Designer Betsey Johnson’s Pink Penthouse

by hookedonhouses on June 19, 2008

Fashion designer Betsey Johnson is one of a kind, and so is her NYC penthouse. For one thing, it’s pink. Very, very pink. According to the real estate listing, it has 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and is on the market for about $2.5 million.

The listing says:

“This stylish Gold Coast penthouse duplex loft is the New York residence of a famed fashion designer whose underlying respect for classics always has an irreverent edge and sense of fun… A lavishly presented confection of fifties Hollywood glamour trimmed in lace, velvet, and gold tassels, beneath the signature pink paint and fabulously frou-frou furnishings is a home with unique character and great bones.”

As I was searching for more information about Betsey Johnson for this post, I discovered that she owns a villa in a Mexican fishing village, too, that is now available to rent. She decorated the villa in her inimitable style and dubbed it “Betseyville.”

What do you think? Want to buy Betsey’s penthouse? Rent Betseyville? (Click here for rates and information.)

Go to Celebrity Houses to see more!

rachelekehler June 19, 2008 at 11:10 pm

WOW I love Betsey Johnson- and her house is so awesome! Love the black lacquered floors! I Especially like the white bathroom and the kitchen.

Lynn June 19, 2008 at 11:46 pm

Oh my! Miss Betsey can have her place all to herself.

Sorry, I didn’t see anything that would make me want to fork out any amount for that place. Well, maybe the view, but nothing on the inside.

Lynn
John 15

Jeanne June 20, 2008 at 5:56 am

Wow, wow, wow, Thats all I can say about those fabulous photos. this post was a real treat. I adore decorating and get inspired when I see decorating at it’s best. I love the balance she has, probably because I’m a Libra. smile!

Thanks for visiting my mantel post, and the nice comments.

Jeanne

Marie June 20, 2008 at 7:47 am

Hmm. Yeah, that was so not my style. lol

Years and years ago I was in NYC with a friend and we went into Betsey Johnson’s store. I was SO confused. I swear it was like a store specifically for Cyndi Lauper. Nutty clothes.

natasha June 20, 2008 at 8:08 am

I love the penthouse! Its a tad gaudy but then again she is a designer… Love your page!

Bonnie June 20, 2008 at 8:28 am

I love the bathroom and the kitchen in her NYC place. I am very partial to pink, but perhaps a bit too much of that, especially in her bedroom and her kitchen. However, the Mexican vacation home, although WAY too colorful for day to day, would be fun in a vacation setting. I love the cozy turquoise bedroom and the garden is spectacular.

Kathy :) June 20, 2008 at 8:49 am

Well ,,,,,,wow huh ??? Hmmmm, nice VIEW !!!

Kathy ;)

Catherine June 20, 2008 at 9:02 am

Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself as a new reader and a neighbor from Lebanon, Ohio! I’m quite the house junkie myself and have been digging your posts. haven’t had time to dig back into the archives yet, but I’m looking forward to it!

We’re planning a move down to the Wyoming area (in Cincy) in about 18 months, Our house isn’t even on the market yet, but I’m already stalking the online listings. It’s a disease, I tell you!

Anyway, damn glad to meet you!

Catherine

courtney @ nesting instincts June 20, 2008 at 9:07 am

Doesn’t she miss pink when she goes down to Mexico?? LOL You gotta appreciate a woman who knows what she likes. :-)

KC Neal June 20, 2008 at 9:17 am

Wow..I have to say that there is a reason that I am on the journey that I am on. I really do want to see why people who are successful are able to do what they do. You are a designer, right? You study others, huh? Your house is really pretty and Betsy’s it’s something…

It didn’t jump into looking like that…that is years and years of searching and looking… just beautiful! Both of you! So glad that you gave us that tour… Stunning!

Diana June 20, 2008 at 9:34 am

OH MY – what a place…but does suite her personality!

Amy June 20, 2008 at 11:22 am

I love the ceiling and the floors- and that’s pretty much it. My daughters would be in heaven though.

I like Betseyville better but I can’t imagine I’d want to rent it. Besides my husband would *hate* it, I don’t even have to ask him.

Elizabeth June 20, 2008 at 11:25 am

I adore this woman. I really do. And that first bathroom in NY, ahhh…. I love that.

Elizabeth June 20, 2008 at 11:31 am

PS… your ‘click here’ link wasnt working for me. FYI.

Mamacita June 20, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Oh my goodness – the Pepto Bismol of it all!
Seriously, it’s a nice home if you can get past the pink!

