Celebrity Real Estate: Drew Barrymore’s House in Montecito

by hookedonhouses on May 23, 2013

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA 500Last summer Drew Barrymore got hitched in the backyard of her Montecito home to art consultant Will Kopelman. Now they’re selling the traditional-style estate, which was built in 1937 and sits on 2 acres, for $7.5 million. Take a look!

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (2)

Although they maintained the traditional look of the house for the most part, there are definitely some quirky touches here and there.

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (3)

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (4)

I’d love to get a closer look at the collection of silhouettes on the mantel:

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (5)

The rug (above) looks a bit small for the space. And the ones in the dining room (below) seem like an odd choice, don’t they?

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (8)

There are 6 bedrooms and 7.5 baths.

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (12)

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (11)

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (13)

Her daughter Olive’s nursery is painted–what else?–green!

Drew Barrymore's house-Olive's nursery

Gotta say I never figured Drew for a zebra-skin rug type of girl…

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (7)

I love how cheerful her kitchen looks with the side-by-side vintage (or at least vintage-looking) refrigerators and the yellow and white checkered floor.

Drew Barrymore's house-yellow kitchen

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (9)

The listing says: “A walking path winds through the abundant gardens, citrus and avocado trees and expansive lawn to create a one of a kind setting. Mountain views.”

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (6)

One of the garages has been turned into a casual hang-out space:

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (15)

Like it? For more photos and information: Suzanne Perkins of Sotheby’s Realty. Sources: Zillow, Daily Mail, and Trulia.

Drew Barrymore's house Montecito CA (14)

Click here to see my Celebrity Real Estate page with more listings like…

Reese-Witherspoon-Ojai-house-915-Del-Norte-listing-cvrReese Witherspoon’s Place

Luciane at HomeBunch.com May 23, 2013 at 8:02 am

Good morning, Julia!

I just post about their home too… I feel in love with its grounds the moment I saw it when Oprah visited here a couple of months ago. The house is very charming.

Wishing a great day, my friend!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Lizhh May 23, 2013 at 8:25 am

I don’t know about Drew’s house, but most celebrities have their house staged before selling. You never see how it was decorated when they actually lived there, with the exception of things like kitchen, bathroom fixtures, maybe a re-purposed piece of furniture, etc.

hookedonhouses May 23, 2013 at 8:30 am

I think they would definitely remove a lot of personal stuff before showing the house. This one doesn’t look particularly staged, though, compared to most celeb houses, does it?

Lizhh May 23, 2013 at 8:42 am

Hard to tell with this one! I saw pictures of the house from last year that look different. Same dining set, though, so I assume these pictures are legit:

Here’s how the house looked when she bought it:

hookedonhouses May 23, 2013 at 8:49 am

How fun to see what it looked like when she bought it! The first link shows the listing with the former owners’ things. The second one is someone else’s house (they ran a correction notice on the post that it wasn’t Drew’s). Interesting to compare the two–thanks!

Lizhh May 23, 2013 at 8:53 am

Ah, that explains it! I missed the correction.

Alie B May 23, 2013 at 11:06 am

Interesting….I actually would have pictured Drew’s decorating style to be more like this first link which Lizhh posted (apparently the prevous owner’s things?) I absolutely love the black settee in the front foyer. I find the decor in the more recent shots to be a bit cookie cutter.

Deanna May 23, 2013 at 11:28 am

Me, too, Alie! In the pictures from the first link, I’m thinking: way more personality, and better art :) This “shelter magazine style” of decorating is getting as tiresome as Martha Stewart cooking segments and Real Simple layouts: almost zero connection to real lifestyles.

Carol May 23, 2013 at 8:41 am

All the homes in Montecito are lovely. Everything is behind walls or massive hedges so you can’t see much of them when your drive the winding roads through Montecito. It is a pretty spectacular bit of the California coast with great weather. It’s no surprise many celebrities choose it or Ojai as their residence.

