Love and Lofts in “He’s Just Not That Into You”

hes-just-not-that-into-you-dvd-cover-2

When I saw the trailers for last year’s comedy He’s Just Not That Into You, I have to admit I didn’t have high hopes for it. But when several of you requested that I do a post about the various lofts and apartments in the movie, I gave it a shot. And it was actually better than I expected.

The movie takes place in a fantasy world (called “Baltimore”) where everyone is young and beautiful, and they all live in hip, modern spaces that feature exposed-brick walls. Lots and lots of brick walls. Well, you’ll see.

Beth & Neil’s Loft:

beths-apt-5

They cast every hot-looking actor on the planet and somehow crammed them into the movie, even if they were given only 5 minutes of screen time each. They’re all searching for love, or trying to hang onto love, or giving each other advice about love.

vlcsnap-510914

Beth (Jennifer Aniston) and Neil (Ben Affleck) have been together for 7 years and share this hip apartment. Beth wants to get married, but Neil isn’t as keen.

beths-apt-4

beths-apt-6

beths-apt-7

beths-apt-8

Beth’s Dad’s House:

beths-dads-house-1

After Beth’s dad has a heart attack, she takes care of him in his beautiful home. I loved all the woodwork.

beths-dads-house-2

beths-dads-house-3

beths-dads-house-4

beths-dads-house-5

beths-dads-house-6

Alex’s Apartment:

alexs-apt-1

Justin Long plays Alex, a ladies’ man who has lots of love advice for Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin). His kitchen looks like it belongs in the back of a restaurant:

alexs-apt-2

Gigi’s Apartment:

gigis-apt-1

Gigi’s apartment is one of the only sets without exposed brick walls. She has a softer, more feminine space, with a bit of a retro feel.

gigis-apt-2

gigis-apt-3

Conor’s Apartment:

conors-apt

Conor (Kevin Connolly) lives in an apartment with plenty of brick that looks like it could be in the same building as Beth’s. All the rooms are open to each other–the bedroom, kitchen, and living area are divided only by partial walls.

conors-apt-2

Janine’s Townhouse:

janines-ext-21

Janine (Jennifer Connelly) and her husband Ben (Bradley Cooper) are renovating their townhouse.

janines-house-3

janines-house-4

After the renovations are final:

janines-house-8

janines-house-5

janines-house-6

janines-house-7

The movie was inspired by the nonfiction bestseller He’s Just Not That Into You–a catchphrase made popular in a classic “Sex and the City” episode (you can see my post about the SatC sets here).

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more!

Comments

Hmmm, interesting. Didn’t see the movie so I’m glad to get a preview here and enjoy the setting. Some of those looked like they could be the same place with just the furniture moved around.

Christi @ A Southern Life
    .-= Christi at A Southern Life´s last blog ..Southern Spring Countdown =-.

2. Sarah says

My mother lives in a Baltimore rowhome with and has exposed brick. Many of the updated rowhomes are beautiful and exposed brick *is* pretty common in the area. She, however, has a less modern furnishings.

• hookedonhouses says

Sarah–
      I wondered if they really looked like that in Baltimore or not. Thanks! -Julia

I remember when I was living with my roommate – and we were both single – we LOVED this book!! It is hilarious! The movie is much more funny if you’ve read the book! I’ve watched it too many times now on the movie channel.

~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..Ash Wednesday =-.

I haven’t seen this movie but your photos make me want to give it a whirl.
    To answer your question, I am a bit intrigued by Neil’s apartment but I guess I am a traditional girl and heart and I love the dad’s house. That staircase is awesome.
    .-= Pamela Rosenberg´s last blog ..Rooms of Color A Mini Tour of My Home =-.

I like Ginnifer Goodwin’s apartment and Jennifer Aniston’s dad’s home the best. :) You’re right…the woodwork is gorgeous! I can see that the spaces are fun to look at–is the movie worth a Redbox trip? 😉 I like some of the actors mentioned.

Also, I saw the preview for the new SATC movie on Saturday night at Chick Flick Club. I think I was the only girl in the theatre to be excited. My friends were all teasing me b/c of how much I liked the glittery title font. 😉
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Preserving Your Memories Without Losing Your Sanity =-.

When I was younger I would have wanted Beth and Neil’s apartment. I was only into edgy, trendy, and somewhat bohemian chic back then. Now I gravitate to the classic, cozy and comfortable. Now I like the pics of Beth’s father’s home and Gigi’s apartment. Thanks for always posting what we all want to look at a bit closer!

