Gwyneth Paltrow’s Tribeca Penthouse in Vogue

Gwyneth Paltrow-August '10 Vogue coverGwyneth Paltrow is on the August 2010 cover of Vogue magazine’s annual “Age Issue.” Inside, the 37-year old Oscar-winning actress poses in the kitchen of her Tribeca penthouse. She has a cookbook coming out in April of 2011 and says, “I always feel closest to my father, who was the love of my life until his death in 2002, when I am in the kitchen.”

Gwyneth Paltrow-Vogue

The kitchen features lots of white marble, but it also has long, flowy curtains framing the floor-to-ceiling windows that soften things up a bit:

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft-kitchen

Her apartment was designed by Roman and Williams, as seen on their website. They write:

For an actress, her musician husband, and their children, Roman and Williams completed a total stripdown to stud and redesign of what was fundamentally a drywall box (with good light). Designing and coordinating all interior architecture and custom decoration of the project with sheer energy and completely rule of everything mundane.

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft-kitchen 2

Gwyneth Paltrow Chris Martin Tribeca Loft Kitchen

The swing in the living room was created from an old Indian door. Gwyneth told W mag: “Even the chains are like a work of art.”

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft-living rm

The house is a little “chilly” for me, but it seems to suit Gwyneth. Remember her house in the Hamptons? It had lots of white and pale pastels, too, and a similar style.

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft 3

Apple’s bedroom features a bed with branches holding a nest, and the walls are painted with birds in flight:

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft-Apple's room

Photos via Roman and Williams. You can see more at Curbed. Read Gwyneth’s Vogue interview here (photo by Mario Testino).

Gwyneth Paltrow Chris Martin Tribeca Loft Bedroom

P.S. Check Out Gwyneth & Chris Martin’s Other Homes:

Their House in L.A.

Their House in the Hamptons

Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more famous digs!

Comments

I think its very beautiful, but I agree with you on the”chilly” statement. Looks like no one really LIVES there.
    AS always though, I really enjoyed taking a look, and the bed in her daughter’s room is amazing!
    Thanks for the post!
    .-= Heather Collins´s last blog ..Free to change =-.

2. Janice says

Cold hard, & unliveable, but that seems to be her personality, so it seems right for her.

Not really… I love that kitchen, but the rest of it is was too icy. It actually looks like the fortress of solitude or something to me… or like the ice queen of Narnia’s palace… Creepy almost.
    .-= Sketch42´s last blog ..Would you wear this =-.

4. Jennifer E. says

Where is the life in this house? Even the toys in the kitchen don’t make it seem like a HOME. While some of the touches are gorgeous, (she seems to like botanicals as I do) there is no sense of her personality at all! Is she really this B-O-R-I-N-G? zzzzzZZZzzzzzz

I totally agree with you. “Chilly” is a great word to describe it. I mean, I like some aspects of it, but it’s too designery for a family that includes two young children. Apple’s bed is really cool, though. There’s nothing wrong with light and airy, but at least their house in the Hamptons has SOME color.
    .-= Kelli´s last blog ..Tuesday Truth 23 – My favorite movie =-.

I also agree with the chilliness factor. With the exception of the kitchen, it looks more like an empty penthouse suite in an upscale hotel than someone’s home. I do like the marble, though…
    .-= Cheri@IHeartOldHouses´s last blog ..Hi Ho- Silver =-.

I like the kitchen…but yes the rest of the house seems cold, and not like a family actually lives there. Keep in mind that her and her family actually live in London though…I suspect this is more of a “hotel” for them when in the US. I wrote about Gwyneth too yesterday….stop by and share your thoughts on her personally!

Karla
    .-= Karla {Kerrisdale Design Inc}´s last blog ..The Other Gwyneth =-.

• hookedonhouses says

Good point. And the designers took these photos before she moved in, so it probably looks more lived-in now. -Julia

8. Evelyn says

Kind of spooky….like her. I really don’t care for her as an actress.