Fifi June 20, 2008 at 12:31 pm

SO FUN… I’ve seen some these photos… GIRL JUST WANTS TO HAVE FUN!

hookedonhouses June 20, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the broken link, Elizabeth! That’s one of those things I’d never probably notice unless one of my helpful readers pointed it out.

There are all sorts of weird things happening on Wordpress today. There is a photo of the pool at Betseyville that apparently only some of my readers are able to see. I have fooled with it for an hour and still can’t get it to appear when I republish the post. Bizarre. I apologize to those of you who can’t see it! (It should be the last picture in the post–some of you are seeing nothing but extra white space.) I keep hoping it’ll magically reappear, since it says it’s there in the HTML code and in Edit mode.

Do you ever feel like technology is ganging up on you and making your life more difficult on purpose?? -Julia ;-)

Lisa June 20, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Neither house is really my style, but I do kind of like the bathroom in the Mexico house. I like the color (green is my fav.), floor, and tub.

TraceyB June 20, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Wow! now that’s a place only a girly girl could love.

Hmm, I suddenly have a craving for cotton candy.

rhondi June 20, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Hi
I saw your comment on Kari & Kijsa and had to visit because I loved the name “hooked on houses” . I’m so glad I stopped by because I love Betsy Johnson’s playful style. I’d love to rent that home in Mexico. I love it!
Can’t wait to read more of your older posts too. Glad to meet you.
Rhondi

Julie June 20, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Like living in Barbie’s house….

abbreviated June 20, 2008 at 10:19 pm

I could vacation there !

Angela June 20, 2008 at 11:24 pm

LOVE IT ALL!

mrs. french June 21, 2008 at 1:40 am

She just makes me smile.

Tori June 21, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I love them!!! It would be so awesome to go and stay at Bettsyville.
Personally I wouldn’t want my own house to look like these houses. But I still love them!

Amy Jo June 21, 2008 at 8:18 pm

DId you see that staircase in the penthouse? The very steep black one with no railing all the way up? Maybe it’s the mother in me, but I wanted to yell out “DANGER! DANGER!” :)

Joni Webb June 21, 2008 at 8:35 pm

she’s so cute !!! sorry, I just love her!

thanks for the comment – I used to live and die for Waverly too!!

Joni

Robin June 22, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Hey Julia, just catching up on all my blog reading bacaklog and loving this post! Betsey is a bit over the top but I love her anyway. Its a good thing she’s famous ’cause otherwise you know her realtor would have had her beige that place down!

Beck October 9, 2008 at 2:47 am

what’s not to love! I love it when people use color!

Mac September 4, 2009 at 7:48 am

I think the one in Mexico could be just a tad bit too outgoing for my taste. Of course, no doubt it fits her and it’s an adorable masterpeice she has turned it into. I think it just goes to show her personality even more. I love it. I wouldn’t buy it, but I love it.

Cindy Lee Bergersen September 22, 2009 at 11:22 am

Hi,
What fun..and how completely irreverant…home decor is about you and your life experiences, not about Designer Vision…thanks for the fun…
Best
C.
.-= Cindy Lee Bergersen´s last blog ..The Worst Design Mistakes – Part II – The Dangers of No Design vs. Fake Solutions =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints September 23, 2009 at 8:56 am

The pink place looks like my grandma’s house. Not a fan. I do like the light over the dining room table. Her mexican get-away is a lot better. I could visit there.
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Motherhood & Guilt =-.

Dawn October 21, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I love it! It’s unique and fun! Wish I had the money and daring to do something like that myself.

Tami December 24, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Her house was pinktastic wow!
.-= Tami´s last blog ..Puttin on the Ritz with Devyne Stephens! =-.

megan February 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm

i absolutely love it
thats exactly how i dream my house one day looking like.
oh how id love to live …even just visit in that house.
GORGOUS!!!

merann June 10, 2010 at 4:35 am

wouldn’t be my style, but wow for being original, and i honestly do like the “betsyvilla”!!!

merann June 10, 2010 at 4:39 am

oops, i mean “betseyville”

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com July 10, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I <3 the kitchen!
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com´s last blog ..Contest- Superhero Needed =-.

Jocelyn September 5, 2010 at 8:03 am

The Betsyville house reminds me of the house in Meet the Fockers. Beautiful!

sabrina July 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Speechless omg is it for rent?

{ 7 trackbacks }