Jennifer Lopez’s 1970s Colonial on Long Island

by hookedonhouses on March 24, 2009

Can you imagine this woman (above) living in this house (below)? Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony have reportedly purchased the white Colonial next door to their current home on the North Shore of Long Island. They paid $2.05 million for the 5-bedroom, 4 ½-bath home built in 1972, which sits on 2.24 acres.

Today we’re going to play our “Which 5 Things Would You Change” game, but with a twist. Instead of telling me the first 5 things you’d change about the house if you bought it, I want to know what 5 things you think Jennifer Lopez would need to feel at home here.

Take a look through these MLS photos and then tell me–how would you J. Lo this up?

Some websites have speculated that the house may be for Jennifer’s mother Guadalupe, who helps care for twins Max and Emme (via Real LI). Others speculate that it’s simply a way to guard their privacy, and that the house might be coming down altogether to make room for extra tennis courts or something.

But let’s imagine they’re using it. What 5 changes would you make for J. Lo? If you need a reminder of what her decorating style is, check out the post I wrote about the nursery she decorated for her twins Max and Emme last year.

UPDATE: Valerie Kellogg of Newsday’s Real LI blog mentioned this post today and quoted some of the comments that you left here. Check it out–yours may have been one of them!

Kathi March 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I think that Jennifer would want to paint the entire place, get all new furntiture, rugs and of course add some great BIG chandeliers all over the place! That’s only four, but I’m sure she’ll do much more! Do you think they will really move into this place? Doesn’t look like a J.Lo house to me… Maybe they just bought it for their nanny?

Stephanie March 24, 2009 at 9:57 pm

I think Jennifer would swap the light blue shutters for black and paint the front door. Add a circular drive leading up the the front door. A fountain and wrought iron urns to greet guests at the front door. I think Jennifer would change the light fixtures with sparkly chandeliers, soft paint color on the walls, new area rugs, furniture and silk window treatments.

Stephanie’s last blog post..Raspberry Crumb Cake

Renae Moore March 24, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Oh my goodness…
I think IF she plans on keeping it and not tearing it down and starting over, paint the outside, keep the white, do black shutters and a great color for the front door or get a new solid wood one, 2nd…on the inside, seeing that J Lo transformed her husband’s NY place into more modern fare, I think that she would definitely add color (all the walls are white) in the lighter neutrals, reverse the dark stained wood molding in the sitting area around the ceiling and windows into something lighter to coordinate with whatever wall color she chooses or white, 3rd… she would remove most of the colonial furniture pieces, especially sofas and chairs, and add something with more interest, 4th…holy cow… that red carpet on the stairs would definitely go and she would do hardwoods, 5th… kitchen and FR complete overhaul, I can see her doing 2 different seating areas in the FR and gut the kitchen..

Renae Moore’s last blog post..A Gentleman’s Farm

Deanne March 24, 2009 at 10:59 pm

only 5??? I’m not sure, but I think a lot of bling will be needed there! :)

Deanne’s last blog post..Dust Off Your Fanny Packs!

Sue March 24, 2009 at 11:35 pm

I may be the one weid commenter but I SO love the way it looks now…and I just kjnow that J Lo will destroy t]all the things about it I love! Maybe she will just use it as a big closet for all her clothes and shoes.
I do hope they use it for soemthing though…I hate to see such old beauties torn down!

Sue’s last blog post..A Little Art If You Please

Cindy March 25, 2009 at 12:10 am

A very creative twist on the fun 5 things game. I’m having trouble with it though because I just can’t picture the lovely and glamorous J-Lo in this colonial. And, how would one possibly bring the bling to a very formal and traditional home like this and not make it look ridiculous. I don’t think colonials lend themselves to too much decorating variation, but this will be interesting to research. The green toilet from the this old house 5 things with maybe a shiny brass toilet seat might be a start.(can you put anything besides brass in a colonial?) Yeah, that’s ridiculous.

Onlinehandyman March 25, 2009 at 1:08 am

I’ll give you one – It just does not look fancy enough. It needs a lot more glitter. I think it’s going to be a tennis court.

Onlinehandyman’s last blog post..Got “Unwanted” Wallpaper? Remove It

Ritasmeeta March 25, 2009 at 1:45 am

RED STAIR CARPETS MUST GO!!! O_O urgh.

But I think it’ll be a tear-down which is kind of sad!

Ritasmeeta’s last blog post..happy etsy-versary to me! to me! but YOU are the one getting a present!

mishelle March 25, 2009 at 2:47 am

Honestly, i think they are going to tear it down. I mean right next store. They are probably going to either add on to there existing house or just make a whole compound. I have to admit though a couple of her houses and restraunts were lovely. mishellr

mishelle’s last blog post..Sanctuary Arts Makeover Party!

