Meg Ryan’s Spanish-Style Home in Bel Air

Meg Ryan photo

Meg Ryan’s Spanish-style mansion in Bel Air, California, is on the market for $14.2 million.  It has 6 bedrooms, 7 baths, and over 6,800 square feet.  It sits on nearly three-quarters of an acre and boasts high-profile neighbors like Tom Ford nearby.

Meg Ryan's house-overhead view

Ryan purchased the house in 2000 for around $8.5 million.

Meg Ryan-Bel Air home 1

Meg Ryan-Bel Air home 2

I’d love to get a better look at this kitchen. She seems to have a lot of framed artwork in there.

Meg Ryan-Bel Air home 3

Meg Ryan-Bel Air home 4

This house reminds me of Diane Keaton’s Spanish Colonial I showed you here, but Keaton’s is more colorful. You can find more photos and information about Ryan’s house at The Real Estalker.

I think I associate Meg Ryan with interesting houses because of the movies she’s been in. For example, there was Sleepless in Seattle, where she had that adorable place with pink kitchen cabinets and vintage decor:

Sleepless in Seattle-Meg Ryan's pink kitchen

Her much-loved brownstone in You’ve Got Mail:

You've Got Mail-Meg Ryan's kitchen

And the red-brick house she had in the movie I wrote about yesterday, The Women:

Meg Ryan's house-The Women

P.S. Visit Celebrity Houses to see more!

Larry Hagman only played a ruthless oil baron on TV. In real life he's a passionate proponent of alternative energy sources. He and his wife…
Daryl Hall Restores Revolutionary War-Era House in New York |
When I heard that Daryl Hall--the taller, blonder half of the popular "rock and soul" duo Hall & Oates--was selling his house in Amenia, New…

I think I have to vote for the house that was being renovated during Hanging Up. I feel the urge to go watch that movie again to make sure 😉

I expected the interiors to look more stylish like Cameron Diaz’s home in The Holiday. The decor seems very generic. I can relate to the pictures in the kitchen, though. I threatened to convert my kitchen to a walk-in closet for years!
    .-= Janet @ I Drink at Restaurants´s last blog ..The following conversation actually took place… =-.

I find it so hard to picture what celebrities actually do in these huge, empty homes of theirs. I, on the other hand, could probably enjoy some really nice evenings at that picnic table outside. 😉
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..How to Clean Filthy Running Shoes =-.

3. Kat in Texas says

Love Meg’s Spanish-style house! IMO, the interiors could use a little more warmth and color. That kitchen is the bomb, but I’m puzzled at all of the framed artwork.

I’d have to say my favorite Meg Ryan “movie” house is her brownstone in “You’ve Got Mail.”

4. Mary says

I agree with Janet about a generic feel. I am noticing all the huge vases, which I normally love, but I have the feeling that in this home they are being used to fill up otherwise empty space. There are no interesting shapes among them that suggest we are looking at unique pieces of art, rather than large pieces of reproducable craft. I do love the house, though

I love this house. I especially like the fact that there’s not as much color there. It’s very peaceful. The older I get the more I can appreciate this look.

LOVE your blog by the way Julia!

Easily like her actual home best. I like that it is sort of sparse. Perhaps the view of the two arched entry ways is a bit too vacant (as some have suggested) but I love the details that do exist in what looks to be the family room and definitely the kitchen. I’d love a better look at that as well! Marija

So if she’s selling the mansion, I wonder where she’ll live? Poor little thing–I suppose she’ll be able to nest somewhere.

As for her movie houses, I think I’d have to vote for the brownstone in You’ve Got Mail. What is it about a brownstone that’s just so darn charming?
    .-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..Party guests =-.

Her house is beautiful. I love the coffered ceilings and the way the rooms open up to the outdoors. Spanish colonials are so lovely. It’s just not the home I would imagine Meg living in. She’s so charming and sweet in so many of her movies. Certainly the apartments in Sleepless and You’ve Got Mail reflect that, yet her own home seems so impersonal. Thanks for another great post! I am curious to see if she gets anything close to the asking price in this economy.

Susan and Bentley
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Brown Bag Lunch Recipe #1 =-.

Love love love Meg Ryan (and Diane Keaton — those are my two favorite actresses, along with Audrey Hepburn). And I do love this house, as well. It lets in light amazingly well, and the white walls and ceiling add to the open, airy feel. I think color is sometimes used to heavily and like this more-simplistic vibe. The contrast between the white and the dark windows and furniture show a classic, fresh style. Love it.
    .-= Sheila´s last blog ..Spit and image vs. spitting image =-.

Wow, my whole house could fit into her kitchen! Gorgeous!
    My favorite Meg Ryan house has to be the You’ve Got Mail apartment. I looooooove that movie and her little cozy place was such a good reflection of who her character was. Although it is possible that I love her little bookstore more, I actually cried in the scene where she is closing it and it is all empty.
    .-= Hip Hip Gin Gin´s last blog ..Simple Pleasures =-.