I really like Gwenyth. I miss her. Seems she’s kind of disappeared for a while. Her loft is really cold. I need color…so I’m not really a fan. I DO love Apple’s bed and wallpaper though.
    .-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..weighted concern =-.

The kitchen is the exact opposite as her Hamptons kitchen. How fun to change it up in each home. I am tired of Gweneth but not her homes…

11. laney says

…i would be one sad big person in that place…and i would be an even more miserable little person…

HI,

I ENJOYED YOUR POST TODAY. IT’S CURIOUS TO SEE HOW THE STARS LIVE. I REALLY LIKED HER KITCHEN. LOVE ALL THE WHITE. I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE REST OF THE HOUSE. IT’S NOT VERY COZY AND I NEED A DASH OF COLOR IN MY LIFE FOR IT TO FEEL COZY AND HOMEY. I LOVED WATCHING HER WITH MARIO BATALI IN SPAIN ON THE ROAD AGAIN. HAVE YOU WATCHED IT? CLAUDIA
    .-= Claudia´s last blog ..Just arrived in Nantucket =-.

13. laney says

ps …well maybe i was a bit harsh…we had a porch swing in our family room (thirty years ago) before we could afford a sofa…it is one of my children’s favorite memories…

14. Dean says

Good grief! I love modern, but this place looks and feels more like a mausoleum. Too cold and austere. I can’t help but think about Kathy Griffin joking about her and how humorless and pious she can be. Well, if your environment reflects your true self and personality, I think Ms. Griffin might be right.

This is so disappointing. I’m madly in love with Gwyneth. She is my favorite actress, and I think she’s just gorgeous. However, this house… I love white and neutrals, but this is cold and lifeless. It’s too bad. I’m so glad you showed us these pics, though. Thank you!!!!
    .-= Chris´s last blog ..The Cinderella Chair =-.

Loved that article and the photos of her house. I usually need a bit more cozy in my spaces too, but the clean, uncluttered look of her house really warms my Virgo heart. That is actually my biggest design challenge, I want cozy but I can’t stand clutter or rooms that are too full. When I look at Gwyneth’s house it looks so relaxing and peaceful to me probably because there aren’t too many things for my mile a minute brain to look at.
    .-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Evening =-.

Chilly is a great word to describe this space. But her primary home is in London so maybe that is why it looks so sanitized, and Vogue was there for petes sake haha Anna Wintour would make me want to make everything look pristine too! That hallway is gorgeous and I love Apple’s bed!
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..Comment on How To- Be a Good Houseguest by dallas =-.

18. Karen says

Not ONE bit of personality – anywhere. And the kitchen reminds me of a hospital operating room. The hallway reminds me of a dream you would have – a scary one. The whole place has a dead feeling – maybe it’s all that white marble. Just dreadful . . .

I do love Gwenyth and she looks stunning in this photo shoot, and although the penthouse has incredible bone stucture, it is WAY too bland for me. The colors are soft, but the style isn’t soft enough for my tastes.

And where is the family’s “stuff?” Right?
    .-= pollydove´s last blog ..Aurora and MacKenzie-Childs part 2 =-.

20. Cadesmom says

No. Not a fan of arrogant and ridiculous Gwyneth, her arrogant and ridiculous house and her poor kids’ stupid names.

Who can live like this? Oh….the arrogant and ridiculous.

21. Noula says

I do prefer her kitchen at the Hamptons it looks more of a place that you can cook.
    This one I will be afraid not to spill anything. Ofcource she does not clean her self.

22. Kim says

I like Gwyneth, but the house not so much. It’s so plain, boring, and like others said, “Cold”. Where’s the fun personality? I definitely wouldn’t want to live there.

The bed in the last picture is pretty neat but the rest of the pictures have no personality at all….looks like a public bathroom…

Her house is beautiful, but it looks too picture perfect…very cold like you said. The bed however in the last picture is something I really like. I can live with that for sure.
    -marie
    .-= Marie´s last blog ..White French Mirror =-.

