Kelly Wearstler’s Malibu Beach House

Kelly Wearstler in Met HomeAfter hearing the news that Metropolitan Home would be the latest in a long string of shuttered shelter mags, I checked out the latest issue, which features “Kelly Wearstler’s Ultra-Glam Beach House.” Kelly Wearstler is a well-known designer and one of the judges on Bravo TV’s Top Design.

beach house-living room

That funky French chandelier is made with “splayed copper branches that suggest seaweed.” (If you say so!) There’s one in the dining room, too:

Beach house-dining room

According to the magazine, the wallpaper in the bedroom is hand-painted “with lines as jagged as shattered slate.”  The vintage headboard is bracketed with gilded spirals. On either side of the bed are pyramid-shaped lamps and vintage chairs that are “all about comfort.”

beach house-bedroom

All I could think about was the time that Hildi glued pieces of straw to a poor homeowner’s walls on an episode of Trading Spaces.

Beach house-bathroom

Photos by François Halard via Metropolitan Home.

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to all of the others I’ve featured, from Gwyneth Paltrow to Charlie Sheen.

Comments

I like warm homes…I couldn’t live here, too cold feeling. Different strokes for different folks I guess :-)

Wow, those light fixtures are too strange. I thought they looked like loose wiring hanging from the ceiling! Each room was just strange. On a positive note, even though I didn’t like how they looked, the chairs in the bedroom did look comfortable. 😉

Christi
    .-= Christi at A Southern Life´s last blog ..Southern Trooper =-.

Ick. I wouldn’t call this ultra-glam OR a beach house.

I’m really not a Kelly Wearstler fan anyway, but this house really does NOT give me any kind of beachy vibe at all. I’m trying to find at least one positive thing to say about it…. ummmm…. well, the chair in the last picture looks incredibly uncomfortable, but it’s a pretty cool & funky shape :-)

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..A little kitchen sneak-peek =-.

Oh, I remember that Trading Spaces episode, my mouth was hanging open in horror for the homeowners. Well, I think Kelly W. is a great designer in part because she doesn’t let herself become comfortable recreating the same look time after time. She pushes and experiments…I really admire that about her work, though with that comes risks. I think this house demonstrates that risk quite well, I am not a fan of it.
    Janell
    .-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..A Detour Of Sorts – Holiday Decorating =-.

Yeah. I have to say I don’t like it at all and I’m kind of surprised that this is her beach house. Those light fixtures do nothing for me and, in fact, look too small for those rooms {seaweed looking or not}. I’m all for keeping things casual and non-fussy in a beach home, but this does nothing for me at all.

This home is very disturbing. To much movement in each room. Nothing calming. These rooms would leave me anxious all of the time. All elements of the rooms compete with each other.

…so over Kelly Wearstler… she tries way to hard…the “funky French chandelier” is wrong in so many aspects, scale, function, application…and I would hate to enter that bathroom after having one to many the night before…Arrrgh!!
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..Holiday Gifts and Decor =-.

I agree with Dagny on the weird 70s-80s mixture. The bedroom in particular is bringing up a lot of my not-favorite memories.

The rest of the house really isn’t my style either, but the bedroom is just wow.
    .-= PlantingOaks´s last blog ..Plant Lust =-.

Julia,

You already know how much we love it! We think KWID truly gets what was great about the ’80’s. Most of us get the ’60’s and ’70’s, and just aren’t “there” yet with respect to the ’80’s. Just wish you offered voters the choice to say we love it even if it’s not something we could live with every day! :^)

–CDHQ
    .-= Celebrity Digs HQ´s last blog ..VIDEO: Forbes on Celebrity Real Estate Woes =-.

I’ve not heard of this girl before – but I don’t like it. Those chairs in the bedroom remind of old papason chairs that we had when we were kids!

~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..Dream Job =-.

11. greenie says

I’m dizzy…I feel like I just went through a Fun House at the fair.

I used to think I could like anything if it was well done…this may be the exception. To each his own!
    Oh yes, I remember Hildi putting the straw on the walls. Those were the good old days! I miss that program..this original one.
    By the way, at the risk of showing my age and ignorance, who is Kelly Wearstler?
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..TODAY’S THOUGHTS =-.

13. Tricia says

……really wacky…..but not in a cool way……I actually feel sorry for her…..I hope she didn’t spend a lot of money on that decorating job…..yikes. The Hildi comment made me LOL!!! Oh gosh that was classic!!

Oh wow. Some of those features are actually laughable! The chandelier is ridiculous, and even if it *were* fab, it much to small scale compared to the room.

The “jagged slate” on the wall is scary. How could you sleep peacefully when you have that to look at!

The wooden chair in the last picture is just a mess.

