Gwyneth Paltrow’s Tribeca Penthouse in Vogue

by hookedonhouses on August 11, 2010

Gwyneth Paltrow-August '10 Vogue coverGwyneth Paltrow is on the August 2010 cover of Vogue magazine’s annual “Age Issue.” Inside, the 37-year old Oscar-winning actress poses in the kitchen of her Tribeca penthouse. She has a cookbook coming out in April of 2011 and says, “I always feel closest to my father, who was the love of my life until his death in 2002, when I am in the kitchen.”

The kitchen features lots of white marble, but it also has long, flowy white curtains framing the floor-to-ceiling windows that soften things up a bit:

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft-kitchen

Her apartment was designed by Roman and Williams, as seen on their website. They write:

For an actress, her musician husband, and their children, Roman and Williams completed a total stripdown to stud and redesign of what was fundamentally a drywall box (with good light). Designing and coordinating all interior architecture and custom decoration of the project with sheer energy and completely rule of everything mundane.

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft-kitchen 2

The swing in the living room was created from an old Indian door. Gwyneth told W mag: “Even the chains are like a work of art.”

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft-living rm

The house is a little “chilly” for my personal taste, but it seems to suit Gwyneth. Remember her house in the Hamptons? It had lots of white and pale pastels, too, and a similar style. (See photos of it here.)

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft 3

Apple’s bedroom features a bed with branches holding a nest, and the walls are painted with birds in flight:

Gwyneth Paltrow's loft-Apple's room

Most photos via Roman and Williams. You can see more at The Happy Home. Read Gwyneth’s Vogue interview here (photo by Mario Testino).

Check Out Gwyneth & Chris Martin’s Other Homes:

Their New House in L.A.

Their House in the Hamptons

P.S. Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more famous digs!

Heather Collins August 11, 2010 at 9:02 am

I think its very beautiful, but I agree with you on the”chilly” statement. Looks like no one really LIVES there.
AS always though, I really enjoyed taking a look, and the bed in her daughter’s room is amazing!
Thanks for the post!
.-= Heather Collins´s last blog ..Free to change =-.

Janice August 11, 2010 at 9:02 am

Cold hard, & unliveable, but that seems to be her personality, so it seems right for her.

Sketch42 August 11, 2010 at 9:07 am

Not really… I love that kitchen, but the rest of it is was too icy. It actually looks like the fortress of solitude or something to me… or like the ice queen of Narnia’s palace… Creepy almost.
.-= Sketch42´s last blog ..Would you wear this =-.

Jennifer E. August 11, 2010 at 9:10 am

Where is the life in this house? Even the toys in the kitchen don’t make it seem like a HOME. While some of the touches are gorgeous, (she seems to like botanicals as I do) there is no sense of her personality at all! Is she really this B-O-R-I-N-G? zzzzzZZZzzzzzz

Catherine August 11, 2010 at 9:11 am

I like the kitchen shot w/ Gwyneth & toys all over. I’d like to see the rest of the house as it generally looks; I may like it then!
.-= Catherine´s last blog ..Coffee Flavored Coffee =-.

Laura August 11, 2010 at 9:11 am

Little too austere for my liking, but I do love Apple’s bed… Lx
.-= Laura´s last blog ..A Pick-Me-Up Rose =-.

Kelli August 11, 2010 at 9:16 am

I totally agree with you. “Chilly” is a great word to describe it. I mean, I like some aspects of it, but it’s too designery for a family that includes two young children. Apple’s bed is really cool, though. There’s nothing wrong with light and airy, but at least their house in the Hamptons has SOME color.
.-= Kelli´s last blog ..Tuesday Truth 23 – My favorite movie =-.

LeAnn August 11, 2010 at 9:24 am

Not a fan of this one but it’s always interesting to see their style.
.-= LeAnn´s last blog ..The jury is still out =-.

Cheri@IHeartOldHouses August 11, 2010 at 9:26 am

I also agree with the chilliness factor. With the exception of the kitchen, it looks more like an empty penthouse suite in an upscale hotel than someone’s home. I do like the marble, though…
.-= Cheri@IHeartOldHouses´s last blog ..Hi Ho- Silver =-.

Karla {Kerrisdale Design Inc} August 11, 2010 at 9:38 am

I like the kitchen…but yes the rest of the house seems cold, and not like a family actually lives there. Keep in mind that her and her family actually live in London though…I suspect this is more of a “hotel” for them when in the US. I wrote about Gwyneth too yesterday….stop by and share your thoughts on her personally!

