Before & After: Traci’s “1980s Yuck” Bathroom

by hookedonhouses on January 8, 2014

Traci's bathroom BEFORE

Traci wrote me about her Guest Bath Makeover and says she started with “classic 1980’s yuck.” But now? “I’m so happy with this room remodel that I smile each time I walk by it. It was absolutely worth the six months that we spent working on it.” Here’s how it looks now…

Traci's bathroom AFTER

The beadboard paneling gives the room a fresh look it just didn’t have with the old tile. Here’s another before taken from the hall:

Traci's bathroom BEFORE 2

You can see what a difference the new flooring makes:

Traci's bathroom AFTER 3

Visit Traci’s blog Three Dogs at Home for all the photos and details. She gave her master bath a makeover, too, and you can see it here.

Traci's bathroom makeover AFTER 3

All week I’m featuring home makeovers to inspire you to tackle some of your own projects in 2014. Come January I’m always itching to freshen things up around here. My house is a crazy mess right now because we’re working on our family room and all the furniture got stashed in the kitchen and dining room. If I like how it turns out, I’ll snap some pics to show you. :)

Julia-simple teal signature

P.S. This bath looked like it could be related to Carolyn’s ’80s Kitchen:

Carolyn's yucky 1980s kitchen beforeSee how it turned out here!

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Kay January 8, 2014 at 8:59 am

My biggest pet peeve HAS to be those dinky, little pedestal sinks like in the “before” — every other bathroom on House Hunters has one, I swear!
Kudos to Traci for picking the chunky, square sink + matching toilet (from Kohler?); I’ve always loved those!

hookedonhouses January 8, 2014 at 9:01 am

I had that exact sink in my last house. I think they sold a lot of those to builders over the years! Ha.

Traci January 9, 2014 at 2:01 am

Thanks Kay. I do love the fixtures we picked out for this bathroom too. We decided to go with the same Kolher line, Memoirs, in all of our bathrooms. They are expensive but well worth it. You can check out my post about choosing them at http://threedogsathome.blogspot.com/2011/05/hello-toilet-goodbye-money.html
Traci

Luciane at HomeBunch.com January 8, 2014 at 9:06 am

What a great reno! I love bathrooms with beadboard paneling. Doesn’t it add so much to any space?

Have a great day, Julia!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

hookedonhouses January 8, 2014 at 9:11 am

It really does. I’m thinking I might need some in mine! :)

Jennah January 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I’m inspired to add beadboard to our basement bathroom reno. I love the look!!

Traci January 9, 2014 at 2:14 am

I am so glad that you like the beadboard, Luciane. I am hoping to add some to my kitchen one of these days. You can check out the post where I detailed the installation here http://threedogsathome.blogspot.com/2011/09/beadboard-in-bath.html.
Traci

Alie B January 8, 2014 at 11:19 am

Great job! Nice attention to wood detailing. I don’t think Traci’s original bathroom was thaaaat bad before, but it’s stunning now! :)

Traci January 9, 2014 at 2:20 am

Thanks Alie, but it was pretty ugly. I am so glad you noticed the moldings, we are changing or adding them one room at a time. I actually had a great time adding the beadboard. My secret is paintable caulking and lots of it. You can check it out here http://threedogsathome.blogspot.com/2011/09/beadboard-in-bath.html.
Traci

Jen January 8, 2014 at 11:25 am

beautiful cozy bathroom really like the color and love the light and taps

tricia @ littlecottageonthepond January 8, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Just lovely! So fresh and up to date :) I am a HUGE fan of beadboard too!

Traci January 9, 2014 at 2:32 am

I love your discription of my powder room, that was exactly what I was going for in there. It was actually easy to install. You can check it out here http://threedogsathome.blogspot.com/2011/09/beadboard-in-bath.html. Do you have any beadboard in your home?
Traci

Carol M January 8, 2014 at 3:47 pm

What a transformation. Love the new bathroom. I just can’t figure out why it took six months to do. Maybe from start of the idea process to completion? If that’s the case, it would probably take me a lot longer. I always seem to get stuck in the decision process — I like too many styles!

Traci January 9, 2014 at 3:01 am

Thanks for your sweet words Carol. The only delay was because I couldn’t find a light I liked. We don’t have the best shopping choices here. It was one of those projects where in order to do the bathroom we needed to start with the floor and the flooring was connected to the hall, the dining room and the entry way. Then there where problems at every turn but it was worth the wait.
Traci

Sil January 8, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Looks very nice, but I wondered as well, why 6 months? Did they come across unexpected problems during the process? I am not a fan of any style of pedestal sinks, but I really like the bead board, which can look very nice in a kitchen as well. Getting rid of the tile on the floor and wall made a huge difference!

Traci January 9, 2014 at 3:09 am

Everyone had the same question about why it took so long. In order to do the bathroom we had to rip up and replace all the flooring and baseboards in a large part of the house. We also ran into several problems, we discovered a leak in the outside wall that had damaged the wall and insulation so we had to have a plumber in to fix that and move the pipes to behind the pedestal along with a few more snags along the way. I wanted to use an old dresser as a vanity but I was never able to find one that worked so the pedestal sink was a compromise.

Traci

Traci January 9, 2014 at 1:07 am

Hi Julia. I am thrilled to have my powder featured on your blog. Six months does seem like a long time to work on a 5 x 6 ft room but because the bathroom floor was connected to the hall which was connected to the dining room and the entry hall totaling about a 1000 sq. ft. it seemed to take forever. We ripped out and replaced all the flooring and moldings along with all the work in the powder room. And it took me forever to find just the right light fixture. Since we did all the work ourselves it did take longer than if we had hired a contractor, but where is the fun in that.
Thanks again,
Traci

hookedonhouses January 9, 2014 at 7:42 am

Thanks for answering all our questions, Traci! I love what you did with it. :)

Edwina January 9, 2014 at 5:08 am

I would, personally, give my right hand for the ‘before’ in our house right now, given we’re renovating the world’s most rundown farmhouse (the current bathroom is terrifying).

The finished result looks great, though – love the tapware.

Alie B January 9, 2014 at 8:22 am

I agree, Edwina. I’ve seen (and used daily) much worse bathrooms, but the new effect is pretty nice. :)

debbi in Texas February 26, 2014 at 10:06 pm