When I think of beach homes, I think calm, relaxed, cozy, light, flowy, etc. This does not even come close to a beach house……….except maybe that it might be by the beach. :)
    .-= Amber´s last blog ..Do your ears hang low? =-.

Was it just me? In every picture, there were items in pairs that looked like either creatures or eyes. The ottomans in the first picture, eacb looked like an alien with 2 eyes. Looked ready to roll forward & emit some computer-generated sound. The light fixtures look like a spewing of wires from the ceiling.

There is no way you could convince me that this was a beach house. You also couldn’t convince me that anyone actually lived in that place. What in the world is going on with that house? Those light fixures? Seaweed? Really? I think not. Just looks like copper tubing sticking out of the ceiling! Once thing I did like… those big ol’ comfy looking chairs in the bedroom. Yea, I’ll take those.
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Yes, Please! *Friday Night Lights* =-.

This home is straight up ugly.
    I guess I’m not a high-end designer who can appreciate Kelly Wearstler’s artistic bent/style… it could be argued that she’s a designer who pushes the envelope; gets us thinking about challenging the norms of design; is an artist more then a designer.
    What it comes down to for me is that I don’t enjoy her “art” or style. I’m open and prepared to be inspired by a designer’s interpretation of a room, but anything I’ve seen from Kelly has left me turning the page. No inspiration found.
    Victoria @ DesignTies

I am so glad someone did a post about this house. I was too much of a chicken ! I looked through and read the entire article and was just appalled by the complete sillyness and just plain yucky stuff in Kelly Werstlers home.
    I know she is the “it” girl of television designers but come on people. The magazine showed a photo of her little boy playing in front of these two male busts with these silver orbs in their arms and I thought that would give the poor kind nightmares! Way way way too weird.
    She must also have gobs money to burn and not need any more clients!

Kelley~*~ the polished pebble

19. Dawn says

It’s not my style and doesn’t look beachy and inviting.

But it doesn’t leave me “cold” except for the dining room, which is really cold. The other rooms are not as bad but are still not my style.

Oh well. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

20. Kim says

Just when I thought I had seen the worst designs ever, I see this. That has to be the weirdest ugliest looking home I have ever seen in my life.

That bathroom and bedroom probably carrys on a converstion with Kelly everyday. Thanks for the laughs, it made my day!

I never liked trading spaces. I am glad that the show ended.

The bedroom looks like a “toon” having a nightmare! And that ugly wire handing out of the ceiling – what were they thinkin’? It proves even the rich can have no taste.

22. Jamie says

I remember that episode of trading spaces! They did some of the strangest things on that show. Hildi especially. Genevieve did every now and again but her ideas seemed a little more subtle than that episode you mentioned.

23. Sandy says

I think the bathroom actually looks pretty nice. Not my taste, but it would be cool to see at a hotel or something, lol. It looks like she lives in New York or some other concrete jungle and not in a beach house. :/ I think the dining room is the room without an inviting soul. I wouldn’t mind visiting the other rooms but definately would not want to live there.

I remember that Trading Spaces episode like it was yesterday! I loved that show (sigh).

I do not love Kelly Wearstler. Her designs are headache inducing for me.
    .-= Ann´s last blog ..Tomorrow Is A Special Day =-.

I think the chandelier (if that’s really what it is) is far too small for the space and it looks weird. I am not in love with it but to each his own.
    .-= Jessica at Lavender & Lilies´s last blog ..OMG =-.

26. Karen says

I think…maybe it’s just a house on the beach. Not necessarily a beach house.

27. Jillian@housewears says

Hi Julia,

I do like some of Kelly Wearstler’s designs, particularly with hotels like the Viceroy. Her bold use of colour and scale is interesting, and although I personally would never go to some of the extremes she does, she does inspire me to experiment a bit further with colour and scale in my own design. I am not a huge fan of this beach home, particularly the chandeliers, but some elements, such as the use of interesting sculpture, geometric shapes, weathered wood and symmetry of unique objects are appealing. Good or bad, I appreciate seeing the evolution, because I’m always wondering what the next trends are going to be :)
    .-= Jillian@housewears´s last blog ..Holiday Inspirations and Bathroom Renovations =-.

I enjoyed seeing the pictures, although this is not my personal favorite! I wonder if this is really ‘her’, or if this is a way for her to experiment with finding the next best thing – without the scrutiny of a client? Great post.
    .-= Things That Inspire´s last blog ..My favorite architect =-.

29. Jeanne says

Wow! I see a gutt job in this homes future….very cold and unappealing. They say a home is supposed to reflect the homeowner….hmmm.

30. Stori says

No! No! No! I do not like this on the beach. I do not like this anywhere.
    This is modern and edgy gone wrong. ick.