25. Grace says

Mmmmm……….If it wasn’t for the greenery, food & toys in the first picture it would like like an icehouse. Not a fan of either, but not at all surprised!

26. Gwen says

This penthouse has zero character! You would certainly never know that she has kids. And that is kitchen….so sterile!

27. Lacy says

I think it’s gorgeous, but not as a home.
    Maybe as a beautiful church or something.
    I love Apple’s room, but it is NOT a child’s room. I would take her room. That bed is stunning!

28. A.L. says

I think the apartment is quite lovely except for the hallway. For some reason it makes me think of a casino.

I have always been a fan of her movies, although I know many find her to be cold and a bit out-of-touch. I too find it to be a bit “chilly”, but it is very beautiful. I like her place in the Hamptons better :)
    .-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..Birthday Celebrations =-.

30. claire says

Beautiful!
    Naysayers – please post pix of your home; your kitchen and a childs room – who’s first?

31. HollyM says

I’d love to see you do a feature on a movie she was in several years ago with Michael Douglas: A Perfect Murder. I loved that apartment!

This is just a bit too Good Humor chilly for me, but I do like the whimsey of her daughter’s bed.

I’m actually not a HUGE fan of Gwyneth…she always comes across as a bit full of her own self-importance, in interviews…but I have to say, I actually like this house surprisingly a lot! I think considering the one photographs were taken before anyone actually moved in, and the other photographs were taken for Vogue, that might be why the place looks so “chilly.” But I was thinking that the place actually looked pretty kid-friendly – they have thick furry rugs on the floor, squishy ottomans, a bench in the kitchen, a porch swing, etc. Although, the fact that everything is white or pastel might be an issue! Ha!
    .-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..Blue =-.

Very stylish …but very barren and cold. If one’s environment is a good indicator of personality I wouldn’t guess that Gwyneth would be a lot of fun to hang with. I’d like to see the room where they stored all the clutter 😉

I actually like it but not to the point where I could come home to it every single day. I’m guessing she has a team of people keeping those whites white too and that’d be no small feat. For the average gal that’s not a feasible thing to do, especially when you add kids and a husband. The kitchen is gorgeous for that particular style but it’s so overly clean looking. I wouldn’t want to ruin it with bread crumbs or soup spots (maybe that’s how she stays so thin, she doesn’t want to ruin her white kitchen by cooking). I can appreciate the beauty in the place though, maybe if I were single and rich and had other homes like she does so I could get a change of scenery now and then. I think you would really like the prize home I’m featuring on my blog right now. It’s a lot more family friendly.
    Great post Julia!
    Heidi@RecklessBliss
    xoxo
    .-= Heidi@recklessbliss´s last blog ..Win This Home! =-.

35. Susan S says

I agree with you that it is a bit sterile or “chilly” as you put it. I think the hall featuring the silvery-colored wallpaper(?) is beautiful, but I would have used it only on the ceiling as it seems like a bit of overkill.
    Apple’s bed is adorable!

36. Christina says

I don’t like it at all. Doesn’t look inviting. It looks like a museum. Who needs that.. you want something that is cozy, inviting, comfortable and makes you feel great to be there. All white? No thanks. That place needs some color and redecoration. Just because you have money doesn’t mean you have good taste. These photos prove it.

37. Kate says

it is beautiful, maybe for a single woman or a couple but white curtains in the kitchen, does anyone else see Moses wiping his food stained hands on them after dinner?? ah horror! the hallway is creepy but also beautiful, something about it isn’t quite right, a bit like a tunnel. Apples room is beautiful but not the room for a little girl, no personality or ‘little girl’ things…. sad really!

When you think of all the money Ms Paltrow had on hand to spend for a home, it is a bit disappointing that this is what she chose to build! One of the other posters put it best when she described it as the Winter Queen’s ice palace in Narnia!
    .-= Arlene @At Home with the Grimms´s last blog ..I Missed My Sticks! =-.