Karla
.-= Karla {Kerrisdale Design Inc}´s last blog ..The Other Gwyneth =-.

hookedonhouses August 11, 2010 at 9:43 am

Good point. And the designers took these photos before she moved in, so it probably looks more lived-in now. -Julia

Evelyn August 11, 2010 at 9:39 am

Kind of spooky….like her. I really don’t care for her as an actress.

Carrie August 11, 2010 at 9:40 am

Not my style, it’s just too blahhhh. It looks like a house waiting for someone to move in.
.-= Carrie´s last blog ..Boneless-Skinless Chicken =-.

casey@loft&cottage August 11, 2010 at 9:42 am

Totally too cold and empty feeling for me. I think Sketch 42 had it right with the ice queen of Narnia reference. This space has no personality! Or at least it has no personality I would ever want to get to know…
.-= casey@loft&cottage´s last blog ..tuesday tip- something better by the bed =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints August 11, 2010 at 9:52 am

I really like Gwenyth. I miss her. Seems she’s kind of disappeared for a while. Her loft is really cold. I need color…so I’m not really a fan. I DO love Apple’s bed and wallpaper though.
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..weighted concern =-.

middlesister August 11, 2010 at 9:57 am

The kitchen is the exact opposite as her Hamptons kitchen. How fun to change it up in each home. I am tired of Gweneth but not her homes…

laney August 11, 2010 at 10:00 am

…i would be one sad big person in that place…and i would be an even more miserable little person…

Claudia August 11, 2010 at 10:04 am

HI,

I ENJOYED YOUR POST TODAY. IT’S CURIOUS TO SEE HOW THE STARS LIVE. I REALLY LIKED HER KITCHEN. LOVE ALL THE WHITE. I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE REST OF THE HOUSE. IT’S NOT VERY COZY AND I NEED A DASH OF COLOR IN MY LIFE FOR IT TO FEEL COZY AND HOMEY. I LOVED WATCHING HER WITH MARIO BATALI IN SPAIN ON THE ROAD AGAIN. HAVE YOU WATCHED IT? CLAUDIA
.-= Claudia´s last blog ..Just arrived in Nantucket =-.

laney August 11, 2010 at 10:05 am

ps …well maybe i was a bit harsh…we had a porch swing in our family room (thirty years ago) before we could afford a sofa…it is one of my children’s favorite memories…

Dean August 11, 2010 at 10:09 am

Good grief! I love modern, but this place looks and feels more like a mausoleum. Too cold and austere. I can’t help but think about Kathy Griffin joking about her and how humorless and pious she can be. Well, if your environment reflects your true self and personality, I think Ms. Griffin might be right.

Chris August 11, 2010 at 10:17 am

This is so disappointing. I’m madly in love with Gwyneth. She is my favorite actress, and I think she’s just gorgeous. However, this house… I love white and neutrals, but this is cold and lifeless. It’s too bad. I’m so glad you showed us these pics, though. Thank you!!!!
.-= Chris´s last blog ..The Cinderella Chair =-.

hip hip gin gin August 11, 2010 at 11:03 am

Loved that article and the photos of her house. I usually need a bit more cozy in my spaces too, but the clean, uncluttered look of her house really warms my Virgo heart. That is actually my biggest design challenge, I want cozy but I can’t stand clutter or rooms that are too full. When I look at Gwyneth’s house it looks so relaxing and peaceful to me probably because there aren’t too many things for my mile a minute brain to look at.
.-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Evening =-.

Lindsay@Tell'er All About It August 11, 2010 at 11:18 am

Brr…..beautiful…..but it’s a little drafty in here…
.-= Lindsay@Tell’er All About It´s last blog ..Flowering our walls… =-.

Bre August 11, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Chilly is a great word to describe this space. But her primary home is in London so maybe that is why it looks so sanitized, and Vogue was there for petes sake haha Anna Wintour would make me want to make everything look pristine too! That hallway is gorgeous and I love Apple’s bed!
.-= Bre´s last blog ..Comment on How To- Be a Good Houseguest by dallas =-.

Mom in High Heels August 11, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Hmmmm…I like Gwyneth, but not so much this house. It’s too white and stark. Apple’s bed is lovely, but all the white and paleness is a bit boring.
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Letter from the President of the US =-.

Karen August 11, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Not ONE bit of personality – anywhere. And the kitchen reminds me of a hospital operating room. The hallway reminds me of a dream you would have – a scary one. The whole place has a dead feeling – maybe it’s all that white marble. Just dreadful . . .

pollydove August 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I do love Gwenyth and she looks stunning in this photo shoot, and although the penthouse has incredible bone stucture, it is WAY too bland for me. The colors are soft, but the style isn’t soft enough for my tastes.

