Richard Gere’s $8.8 Million House in the Hamptons

by hookedonhouses on February 26, 2009

I was surprised to see these photos of the house actor Richard Gere lives in because there’s nothing “Hollywood” about it. It has a nice farmhouse vibe to it. I really love that huge wraparound porch and the cozy breakfast nook. After “burning your eyes” (as one commenter put it) with yesterday’s post, I thought I should give you something kind of calm and pleasant to look at:

The house is on the market in the Hamptons (New York) for $8.8 million (thanks to reader Billy Blau for this info!).  To see more photos of Richard Gere’s house, go to Completely Coastal or TMZ. To see all of the other celebrity house posts I’ve featured, click here.

Shannon February 26, 2009 at 11:16 am

Wow, I really love this house. And I agree, I would have never guessed a hollywood star lives in this home. Good for him!!

Shannon’s last blog post..I’m Not Ready For This

desiree February 26, 2009 at 11:23 am

That porch is to die for…Love it!

desiree’s last blog post..Outdoor Living in a San Jose Italian Villa

Billy February 26, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Per The Real Estalker, it is in Water Mill NY and listed at $8,800k.

Karen February 26, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I absolutely love this house. How classy and understated and beautiful!

Makes me like him that much more.

Karen’s last blog post..Roof, Part 3

Laurin February 26, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I could really live there. Love it. I would spend a lot of time in that nook.

Laurin’s last blog post..I’ve Got Missedblissdomitis. Bad.

Abby February 26, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I looks so homey. I love it!

Abby’s last blog post..Vote for Bogart!

Susan Smith February 26, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I love how he uses white throughout the house! Great eye candy (the house, that is) ;)

Susan Smith’s last blog post..White Hot!

v and co February 26, 2009 at 1:49 pm

THAT is my dream house

i’m making a birthday cake and a blue and gold banquet cake for boy scouts that’s what i’m doing!~

v and co’s last blog post..happy birthday to my 3rd noise maker

Emily@remodelingthislife February 26, 2009 at 1:49 pm

It’s very nice and down to earth. Lovely!! That kitchen is fabulous

Emily@remodelingthislife’s last blog post..Link Love: Baby, It’s Cold Outside Edition

bungalow_bliss February 26, 2009 at 2:03 pm

This reminds me a lot of his and Diane Lane’s house in “Unfaithful.” You’re right, Julia–after yesterday’s house, this post makes me feel calm and relaxed. And it’s great to see a star without a ridiculous compound to call home.

bungalow_bliss’s last blog post..Dinner is Served!

Darla February 26, 2009 at 2:10 pm

~slurp~ and the house is nice too.

Darla’s last blog post..Deerly beloved

christy February 26, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I love this house too – I can’t believe how natural and beautiful it is.

What color are you painting your office? Are you going to post pix?

I haven’t even thought about my post for tomorrow yet. Sheet.

christy’s last blog post..The Do Withouts

Dusti February 26, 2009 at 2:44 pm

LOVE it all! Beautiful, my kind of house!

Fifi Flowers February 26, 2009 at 2:50 pm

He’s really just a normal, regular person like you and me… with a bigger bank account. LOVE him! He sure looks just as good NOW as in American Gigolo… sigh… I will never forget watching that movie… my friends and I had pounding hearts!
Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories! I hope didn’t give my age away… hmmmmm

Fifi Flowers February 26, 2009 at 2:51 pm

There is the right name of my last post… btw… I’m having a party in a castle today… pop over!
Are we having hooked on Friday tomorrow?

Fifi Flowers’s last blog post..Royal Day in the Castle…

Maya@Completely Coastal February 26, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I was surprised too about how simple it was -I actually published a post about it last Sunday (http://www.completely-coastal.com/2009/02/open-house-sunday-richard-geres-house.html)…, but I really like that it still had the feel of farmhouse, I think there is still farmland around it too.

Misti @ Studio M Designs February 26, 2009 at 3:25 pm

HA! I see no decor in this house, all I see if where Richard might take me to hide away with him!!!!!!!!! LOL! I am cracking myself up right now… He is my ultimate favorite male celebrity, and I am conjuring up really naughty images! : ) Thanks for this…
~Misti

Misti @ Studio M Designs’s last blog post..Introducing Sknobs: Custom Painted Knobs

Kathy :) February 26, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I loved him and Julia in Pretty Woman…one of my fave movies…what a nice home. Perhaps his simple style has to do with his religion, isn’t he a Buddhist ???

