Villa Sorriso: Robin Williams’ Napa Valley Vineyard Estate

by hookedonhouses on August 31, 2012

Robin Williams Selling Napa Valley Villa SorrisoRobin Williams has come a long way from Ork, the alien planet he hailed from on the late ’70s sitcom Mork & Mindy (I loved that show as a kid–nanu nanu!). This is his 600-acre estate known as Villa Sorriso, “which spills over the Mayacama Mountains between Napa and Sonoma Valleys.” It’s reportedly on the market for $35 million–take a look!

At nearly 20,000 square feet, the house has plenty of room for guests. Heck, you probably won’t even know they’re there!

According to the listing, there are 5 suites, a library, a theater, an elevator, cellars for art and wine, and a bridge gallery and viewing tower overlooking the valley.

I like that the kitchen is kind of unpretentious. Not like some celebrity kitchens that look like they’re only for show.

I could imagine hanging out in here, though, and actually cooking in it. Those views from the windows don’t hurt.

Interesting to see all the built-in displays in this hallway:

I was kind of surprised by all the blue carpet.

The listing says: “Olives and world class Cabernet Sauvignon grapes are established. Rare end of road privacy, adjoins thousands of acres of protected open space. This fabulous expanse is beautifully cared for by an onsite manager. Accessible within 80 minutes of the Golden Gate Bridge.” Sounds good to me!

*4/14 UPDATE: He has just re-listed the property for $29.9 million with Cyd Greer and Joyce Rey of Coldwell Banker Previews International. Visit their listing for more photos and information.

P.S. My favorite Robin Williams house will always be this one…

Mrs. Doubtfire movie house in San Francisco

Visit my Celebrity Real Estate page to see more, including…

Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan's house in Southampton

Xenia August 31, 2012 at 7:19 am

I love the views from the windows, but I really don’t care for the house itself. It is way too big for my tastes and reminds me of a museum.

Bridget September 2, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I agree. I love the hills in Napa and Sonoma counties. Absolutely beautiful! I did find more pics on Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/robin-williams-house_n_1823555.html#slide=more246364

Michele August 31, 2012 at 7:21 am

Oh, that POOL! I agree on the blue carpet – can you imagine how stunning that hallway with the arches would look with marble or a shiny hardwood?

Rosemarie August 31, 2012 at 7:35 am

Why would anyone ever move? I’m in love.

MissVindicat August 31, 2012 at 7:41 am

Wow, that view! And the kitchen. And the hallway. And everything else. Gorgeous :D

Audrey August 31, 2012 at 8:30 am

I love it. I think someone did a great job designing it – even though it’s huge, the parts you have posted look remarkably homey. Also, I agree that the blue carpet is surprising, but somehow it works!

Lisa August 31, 2012 at 8:41 am

Hi Julia! I was impressed with the unassuming kitchen, too! Not so much the style of it, but that it seemed friendly and down to earth. (…for a mansion!) Though I don’t like a museum “feel” in any house no matter what the size, I did like the bedroom a lot. And the back expansive terrace with that infinity pool. The view was breathtaking! One of my life long dreams is to have a vineyard like that. (One of my favorite movies is “A Walk in the Clouds” – it is vineyard heaven!)
Anyway, love the photos, thanks for sharing!!

PS
I was so inspired by your black and white living room that I’ve decided to try it in mine and it is looking fabulous! Thanks to your wonderful blog, I’m finally learning to define what I really like (and what really I don’t) in terms of style and color in my own home. Something that has been elusive to me for 20 years! :) Thanks and Hugs,
Lisa

65andcounting August 31, 2012 at 8:44 am

I have such a disconnect. The personality of Robin Williams on TV, and I don’t mean Mork, but the guy we see on Leno or Letterman, doesn’t seem anywhere near the guy who would want such a statement of a house. This seems suits a “see me see me, it’s all about me” kind of star. Williams strikes me more down-home, less likely to want a 20,000 sf spread.

But if he’s looking for someone to take care of the pool (and by that I mean live in the house free and sit by the pool and tan), I’m there.

Lisa August 31, 2012 at 8:45 am

On second glance, isn’t that an Ikea Ektorp chair in the bedroom??? (I absolutely LOVE Ektorpl :) That is really surprising to see in a million dollar palace when the best of the best could be afforded.

Caron August 31, 2012 at 9:30 am

Well, we were going to go to Livermore for wine tasting this afternoon, but maybe we will head up to Sonoma and see if we take a look!

Cindy August 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

Does anyone else think that the blue carpeted hallway slopes down toward the camera? The countertops step down so maybe it is my imagination, but it seems unusual to have a slope like that.

Tricia August 31, 2012 at 9:49 am

The planetarium-looking foyer turned me off, but the rest of the house makes up for it. Sans the blue carpet, of course. Although I’d be spending all my time on that fabulous patio so carpet schmarpet!!

Bridget August 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

WOW! What a view and the pool is amazing. It is a little museum but a lot “cozy” for such a large home. My 3 kids would love that pool! And playing hide and seek in that house.

House Crazy Sarah August 31, 2012 at 10:09 am

Great house – but i hate that blue carpet everywhere!

