“Spanglish:” Two Houses & a Restaurant

by hookedonhouses on September 27, 2009

spanglish-dvdWelcome to Movie Monday, when I feature the sets from our favorite films. The Adam Sandler-Tea Leoni movie Spanglish came out in 2004, and it featured two memorable houses–their main residence and the Malibu beach house that they rent for the summer. Sandler’s character, a chef named John Clasky, runs a charming little restaurant that adds even more eye candy in the film.

The story is about a Mexican immigrant named Flor (played by Paz Vega, who, like her character, doesn’t speak English). She goes to work at John and Deborah’s house, and the challenges go far beyond the language barrier.

John and Deborah’s House:

spanglish-house-exterior

I got kind of irritated because they never showed the entire exterior of the house. This is the most they ever gave us.

spanglish-house-exterior-deborah

The entry:

spanglish-entry

spanglish-house-staircase

I love that they have a Foosball table in the middle of this room:

spanglish-hurt-nose

The backyard pool:

spanglish-pool

The back of the house:

spanglish-house-back

Kitchen:

spanglish-kit2

spanglish-kitchen1

spanglish-kitchen-liv-rm

spanglish-fetch

Looking into the breakfast room:

spanglish-breakfast-room-overview

spanglish-breakfast-rm2

spanglish-breakfast-rm3

spanglish-liv-rm

The living room:

spanglish-living-rm2

spanglish-living-rm3

Cloris Leachman plays the grandmother. She’s fabulous, as usual.

spanglish-living-rm4

spanglish-living-rm

vlcsnap-353947

The upstairs landing features a great photo wall:

spanglish-upstairs-hall

John (Adam Sandler) in the master bedroom:

spanglish-mbr1

spanglish-mbr2

From the deleted scenes on the DVD, there was one scene that took place in the Master Bedroom that gave us a couple of new views of the room and shows the entire fireplace wall:

spanglish-mbr3

spanglish-mbr4

John’s Restaurant:

restaurant-ext

restaurant-fireplace

restaurant-kitchen

John takes Flor to see his restaurant:

restaurant-night

The Malibu Beach House:

malibu-house-exterior

They rent a beach house in Malibu for the summer. Again, we don’t get a good look at the exterior–this is the only (fleeting) shot of it:

malibu-living-rm

The tiny kitchen has blue and white diamond tiles on the walls:

malibu-kitchen

malibu-doors

malibu-hall

malibu-bedroom1

The paneled game room:

malibu-game-room

malibu-fireplace

The deck at night, looking into the family room:

malibu-night-deck

Flor’s daughter Cristina sits on the beach behind the house:

malibu-back

The living room opens to reveal this wonderful water view from the deck:

malibu-view

Writer and director James L. Brooks says, “The movie was based on the idea that decency can be sexy.”

(Thanks to everyone who requested Spanglish on my Facebook page!)

Visit my TV/Movie Houses page for links to all of the onscreen houses I’ve featured, from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off to Jane Eyre.

Julie September 27, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Hi Julia
This is one of my all time favourite movies. Each of the character has such individual strengths and charm, it’s hard to pick a favourite character, but Cloris Leachman’s part and acting is simply wonderful.

The houses won me over too.. The main house, the restuarant, and of course the Malibu beach house decorated with flea market finds. I’ve been wanting to post on this movie myself but could never find any pics, so finding your post this morning is a treat to start my Monday. Have a great week. Julie
.-= Julie´s last blog ..VINTAGE Venezia: Faded Beauty =-.

Songbirdtiff September 27, 2009 at 5:07 pm

I suppose if I HAD to, I could survive in that beach house. It would be tough.
.-= Songbirdtiff´s last blog ..Etsy shop-If Autumn Ends =-.

Tracy September 27, 2009 at 5:11 pm

I’m so glad you included the restaurant! I loved it and it’s one of the things I look most forward to when watching the movie. I really like that you’re elevated two or three steps above the dining room when you walk in the door. That it has a fireplace makes it so cozy and romantic, and the exterior is very charming.
Thanks Julia!
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..Fall? Not So Much =-.

Brenda Mortimer September 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Hi Julia, thanks for this posts, I love both houses, the cluttered look is incredible
Great site!!
Please show us pictures from house of Jane Fonda in Monster in law
Have a great week

Susan September 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm

That was fun! Julia, you take us to all the best places! :-) I love those draperies in the master bedroom!
Susan
.-= Susan´s last blog ..When You Are Sitting Comfortably, He Will Begin… =-.

Susan September 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Oh…forgot to say…love that photo wall, too! :-)
.-= Susan´s last blog ..When You Are Sitting Comfortably, He Will Begin… =-.

Mrs. Crompton September 27, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Another fabulous house was the beautiful family home in the movie “Unfaithful.” It was very large, much too big for just three people but it’s so gorgeous! It’s my dream home. Also in the movie Double Jeopardy, Ashley Judd’s character and her husband live in an amazing home. You see very little of it but what you do see is fabulous. Lots of wood grains and huge windows. A movie I actually just finished watching today was The Duchess with Keira Knightley. I don’t know if you are interested in castle style homes but you get tons and tons of fabulous shots of the interior and exterior of the castle they live in and it is lush and amazing as well. That should keep you pretty busy haha! Thanks for creating this site, I love architecture and interior design much like you. I always save my favortie pictures as I come across them. I’ve created quite the massive folder on my computer so I frequent this site a lot! :)

Shelia September 27, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Oh, I love this movie! Thank you for showcasing the house. It’s really a pretty one!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
.-= Shelia´s last blog ..Dreaming of Babies! =-.

