Before & After: Vacation Home on Lake Lanier Gets New Look

Lake Lanier before-exterior front

A reader named Faith sent me an e-mail about her husband, Steve Guello, who designs, builds, and remodels homes. She says, “He’s the most talented man in the world.” As proof, she provided the before and after photos of a beautiful vacation home he remodeled on Lake Lanier.

I thought the transformation was pretty amazing and thought you’d like to see it, too. That’s what it looked like to begin with (above). And here’s how the exterior looks now:

newrockfront

But even that doesn’t give you an idea of how different the interiors look. Check it out.

The Family Room Before:

Lake Lanier before-family room

The Family Room After:

Lake Lanier house 3

A view of the family room from the loft above:

newrockoverview

The kitchen was sleek, red, and contemporary before:

Lake Lanier before-red kitchen

It’s warm and rustic now:

Lake Lanier house 5

I love everything about this kitchen–even the stools that are all slightly different heights:

Lake Lanier 6

The master bedroom was dated and uninspiring before:

Lake Lanier before-bedroom

But look at it now–it’s a roomy and restful retreat:

Lake Lanier house 8

Looks like a wonderful place to spend a family vacation to me!

front door-entryThanks to Faith for sharing these photos with us. You can see more photos, get information about buying or renting this vacation home, and see others on Lake Lanier on Steve Guello’s website.

metamorphosis monday-bnotp

Today I’m joining Susan’s Metamorphosis Monday party at Between Naps on the Porch. Head over there to see more makeovers!

Want to see more? Go to Before & Afters!

old master bath
My poor master bath desperately needs a makeover. I've been trying to decide what to do with it since we moved here, so I'm always…
Coastal Living Idea House 09 exterior
There's an interesting article on MarketWatch touting the must-have features buyers are demanding from new homes now.  An annual survey reveals what is gaining in…

Comments

What a beautiful home! I live very close to Lake Lanier. What in the world was up with that contemporary red kitchen? It was so wrong for that house! I am in love with the green and black cabinets. (I think they were black, maybe really dark brown?) Anyway, thanks for sharing. That is an AWESOME remodel!

~Misti
    .-= Misti England´s last blog ..My Sister in Law is saving like crazy! =-.

Wow! It was so sad and frumpy before. Now it looks like a suave lake home! Really love the kitchen.

Gorgeous! You don’t realize how big it is from the outside. So glad he changed that kitchen ~ it looked so totally out of place. Also, while I’m a big fan of trees, I’m glad a few were removed from the front of the house. I’m a little nervous personally to have trees so close to my house {especially during hurricane season}.

4. Cheryl says

I think I’m in love. Faith, you lucky girl! So much character and warmth – I would feel relaxed just walking in the front door. Us single girls dream of finding a guy with enough handy man skills to hang a shelf (level) let alone something this beautiful. Steve has raised the bar.

Wow. Rustic Chic at its best! And I adore the kitchen. I recently painted my cabinets black and I love how it looks with the stainless appliances. She’s right. Her hubs is very talented!

Alison
    .-= Alison Agnew´s last blog ..The Frippery File =-.

WOW! Now that is what I call a transformation! I love it all! Of course I loved the sleek red kitchen, but that would stick out like a sore thumb with all the other rustic charm. LOVELY!
    .-= Tammy´s last blog ..Pictures from 2 walks =-.

7. Nathan says

I love the inside but I really dislike the wood facing of the addition over the garage. And I don’t really like the garage doors paired with the rest of the house.

8. lucianna says

Love the way small and odd little things -vintage fabrics, stools of varying heights-create the warm atmosphere in this home. Nicely done!

I think I’ve found my dream home! I love all the different levels of the house. Too bad the website doesn’t have the floor plan. I wish Ohio wasn’t so far away from Washington, then I could hire Steve to build it for me. Very talented.
    .-= Valerie´s last blog ..99 Things =-.

Cottages/houses on the lake should look rustic like this. I love it! A contemporary interior just doesn’t say “lakeside” to me. Steve Guello, absolutely magnificent work!
    .-= Sara´s last blog ..House Fix =-.

11. Kim says

What an amazing transformation! I would love to have a beautiful vacation home like that, I would never want to leave. I wouldn’t be surprised if the home owners moved there.

I don’t know, that sleek red kitchen just screams, “Lakeside Retreat!” to me…

Warm, cozy….definitely looks like a fun place to stay!

: )

Julie M.
    .-= Julie M.´s last blog ..A New Leaf… =-.

That took some hard work and some great vision! And I agree with all the comments about the great kitchen. After all, those are my same black cabinets!
    .-= Why S?´s last blog ..Shopping for Furniture? =-.

14. subgirl says

What a beautiful transformation!! I would love to have a lake home like that! He is a very talented contractor! Great job!

This is probably one of the best home makeover’s I have ever seen! So fabulously beautiful! I am so happy for you!
    Yvonne
    .-= Yvonne´s last blog ..SG WEEKLY MENU =-.

Holy cow, that is an amazing transformation! And, I may be inclined to agree about the degree of the mans talent. I know for a fact that curved handrails are a monster to create, and the one on that balcony over looking the downstairs is gorgeous! My own husband nearly had a stroke creating ours and it was 1/3 the curve of that one.
    .-= Merrie´s last blog ..A new, old Easter decoration- a treasure =-.

17. Kellye says

What a wondrous transformation! It’s not to my personal taste, but it’s really an amazing house.

18. Shari says

WOW! I am speechless! Is that the same house?? AMAZING job!!

19. Country Girl says

Seeing this for the first time….hmmmm. Lake Lanier is hardly “rustic” by any stretch of the imagination and it looks more like a mountainside retreat. That’s the problem with trends like this— people use them out if context and they look, well, out of context. Not a fan of this renovation.