And where is the family’s “stuff?” Right?
.-= pollydove´s last blog ..Aurora and MacKenzie-Childs part 2 =-.

Becky K August 11, 2010 at 1:05 pm

It is eye candy, for sure, but I need warmth and color to actually live in.

I love the details and the walls.

Becky K.
.-= Becky K´s last blog ..Floaters! Weve Got Floaters! =-.

Cadesmom August 11, 2010 at 1:48 pm

No. Not a fan of arrogant and ridiculous Gwyneth, her arrogant and ridiculous house and her poor kids’ stupid names.

Who can live like this? Oh….the arrogant and ridiculous.

Noula August 11, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I do prefer her kitchen at the Hamptons it looks more of a place that you can cook.
This one I will be afraid not to spill anything. Ofcource she does not clean her self.

Kim August 11, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I like Gwyneth, but the house not so much. It’s so plain, boring, and like others said, “Cold”. Where’s the fun personality? I definitely wouldn’t want to live there.

Sue from Atlanta August 11, 2010 at 2:07 pm

The bed in the last picture is pretty neat but the rest of the pictures have no personality at all….looks like a public bathroom…

Marie August 11, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Her house is beautiful, but it looks too picture perfect…very cold like you said. The bed however in the last picture is something I really like. I can live with that for sure.
-marie
.-= Marie´s last blog ..White French Mirror =-.

Grace August 11, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Mmmmm……….If it wasn’t for the greenery, food & toys in the first picture it would like like an icehouse. Not a fan of either, but not at all surprised!

Gwen August 11, 2010 at 3:37 pm

This penthouse has zero character! You would certainly never know that she has kids. And that is kitchen….so sterile!

Lacy August 11, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I think it’s gorgeous, but not as a home.
Maybe as a beautiful church or something.
I love Apple’s room, but it is NOT a child’s room. I would take her room. That bed is stunning!

A.L. August 11, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I think the apartment is quite lovely except for the hallway. For some reason it makes me think of a casino.

Jocelyn Stott August 11, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I have always been a fan of her movies, although I know many find her to be cold and a bit out-of-touch. I too find it to be a bit “chilly”, but it is very beautiful. I like her place in the Hamptons better :)
.-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..Birthday Celebrations =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now August 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm

It is pretty, but I have to agree with you…Cold! Doesn’t feel like a little girl lives in that room.
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Your Dishing It! Party Summer Rewind =-.

claire August 11, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Beautiful!
Naysayers – please post pix of your home; your kitchen and a childs room – who’s first?

HollyM August 11, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I’d love to see you do a feature on a movie she was in several years ago with Michael Douglas: A Perfect Murder. I loved that apartment!

This is just a bit too Good Humor chilly for me, but I do like the whimsey of her daughter’s bed.

Kate (Little Beach Bum) August 11, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I’m actually not a HUGE fan of Gwyneth…she always comes across as a bit full of her own self-importance, in interviews…but I have to say, I actually like this house surprisingly a lot! I think considering the one photographs were taken before anyone actually moved in, and the other photographs were taken for Vogue, that might be why the place looks so “chilly.” But I was thinking that the place actually looked pretty kid-friendly – they have thick furry rugs on the floor, squishy ottomans, a bench in the kitchen, a porch swing, etc. Although, the fact that everything is white or pastel might be an issue! Ha!
.-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..Blue =-.

Lisa Mackin August 11, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Very stylish …but very barren and cold. If one’s environment is a good indicator of personality I wouldn’t guess that Gwyneth would be a lot of fun to hang with. I’d like to see the room where they stored all the clutter ;-)

CeCe August 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Brrr

Heidi@recklessbliss August 11, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I actually like it but not to the point where I could come home to it every single day. I’m guessing she has a team of people keeping those whites white too and that’d be no small feat. For the average gal that’s not a feasible thing to do, especially when you add kids and a husband. The kitchen is gorgeous for that particular style but it’s so overly clean looking. I wouldn’t want to ruin it with bread crumbs or soup spots (maybe that’s how she stays so thin, she doesn’t want to ruin her white kitchen by cooking). I can appreciate the beauty in the place though, maybe if I were single and rich and had other homes like she does so I could get a change of scenery now and then. I think you would really like the prize home I’m featuring on my blog right now. It’s a lot more family friendly.
Great post Julia!
Heidi@RecklessBliss
xoxo
.-= Heidi@recklessbliss´s last blog ..Win This Home! =-.

