Billy Joel’s West Village Townhouse for Sale

by hookedonhouses on July 6, 2010

Billy Joel and Katie Lee's West Village Townhouse

One of the first celebrity houses I featured was Billy Joel’s beach house in the Hamptons. He was a newlywed at the time, having just married 23-year old Katie Lee, and insisted in interviews that he would have fallen for her even if she were 30 years older than he was. (Really? Because it’s hard to imagine he’d find her as attractive as an 85-year old…)

He and Katie had just gone on Oprah to discuss their marriage and his trip to rehab in April of 2008. On that show, Katie gave us a tour of their fab West Village townhouse in New York, decorated by Nate Berkus.

Katie Lee Joel giving Oprah tour of townhouse

Now that the couple has split, the townhouse is on the market for $12.9 million.

West Village Townhouse-front room

Katie showed off her favorite meatloaf recipe for Oprah viewers in the dining room:

Katie Lee Joel with meatloaf recipe Oprah

Here’s how the dining room looks in the listing today:

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 1

Because cooking is Katie’s thing (she wrote a cookbook and hosted the first season of Top Chef on Bravo before Padma Lakshmi took over), there is a chef’s kitchen that includes a 6-burner Wolf stove:

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 2

Is that their cat sleeping in the corner? Here’s a close-up of that corner and, yep!

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 6

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 7

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 3

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 5

You can watch the video tour on Oprah.com. For more information, check the Douglas Elliman listing. More photos and info on the rumors that LeBron James might be buying it on Huffington Post.

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 4

P.S. Check out Billy Joel’s beach house in the Hamptons, too:

Billy Joel's Hamptons Beach House For Sale

Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more, from Daryl Hall’s Revolutionary War-Era Colonial to Alan Jackson’s “Tara.”

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Karena July 6, 2010 at 8:09 am

Julia, fabulous townhome! Isn’t it interesting how things do change! Maybe Billy left her for an 85 yr old! I haven’t kept up with his love life though………..

Karena
Art by Karena
.-= Karena´s last blog ..Welcome to Enright Gardens =-.

Vanessa@decor happy July 6, 2010 at 8:16 am

Love, love, love the townhouse especially the kitchen and the gorgeous black framed window. It hasn’t changed much from when it was in Domino and Oprah. Lucky person who buys it.
.-= Vanessa@decor happy´s last blog ..Prettying Up the Powder Room =-.

etta July 6, 2010 at 8:21 am

Beautiful house!!! I love it! :-)
kisses
Etta

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen July 6, 2010 at 8:35 am

Off to buy a lottery ticket! We have been working on the concept of downsizing and possibly moving back to the city…now if only I had that …what is it? Oh right … 12 million! This would be the place for us…beautiful home.
.-= Black Eyed Susans Kitchen´s last blog ..FOUND IN THE COMMUNITY GARDEN =-.

Catherine July 6, 2010 at 8:41 am

23…seriously? Don’t these men get tired of women 23 years mentally younger than they are? Wait, lemme think…I could maybe do that, if I had the money to attract a 23-yr-old. ;-)
.-= Catherine´s last blog ..Catch Up =-.

Laurie @ My Domicile Style July 6, 2010 at 9:01 am

I loved this house in Domino. Interesting that they are splitting up, always thought they were an odd couple.
.-= Laurie @ My Domicile Style´s last blog ..Crazy for Corn =-.

Janell Beals July 6, 2010 at 9:23 am

I about lost it when I saw this townhouse on Oprah, and Nate behind the decorating on top of it all!! Simply too fabulous, too bad it didn’t help make for a fabulous marriage…Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Kitchen Island Unwrapped =-.

Mom in High Heels July 6, 2010 at 9:49 am

Gorgeous! Of course if Nate Burkus designed it, how could it not be?
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Red- white andshoes =-.

duchess July 6, 2010 at 9:54 am

What a beautiful home. Love it! Too bad about the couple though.
.-= duchess´s last blog ..Baseball Camp 2010 =-.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile July 6, 2010 at 9:55 am

The town home is gorgeous. I really love it and can’t wait to follow the link to more photos. Thanks for posting it.
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Cool colors to cool down your summer =-.

Richella at Imparting Grace July 6, 2010 at 10:40 am

Billy Joel’s music is timeless. His marriages, not so much. But he certainly has good taste in living spaces!
.-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..Outdoor decor =-.

