Singer Celine Dion Selling Private Island Estate in Montreal

Celine Dion's private island estate Montreal

Celine Dion is one of those superstars who does everything up big, from her wedding to her ballads. Remember her $20 million “waterpark house” in Florida? Well, this 24,000 square-foot French Normandy-style chateau built on a private island near Montreal is pretty over the top, too. She’s selling it for about $29 million–take a look!

My daughter Lily walked in as I was looking at the grand staircase. “Wow,” she said, “those look like a lot of work. I wouldn’t want to walk up all those stairs every day. I hope she has an elevator!” (Don’t worry–she does.)

Dion and her husband-slash-manager René Angélil are reportedly selling the estate because they’re spending more time in the U.S. now. They’re downsizing to a smaller house in Quebec for future visits.

There’s a “completely custom La Cornue kitchen.”

The property is being sold “turn-key” with most of its contents.

The listing says there are 6 bedrooms and only 3 full baths in the house. I expected there to be more in a house this huge.

I’m puzzled by this bathroom because the tub seems to be sitting in the middle of what appears to be the landing at the top of the stairs. Hence the need for the privacy sheers around it, I guess.

Lily says the next room “doesn’t belongs in the same house.” It’s definitely a candidate for my “One of these rooms is not like the others…” series.

Curbed calls this her “dungeon-like wine cellar.” It is a little Phantom of the Opera with the candles and everything…

If you’re a celebrity who could use a little more privacy in your life, this estate would be perfect for you. Sitting on nearly 20 acres, the gated island includes a private bridge and a security station to keep the paps away.

Want it? For more photos and information, check the listing by Joseph Montanaro of Sotheby’s and the article in the WSJ (thanks to Kim for the link!).

P.S. Check out pics of Celine Dion’s “Waterpark House” in Florida:

Click Here to See More Celebrity Houses I’ve Featured!

When I was a girl, my parents had an old 1950s hardcover of The House at Pooh Corner that they read stories to us from…
I love it when readers send me photos of their houses, so I was excited to see Heather's Transitional Craftsman in Pasadena, California. The house…

Comments

1. Laura says

Not a fan of either of these houses, or of Celine’s music. But I do like her as a person – she always seems so sweet and genuine, and goofy in a cute way.

2. Stacy Chandler says

I don’t know why Celine’s taste are so garish…she came from such simple beginnings…I would have to agree with the above statement that the house is a bit of an monstrosity and would not be for me either. It probably could be reno-ed by the right buyer since it is indeed a very private location.

Well if you’re going to do a home in that style, you gotta have the jack to do it right – and Ms. Dion obviously does! Too often attempts at this very high style are made without the appropriate financial resources – those are the “McMansions”; this is a “real” Mansion!

These folks have never heard of the less is more club. They do seem to enjoy the best of everything. Good for them!

5. Sharon Reid says

Kitchen is tooooooo rich looking even for this castle, in my opinion.

6. Edward says

“Too much of a good thing can be wonderful” -Mae West

7. Edward says

The baldonied bathtub that we are all wondering about, is at the top of the landing of the master bedroom stairs (!!!!!) that lead to the bathroom and closets.

Oh Celine… I love you but…
    I don’t think a house should make people wince and recoil.
    I mean, to each their own, but, home is supposed to be a refuge – not a performance stage!

9. Christina from Dallas says

Well actually it has 6 bathrooms. But three of those are half baths. So still six toliets. You know if your kid thinks it’s too much trouble to walk up those stairs then it’s too big! Wonder how you chase toddlers around a house like that? Oh that’s right, you hire someone, or two or three someones!

Certainly not my style at all. It looks like a gaudy palace wannabe.

Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

11. Kelly says

Just the thought of cooking in that kitchen leaves me feeling exhausted! The whole house isn’t my style, but at least it is done well.

12. Carolyn says

This seems to be a testament to the tendency of those from very humble beginnings to make a tremendous show of their wealth after they attain it – the nouveau riche syndrome, if you will. Everything has to be bigger, more opulent, more grandiose as if they were royalty from a bygone era (rather like the robber barons). This is a house designed to impress, not to live comfortably in, but if you have to put it on a private island with massive security, just whom are you trying to impress? What does this say about you? Sure, the super wealthy can indulge whatever fantasies they desire, and this looks like a Celine fantasy. I’m not a fan, but she does seem to be a sweet, caring person whose priority is her family. Apparently, lavishly displaying her wealth and success, as her Florida compound attests to also, is important to her as well. You don’t see Oprah living like this, though.

