The Sets from “Pillow Talk” With Doris Day & Rock Hudson

by hookedonhouses on February 23, 2009

Last week I featured the movie Down With Love, a tribute to the classic Doris Day-Rock Hudson romantic comedies of the late 1950s-early ’60s. But the truth is, there’s no substitute for the original, so today I thought we’d take a look at the fun sets from Pillow Talk. Nearly 50 years ago, “Pillow Talk” won the Academy Award for Original Screenplay and was received several nominations, including Best Actress in a Leading Role (Doris Day), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Thelma Ritter), and Best Art Direction-Set Decoration.

Jan Morrow (Doris Day) has a wonderful life–a beautiful apartment and a successful career as an interior designer. There’s just one little hitch. She has a party line that she has to share with a playboy named Brad Allen (Rock Hudson) who is always on the phone with one of his many devoted women. Whenever she picks the phone up, he’s likely to be singing to one of them (“You’re my inspiration, ________.” Insert name here.)

Well, Jan gets fed up. She reports him to the phone company, but they send a young woman over to look into the matter who is so charmed by Brad that she takes his side.

The real fun starts when Brad sees Jan in a nightclub and decides to teach her a lesson. He puts on a phony baloney Texas accent, calls himself Rex, and does everything he can to win her over. Before you can say “meet cute,” he falls for Jan for real and has to keep up the act so she won’t find out the truth!

Take a look at these fabulous sets–including the hilarious “revenge makeover” Jan gives Brad’s apartment:

Jan’s apartment with a view of New York City:

Thelma Ritter played her (always hung-over) housekeeper Alma:

Her bathroom (it looks like she has a monogram on her shower curtain and towels):

They had a little too much fun with the split-screen scenes like this one, in which both Jan and Brad are chatting on the phone while taking baths:

I would love to have her study with those views and the balcony off it!

Telling Alma that she has finally met a good man–a gentleman who knows how to treat a lady–and his name is Rex:

Brad’s Bachelor Pad:

Tony Randall played Brad’s best friend. He is in love with Jan himself and has been begging her to marry him to no avail:

In this shot you can see that the living room walls only go so high and are curved. I’d love to see what was behind there!

At Jonathan’s Country House in Connecticut:

When Jonathan (Tony Randall) discovers that Brad has been after Jan, the girl he himself has been wooing, he’s furious. He threatens to tell Jan the truth if Brad doesn’t get out of town right away. He gives Brad the keys to his country house in Connecticut. Brad says, “Sure!” And then he takes Jan along with him for a romantic weekend:

Jan finds some sheet music in Brad’s coat pocket and plays it, only to recognize the tune. “You are my inspiration, ___________.” She realizes she’s been had–Rex is really Brad. He’s busted. She grabs her things and leaves before he even has a chance to set his load of firewood down.

Brad’s Apartment – After Jan Gives It a “Makeover:”

One of the best acts of revenge in movie history, in my opinion. Check out that moose on the wall. And Jan took away his Baby Grand piano, replacing it with a pink player piano that plays–you guessed it–”You’re my inspiration.”

Note the “Home Sweet Home” sampler over his fireplace:

Brad kicks the door in to Jan’s apartment and finds her in bed (she’s hiding under the covers). She refuses to see him, but he’s not taking no for an answer:

He scoops her up and carries her, pajamas, bare feet, electric blanket and all to his apartment. One woman on the street says, “They’ll never believe this back in Wichita Falls.”

This is the first of three comedies starring Day, Hudson and Randall together. Pillow Talk was followed by Lover Come Back and Send Me No Flowers.

I took these pictures while watching the movie.  It’s full of great lines, like when Jan tells Brad, “You know, not every man ends every sentence with a proposition!”

If you missed last week’s post about Down With Love, the 2003 Renee Zellweger-Ewan MacGregor tribute to Doris Day-Rock Hudson movies like this, check it out. It’s fun to compare the sets from the two.

Visit my TV/Movie Houses page for links to all the others I’ve featured, from Sabrina to The American President.

Ramona February 23, 2009 at 8:18 am

Great post! I love Doris Day. She could be a calm, elegant gal and a crazy woman with a temper and do it with the greatest style. Love the view from her place. Have a great week.

