filmed in Cedar Rapids so it was kind of a big deal for us. Sadly they chose a much more modern home. I can’t lie, I was kind of disappointed. :(
    Pam @ Becolorful
    .-= pam @ becolorful´s last blog ..Inspired by Ballard Designs =-.

24. Thomas says

I’m in the movie business and would guess the stainless steel backsplash behind the stove was removed due to reflections (of lights and crew).