RJ August 31, 2012 at 11:08 am

The foyer made me think of Cheesecake Factory! Not much about the house that feels very ‘Welcome Home, now kick back and rest for a while’ to me. Just too formal and museum-like. And I was trying to figure out if the built-ins have some type of vent at the top of them? It almost looks like a/c ducting is hidden behind the top panels.

Erin August 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm

HaHa. Cheesecake Factory… you nailed it! I’m also wondering about all those display cases in that sloping hallway and if they are used for storing/displaying wine since they almost resemble built-in refrigerators with those vents- odd because it has a wine cellar, but still not typical display cabinets. And, yes, that blue carpet is a big “surprise”!

T. August 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I enjoyed the tour. I like some of it, but not all of it.

I wonder what Robin Williams would think of MY house? The whole thing would fit in his foyer!

Kathy August 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Wow, what a huge house. Do love the kitchen and the views, though.

Kim August 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I love Robin Williams in movies. He’s a great actor. I love his house. It feels so welcoming and homey, but it’s too big.

Thanks for sharing this with us Julia!

Christina from Dallas August 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I wonder why he’s selling. If it’s because he can’t afford it because of the economy then who can? Very few can afford such an expensive house. Wonder what the electricity bill is?
The blue carpet is wierd but I love the kitchen. Also 600 acres? Wow, that would be awesome!

Jackie K August 31, 2012 at 4:52 pm

This home is grand, of course, yet understated in decoration. I love the complementary orange/blue color scheme.

CottageGirl August 31, 2012 at 5:21 pm

What a house …
and what a view!!

Is there ever a house you feature, Julia, that I really don’t like? Maybe only a very few!! Keep ‘em coming!

Heather August 31, 2012 at 6:44 pm

The photos in the actual listing are stunning! In case you ever wondered where he keeps all his awards, check out the shelves in the library. I spy an Oscar and an Emmy, among many, many others.

I read in the listing that the house comes with not one, not two, but three Kevlar-wrapped safe rooms. Wow!

Jocelyn Pascall August 31, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Really pretty view! And I agree about that blue carpet – it seems really odd.

Dean August 31, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Not what I usually go for, but it’s a beautiful estate. Normally, I wouldn’t consider blue carpet as an option, but I think it works in this setting and with the current decor. It all works together very nicely.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com September 1, 2012 at 8:17 am

What a view.
Plus I am seriously in love with that globe light fixture near the stairs.

Mary September 1, 2012 at 8:42 am

Beautiful location and home. I don’t know the market in this area, but does 35 million seem high with the amount of updates which most will wish to do?

Carla Z September 1, 2012 at 9:27 am

Wow! That is a beautiful home, that hallway is crazy fancy pants! I still love Robin Williams, I also watched Mork & Mindy with my sister when we were little on Nick at Nite, kind of funny to think of him in such a sophisticated estate :)

Linda G September 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm

The blue carpet seems a bit jarring at first, but take another look and you will see lots of touches of blue and aqua. The tile roofs are teal, trim around the windows and doors are aqua, a few ceilings are a light blue, too. It’s almost as though someone wanted to live on the water, but settled for a vineyard location.
I love the way design elements tie together, such as round light fixtures inside and out. I also enjoy the clean, open feel of the house. It’s huge, but it also feels spacious, and perhaps accessible for someone in a wheelchair. Yes, there is a ramp in that hallway with the vented cases. I wonder if that is an archival A/C system or for wine, as someone mentioned.
I think the most surprising element for me is the bright and simple wine room. Did anyone else expect one of those old, dark-feeling cave-like rooms full of wooden beams and barrel tables? This one is refreshingly different, although I bet you’d feel chilly in it, no matter the temperature at which it is kept.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints September 1, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Wow that huge globe looking light is unbelievable. Gorgeous house. Can’t imagine anything being worth 35 million though. That’s absurd.

Lisa T. September 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Perhaps its the land and vineyard it is on, not just the house.

RosieJo September 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm

The blue carpet ties back to the color of the roof tiles and the trim color used for the windows on the front of the house. The whole house left me cold and indifferent…I think you’d need a family of 10 to warm it up… I predict they’ll be lucky to get 10 million for it in this economy, but I’ve been wrong before.

Sandra September 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Uh—no! Given the choice between this one and the Fig Tree Cottage you showed us awhile back, I would choose the cottage in a heartbeat. Or just about any one of the other cottages. This place would be like living in a museum, not my taste at all. And thirty-five million?? That is obscene.

Linda September 23, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I love everything about it, whom ever designed this had great taste and Wow we the views and the wonderful wine vinyard goodness, I think I had died and gone to heaven, my coco would have plenty of room inside and outside, she as a puppy wuppy would get lost, days to find her, we could imagine living there if we had the money for sure.

Linda September 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Robin, I would not sell, I would make this one my home away from home in the mountains, and besides maybe just maybe a place to retire to when that time comes, peace, peace, peace.

Elaine October 15, 2012 at 5:14 am

I dont like big homes at all. Prefer little one bedroom place away from people.
Nightmare to clean I cant understand why people like to live in these gigantic homes .It must cost a bomb to upkeep and really no one needs all that space! thats just extravagant and materialistic!

{ 1 trackback }