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..The Heart of My Cottage =-.

7. Desirae says

Great post! I am so happy I found your website I love it! I have been trying to redecorate my living room and have been using your website. I keep staring at the 44X44 piece of abstract art i bought wondering why the wall still looks empty lol. Anyway thanks you website is the highlight of this mommy’s day!
    Dez

I’d love to see more of Beth’s dad’s house. I love the woodwork too. I think that I really like Janine’s townhouse. I’d like to live there at least for a little while. You know, before I decide that I have to have a yard and detached house that’s quieter.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Can You Smell It? =-.

I adored Gigi’s apartment. She reminded me of myself in the movie ‘unlucky in love’ but hopefully I will have a happy ending as she does.

Kiki Nakita
    .-= Kiki Nakita´s last blog ..The art of laundry =-.

I agree with a few others–Beth’s father’s house and Gigi’s. The rest are way too trendy and all the brick was about to make me sick! Seriously. Like if my brain ingested one more brick-filled photo it was going to throw up.
    .-= Amber´s last blog ..nemisis, thy name is jigsaw! =-.

Love all that exposed brick!!! I lived in a small place like that back in DC during the late 90s. It was an english basement (Laverne and Shirley-style windows and all). Even though it was TEENY and I could touch my ceilings, I LOVED how different it was compared to So Cal architecture. : )
    .-= the BLAH BLAH BLAHger´s last blog ..Blog Sugar – A Networking Event with Flair =-.

Such a great post! All the homes are lovely in their own way, but I think my favorite to actually live in would be Beth and Neil’s loft. It is so open but somehow manages to look warm and homey. Love it!
    .-= Hip Hip Gin Gin´s last blog ..Happy Friday! =-.

13. Beth says

Hi Julia,
    These are my favorite posts (as you may know, I think I always comment on them.) I just watched Vin Diesel in The Pacifier–beautiful home, you should check it out.

We saw this movie recently and for some reason none of the apartments/lofts stood out. Beth’s dad’s house was more to our liking. We’ve spent some time in various neighborhoods in Baltimore (or Ballmur as the locals call it). Believe it or not, it does seem as if everyone lives in a loft or townhouse with exposed brick! Always looked and felt cold to us . . . . .
    .-= Celebrity Digs HQ´s last blog ..Robert Redford’s Former Malibu Home for Sale at $13.8M =-.

15. Meg says

I have seen this -and my husband and I both joke the reason they chose Baltimore is because it is a city where regular folks can (still) afford to have pretty amazing real estate.
    (Unlike most movies – ie “The Break Up” condo that I dream of)

16. Kim says

I love the dad’s house, especially the staircase, and the woodwork on the walls. The lofts are too boring to me and I have never liked brick.

I was laughing at your comments on the movie….I thought the same thing :)! Not as bad as I was expecting. Always love vising over here Julia!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..A long 9 months =-.

Didn’t like any of the interiors. Very dark, depressing and way too cluttered. I was editing the rooms in my mind. Thanks for the post.

I love this movie and the set design is great, I think Jen’s place was my favorite because of the artwork though!
    .-= Laurie Jones´s last blog ..Miles Redd =-.

The one that’s the best fit for me would be Beth’s dad’s house-mainly because I’m married with 4 young kids and can’t quite envision putting us all in a hip loft. Thanks for posting…..love your blog.
    .-= Alison Agnew´s last blog ..Flea Market Stuff =-.

21. Kristen says

Have you heard about the church in Kyloe, Northumberland. I received it in an e-mail and I thought it was very cool. You might have already done it in an earlier post. A couple bought a church and turned it into a house.

Love this post by the way and love ALL of your posts!

22. E. George says

Hi Julia thanks for this post I must admit this movie did not interest me because it did not look like it had any charm so I gave it a miss none of the sets had charm or soul either sorry. The next Jennifer Aniston movie – Love Happens now that looks good and charming chick flick bring it on. Regards from Esther in Sydney

I liked the movie – wished it had been around when I was single – saving me lots of drama! LOVED the homes in the movie, too. Beth’s dad house was my fave!
    .-= Debra´s last blog ..No time… =-.

24. Khiori says

Liked the Dad’s house, of course. What’s interesting though is how much like my first apartment Ginny’s is. And that was in 1975. I actually bought an old retro table, had old yard sale lamps, ceramic cats (check) and even one of those stiff-velvet (?) chairs with the wood on the arms donated by an aunt.