TraceyB March 25, 2009 at 7:38 am

Too Hard!! Julia, you’re stressing me out with this challenge. I’m just so shocked that they would buy such a traditional slice of surburbia!

Debbie March 25, 2009 at 7:54 am

Bring on at least 5 gables! I think it would look a lot better if the pictures had been taken in the spring. I was thinking landscape, lush gardens, perhaps a fountain of sorts. Then again this is taken in the winter so it’s hard to say…

Blessings – Debbie

Debbie’s last blog post..Assuming

jill March 25, 2009 at 8:17 am

gild the shutters, swankify the kitchen, paint the interior trim (black?), new lighting and of course all new decor… this is a tricky one, making the ‘burbs look j-lo-esque!?!?

jill’s last blog post.."I want a girl with smooth liquidation, I want a girl with good dividends."

Lisa~ March 25, 2009 at 8:22 am

She’d definitely add plush landscaping with a few fountains flown in from Europe. Second I’d say the only thing she wouldn’t change is the horrible red carpet on the stairs….I think she likes walking on red carpet. Third, the fireplace in the room with the yellow sofa has to go…I imagine her covering it with small mirrored tiles so she could see hundreds of small images of herself in those formal gowns she wears while feeding her babies. Fourth, can you say “chandeliers EVERYWHERE”? And lastly, and most important of all, she take down that portrait over the fireplace in the front living room and have a huge painting of herself hung there. LOL! That was fun! Lisa~

Lisa~’s last blog post.."Don’t Get Near Me!"

moggit girls March 25, 2009 at 8:45 am

This has got to be a flip for her ‘cuz seriously, where would she keep all her clothes?!

Joy and Janet

(p.s. Love your site – adding you to our blog list)

moggit girls’s last blog post..Mid-week Eye Candy

SoBella Creations March 25, 2009 at 8:47 am

Put up a huge privacy fence
She walks the red carpet for premieres…she wouldn’t want the red carpet at her house.
Take out all the furniture
Update the kitchen….I bet they have a chef
Chandeliers

SoBella Creations’s last blog post..Show Your Team Spirit

Angela March 25, 2009 at 8:47 am

Hmmm…I’m sure she would have to “bling” it up quite a bit!

Angela’s last blog post..Tasty Tuesday: Cheese Ball

Sonya March 25, 2009 at 8:56 am

This does not look a bit how I imagine JLo. Is she nesting again?? It *is* a gorgeous home, but I expect more modern out of her. Or at least Italian Village?

RehabOrDie March 25, 2009 at 8:57 am

Personally, I really wanted to see J-Lo’s BACK YARD, if you know what I mean.

(sorry. I have no inner monologue….)

:P

:D

M

RehabOrDie’s last blog post..Things I’d Do Differently 1

Paul U March 25, 2009 at 9:35 am

I don’t know which is better JLo or the house.

Paul U’s last blog post..4 link cloaking plug-in for Wordpress 2.7

Luphia March 25, 2009 at 9:39 am

that white room is so gorgeous!

Luphia’s last blog post..Modern Opulence {Interior}

Grace March 25, 2009 at 9:39 am

Since it is next door to her house I think she is going to tear it down so she has a bigger yard around her current house. If she does keep it to actually live in I think she would add much more colour, elaborate drapes and chandeliers. I saw pictures of her nursery in a magazine and it was way overdone.

Grace’s last blog post..Cost of Homemade Bread: I Did The Math!

Darla March 25, 2009 at 10:01 am

This is not at all what I expected. It’s much smaller than I would have guess and maybe the way the picture is taken the ceiling seem short….I dunno?

That fireplace has got to go.

Darla’s last blog post..I have a secret…

bungalow_bliss March 25, 2009 at 10:06 am

Lol, RehaborDie. Too funny!

It’s a curious purchase for JLo, for sure. Perhaps they’ll raze it for an amazing playground for Max and Emme. Maybe it will be a guest house? If that’s the case, they’ll have some work to do–I’d think that color would be at the top of the list.

bungalow_bliss’s last blog post..Spring in My Step

Brandi March 25, 2009 at 10:24 am

I agree. I am sure she bought this to either (i) put family members in (so they can help out with the children), or a nanny; or (ii) rip down to build on the land. She wouldn’t live in that house, unless she totally gutted it to add some brand new fabulosity to it. She’s JLo, her means are limitless! Make sure to bring us the follow-up on this, because I am sure it will be great.