Susan S August 11, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I agree with you that it is a bit sterile or “chilly” as you put it. I think the hall featuring the silvery-colored wallpaper(?) is beautiful, but I would have used it only on the ceiling as it seems like a bit of overkill.
Apple’s bed is adorable!

Christina August 11, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I don’t like it at all. Doesn’t look inviting. It looks like a museum. Who needs that.. you want something that is cozy, inviting, comfortable and makes you feel great to be there. All white? No thanks. That place needs some color and redecoration. Just because you have money doesn’t mean you have good taste. These photos prove it.

Kate August 11, 2010 at 8:56 pm

it is beautiful, maybe for a single woman or a couple but white curtains in the kitchen, does anyone else see Moses wiping his food stained hands on them after dinner?? ah horror! the hallway is creepy but also beautiful, something about it isn’t quite right, a bit like a tunnel. Apples room is beautiful but not the room for a little girl, no personality or ‘little girl’ things…. sad really!

Arlene @At Home with the Grimms August 11, 2010 at 9:36 pm

When you think of all the money Ms Paltrow had on hand to spend for a home, it is a bit disappointing that this is what she chose to build! One of the other posters put it best when she described it as the Winter Queen’s ice palace in Narnia!
.-= Arlene @At Home with the Grimms´s last blog ..I Missed My Sticks! =-.

Our Nifty Notebook August 11, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I had to laugh at that pic of her in the kitchen, the Toy Story toys are so strategically placed! LOL!

This house doesn’t look like it would be fun for a kid to live in. Apple’s bedroom is completely bare!
.-= Our Nifty Notebook´s last blog ..Not Back To School Blog Hop- Curriculum =-.

stuccohouse August 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Not a fan. Even the toys on the floor of the kitchen look posed.
.-= stuccohouse´s last blog ..More Pieces to the Puzzle =-.

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest August 12, 2010 at 2:20 am

Although it’s quite pretty…I agree with you that it is also “chilly”. It could use a bit more of a livable feel to it. (Although I must say I love Apple’s bird’s nest bed.) Oh, and I love Gwyneth’s turn as “Emma” as well…
.-= Wendy @ The Shabby Nest´s last blog ..Urban Images =-.

The Little Red Shop August 12, 2010 at 4:19 am

I’ve enjoyed some of her films and my heart broke for her when, not long after losing my beloved artistic daddy to cancer, she lost hers at about the same age. I do not, however, relate to the penthouse. I find it quite oppressive, and as a klutz….I bruise just looking at all of those sharp corners. It would be fun to slide on those floors…but not inadvertently. I do think the exterior wall of the kitchen is lovely.

: )

Julie M.
.-= The Little Red Shop´s last blog ..Road Trippin Highway 101 =-.

Valerie August 12, 2010 at 6:13 am

I’m kind of disappointed in her house! It comes across as cold! You know with 2 kids and a husband there must be just somewhere!

Thanks,

Valerie

.-= Valerie´s last blog ..Take The 30 Day No Eating Out Challenge =-.

Sally August 12, 2010 at 8:13 am

Its too white for me, it seems too cold and not inviting at all….but I do love Apples bed!

lu August 12, 2010 at 8:15 am

Geez-do you think they’re actually living there? As a former stylist for magazine photographers I have to wonder if the art director had the place cleared out? Not one framed photo, book, flower? Maybe a piece of fruit somewhere? Humm, I know the uber wealthy live differently, but even they prefer to live in homes and not furniture showrooms or marble yards.
.-= lu´s last blog ..Really At Home =-.

Stephanie@Geezees August 12, 2010 at 9:09 am

What an incredibly spacious house. I love her bed, it’s so unique. Thanks for sharing.
.-= Stephanie@Geezees´s last blog ..8 pounds down yeah BABY!!! =-.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman August 12, 2010 at 9:59 am

Wow, pretty stark. I’ve seen photos of homes that I like that have an all white/cream/beige theme, and I sometimes like them…but this is too “stark” for me.
.-= Handy Man, Crafty Woman´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

Susan August 12, 2010 at 10:35 am

Way too chilly for me too. The only place to curl up with a good book is Apple’s bed.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Holyoke Home August 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

It looks like her stove vent is going SUCK HER UP INTO IT!!!!!

Everything’s a little too precious. The rooms need some old shit. You know, to go with the new shit.
.-= Holyoke Home´s last blog ..Chihuly! &lt-Say it With Jazz Hands! =-.