11. Kristen says

I LOVE her house in Hanging Up….I’m going to buy it just for design ideas : )

I’m drawing a blank… what was that movie she did with Diane Keaton and Lisa Kudrow? Her real-life house you’ve featured here reminds me a lot of her house in that movie.
    .-= Chrissy´s last blog ..Tuesday Tunes : Forever =-.

13. Jennifer Lee says

I loved the built-ins in the house in “When A Man Loves A Woman”.

14. Julie B says

I’m with Lauren; I always wonder how happy people are in those huge houses (beautiful for sure, but when there’s only one person living there, how much space do you need?).

Since YGM is my favorite movie, I’ll have to pick that as my favorite of her fill houses.

Thanks so much for all the work you do to share these posts with us, Julia!

15. Kimberlee J. says

I would most like to live in the apartment in “You’ve Got Mail”, but I also like her house in “When A Man Loves A Woman”.

Julia I love this house! You know she has good taste. I especially like the kitchen. Even the furnishings are done to suit the house. It’s not a perfect house but this one, this one is fantastic. I want to imagine myself in it for awhile and life there.
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Carmel Beach House~Research (Yeah right) =-.

Julia, sorry to comment twice, but I just went and looked at Tom Ford’s chic townhouse and I didn’t like that one at all. This one is much better, for my tastes, anyway.

And I know I’ve said it before but may I say it again, I adore your blog.
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Carmel Beach House~Research (Yeah right) =-.

I don’t know why, but I find Meg Ryan’s real home a bit soul-less and sad. Maybe it’s because I always imagined her living in a cross between the sets of You’ve got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle. (When I’m tempted to keep my small kitchen and not knock through to the dining room, I remind myself of how much I love those two kitchens.) I’ve had mixed feelings towards Meg Ryan since she left her husband for Russell Crow, and then had very weird implants in her lips. I can’t watch her now without being strangely fascinated and repelled by them at the same time. My own fault I guess for mixing up the real woman with the characters in Harry met Sally, Sleepless and You’ve got mail.
    .-= janice | Sharing the Journey´s last blog ..A Patchwork Post: Quote-hunting, My Bloggling’s Birthday…and Cake! =-.

Her home is beautiful. I always wonder if these movie stars have someone else decorate their houses or if they do it, as they seem to have so little time with all the movies they make.
    .-= Chris´s last blog .. =-.

20. malissa says

Definately Hanging Up. That hallway w/ the outdoor/indoor feel and the kitchen in that movie is one of my favorite kitchens ever!

You’ve got Mail has got to be my favorite Meg Ryan home! Who wouldn’t love to be single, own and operate the cutest little bookstore and live in such a charming neighborhood! That’s the stuff dreams are made of!
    .-= Nancy Hood´s last blog ..Pastels and Pretties =-.

22. Kim says

I like the staircase, but not really anything else. Maybe it’s just me, but what I don’t get is why celebrities don’t have luxurious homes. I mean they are rich and could afford whatever they want, but they don’t. Instead they get these spanish styled homes that aren’t that nice to me. Like I have said before, the only home I have really liked is Michael J. Fox. He and his wife actually have good taste.

I don’t really have a favorite Meg Ryan home. For a favorite movie of her’s, it’s a tie between “You’ve Got Mail”, and “Sleepless in Seattle.”

23. Nita says

I love Spanish colonials! But this one is too colorless and too cold for moi. I loved her brownstone apartment in You’ve Got Mail, and if my husband and I find it on TV as we turn the channel, we just have to watch because that’s how we met-online!

24. Nita says

Oh, I have to add this little story. And older woman saw Meg in a grocery store parking lot and yelled at her to “run a comb through that hair of yours!”

Meg Ryan always plays those cute, likeable, quirky characters. I expected a little something different, I think. I suspect, I anticipated something eclectic and colorful. I wonder if someone decorated for her and she let them have at it, or did she really contribute? Hmmmm…Thanks, as always. -susan

26. E. George says

Hi Julia what can I say come on lotto. You are a girl after my own heart I love spanish style and not too much stuff . You know my fav. Meg Ryan homes You Got Mail and Hanging Up. I like this place my thing is if you have a nice yard then the house will be great I’m a garden girl first. I do have a soft spot for Meg I wonder if any of the new breed of actors can play those romantic comedy roles as well as she did. Thank you for this gift of yours to all of us you keep us entertained not a day goes by that I don’t look at your website first. Till next time Regards Esther from Sydney ….. ps cooler weather bring on Autumn.