Blushing Hostess March 25, 2009 at 10:38 am

Word is they are not going to live in it. Like Glenn Close, just increasing the privacy factor, usually used as a home office, guest house, or gym… unfortunately it is a great piece of Long Island that will be gutted asap…

Blushing Hostess’s last blog post..Janie and Jack friends discount

Jane @ Beach House March 25, 2009 at 11:24 am

Don’t you want to liberate that yellow sofa and give it a better home?

Jackie Whitley March 25, 2009 at 1:16 pm

JLo called & informed me this will be her mom’s house. She will also be placing her portrait over the fireplace.

christy March 25, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I’m afraid they’ll completely tear it down – I just can’t see them living there. I, on the other hand, would be pysched to call that house home! And CONGRATS!!! on the Newsday mention – very exciting!!

christy’s last blog post..Vote For Kate

Kathy :) March 25, 2009 at 4:21 pm

She is very tight with her family from what I’ve read…I bet they bought it for her Mum AND privacy…

She will gut that whole house….and I have to say I am shocked at that nursery…if her babies were just plastic dolls…its great !!! YIKES….

Kathy :)

montee March 25, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Jay-Lo is going to add a lot more bling to this house. I agree with Kathy and others, she will gut that whole house.

Lazy Mom Leslie March 25, 2009 at 7:10 pm

The first thing I would do if I were J. Lo would be to give all those blue and white pieces to me!!

Lazy Mom Leslie’s last blog post..House Guests

Deb Milne March 25, 2009 at 7:46 pm

I for see bright yellow shutters on the exterior with a navy blue front door. Entrance (foyer) w/Restoration Hardware bronze Alexandria chandelier. Madeline Weintrib stair runner in ‘Jagger Hazel’(grey/white). Pair of french doors in living rm with the addition of moldings on walls. All white family room incorporate two or three of the wine barrel chandeliers from RH. De-modernize the kitchen..oops that’s six!!! Thanks for the fun (:

Deb Milne’s last blog post..Create Your Own Spring Fashion Plan

Michael March 25, 2009 at 9:24 pm

J. Lo gets the nice house…this one’s for Marc, right?

I can totally see hot pink paint mixed with glitter, a front door covered in black fur, rhinestone details, and Marc Anthony’s dog house out back.

Michael’s last blog post..Join Me For a Piece of Humble Pie

Lindsay March 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm

The dark wood trim on the white walls makes my eyes bleed.

Lindsay’s last blog post..Five Ways to Freshen Your Decor in Fifteen Minutes

Derek March 25, 2009 at 10:55 pm

1-5 COLOR…get some fast?

Derek’s last blog post..What is that?

Janet Doherty March 26, 2009 at 9:44 am

I personally don’t think they would live there ??? But then again maybe the recession is bringing them to their senses and they are scaling back…oh I crack myself up.
Janet

Janet Doherty’s last blog post..Weekend Update

j March 26, 2009 at 3:13 pm

gut it

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 26, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I bet she’ll feel right at home on the red carpet on those stairs. ;)

Amanda @ Serenity Now’s last blog post..Thrifty Thursday: It’s Chic to be Cheap! {6}

laura @ the shore house March 26, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I am so stoked you were mentioned in Newsday for this post. :-)

I am not agreeing at ALL with the comments I’m about to make (as in, it’s not what I would do) but here’s how she could/would/may J. Lo the house:

1. 7,800 square-foot addition…
2. …with an Olympic-sized swimming pool.
3. Importing four flamingos (one for each family member, natch) to mill about the front lawn.

laura @ the shore house’s last blog post..The Best Sugar Cookies

laura @ the shore house March 26, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Wait…my comment submitted before I was done! :-)

4. Two words for the entry hall: Gold lame. ;-)
5. Swarovski crystal light fixtures in place of kitchen pot lights.

OK. I’m done now.

:-)

laura @ the shore house’s last blog post..The Best Sugar Cookies

ida March 27, 2009 at 4:55 am

perhaps make it more like brittney spears home. and get rid of the pic (in the living room with red couches) over the fireplace.

Heather March 30, 2009 at 8:43 am

I just can’t picture her hin that house at all! Actually, I can’t picture her in LI at all…she seems so LA to me. Would she paint it an orchidy shade of lavendar and gray and hang glitzy chandeliers? Fluffy white rugs that never get dirty?

Heather’s last blog post..Hooked on…Metal Letters

rue March 31, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I think it’s going to be for her mom, so I’m guessing she’ll leave it up to her… or we can at least hope she won’t tear it down. If it was up to her, I would guess she would have Candice come in and make it over…. lots of white, silver and accents of black. I think she might leave the red carpet though ;)

rue

rue’s last blog post..Can a house die?

Valerie Kellogg March 31, 2009 at 11:05 pm

It will be in the paper this Friday! Love the blog!!!

