For Sale: The Colonial Revival House Used in “The Women”

by hookedonhouses on April 25, 2010

Meg Ryan's house-The Women

When I wrote about Meg Ryan’s traditional red-brick house from the 2008 remake of The Women, I asked whether any of you knew where it was located. Not only did a reader named Susan tell me that it’s in Dover, Massachusetts, but she sent me a link to the listing for it. That’s right–it’s for sale! And that means we get to peek inside and see what it really looks like.

What’s more, there are lots of wonderful photos that prove what I suspected–that the movie was filmed inside the actual house, instead of on a soundstage. Wanna see?

The Women-real house exterior lake

The listing details:

This 1906 Colonial Revival style residence has been carefully renovated by craftsmen using the finest materials to preserve its historic architectural details. The 26 acre estate, comprised of open fields, scenic ponds and a variety of mature trees, is located in a neighborhood setting. There is a guest house, carriage house with caretaker’s apartment and stable wing, recreation lodge, additional outbuildings, swimming pool, tennis court and buildable lot.

Sounds good to me! Let’s compare the photos from the listing with scenes from the movie.

The Entry Hall (Listing Photo):

The Women-real house entry

Meg Ryan as Mary Haines walking through the same entry in the film:

entry hall

The Living Room (Listing Photo):

The Women-real house living room

Mary’s party guests mingled in this room:

living room-mantel

The Living Room Decorated for Christmas:

fireplace-decorated for Cmas

The Dining Room (Listing Photo):

The Women-real house dining room

In the movie, they put a desk in this room and made it Stephen’s study:

study

The Kitchen (Listing Photo):

The Women-real house kitchen

For the movie, they hung a collection of framed paintings over the black fireplace:

kitchen 3

It was difficult to get a good screenshot the fireplace wall. Here you can see part of it behind Meg (as Mary):

kitchen 9

In the movie, there’s a stained beadboard backsplash that goes all the way behind the stove:

Mary Haines kitchen 1

In the listing, you can see there is a stainless-steel backsplash behind the stove instead. The counters also look like they’ve been changed from green to black, don’t they?

The Women-real house kitchen 2

Notice there is a TV on the counter in the listing, in the same spot as there was in the movie. However, the real-life TV is smaller and more practical (the bigger one looks like it would block the cabinet doors a little):

kitchen 7

The Master Bedroom (Listing Photo):

The Women-real house bedroom

The Master Bedroom in the movie wasn’t quite as nice. The bed looked too small, for one thing.  I think it’s interesting how they did a similar fabric treatment behind the headboard:

Mary Haines bedroom-The women

There are some rooms we didn’t get to see in the movie (or only got fleeting glimpses of) that are shown in the listing:

The Women-real house piano room

I love this sunroom lined with built-in bookshelves:

The Women-real house sunroom

We saw the exterior of this sunroom in the movie:

exterior side

This is your chance to live in Mary Haines’ house! Check out the listing for more information.

To see more photos from the movie–and from the original 1938 version–visit my post about The Women. You can see Meg Ryan’s real house in Bel Air, too. (As I said before, I might have to change the name of my series from “Movie Mondays” to “Meg Mondays”!)

Visit my TV/Movie Houses page for more!

LoveFeast Table April 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I love the sunroom!
.-= LoveFeast Table´s last blog ..Fancy Friday Lemon Zest =-.

Nita April 25, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Love the acreage and the house!

Annie@A View on Design April 26, 2010 at 12:31 am

wow – gorgeous home – love that entry – divine!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..St Kilda style by the beach =-.

Kim April 26, 2010 at 12:33 am

Wow! I love the actual house. One of my favorite rooms is the dining room with all that dark wood.

Thanks for sharing!

Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury April 26, 2010 at 1:36 am

Just saw this movie for the first time a few days ago and noticed that I liked the kitchen. Much more than I liked the movie itself. Were we supposed to actually like any of those cartonish women? You could use this one to start a new series, Julia: “When bad movies happen to good houses”.
.-= Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury´s last blog ..Daisy Fresh =-.

Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury April 26, 2010 at 1:38 am

Typing too fast… cartoonish. As in flat and without depth. : )
.-= Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury´s last blog ..Daisy Fresh =-.

linda@LimeintheCoconut April 26, 2010 at 2:36 am

Nice nice nice….good sleuthing as usual~!
.-= linda@LimeintheCoconut´s last blog ..A cottage…a color…a collection… =-.

etta April 26, 2010 at 3:01 am

This house is a dream… I wish I could have a home like this .. one day…
Kisses
Etta

Kimberlee J. April 26, 2010 at 4:13 am

I guess some people were meant to own these houses and some people (me) were born to read about them. Thanks for sharing!