27. Breanna says

I love your blog it is highly addicting! I love, love, LOVE Meg Ryan’s house in “Hanging Up” this house actually reminds me of it a great deal. If you could get images of her house in “Hanging Up” I’d be eternally grateful! Thanks for your blog :)

• hookedonhouses says

“Hanging Up” is on my list–I’ll get to it eventually, I promise! -Julia :-)

It is kind of strange that there is so much framed art clustered in that corner of the kitchen when there’s hardly any on the walls in living rooms etc…the empty white walls really need art to lift the feng shui chi (and help her sell the place faster!). I do like the muted blues and aquas she used in decor, especially the ceramics.
    .-= Katy´s last blog ..FENG SHUI FOR SANDRA BULLOCK =-.

29. Nadia Mahanor says

My favorite Meg Ryan house and Kitchen comes from the 1994 movie ” When a man loves a woman”. For photos of the house go to Kara Lindstrom was the set decorator on many of the rooms. She has many photos of the rooms she worked on, on her website. I have emailed her hoping she can give more info about the house and set the set. I hope to hear from her soon.

Hanging Up! Hanging Up! Hanging Up! This has to be one of my favorite movie houses of all time, and perhaps I’ve missed it, but I haven’t seen anyone do a post on the house in this movie. It has such character, and actually looks like someone lives there. The light, the indoor/outdoor feel, and the artwork by Maynard Dixon …..just fabulous.

Love the spanish style California homes. I would like to see more color, tho. I do love the brownstone in You’ve Got Mail and her book shop which is adorable!
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..Mary Tyler Moore Apartment =-.

This house seems a bit cold to me, and who puts lots of framed art in the kitchen…only to be splattered with bacon grease?! However, I am not saying that I wouldn’t take this house in less than a hearbeat! It’s gorgeous! My favorite Meg Ryan house is definitely “You Got Mail” – her apartment is so dreamy!!

~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..I’m a Cat… =-.

33. Emily Zimmerman says

Hanging Up! I just discovered your blog by way of the lettered cottage. I’m going to have to save your site to my favs!

34. debbie says

I love and will always love the brownstone apartment in You’ve Got Mail! Her real life house is pretty but a little impersonal and not my style. I have to admit the pink cabinets in the Sleepless house are totally adorable too.

35. Laura says

So weird…there doesn’t seem to be art anywhere….but an overabundance the kitchen? Huh.
    ‘The Women’ house is gorgeous, but my favorite is definitely the “You’ve Got Mail’ brownstone…. so pretty and cozy!!!

36. Michel H says

I’d love to see pics from Meg Ryan’s character Eve’s house in Hanging Up… I can’t seem to locate any… Can you??!!

• hookedonhouses says

I’m working on it! Stay tuned. -Julia :-)

37. amy says

I liked her apartment in the movie with Hugh Jackman, Kate and Leopold, loads of style and color.

38. Angie Darling says

One great find leads to another. I saw a flash on TV mentioning Halle Berry’s house which led me to this amazing site.I love the Spanish style. I live in Canada but am a California girl at heart. I will be visiting you every day!!

39. Mary Donnelly says

Have seen Mel Gibson’s Malibu home shown on the Zillow website. It’s gorgeous and California/Spanish I think your readers would love to see.

40. Jill says

I prefer any of her movie homes over her real one. It looks cold with no personality.

41. Rebecca says

I’ve heard so much over the years about Meg Ryan rubbing her marble countertops with cut tomatoes and/or tomato juice that I was hoping this would be the kitchen, but it doesn’t seem so. As one of the other commenters wrote, that’s just the sort of quirky behavior I’d associate with her based on her movie roles, and why I’d expect her house to be a little more quirky and have more personality. Then again, I rather get the impression that she’s already moved out and on and the house has been staged for sale. Ah well. But a fun look — thanks!

42. Margie says

The dining room where Meg’s family gathered for Christmas Eve dinner in ‘You’ve Got Mail’ was absolutely charming. Loved all the votives, candles, and garlands and even the elegant Christmas centerpiece of red and white roses. Have progressively become room/house-fatuated with each of Nora Ephron’s movie sets from Sleepless to Something’s Gotta Give. (Wonder what she’s working on now?) The Holiday always lifts my spirits before bedtime if I’ve had a bad day.
    Also, visited LA a few years ago, took the Beverly Hills tour of celebrity home locations. Recall passing a home once owned by Doris Day which at the time of the tour was owned by Meg Ryan. Must have been her starter home.

Could you please do the film “Greenhouse”? I saw it on your list of “todo’s” but I just wanted to encourage you! Also, if you have anything else about Meg’s new beach house?

44. Christina says

I love her townhouse in New York City in “You’ve Got Mail”.. love it!!! I would love to have that place. That’s the style I love with more up to date decor. It reminds me of the kind of stoop SJP had in her cute apt in “Sex in The City” again.. I always mention their homes and characters.. My favorite show. But I really did love the apartments all the girls had in New York. I liked Carries the most. Her apartment reminds me a great deal of an apartment I used to have. Especially the two bathroom doors.. my last apartment. I loved that. Megs home is great. These stars seem to always be selling such great places. The asking prices are pretty high for such a lousy market.