13. ShabbyChick says

Very excessive for a family of 5!! And the decorating seems so over the top for a woman whose style seems much more casual and laid back, at least to me!

14. Christy says

I too thought those stairs look like a lot of work. But I was thinking of keeping them clean and dust free. I’m thinking that about the whole house. I realize she surely hires the cleaning out, and she has money to spare, but good lord! The expense of it all!

Ugh…. I can appreciate that gobs of money were spent to get the details just right, but I’m a simple, tailored-style girl so everything about Celine and her tastes are just unappealing to me. Not a fan. This looks like a grand hotel to me: all those uncomfortably formal settees and seating arrangements, & the 2-story master suite. Maybe there is another bathroom on the same level as the master bedroom (although with only 3 full baths, I doubt it)… I can’t imagine having to hike a staircase (or ride an elevator) for a middle-of-the-night potty visit.

16. Terry says

Holy Caesar’s Palace School of Design! Maybe Donald Trump will buy it. In all fairness, I’m a Shaker kind of gal so the first word that came to mind when I saw this was, YIKES!!!!

17. Kemper says

I am not a fan of anything about this house…right down to the gaudy eighties curtains.

18. Julianne says

To me it looks like the tub is sitting up on a loft in a 2-story bedroom. Looks like you could move the curtain so you could look out the big 2-story window. I’m guessing the bed and furniture is down underneath.

19. Rebecca C. says

It wasn’t as over the top as I expected it to be. But 24,000 square feet? Only six bedrooms in that amount of space? How big are those public spaces? The closets must be enormous too. To maintain this house, you most definitely would need full-time staff. I wonder if that kitchen is just for show and there’s another one that the staff actually cooks in.

20. Kim says

You’re Welcome! This house is not my style, but it was really fun to look at. It reminds me of those 1800’s and early 1900’s grand mansions.

21. Nadege says

This one is over the top and just plain garrish and unpleasant. Can’t imagine occupants ever truly relaxing in this house.

22. Junie says

Thanks for sharing Lily’s comments with us. She certainly is perceptive about houses. Wonder where she gets that from?

23. Screendoorgirl 3 says

I agree with Lily. The whole house looks like a lot of work! It’s not for me, although I do like Celine. She seems very down to earth and family oriented. Also,she sings like an angel.. Thanks, Julia.

24. Karen says

If I had 29 million available to throw at this home I would not. I wonder how a family actually “lives” in a house like this. It seems more like they would be renting a hotel room and everyday would be like exploring a new part of the house. Some of the other larger homes you have featured here have much more “ease” to them.

25. HollyM says

This is not a ‘home’. It is a hotel with woefully few bathrooms.

I don’t begrude anyone their money, especially hard-earned dollars. But should it be okay to spend it in lavishly silly ways?

Real people don’t live like this. People who believe themselves to be on a c-o-m-p-l-e-t-e-l-y different level from the masses . . . need this insulation and ostentation. Or, they’re simply royalty. (With which she seems to have a feeling of kinship. Remember her wedding and then the renewal of vows? Pretentious with pomp and costumes.)

Wouldn’t you feel as if you were ‘performing’ in your own life, rather than living, if you surrounded yourself with – – stages? And how does this lifestyle affect your children and their sense of place in the world?

Now, Howie Mandel, on the other hand, had a lovely yet livable HOME, which you have also featured.

I wonder if they use that huge kitchen a lot or just for miscellaneous things like microwave popcorn. Haha. Wonderful abode, though. :)

27. Maria says

It kinda reminds me of an opera house, especially the staircase area. I sorta like the library, but then there is that odd Ikea room…

For some reason I keep picturing it on Halloween, the outside could turn all creepy almost Addams Family without much effort.

28. franky says

wow…this house is beyond stunning……kind of speechless right now

29. Mary says

Dark rooms, many many details, parts I like, parts I’m not too crazy about. However, this house will last forever with what appears to be the best building materials.

30. Gina says

I believe the bathtub that looks like it’s on a landing may be part of a 2 floor Master Suite. Still, though, not sure why the tub is open to the stairs.