Designer Betsey Johnson’s Pink Penthouse

Fashion designer Betsey Johnson is one of a kind, and so is her NYC penthouse. For one thing, it’s pink. Very, very pink. According to the real estate listing, it has 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and is on the market for about $2.5 million.

The listing says:

“This stylish Gold Coast penthouse duplex loft is the New York residence of a famed fashion designer whose underlying respect for classics always has an irreverent edge and sense of fun… A lavishly presented confection of fifties Hollywood glamour trimmed in lace, velvet, and gold tassels, beneath the signature pink paint and fabulously frou-frou furnishings is a home with unique character and great bones.”

As I was searching for more information about Betsey Johnson for this post, I discovered that she owns a villa in a Mexican fishing village, too, that is now available to rent. She decorated the villa in her inimitable style and dubbed it “Betseyville.”

P.S. Visit Celebrity Houses to see more!

Aguilera+Max
Christina Aguilera has won five Grammy awards and sold over 37 million records worldwide, but she's a mom now, too. The pop songstress and husband…
Madonna's Manhattan apartment was featured in Architectural Digest back in the early 1990s, but I just came across it on their website recently. I was…

Comments

WOW I love Betsey Johnson- and her house is so awesome! Love the black lacquered floors! I Especially like the white bathroom and the kitchen.

Oh my! Miss Betsey can have her place all to herself.

Sorry, I didn’t see anything that would make me want to fork out any amount for that place. Well, maybe the view, but nothing on the inside.

Lynn
    John 15

Wow, wow, wow, Thats all I can say about those fabulous photos. this post was a real treat. I adore decorating and get inspired when I see decorating at it’s best. I love the balance she has, probably because I’m a Libra. smile!

Thanks for visiting my mantel post, and the nice comments.

Jeanne

Hmm. Yeah, that was so not my style. lol

Years and years ago I was in NYC with a friend and we went into Betsey Johnson’s store. I was SO confused. I swear it was like a store specifically for Cyndi Lauper. Nutty clothes.

I love the bathroom and the kitchen in her NYC place. I am very partial to pink, but perhaps a bit too much of that, especially in her bedroom and her kitchen. However, the Mexican vacation home, although WAY too colorful for day to day, would be fun in a vacation setting. I love the cozy turquoise bedroom and the garden is spectacular.

Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself as a new reader and a neighbor from Lebanon, Ohio! I’m quite the house junkie myself and have been digging your posts. haven’t had time to dig back into the archives yet, but I’m looking forward to it!

We’re planning a move down to the Wyoming area (in Cincy) in about 18 months, Our house isn’t even on the market yet, but I’m already stalking the online listings. It’s a disease, I tell you!

Anyway, damn glad to meet you!

Catherine

Wow..I have to say that there is a reason that I am on the journey that I am on. I really do want to see why people who are successful are able to do what they do. You are a designer, right? You study others, huh? Your house is really pretty and Betsy’s it’s something…

It didn’t jump into looking like that…that is years and years of searching and looking… just beautiful! Both of you! So glad that you gave us that tour… Stunning!

8. Amy says

I love the ceiling and the floors- and that’s pretty much it. My daughters would be in heaven though.

I like Betseyville better but I can’t imagine I’d want to rent it. Besides my husband would *hate* it, I don’t even have to ask him.

Oh my goodness – the Pepto Bismol of it all!
    Seriously, it’s a nice home if you can get past the pink!

Thanks for letting me know about the broken link, Elizabeth! That’s one of those things I’d never probably notice unless one of my helpful readers pointed it out.

There are all sorts of weird things happening on WordPress today. There is a photo of the pool at Betseyville that apparently only some of my readers are able to see. I have fooled with it for an hour and still can’t get it to appear when I republish the post. Bizarre. I apologize to those of you who can’t see it! (It should be the last picture in the post–some of you are seeing nothing but extra white space.) I keep hoping it’ll magically reappear, since it says it’s there in the HTML code and in Edit mode.

Do you ever feel like technology is ganging up on you and making your life more difficult on purpose?? -Julia 😉

11. Lisa says

Neither house is really my style, but I do kind of like the bathroom in the Mexico house. I like the color (green is my fav.), floor, and tub.

12. TraceyB says

Wow! now that’s a place only a girly girl could love.

Hmm, I suddenly have a craving for cotton candy.

Hi
    I saw your comment on Kari & Kijsa and had to visit because I loved the name “hooked on houses” . I’m so glad I stopped by because I love Betsy Johnson’s playful style. I’d love to rent that home in Mexico. I love it!
    Can’t wait to read more of your older posts too. Glad to meet you.
    Rhondi

14. Tori says

I love them!!! It would be so awesome to go and stay at Bettsyville.
    Personally I wouldn’t want my own house to look like these houses. But I still love them!

DId you see that staircase in the penthouse? The very steep black one with no railing all the way up? Maybe it’s the mother in me, but I wanted to yell out “DANGER! DANGER!” :)

she’s so cute !!! sorry, I just love her!

thanks for the comment – I used to live and die for Waverly too!!

Joni

Hey Julia, just catching up on all my blog reading bacaklog and loving this post! Betsey is a bit over the top but I love her anyway. Its a good thing she’s famous ’cause otherwise you know her realtor would have had her beige that place down!

18. Mac says

I think the one in Mexico could be just a tad bit too outgoing for my taste. Of course, no doubt it fits her and it’s an adorable masterpeice she has turned it into. I think it just goes to show her personality even more. I love it. I wouldn’t buy it, but I love it.

19. Dawn says

I love it! It’s unique and fun! Wish I had the money and daring to do something like that myself.

20. megan says

i absolutely love it
    thats exactly how i dream my house one day looking like.
    oh how id love to live …even just visit in that house.
    GORGOUS!!!

21. merann says

wouldn’t be my style, but wow for being original, and i honestly do like the “betsyvilla”!!!

22. Jocelyn says

The Betsyville house reminds me of the house in Meet the Fockers. Beautiful!