Carolyn May 23, 2013 at 9:04 am

I’m surprised at how rather staid and traditional it is for Drew, but then she comes from a long Hollywood tradition and she had no need to go for the glam! (Thank Goodness.) Reminds me a bit of a traditional look from the 60′s, except for the kitchen, which is more fun, and the foyer which is a bit odd. Even the fabric on the loveseats in the den reminds me of the 60′s. Agree about the rugs, especially the cloud effect in the dining room, and I don’t care for the wall color there. In general, it looks like a comfortable home with lots of books and places for reading, and not at all an over-the-top celebrity home. Speaking of Montecito, did you see that Ellen and Portia may be buying John Saladino’s incredible home there? (See yesterday’s curbed.com.) That would follow the adage that if you see a celebrity home featured in a design magazine, then it will be put on the market shortly thereafter.

Dean May 23, 2013 at 9:07 am

Those rugs in the dining room are hilarious. They look like snowdrifts or iceberg caps.
I think the house is OK. Nothing that blows me away. Love Drew Barrymore though.

Teresa May 23, 2013 at 9:57 am

I knew being Drew Barrymore’s house it would be a bit “quirky” in style and it didnt disappoint. Those bold patterned sofas (whew!) in the living room say it all. However, it was kind of nice to see a kitchen that had alot of retro touches (side by side fridges, floor) and believe it or not no marble or granite countertops!

maryrose May 23, 2013 at 10:36 am

That was my first thought! What? No marble? No granite countertops? No stainless steel appliances? It was refreshingly fun and quirky. Loved it!

Lauren (in PA) May 23, 2013 at 10:58 am

Seriously, Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books in the bookcase in the garage?

I LOVE that!!!!

I like the house, and like that it’s still traditional with the pops of fun. I like that better than when people go over board with changing the traditional elements, like Christina Aguilara’s house.

Erin May 23, 2013 at 11:08 am

I love this home! It appears cozy & intimate and it’s in such a beautiful setting; a house with great bones! If I had millions, I’d definitely go for this over a big, new McMansion! You’re right, this doesn’t look staged. I was pleasantly surprised to see a house that looks pretty normal, with some of the same decorating “mistakes” made by a lot of us (like too small rugs)! It’s obvious a decorator hasn’t been hired, and it looks like she’s surrounded herself with things she loves, which is so refreshing for a celebrity house! Parts of it look quirky enough that I can see Drew living there, but other parts surprised me. The master bedroom and the nursery both look pretty staid, so that surprised me the most. Her image is so wild-child, but somewhere in her I think a 80-yr-old grandma is lurking!

stef May 24, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I agree with almost everything you said. In particular that this house doesn’t looked ‘staged’. It looks like real people live there. (:

Shelly Herr May 23, 2013 at 11:19 am

Love it! Don’t love the rugs. I do love the hallway desk with a typewriter on it!!

KD Largo May 23, 2013 at 11:43 am

I love it! Makes me think of how the homes of her older family members may have looked in the 60s and 70s, or at least elements of them. Tons of character, longevity, and timelessness. I love it.

Wendy May 25, 2013 at 10:20 am

Exactly! It’s like a fresher version of the old people’s homes I remember from growing up in the 60s and 70s.

Rebecca C. May 23, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I love all the wood in the house. Glad she didn’t rip it out or paint over it. It isn’t as quirky as I thought it would be. It’s very traditional. Love that kitchen.

Jen May 23, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Its a lot homey then I would have thought
I love the yellow kitchen floor

Real Estate in San Mateo May 23, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Nice house indeed! I want to move in and live there!!!

Corinne May 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm

It looks very warm and homey. Not all my taste but easy fixes(paint ect..) All that I need is the millions of dollars and a house full of furniture and I’m good to go! She is the only celebrity I’ve seen whose kitchen has a formica counter top. I like that too.

Nita {ModVintageLife} May 23, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I love the kitchen with the side by side vintage looking frig’s. This house is very down to earth in it’s finishes and I like that. It’s a great house. I wonder where they are moving?