Although it’s quite pretty…I agree with you that it is also “chilly”. It could use a bit more of a livable feel to it. (Although I must say I love Apple’s bird’s nest bed.) Oh, and I love Gwyneth’s turn as “Emma” as well…
    .-= Wendy @ The Shabby Nest´s last blog ..Urban Images =-.

I’ve enjoyed some of her films and my heart broke for her when, not long after losing my beloved artistic daddy to cancer, she lost hers at about the same age. I do not, however, relate to the penthouse. I find it quite oppressive, and as a klutz….I bruise just looking at all of those sharp corners. It would be fun to slide on those floors…but not inadvertently. I do think the exterior wall of the kitchen is lovely.

: )

Julie M.
    .-= The Little Red Shop´s last blog ..Road Trippin Highway 101 =-.

41. Sally says

Its too white for me, it seems too cold and not inviting at all….but I do love Apples bed!

Geez-do you think they’re actually living there? As a former stylist for magazine photographers I have to wonder if the art director had the place cleared out? Not one framed photo, book, flower? Maybe a piece of fruit somewhere? Humm, I know the uber wealthy live differently, but even they prefer to live in homes and not furniture showrooms or marble yards.
    .-= lu´s last blog ..Really At Home =-.

Way too chilly for me too. The only place to curl up with a good book is Apple’s bed.

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

44. Nita says

I really don’t enjoy so much any more seeing the celebutards’ homes, especially since so many real people are struggling. This was all done up by a designer, no personality, just big bucks. ::sigh::

45. jan says

Not only chilly but claustrophobic for me. No sign of a real home or light. She makes lovely movies but I would live elsewhere if I were she.

I don’t like it. It looks like an upscale hotel to me, not a home. I wouldn’t want to live there.
    .-= rie´s last blog ..Etsy Friends =-.

47. Chrissy says

I love the kitchen but really?? Kids can live in that house??? Those white curtains in the kitchen – my kids would have ketchup or peanut butter all over them within minutes. Of course, Goop probably doesn’t allow her children to eat such garbage. :o) Apple’s room is beautiful but is that fabric on the walls of the hallway?? All I can imagine is a kid walking around with a marker or dirty hands and destroying them ….

48. Nancy says

Ditto with most of the comments & author. It is beautiful but not very warm or inviting.

49. Elizabeth says

I think the house is FANTASTIC, I love it, would move in right away :)

50. Eija Searle says

Not my style! Bit more colour would do:-) Horrible indeed!

51. Lisa T. says

I think it’s beautiful. Love the tree lined hallway. It is probably still too new for her to have all her personal stuff in yet. I loved the swing in the living area, the little window in kitchen booth area. so many lovely touches.

It’s perfect for a place to have in the city that you don’t actually LIVE in. I mean, they probably got it so their family didn’t have to live in a hotel the few weeks they are in NY out of the year. Like a jewel box.

52. Myra says

i don’t see chris martin living here. it’s all her…BORING!

53. Tiffany says

I love the hall with the framed wallpaper on the ceiling. Something for the idea file. I can’t imagine all that white with two children. Obviously they are not there much or they are impeccably clean!

54. Mandy says

Not a fan. Very cold. It doesn’t look homey or comfortable.

55. Richard Orton says

There is a mausoleum at the Santa Monica Cemetery that looks like Paltrow’s kitchen.

56. Pat Williams says

Cold and hard is right. Anti-American as well. All that American cash is what buys pretty much everything for Ms. Paltrow I would imagine. Perhaps she has succumbed to the British “try to be more like us if you possibly can…although we strongly suspect it is not really possible for an American.” Quite.

57. Gentry says

I like it just because it’s not junky doesn’t mean it’s chilly, People are not looking for toys in an architectural magazine(she cleaned her house for pictures) everyone is not into flowers and plaids, thank god