Sharon July 6, 2010 at 11:09 am

There aren’t to many celebrity homes I like but this one is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for bringing it to us!
.-= Sharon´s last blog ..Fishing for two =-.

Lacy July 6, 2010 at 11:40 am

I have to say it. She’s too old for him being, what 26, maybe! He he
Anyways, beautiful home!

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 6, 2010 at 12:07 pm

They broke up?! Really?? I am shocked. ;)

I remember seeing them on Oprah and being so envious that she got Nate to decorate for her. I like the light fixtures over the kitchen island!
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..The Shabby Chicks Cottage Mini Makeover =-.

Susan July 6, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I could comfortably make that my NYC digs!! Maybe they split up because she is getting too old for him.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Desk Top Tea =-.

Kim July 6, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Great town house. It has alot of nice colors.

I’m not sad they are separating, he’s too old for her. Why doesn’t Katie go out and marry a guy her age and have a family? For someone her age, to marry a guy that’s in their 50’s, 60’s, or older, is wrong. They have children together, the dad will only live to see their kids be in their 20’s or 30’s.

Cheri @ I Heart Old Houses July 6, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I don’t always love beach houses (I know, I’m weird) but I would kill for the high ceiling in that living room. Beautiful kitchen, too!
.-= Cheri @ I Heart Old Houses´s last blog ..Victorian Gardens =-.

Carrie July 6, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I love how the house is so light and airy.
.-= Carrie´s last blog ..Exciting Day For Me- =-.

Hailey Erickson July 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I want a window feature in my kitchen! I think my dream kitchen requirements just changed drastically!
.-= Hailey Erickson´s last blog ..“Can’t Eat Muffin Else…” =-.

carole fitzgerald July 6, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Hi From down under , love Billy Joels high beamed ceiling in his house . Has given me an idea to lighten my beams up by painting them cream. I am now addicted to this blog . Carole

Susan S July 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Whoa! Oh, to have some extra cash in the bank!

Nancy@marcusdesign July 6, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Oh man, this place is nice!! It’s glam but relaxed. I never saw that episode of Oprah, now I wish I had. Lucky buyer who ever it turns out to be :)
Nancy
.-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..a dash of color- my living room =-.

Pat July 6, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I think I’m having a New York state of mind, as well as a Hampton’s state of mind! Lots of white in both homes..I love it!
I think you’d have to drag me in off the deck facing the ocean in the Hamptons, what a view. I do have almost the same awning, but that’s where the similarity ends. LOL!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Joy In The Camp =-.

Nita July 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm

This reminds me of Neil Simon’s townhouse in the movie about his life with Marsha Mason, Chapter. Two. Only instead of the kitchen being on the same level as the dining room, a staircase went downstairs at the back of the stairs going upstairs, and the kitchen was down there, which I prefer.

I watched the movie Author, Author with Al Pacino and Tuesday Weld and that apartment with all the kids is one you might want to look at.

Visual Vamp July 6, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Movin’ on up and out…the place somehow looks a little sad in the listing photos, like it lost its sparkle. xo xo
.-= Visual Vamp´s last blog ..When Are The British Coming =-.

Stephanie @ Geezees July 7, 2010 at 8:19 am

Beautiful townhouse…great interior design.
.-= Stephanie @ Geezees´s last blog ..CANVAS UNWRAPPED – Lindsays Story =-.

Krista July 7, 2010 at 8:20 am

It’s a black pug.

hookedonhouses July 7, 2010 at 8:31 am

Krista–
I wondered about that, since there was a black pug following Katie around in the tour she gave. It just looked more like a cat in that photo to me. -Julia

Puna July 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I love it. This house I can live in. Forget the castle!
.-= Puna´s last blog ..Love The Wipeout Moments =-.

Struggler July 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Sad when anyone splits up…. but this does look like a very appealing home.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Half Way Through =-.

Suzy July 7, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I thought he gave her the condo as a gift……Now she needs to sell it??
.-= Suzy´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

Lisa December 11, 2010 at 11:12 am

gorgeous apartment..Id take it, well..if I had the $$$

Have a great holiday, dear girl!
xx
Lisa
coastal nest
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..cool under pressurenot =-.

judy smith November 9, 2012 at 11:18 am

I think its a shame they canceled nates show I really liked it
but I guess we need more murder shows on
You people suck