Valerie Kellogg’s last blog post..Retake: Dog gets distracted at Carle Place house

Veronica April 4, 2009 at 5:53 pm

If this house is close to the one she has maybe she can combine the two houses, Make it a great big house. But this is a gut job!!They like that bohiam style.

Kymberly July 10, 2009 at 10:06 am

Honestly, I think it’s a lovely home and wouldn’t change a thing “for me.” (Okay the decor but I’m assuming the previous owners took the furniture with them? Thank God).

If I am JLo however, I see only one design change that would probably make it suit “me.”

Wrecking ball.
.-= Kymberly´s last blog ..I can relate … =-.

Tomas November 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I really think not much can bbe done 70′s style is the pits I wonder why they bought this place it’s truly awful!! I have seen some of their homes and they put this to shame!!

Anthony December 3, 2009 at 6:44 pm

I live on the other side of J LO’s house and they bought that ugly house because they didnt want any other neighbors and they are using it as a guest house for like their parents

ashley February 16, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Take a look at what “J-Lo” is wearing in this picture, and transfer that style to the house. It’ll be something like this… Metallic curtains that aren’t quite big enough to tastefully cover her windows. The whole house will be given a shimmery coat of bronzey paint, and the windows on the top floor will be surrounded by squinty black trim. There will be lots of white fur rugs, and swarovski chrystal chandeliers. And for the benefit of the home’s integrity, occassionally LL cool J or Justin Timberlake will jump out of a hedge to tell passers by that no matter how fancy and diamond studded the house has become, it’s still 2 storey colonial from the block.

Nancy Vallejo June 20, 2010 at 1:50 am

Why not!?? Everyone is entitled to have their own tastes. I was born and raise in the Bronx. When I live in Virginia, I loved the country life, primitives and colonial lifestyle. Stop stereotyping races and cultures. If the ? was directed to the fact that everyone thinks she’s a diva that would rather live in a modern, cold structure, you would be surprised!! I got that a lot. “what is a Puerto Rican from the Bronx doing in Virginia growing corn and other veggies”????? lol!

hookedonhouses June 20, 2010 at 8:40 am

The point here was that this doesn’t seem to match the style of her other homes. We were just playing a game to imagine how she might redecorate to match her more glam personality. I agree that everyone is entitled to decorate how they want! -Julia :-)

Alicia June 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I’d move

Alicia June 20, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Maybe they’re going to fix it up for family? It is a long trip from the city and the Long Island Expressway is really bad all the time. It would make a quaint little guest house. Paint outside/inside, get a landscaper quick, put all new grass, a nice fountain in front. pave the driveway. The driveway can make all the difference. Get rid of the bright red carpet on the stairs, go with something more traditional and add some color to the rest of the house, too much white. And I would want granite floors in the Kitchen. looks like wood floors.

edithlopez June 21, 2010 at 7:43 am

Jenifer I love your new home!!!!! congratulations baby. It’s beautiful. I’m from the bronx, n.y.c. but now I live in Indianapolis Indiana. I’m a fan of yours..

Alicia June 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm

The Kitchen does have tiles, but still pretty plain. I’d do a whole make over on the kitchen, including the floor :)

Megan June 26, 2010 at 11:11 am

1) A dazzling chandelier for the entry way
2) Spicy orange paint in the kitchen
There are two fireplaces pictures…
3) One will have glass tile
4) The other will be slate
5) Luxurious draperies
.-= Megan´s last blog ..Bathroom Before and Afters =-.

oscar rivera June 27, 2010 at 11:26 am

DIOS te bendiga has sido una mujer exitosa en tu vida sigue hacia adelante por eres el orgullo de los latinos

Helen June 27, 2010 at 4:17 pm

If it is next door to their current home they may tear it down for more room, or make it a guest house.

ELIZABETH June 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm

THE HOUSE IS UGLY. IT’S PLAIN. IT’S DOWDY.IT LOOKS LIKE ONE IN THIS TOWN. DOES SHE SPEND ALL HER MONEY ON CLOTHES,AND DOSEN’T HAVE ANY LEFT OVER FOR A HOUSE?

D. J. Scott July 2, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I hope that this home will not be trashed and something built in its place. It is OK to change the decor, the paint….even the colors………………….but this is a beautiful home.

I am not ‘getting it’ The red carpet on the stairway is just carpet. change it, but the rest of the decor is spectacular and completely tasteful.

Angela DiPietrantonio July 4, 2010 at 12:00 pm

You go girl from the Bronx, You have the life, pretty, nice husband, great family and mre.

bb guns for sale September 12, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Good job! I’m gonna bookmark this site now.

{ 3 trackbacks }