“Spanglish:” Two Houses & a Restaurant

spanglish-dvdThe Adam Sandler-Tea Leoni movie Spanglish came out in 2004, and it featured two memorable houses–their main residence and the Malibu beach house that they rent for the summer. Sandler’s character, a chef named John Clasky, runs a charming little restaurant that adds even more eye candy in the film.

John and Deborah’s House:

spanglish-house-exterior

The story is about a Mexican immigrant named Flor (played by Paz Vega, who, like her character, doesn’t speak English). She goes to work at John and Deborah’s house, and the challenges go far beyond the language barrier.

spanglish-house-exterior-deborah

spanglish-house-staircase

spanglish-hurt-nose

spanglish-pool

spanglish-house-back

spanglish-kit2

spanglish-breakfast-rm2

spanglish-breakfast-rm3

spanglish-living-rm2

spanglish-living-rm3

Cloris Leachman plays the grandmother.

spanglish-living-rm4

vlcsnap-353947

The upstairs landing features a great photo wall:

spanglish-upstairs-hall

spanglish-mbr1

spanglish-mbr2

spanglish-mbr4

John’s Restaurant:

restaurant-ext

restaurant-fireplace

restaurant-kitchen

restaurant-night

The Malibu Beach House:

malibu-house-exterior

They rent a beach house in Malibu for the summer. Again, we don’t get a good look at the exterior–this is the only (fleeting) shot of it:

malibu-living-rm

The tiny kitchen has blue and white diamond tiles on the walls:

malibu-kitchen

malibu-doors

malibu-bedroom1

malibu-game-room

Writer and director James L. Brooks says, “The movie was based on the idea that decency can be sexy.”

malibu-fireplace

malibu-night-deck

malibu-back

The living room opens to reveal this wonderful water view from the deck:

malibu-view

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more!

The second Sex and the City movie is being filmed in NYC right now, so I thought it would be fun to revisit the first…
Bewitched movie Isabel's house Nicole Kidman
Last week we took a look at Samantha's house on the classic 1960s sitcom Bewitched, so I thought it would be fun to feature the…

Comments

Hi Julia
    This is one of my all time favourite movies. Each of the character has such individual strengths and charm, it’s hard to pick a favourite character, but Cloris Leachman’s part and acting is simply wonderful.

The houses won me over too.. The main house, the restuarant, and of course the Malibu beach house decorated with flea market finds. I’ve been wanting to post on this movie myself but could never find any pics, so finding your post this morning is a treat to start my Monday. Have a great week. Julie
    .-= Julie´s last blog ..VINTAGE Venezia: Faded Beauty =-.

I’m so glad you included the restaurant! I loved it and it’s one of the things I look most forward to when watching the movie. I really like that you’re elevated two or three steps above the dining room when you walk in the door. That it has a fireplace makes it so cozy and romantic, and the exterior is very charming.
    Thanks Julia!
    .-= Tracy´s last blog ..Fall? Not So Much =-.

3. Brenda Mortimer says

Hi Julia, thanks for this posts, I love both houses, the cluttered look is incredible
    Great site!!
    Please show us pictures from house of Jane Fonda in Monster in law
    Have a great week

4. Mrs. Crompton says

Another fabulous house was the beautiful family home in the movie “Unfaithful.” It was very large, much too big for just three people but it’s so gorgeous! It’s my dream home. Also in the movie Double Jeopardy, Ashley Judd’s character and her husband live in an amazing home. You see very little of it but what you do see is fabulous. Lots of wood grains and huge windows. A movie I actually just finished watching today was The Duchess with Keira Knightley. I don’t know if you are interested in castle style homes but you get tons and tons of fabulous shots of the interior and exterior of the castle they live in and it is lush and amazing as well. That should keep you pretty busy haha! Thanks for creating this site, I love architecture and interior design much like you. I always save my favortie pictures as I come across them. I’ve created quite the massive folder on my computer so I frequent this site a lot! :)

5. Dawn says

I haven’t seen the movie but would probably love it. You’ve inspired me to watch it.

I love, love, love, love the house!