Ramona

Ramona’s last blog post..Hooked On Decorating With Fruits and Vegis

bungalow_bliss February 23, 2009 at 8:23 am

Yay! This is one of my fave movies, but it’s been a while since I last saw it. Thanks so much for the quick visit–I’ll be watching it again soon! I, too, loved the ‘revenge’ on Brad’s apartment. Jan/Doris must be a Scorpio!

bungalow_bliss’s last blog post..Taking Care of Business

Lindsay February 23, 2009 at 8:29 am

I have never seen this movie, but it sounds really cute! I’m going to add it to my Netflix list right now. Thanks for sharing the movie shots! I love her bathroom. Funny how it would be almost as elegant now than it was then.

Lindsay’s last blog post..Design of the Times

Shelia February 23, 2009 at 9:08 am

Oh how I love this old movie! I love anything with Doris Day and Rock Hudson. I heard they had been really good friends too!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Amy @ living locurto February 23, 2009 at 9:11 am

I have seen this and it is adorable! Great recap:-)

Amy @ living locurto’s last blog post..I Heart Faces – Week 7

Courtney @ Nesting Instincts February 23, 2009 at 9:32 am

Aaah, this makes me want to see this movie again! It’s been years and I hardly remembered it. That was truly one of the best acts of revenge ever. :-)

Courtney @ Nesting Instincts’s last blog post..movie night

Liz@VioletPosy February 23, 2009 at 9:54 am

It’s funny, I don’t remember there being so much colour in the movie! Time to dig it out and re-watch it I think :)

Liz@VioletPosy’s last blog post..Oh my, we’re paying for this..

Alexis February 23, 2009 at 10:03 am

Love love love it!

Alexis’s last blog post..More Love for Mark Bittman

Holly February 23, 2009 at 10:19 am

I can’t believe I’ve never seen this! I hope Netflix has it.

Holly’s last blog post..10-Minute Makeover of My 10-Minute Makeover

Luphia February 23, 2009 at 10:44 am

this is a beautiful set & movie!

ps, i gave you an award at my blog :)

Luphia’s last blog post..Gossip Girl Style

angela | the painted house February 23, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I love this movie. Mmm, Rock Hudson in the bathtub…too bad he wouldn’t be interested in me in a bathtub. :) I so want those pink kitchen countertops.

angela | the painted house’s last blog post..Seeing Double

Aubrey February 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm

That Rock Hudson is so dreamily handsome. I just saw this one a little while ago and now I have to go get the other movies they did together!

I so wish I had some views like Doris did (I’d never close my curtains either!), instead of my sloppy neighbor across the street who keeps trying to make her yard looks like it has gardens from Better Homes & Gardens without doing the maintenace work it requires and really just inspires a bad yards blog. Oh, and I’m so sick of looking out at everything covered in snow.

Aubrey’s last blog post..Bedheaded Randomness

Lazy Mom Leslie February 23, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Now I need to go rent this one again! Love all the sets!

Natalie at FLHomeBlog February 23, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Love, love, love this movie!

Great post!

Heather February 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Her view is fantastic. I love the house in Send Me No Flowers and the farm and apartment they used in her TV series. Great recap!

Heather’s last blog post..a fabulous weekend

Susan February 23, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Julia, I saw this movie many years ago and loved it…this makes me want to rent it again…heck, now that I think about…I think I bought it. LOL Great movie. I definitely need to rent the others! Fun Post! You take the best pics!

Susan’s last blog post..Welcome the Sixth Metamorphosis Monday!

Christy February 23, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Julia – Fantastic Post!!!!!! I loved every minute of this! As I was scrolling through each image I was stopped at the one where Doris Day is playing the piano at the country house…that room seems so current to me…just change out the drapes and heavy carved pillar!

Christy’s last blog post..Watching Them Grow…

Bettsi February 23, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Oh, that was fun, Julia! Thanks for a great little diversion on a rainy Monday!

Bettsi’s last blog post..Happy Sunday!

Melissa Lewis - Off The Wall February 23, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Loving those pink countertops:) Too funny!

Melissa Lewis – Off The Wall’s last blog post..Do You Notice The Little Reminders?

Robyn February 23, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Hey Julia, This was fun – I love Pillow Talk. Actually I really enjoy all of the DD, RH, & TR movies. ~ Robyn

Robyn’s last blog post..BLUE MONDAY!

Tam February 24, 2009 at 12:32 am

Oh Julia you know I love this post girlfriend! LoL! Now I really have this hankering to go out and rent some Doris Day movies!My favorite part was the revenge scene-that was great! What girl who has had a beef with a boyfriend wouldn’t like to have that much fun getting revenge? That was awesome to sit down right after my workout and read your post~Thank You! Big Giant Smiles~Tam!

