Billy Joel’s West Village Townhouse for Sale

Billy Joel and Katie Lee's West Village Townhouse

One of the first celebrity houses I featured was Billy Joel’s beach house in the Hamptons. He was a newlywed at the time, having just married 23-year old Katie Lee, and insisted in interviews that he would have fallen for her even if she were 30 years older than he was. (Really? Because it’s hard to imagine he’d find her as attractive as an 85-year old…)

He and Katie had just gone on Oprah to discuss their marriage and his trip to rehab in April of 2008. On that show, Katie gave us a tour of their fab West Village townhouse in New York, decorated by Nate Berkus.

Katie Lee Joel giving Oprah tour of townhouse

Now that the couple has split, the townhouse is on the market for $12.9 million.

West Village Townhouse-front room

Katie showed off her favorite meatloaf recipe for Oprah viewers in the dining room:

Katie Lee Joel with meatloaf recipe Oprah

Here’s how the dining room looks in the listing today:

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 1

Because cooking is Katie’s thing (she wrote a cookbook and hosted the first season of Top Chef on Bravo before Padma Lakshmi took over), there is a chef’s kitchen that includes a 6-burner Wolf stove:

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 2

Is that their cat sleeping in the corner? Here’s a close-up of that corner and, yep!

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 6

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 7

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 3

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 5

You can watch the video tour on Oprah.com. For more information, check the Douglas Elliman listing. More photos and info on the rumors that LeBron James might be buying it on Huffington Post.

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse For Sale 4

P.S. Check out Billy Joel’s beach house in the Hamptons, too:

Billy Joel's Hamptons Beach House For Sale

Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more, from Daryl Hall’s Revolutionary War-Era Colonial to Alan Jackson’s “Tara.”

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Comments

Julia, fabulous townhome! Isn’t it interesting how things do change! Maybe Billy left her for an 85 yr old! I haven’t kept up with his love life though………..

Karena
    Art by Karena
    .-= Karena´s last blog ..Welcome to Enright Gardens =-.

Off to buy a lottery ticket! We have been working on the concept of downsizing and possibly moving back to the city…now if only I had that …what is it? Oh right … 12 million! This would be the place for us…beautiful home.
    .-= Black Eyed Susans Kitchen´s last blog ..FOUND IN THE COMMUNITY GARDEN =-.

23…seriously? Don’t these men get tired of women 23 years mentally younger than they are? Wait, lemme think…I could maybe do that, if I had the money to attract a 23-yr-old. 😉
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..Catch Up =-.

I about lost it when I saw this townhouse on Oprah, and Nate behind the decorating on top of it all!! Simply too fabulous, too bad it didn’t help make for a fabulous marriage…Janell
    .-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Kitchen Island Unwrapped =-.

5. Lacy says

I have to say it. She’s too old for him being, what 26, maybe! He he
    Anyways, beautiful home!

I could comfortably make that my NYC digs!! Maybe they split up because she is getting too old for him.

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Desk Top Tea =-.

7. Kim says

Great town house. It has alot of nice colors.

I’m not sad they are separating, he’s too old for her. Why doesn’t Katie go out and marry a guy her age and have a family? For someone her age, to marry a guy that’s in their 50’s, 60’s, or older, is wrong. They have children together, the dad will only live to see their kids be in their 20’s or 30’s.

Hi From down under , love Billy Joels high beamed ceiling in his house . Has given me an idea to lighten my beams up by painting them cream. I am now addicted to this blog . Carole

I think I’m having a New York state of mind, as well as a Hampton’s state of mind! Lots of white in both homes..I love it!
    I think you’d have to drag me in off the deck facing the ocean in the Hamptons, what a view. I do have almost the same awning, but that’s where the similarity ends. LOL!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Joy In The Camp =-.

10. Nita says

This reminds me of Neil Simon’s townhouse in the movie about his life with Marsha Mason, Chapter. Two. Only instead of the kitchen being on the same level as the dining room, a staircase went downstairs at the back of the stairs going upstairs, and the kitchen was down there, which I prefer.

I watched the movie Author, Author with Al Pacino and Tuesday Weld and that apartment with all the kids is one you might want to look at.

• hookedonhouses says

Krista–
      I wondered about that, since there was a black pug following Katie around in the tour she gave. It just looked more like a cat in that photo to me. -Julia

11. judy smith says

I think its a shame they canceled nates show I really liked it
    but I guess we need more murder shows on
    You people suck