Things That Inspire April 26, 2010 at 5:12 am

Great post! Loved seeing this house. The kitchen is so small compared to the size of the house and the size of the property, but I guess that is a sign of the times in which it was built – kitchens were tucked away and small.
.-= Things That Inspire´s last blog ..Glass front cabinets – form over function? =-.

Nichole April 26, 2010 at 5:53 am

I love this house. I noticed in the movie version of the kitchen that one of the small pictures looks like a “moth picture” that I saw on a couple different blogs recently. Of course it’s early in the morning and I can’t remember which blogs. :)

.-= Nichole´s last blog ..My Car: The CD Graveyard =-.

le April 26, 2010 at 6:23 am

some great spaces in this home … the sunroom has me :) le
.-= le´s last blog ..Delights from the Holiday House =-.

Ann April 26, 2010 at 6:40 am

If only I were looking for a home in the $8 mil range! Beautiful and I’d negotiate to keep the furnishings. Anyone know what the annual upkeep on a house like this would be? I can’t imagine. Obviously if you can afford $8 million you don’t need to ask.

melissa April 26, 2010 at 6:53 am

So perfect in every way. I love the set & the for sale home too. Maybe I’d change the countertops to marble? Oh, a girl can dream. Have a great week! xox MBM
.-= melissa´s last blog ..A to Z Me Me Me! =-.

Misti England April 26, 2010 at 7:16 am

This is a fabulous post, as always! The house is so gorgeous, and I was intrigued by how much they kept in the movie. Who wouldn’t want to use this one–it’s perfect!

I am behind, so now I need to go check out Meg’s house, and the houseboat from Sleepless in Seatle.

~Misti
.-= Misti England´s last blog ..Never Underestimate the Power of Paint =-.

Kelley April 26, 2010 at 7:32 am

That place is lovely! Thanks for sharing it.

I finally saw The Time Traveler’s Wife. Do you know anything about the house in that film? Holy cats is it gorgeous!

Hope you are well!
.-= Kelley´s last blog ..The Role of Fear in Soul Travel =-.

Jenny April 26, 2010 at 8:05 am

I never saw that movie, but that is a lovely home!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Links I Like: Edition 12 =-.

T. April 26, 2010 at 8:14 am

It’s a beautiful home, but my goodness, what would you do with all those rooms?

Trish @TheOldPostRoad April 26, 2010 at 8:16 am

I want a long row of bookshelves in a small room like one of those last picts.
-Trish
.-= Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..Table Lamps =-.

Susan April 26, 2010 at 8:24 am

This is such an elegant and timeless house. I do think the collection of pictures over the kitchen fireplace is a big improvement, but I just love the kitchen. I don’t think I would ever leave the sunroom–love that ottoman! Thanks for the tour!
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Hooray for Hollywood….A Metamorphosis =-.

A View on Design by Annie April 26, 2010 at 8:41 am

ok, let’s see if this post sticks!!!
.-= A View on Design by Annie´s last blog ..St Kilda style by the beach =-.

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am

Julia, This house is a little formal for our life style, however, we would learn to adapt …I would buy this house in a hot second…if we could afford it…stunning!
.-= Black Eyed Susans Kitchen´s last blog ..YARD SALE SATURDAY AND ASBURY PARK SUNDAY = FUN WEEKEND =-.

Mercedes April 26, 2010 at 9:01 am

I love this post Julia, It gives for me the possibility of see the great differences in profesional lighting for the screen, that makes everything looks tottally diverse!!!
It`s a great house and incredible pictures
thanks again!!
I love mondays!!

hip hip gin gin April 26, 2010 at 9:04 am

Oh for pete’s sake, that house is real?! I think I was happier thinking it was a soundstage, now I’m completely green eyed jealous of whoever gets to live in this gorgeous space!! Although I think I would be happy if all I had was the sunroom with the bookshelves. I don’t think I would need the rest of the house, I’d spend all my time in there anyway. But I still want the rest of it!

desiree April 26, 2010 at 9:18 am

I think my favorite spot in this home is the sun room. Can you imagine reading all your favorite blogs with a cup of coffee every morning? I can!
.-= desiree´s last blog ..Just Listed: Palo Alto Craftsman =-.

pattie and allie April 26, 2010 at 9:36 am

Love the sunroom and kitchen! Very inviting
xoxo Pattie
.-= pattie and allie´s last blog ..Confirmation, The love of a friend, and Sunday Dinner =-.