Tam’s last blog post..My LiL Weekend Adventure!

boysmum2 February 24, 2009 at 1:54 am

I love Doris, she did some great movies. Pillow Talk was an awesome movie.

boysmum2’s last blog post..Do You Have a Goal?

Kellye February 24, 2009 at 5:39 am

I love Doris Day, too! She was severely under-rated as an actress. I kept hoping that the Academy Awards would give her an honorary Oscar, but she’s almost 85 now, so I doubt it. :(

Love that pink & gray kitchen. Sooooo 50s! Does anyone know which bridge is shown in the background of the windows? Is it the Queensboro/59th St?

montee February 24, 2009 at 10:46 am

I love this movie! Those two made a great pair!

amylouwho February 24, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I’m getting this from the library today to watch again! With new eyes!

amylouwho’s last blog post..attitude adjustment

Ms.Tee February 24, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I’ve never seen this movie, but I love old Doris Day movies. Her revenge makeover is so crazy and funny!

Ms.Tee’s last blog post..Spa Bathroom Sprucing

Aimee February 25, 2009 at 11:44 am

If you haven’t already seen it, watch Send Me No Flowers. The inside of the home is amazing. Also, the house from the movie The Party is a dream house for sure. :)

Aimee’s last blog post..Missing Moscow

ida March 2, 2009 at 5:06 am

one thing about furniture and clothing they keep coming back in style. some of her apartment could be very modern even today.

Bonnie March 6, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I loved Pillow Talk but my fave Doris Day movie is Move Over Darling! I think I’ll rent Pillow Talk and watch it with new eyes. Thanks for a fun post on Fashion Friday!

Bonnie’s last blog post..Mission Bay

Terry March 13, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I love Pillow Talk !
It has the most gorgeous sets,clothes and the music ties it all togehter ,I am so glad to see there are others out there in love with some of the all time classic movie sets.Doris Day is so divine .
Thanks for sharing ! I could go on forever there were so many wonderful Doris Day classic sets .Each one elegant in its own way.
Anyhow thanks for making my day !
have a fantastic weekend .

Nita H. July 13, 2009 at 1:09 am

Doris’ movie with James Garner Move Over Darling (I think) is also lovely. I would love to have that house! Remember, he drives the car into the just built swimming pool in the back yard?

Paula November 23, 2009 at 10:20 am

I love this movie, too! Her apartment must have been state of the art modern for that time. And I love her wardrobe for this movie, too – how classic… even her pajamas look great. And she had a different coat (and jewelry) to match every outfit! My favorite was the hooded coat she’s wearing when they’re driving out to Connecticut. The faux fur trim looks so fluffy and almost frames her face.

amanda April 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I have this movie and I’ve always loved the sets. My favorite is the CT house, I’m so glad you included it.

Susan Orlie May 11, 2010 at 10:51 pm

LOVE, LOVE Doris Day! That Touch of Mink, Send Me No Flowers, Pillow Talk, and Move Over Darling are my favorites. Thelma Ritter is the show stealer of Pillow Talk…she’s a great nosey insurance company nurse in Rear Window too. The houses in Doris Day movies…favorites of mine…house in Send Me No Flowers and the CT house in Pillow Talk. Remind me of Lucy and Ricky’s CT house in I Love Lucy. Love what you do…can always just dive in and find something fun. I’m taking a sabbatical from design to homeschool my kids but have to get my fix every now and then. Had dinner with my old editor that I used to do design and styling for and our favorite photographer on a shoot a couple of weeks ago and felt the tiny itch….but your blog and a couple of others scratch it for me for now!!
Keep it up!!
Susan

Christina August 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

True! Rear Window was great. Thelma was great as the insurance nurse. Poor James Stewart ended up breaking both of his legs. Great movie. Grace Kelly had such class and so pretty. It’s such a shame she died so young. She was pure class as well as James.

Christina August 11, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I love this movie and I love Doris Day’s apartment. She played the role of an interior designer. She has so much class and of course Rock Hudson was great in this role as well. One of my all time favorites. As she said in the movie, ” I have a great apartment, a great career, a great life,” etc., don’t remember the rest, but it was a great part of the movie. The house keeper Thelma Ritter, so funny, was always trying to set her up with everyone … and then she meets Rock and boom she’s in love, although he’s lying to her. Great movie!!

Christina August 26, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I love this movie and I love Doris Days apt. It was great and what better place to live than in NYC? My dream! I’m studying interiors like she did and it’s funny. I never realized that till I saw this movie again. It’s so funny and cute. I loved Rock and Doris’s movies. Fantastic one to put up. Huge fan of hers!!!

{ 1 trackback }