How long did he and Cindy Crawford go out, did they ever marry ???

All the best,
Kathy :)

ps what color are you painting your office ??? make sure to open the window a crack !!!

Rochelle February 26, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Wow, this is amazing!!! Thanks for sharing. I could totally cozy in that house!!

Rochelle’s last blog post..Magnet Boards

Luphia February 26, 2009 at 5:38 pm

the front of the house is so pretty! very charming

Luphia’s last blog post..From a Different Point of View

hookedonhouses February 26, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Let’s see if I can answer/address everyone’s comments here.

Billy Blau–thanks for the info! I added it to the post.

Christy & Kathy–I’m painting my study a pale blue called “Seaside.” If it looks good when it’s done, I’ll definitely post pics. If it doesn’t, I’ll keep it to myself. Ha.

Fifi–yes! We’ll be having Hooked on Fridays tomorrow. Hope you can join us!

Maya–thanks for telling me about your post. You’ve got some photos I hadn’t seen of the house, so I added a link to yours so people can see them, too!

Kathy–yes, I believe Richard Gere and Cindy Crawford were married for awhile, weren’t they? If I’m wrong on this, I’m sure one of my helpful readers will correct me. :-)

Maya@Completely Coastal February 26, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Julia for the link!

Maya@Completely Coastal’s last blog post..Al Fresco Tablescapes

Pat February 26, 2009 at 6:59 pm

It’s a beautiful house! I could be comfy here!

Pat’s last blog post..~Back Porch Metamophosis 2007-2009~

Robin February 27, 2009 at 12:11 am

I agree with Bungalow, it does look like the house from Unfaithful. I love it, I’ll take it, as soon as I remember where I put that spare $8 mil.

ps – Gere and Crawford were married for four or five years in the early 90s. Now he is married to Carey Lowell (she used to be on Law & Order) and they have a son named Homer.

Robin’s last blog post..And we take requests

Suzy February 27, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I love that staircase. And I bet Pioneer Woman would love that red ottoman. Thanks for sharing!! I love me some Richard Gere, yumm-m-my!

Suzy’s last blog post..Hooked on Vintage Aprons….

Visual Vamp February 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Now this is what I’m talking about!!!
xo xo

Visual Vamp’s last blog post..Would You Like To Spend Your Honeymoon Night On Top Of The World?

laura @ the shorehouse. March 1, 2009 at 1:22 am

WOW! Not at all what I would expect. I could move right in. Seriously, as is, which I’m kind of shocked about. ‘Cause I’m a simple girl and all. (Well…except for that price tag. WOWZA!).

laura @ the shorehouse.’s last blog post..The Happy Baker Returns

Ms.Tee March 2, 2009 at 8:11 pm

I really like his house! It look so down-to-earth, casual, and cozy. I love the bench and cushions in the dining area – very family-friendly!

Ms.Tee’s last blog post..Winter Wonderland!

melissa March 5, 2009 at 11:26 am

We have a home out in Bridghampton. The Hamptons are crazy…you can’t even get in for under 2. The space is so limited and everyone tries to out do one another. In the summer, we BBQ a lot & get to the beach early & avoid the NYC crowd obnoxiousness. It is also chock full of celebs. His house is so handsome.

melissa’s last blog post..Junior League Lovin’

Tricia March 25, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I have never had a reaction to a house like this ~~ I LOVE this house! It is so calming and homey. It reminds me of Eddie Bauer’s Home Colletion, from the ’90’s. This is my ultimate favorite style, and I didn’t realize it until just now. Thanks for the post. Oh, and yes Richard Gere ~HOT!

ptyloup May 26, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Tout simplement je t’adore…

Angel H. December 10, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I don’t like his house, but I like him I can watch his movies over and over, and that’s unusual for me to watch re-runs.

Richard I would be glad to re-decorate for you.
.-= Angel H.´s last blog ..Decorating My House for the Holidays =-.

snufe July 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm

does this mean he’s leaving NY???

hookedonhouses July 13, 2010 at 7:17 am

I’m not sure where he went when he sold the house. Does anyone else? -Julia

Judy June 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I just need a home to fix up and I would be happy.

{ 3 trackbacks }