Dawn September 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I haven’t seen the movie but would probably love it. You’ve inspired me to watch it.

I love, love, love, love the house!

Greet September 28, 2009 at 2:57 am

Hi Julia,

I love the houses ! I remember that I was indeed looking at all the shots of these houses and wasn’t following the movie anymore! That happens a lot to me!
Thank you for sharing!
Greet
.-= Greet´s last blog ..A passionated woman =-.

E. George September 28, 2009 at 4:56 am

Hi Julia, must say I loved the movie – the restaurant and the house in Malibu a great view . I watch a movie for the story first then I go back and start looking at everything else the houses and the locations ……. some of them take your breath away…. Thank you Julia ……. Regards from Sydney

susan September 28, 2009 at 7:00 am

I love that John and Deborah’s house proves that a home doesn’t have to have the latest new thing–this house has a warm feeling of people who are comfortable (of course they weren’t!) Love that kitchen. And I do love Cloris Leachman. She created an incredible career after her appearance in the Miss America pageant!
.-= susan´s last blog ..A Just Ducky Baby Shower =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now September 28, 2009 at 11:47 am

I love their photo wall, and the back of the house with that awesome balcony is breathtaking. Had forgotten how pretty both of those homes are. I like how “lived-in” the set directors made them look. Like real homes! :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Veni, Vidi, Vici…Or…They Came, They Saw, They Took the Scenic Route =-.

Sarah September 28, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I never saw this movie. Wish we could have seen the outside of their house! I really need to watch more movies!
.-= Sarah´s last blog ..Our House Renovation:: the kitchen =-.

tricia @ danish dessert September 28, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I’ve only seen bits and pieces of this movie but I really liked how the house actually looked like a real house, slightly disorganized, cluttered in parts. It’s not decorated to perfection….like in Something’s Gotta Give, but I do LOVE that house too….maybe people in the Hamptons really do live in perfect decorated homes!

Great post, I love movie mondays!
.-= tricia @ danish dessert´s last blog ..the big reveal (catherine’s finished bedroom)… =-.

Susan Drummond September 29, 2009 at 7:36 am

I’m not an Adam Sandler fan, but I loved this movie which I think is his best. Of course, Cloris Leachman made the movie for me, but I love Tea Leoni, and I thought Paz Vega was wonderful, too. I never understood why they promoted this as a straight comedy in the trailers. Yes, it had comedic moments, but it was so much more. I think more people would have gone to see it in the theater, if they had shown its more well-rounded persona.
.-= Susan Drummond´s last blog ..It’s official…. =-.

janice September 29, 2009 at 3:07 pm

It’s now confirmed that I’m housily obsessed. I can’t remember anything about this film except the pastel painted kitchen cabinets and deck that opens onto the sea. How sad is that?!! The plot? Gone. The characters? I remember Tea Leoni being angry a lot, but that was pretty much it. But that deck … you and I will meet someday on a deck like that and sip something cool while talking about films, Julia – I know we will!
.-= janice´s last blog ..101 Slightly Unpredictable Tips for Novelists and Screenwriters =-.

peggy harville January 24, 2010 at 11:09 am

I now sleep in the iron bed from the movie Spainglish. It is in Ms.

Tina June 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm

The sandwich he makes (that is used on the DVD menu) is what I keep thinking about from this movie! The way the yolk drips perfectly…yum!
I’ve wanted to blog about it before & couldn’t find a picture online, so I haven’t yet. If you ever come across a pic of it, let me know!
.-= Tina´s last blog ..Friday Finds…A GIVEAWAY by Vintage Vixen Couture =-.

Gwynneth August 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Yay! You did do a piece on “Spanglish”! I’d forgotten about the restaurant…how could I? Actually, of all three places, I like its decor the best. It’s more cohesive and the Mediterranean feel is warmer. I’d LIVE there (esp. if I were John Clasky, with a hysterical wife like that!).

The Malibu beach house is great inside, but it’s so crowded, it was almost sad when Cristina (sp?) is gushing over it as they drive up, calling it “a toy store for the rich” in her college essay.

One bit of trivia from the DVD–that rock she sits on is fake! I’ve seen it in some catalog.

Fave scenes from that part of the film: the beach glass collecting and the blow-out over it between John and Flor, with Christina translating. Brilliant!

The Clasky’s house is very “livable”, esp. for LA. I really like the “nook” in the master bedroom, in which Deborah hides before “confessing” to John. Despite the drama, it’s cute, as if she’s a little kid. Cloris Leachman is superb in this. Actually, my favorite part of their house is the exterior–all those vines and walls–like some Tudor ruin in an English village. And the lush neighborhood, when Deborah and Flor have their ridiculous (yet pathetic) foot race.

Oh, yes…that sandwich! I keep meaning to make one, but haven’t got the right bread yet. Also, how about that French toast that Bertie is making, before Deb shoots her down by saying, “You could do without that.” Unbelievable. It’s odd how Flor and Deb are both tyrants in their own ways, toward their kids (and Deb toward her mom and husband), yet each woman judges the other harshly.

{ 1 trackback }