Blayne Beacham August 12, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I love Gwyneth! I thought that article was so flattering… and the kitchen is breathtaking! Stop by the blog today to check out Deshawn Show’s house! Great post as usual!
.-= Blayne Beacham´s last blog ..Deshawn Snows Real Housewives of Atlanta House =-.

Nita August 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I really don’t enjoy so much any more seeing the celebutards’ homes, especially since so many real people are struggling. This was all done up by a designer, no personality, just big bucks. ::sigh::

jan August 12, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Not only chilly but claustrophobic for me. No sign of a real home or light. She makes lovely movies but I would live elsewhere if I were she.

the domestic fringe August 12, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I like the house in the Hamptons better. It doesn’t look like anyone lives in this place.
-FringeGirl

Doesnt Cost The Earth August 12, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Love your site! I just adore the tree-lined corridor.

You could definitely create your own like this:

.-= Doesnt Cost The Earth´s last blog ..Coats of arms- I need one! =-.

Jessica at Lavender and Lilies August 13, 2010 at 5:27 am

FAbulous post my dear!
.-= Jessica at Lavender and Lilies´s last blog ..Timeless as Tiffanys =-.

rie August 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I don’t like it. It looks like an upscale hotel to me, not a home. I wouldn’t want to live there.
.-= rie´s last blog ..Etsy Friends =-.

Chrissy August 13, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I love the kitchen but really?? Kids can live in that house??? Those white curtains in the kitchen – my kids would have ketchup or peanut butter all over them within minutes. Of course, Goop probably doesn’t allow her children to eat such garbage. :o) Apple’s room is beautiful but is that fabric on the walls of the hallway?? All I can imagine is a kid walking around with a marker or dirty hands and destroying them ….

Nancy August 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Ditto with most of the comments & author. It is beautiful but not very warm or inviting.

Daisy August 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I guess this more or less what I expected from Gwyneth Paltrow. But it lacks warmth and personal touches. It gives a whole new meaning to “minimalistic”
.-= Daisy´s last blog ..Top 10 Movie Halloween Costumes for 2010 =-.

elz August 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Nope. I do not like it at all. Not homey, not comfy, no signs of life anywhere. Not my taste. But then, I’m not a huge Gwyneth Paltrow fan.
.-= elz´s last blog ..Friday Favorite- Shark Christmas Ornament =-.

Elizabeth August 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I think the house is FANTASTIC, I love it, would move in right away :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com August 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Apple’s room is fab but rest of the house is icy. Almost lifeless.
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com´s last blog ..Book Beginnings Friday- Numbers =-.

Eija Searle August 18, 2010 at 7:18 am

Not my style! Bit more colour would do:-) Horrible indeed!

Lisa T. August 19, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I think it’s beautiful. Love the tree lined hallway. It is probably still too new for her to have all her personal stuff in yet. I loved the swing in the living area, the little window in kitchen booth area. so many lovely touches.

It’s perfect for a place to have in the city that you don’t actually LIVE in. I mean, they probably got it so their family didn’t have to live in a hotel the few weeks they are in NY out of the year. Like a jewel box.

Myra August 22, 2010 at 10:20 am

i don’t see chris martin living here. it’s all her…BORING!

Kat September 8, 2010 at 8:24 pm

it’s beautiful, but it’s feeling too cold …

Tiffany January 5, 2011 at 9:54 am

I love the hall with the framed wallpaper on the ceiling. Something for the idea file. I can’t imagine all that white with two children. Obviously they are not there much or they are impeccably clean!

Mandy January 5, 2011 at 11:39 am

Not a fan. Very cold. It doesn’t look homey or comfortable.

Maaike Quinn January 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Wow, I love that hallway and the bedroom. It’s like a fairytale! Beautiful :)
.-= Maaike Quinn´s last blog ..What is FlyLady Bingo =-.

Heather January 6, 2011 at 9:56 am

Beautiful, but cold and unapproachable. Just like Gwyneth. I can’t imagine any man wanting to live there.
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Bringing Objectivity to the Closet =-.

Richard Orton January 8, 2011 at 4:10 am

There is a mausoleum at the Santa Monica Cemetery that looks like Paltrow’s kitchen.

Pat Williams March 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Cold and hard is right. Anti-American as well. All that American cash is what buys pretty much everything for Ms. Paltrow I would imagine. Perhaps she has succumbed to the British “try to be more like us if you possibly can…although we strongly suspect it is not really possible for an American.” Quite.

Gentry August 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I like it just because it’s not junky doesn’t mean it’s chilly, People are not looking for toys in an architectural magazine(she cleaned her house for pictures) everyone is not into flowers and plaids, thank god

{ 6 trackbacks }