Susan April 26, 2010 at 10:08 am

Never saw this movie either, but LOVE the house. Often these big places seem cold to me, not this one at all. Amazing. I like how in the movie they painted the hall heat vent to match the wall. Much better, IMO.

Vicki April 26, 2010 at 11:30 am

Wow! This house is just gorgeous!!
.-= Vicki´s last blog ..The parental stare =-.

Evelyn April 26, 2010 at 11:36 am

Gorgeous home…aren’t movie stars lucky…they get to be in all the best places. Sigh.

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm

What a fabulous view!! My favorite part of the house is that sunroom. I could spend many hours in there. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..My Totally Rad 80s Birthday Party =-.

Kelli April 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Wow, this is a beautiful house! It feels so cozy, even though it’s humongous. How fun to get to look all through it!

Is it possible they have soapstone counters in the kitchen, which sometimes give off a green cast?
.-= Kelli´s last blog ..I got the spring cleaning blues =-.

Cindy April 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I enjoyed this post so much. How can I get a job where I just go around looking for houses to make movies in? My Dream Job. Thanks again Julia.

Pat April 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Wow! I’d LOVE to live in a house like this! In fact I’d just like to live in the book shelve lined sunroom! Just beautiful! Thank you for showing us it, Julia!
?Pat
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Brooklyn Celebrity Path =-.

Nadia Mahanor April 26, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I know you posted this yesterday, but really this does keep us on track for ” Meg Monday’s”. :)

Hamtonitegal April 26, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Another beautiful home. There’s another movie that I have to pop into the DVD player because I love the house! It’s the same way I feel about Something’s Gotta Give. That house. I should have known this home was in MA. They have the most gorgeous grounds and homes there. I’m assuming, because I didn’t look at the listing price, but with the gorgeous grounds and location, it can’t be going for less than two million or a tad more. I may be lowballing it. It’s stunning. I love every part of it. MA alone is a place to live that is so beautiful! I remember living there when I was a child because my father was born and raised there. I was so angry when we moved because he was stationed elsewhere in the Air Force. It’s still my favorite. East Coast homes are so beautiful. Going to Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard can bring a smile to anyone’s face! The scenery is gorgeous!! : ))

Champe April 26, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Beautiful classic architecture throughout.

My Design Guide.com

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish April 26, 2010 at 7:15 pm

LOVE the sunroom! Ah – I want to sit there and read for days!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Mood Board Monday: Hip Nursery! =-.

mishelle April 26, 2010 at 10:12 pm

i like this house . Love the rooms. And looks homey..
.-= mishelle´s last blog ..I did it! I made an Mary Engelbreit inspired Chandy! =-.

E. George April 27, 2010 at 1:41 am

Hi Julia what a great post thanks…. I love the real entrance… I love all the rooms of the actual house better than the movie setting… WOW its a beautiful home… You got me … I am speechless… Regards Esther (one can only dream) from Sydney….

Cher April 27, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Gor.ge.ous! That wall of bookshelves and all those built-ins make my heart leap with joy.

jodi from new jersey April 28, 2010 at 5:59 am

That kitchen! I am totally in love. Of course I prefer the beadboard version. I’m not a stainless steel girl. Fyi anyone , that stainless shows fingerprints like crazy. My Mom had it and it drove me nuts. I had to control myself from windexing constantly… Bead board is better in my book.. Thanks Julia.

pam @ becolorful April 28, 2010 at 10:22 am

Yesiree, I could move right in. Our house was considered for the movie The Final Season. Not many movies are filmed in Cedar Rapids so it was kind of a big deal for us. Sadly they chose a much more modern home. I can’t lie, I was kind of disappointed. :(
Pam @ Becolorful
.-= pam @ becolorful´s last blog ..Inspired by Ballard Designs =-.

Josanne April 28, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I liked the Oriental rug under the master bedroom bed, and also the beautiful entryway! I LOVE looking at homes!!!
.-= Josanne´s last blog ..Simon, Once Again! =-.

Erin April 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I’m in love…. Thanks for sharing this fun listing!

Thomas June 9, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I’m in the movie business and would guess the stainless steel backsplash behind the stove was removed due to reflections (of lights and crew).