Hi Julia,

I love the houses ! I remember that I was indeed looking at all the shots of these houses and wasn’t following the movie anymore! That happens a lot to me!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Greet
    .-= Greet´s last blog ..A passionated woman =-.

7. E. George says

Hi Julia, must say I loved the movie – the restaurant and the house in Malibu a great view . I watch a movie for the story first then I go back and start looking at everything else the houses and the locations ……. some of them take your breath away…. Thank you Julia ……. Regards from Sydney

I love that John and Deborah’s house proves that a home doesn’t have to have the latest new thing–this house has a warm feeling of people who are comfortable (of course they weren’t!) Love that kitchen. And I do love Cloris Leachman. She created an incredible career after her appearance in the Miss America pageant!
    .-= susan´s last blog ..A Just Ducky Baby Shower =-.

I’ve only seen bits and pieces of this movie but I really liked how the house actually looked like a real house, slightly disorganized, cluttered in parts. It’s not decorated to perfection….like in Something’s Gotta Give, but I do LOVE that house too….maybe people in the Hamptons really do live in perfect decorated homes!

Great post, I love movie mondays!
    .-= tricia @ danish dessert´s last blog ..the big reveal (catherine’s finished bedroom)… =-.

I’m not an Adam Sandler fan, but I loved this movie which I think is his best. Of course, Cloris Leachman made the movie for me, but I love Tea Leoni, and I thought Paz Vega was wonderful, too. I never understood why they promoted this as a straight comedy in the trailers. Yes, it had comedic moments, but it was so much more. I think more people would have gone to see it in the theater, if they had shown its more well-rounded persona.
    .-= Susan Drummond´s last blog ..It’s official…. =-.

It’s now confirmed that I’m housily obsessed. I can’t remember anything about this film except the pastel painted kitchen cabinets and deck that opens onto the sea. How sad is that?!! The plot? Gone. The characters? I remember Tea Leoni being angry a lot, but that was pretty much it. But that deck … you and I will meet someday on a deck like that and sip something cool while talking about films, Julia – I know we will!
    .-= janice´s last blog ..101 Slightly Unpredictable Tips for Novelists and Screenwriters =-.

12. peggy harville says

I now sleep in the iron bed from the movie Spainglish. It is in Ms.

The sandwich he makes (that is used on the DVD menu) is what I keep thinking about from this movie! The way the yolk drips perfectly…yum!
    I’ve wanted to blog about it before & couldn’t find a picture online, so I haven’t yet. If you ever come across a pic of it, let me know!
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..Friday Finds…A GIVEAWAY by Vintage Vixen Couture =-.

14. Gwynneth says

Yay! You did do a piece on “Spanglish”! I’d forgotten about the restaurant…how could I? Actually, of all three places, I like its decor the best. It’s more cohesive and the Mediterranean feel is warmer. I’d LIVE there (esp. if I were John Clasky, with a hysterical wife like that!).

The Malibu beach house is great inside, but it’s so crowded, it was almost sad when Cristina (sp?) is gushing over it as they drive up, calling it “a toy store for the rich” in her college essay.

One bit of trivia from the DVD–that rock she sits on is fake! I’ve seen it in some catalog.

Fave scenes from that part of the film: the beach glass collecting and the blow-out over it between John and Flor, with Christina translating. Brilliant!

The Clasky’s house is very “livable”, esp. for LA. I really like the “nook” in the master bedroom, in which Deborah hides before “confessing” to John. Despite the drama, it’s cute, as if she’s a little kid. Cloris Leachman is superb in this. Actually, my favorite part of their house is the exterior–all those vines and walls–like some Tudor ruin in an English village. And the lush neighborhood, when Deborah and Flor have their ridiculous (yet pathetic) foot race.

Oh, yes…that sandwich! I keep meaning to make one, but haven’t got the right bread yet. Also, how about that French toast that Bertie is making, before Deb shoots her down by saying, “You could do without that.” Unbelievable. It’s odd how Flor and Deb are both tyrants in their own ways, toward their kids (and Deb toward her mom and husband), yet each woman judges the other harshly.