Jo May 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I adore that the house looks lived in and real. 5 stars.

dak May 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Love that first bedroom! But yeah, the rug situation is a little unusual.

Screendoorgirl 3 May 23, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I was ready to be totally envious , but luckily was only true of the exterior. All in all -gorgeous!!!

Jennifer May 23, 2013 at 8:31 pm

At first, I was surprised this was Drew’s home because I expected something younger. It makes sense though since she’s always been a little retro, quirky and down to earth. I love the yellow and aqua kitchen. It reminds me of my grandmother’s old kitchen. :)

Julia May 23, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Love the retro feel of this house. Very comfortable vibe throughout. Finally a celebrity home I actually can appreciate for it’s down to earth quality. She has always struck me as down to earth versus wild child anyways!

Dawn May 23, 2013 at 9:23 pm

It’s a nice, tasteful house; not too showy. It looks comfortable and fun.

I agree with another comment that the white rugs are odd in the dining room. In fact, I think she needs traditional rugs – the more, the merrier.

Rebecca@MidCenturyModernRemodel May 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Seriously? “Gotta say I never figured Drew for a zebra-skin rug type of girl…” Quirky, remember. :)

hookedonhouses May 24, 2013 at 6:23 am

Not because it’s quirky but because I know a lot of animal lovers object to zebra skins and that sort of thing. I thought she would be an anti-fur, anti-skins, etc., type of girl. Guess I was wrong!

Esther George May 24, 2013 at 12:19 am

I hope the Zebra rugs are fakes. I love the porch and the grounds. It’s a lovely home the kitchen looks warm and inviting. I’m not sure about the rugs in the dining room a bit out of place, but you know how it is sometimes we all put things in our homes where later on we ask ourselves what were you thinking? Till next time Regards Esther from Sydney yes it is cold over here it’s the end of Autumn and I thank god for heaters.

Kim May 24, 2013 at 1:52 am

What a lovely home. I love how this house isn’t too over the top or too luxurious. It actually looks comfortable and a nice place to live.

Debs May 24, 2013 at 3:29 am

Nice to see it looks like a home and not a house. Some nice vintage pieces and character property. Surprised it belongs to Drew Barrymore, would have expected more modern design – shows you never know what happens behind closed doors.

Stacy Gordon May 24, 2013 at 7:00 am

Very non-Hollywood, I’d say, positively though! The house looks absolutely like a cozy, personal space where one would love to retire unlike those glam celeb houses that look ever-ready to be photographed by some celeb mag.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com May 24, 2013 at 10:21 am

I love so much about this place. It’s so warm and unpretentious. I love the simplicity of her daughter’s room. I love the surf boards. I love the double retro style fridges. Bravo Drew!

KMP Modern May 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I have to say I’m addicted to your site. I love looking at the homes and trying to figure out the personalities of the previous owners. This house is fantastic. I like how it’s not too overly designed, and I really love the sun room with all that comfy seating. Thanks for posting!

Wendy May 25, 2013 at 10:34 am

Surprised me that this is Drew Barrymore’s style. Can’t say I liked it for my own house, but it reminded me–on a fresher and grander scale–of the houses of my friend’s parents and grandparents when I was growing up. What I loved was the kitchen. You can just see the family and friends gathering there. And that porch, too. I liked that a lot (especially compared to the same space in the listing pics). I drooled over the gardens. That’s really different from the listing pics, and figure that someone in that family loves to garden. Thumbs up, Drew.

Christina from Dallas May 25, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I can’t believe she’s selling her home. I just saw her on TV showing Oprah around and showing her the swing in the backyard. Oprah said she lived down the street from her. Drew and Oprah promised to get together and hang out. Maybe Oprah kept her stereo on too loud and never took down her Christmas lights and it drove Drew crazy. Lol !

Mark May 28, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Nice home but is $7.5M a good price? Have to sayI really liked the vintage looking fridges.

{ 2 trackbacks }