The Top 5 Before & Afters from 2009

by hookedonhouses on January 5, 2010

I showed you lots of great makeovers in 2009, but here are 5 of the most popular. Click the “before” photos to see the “afters.”

#1: A House on the Gulf Gets a Fresh Look:

house on the gulf makeover

orange-line

#2: An Old Bungalow Finds Its Bliss:

rachaels-bungalow-before-1

orange-line

#3: An “Everything Room” Finds Room for Everything:

everything-rm-doors-before-300x225

orange-line

#4: A Dark Hallway Lightens Up:

joan-rivers-hallway-before-194x300

orange-line

#5: A Kitchen Goes from 1939 Sad to 2009 Fab:

bungalow kitchen beforeorange-line

You can see the rest of the Before & Afters from 2009 here and more at Southern Hospitality’s Before & After Party!

Rhoda's Before & After 09 party button

Did You See These?

Paula Grace January 5, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Wow, Julia these are amazing! The first one is incredible. And the last one keeps a nod to the home ~ love that they did n ot go overboard!
Paula Grace :)
.-= Paula Grace´s last blog ..Dream with a View ~ =-.

Art by Karena January 6, 2010 at 12:14 am

Wow, Julia, you know how much I love to see the before and afters. By the way I do really really like Sally Fields!
.-= Art by Karena´s last blog ..Winter Sky You are Invited! =-.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile January 6, 2010 at 12:36 am

Wow! Because I live in Indianapolis, I’m especially embarrassed to say that I’d not seen that wonderful bungalow makeover — or the cool but now defunct blog. Bummer. The exterior renovation is amazing.

I also love the kitchen renovation. Really beautiful.
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Preview: New IKEA products in stores next month =-.

The Little Red Shop January 6, 2010 at 12:41 am

Joan Rivers’ hallway is incredible! Holy cow, what a difference!

: )

Julie M.
.-= The Little Red Shop´s last blog ..Dormez Vous? =-.

Why S? January 6, 2010 at 3:42 am

#5 is my favorite. It must be a delight to walk into that kitchen every day.
.-= Why S?´s last blog ..Preparing for a New Decade =-.

le January 6, 2010 at 7:30 am

Just adore the bungalow reburb – just goes to show how an ugky duckling can turn into a beautiful bird … thanks Julia le xo
.-= le´s last blog ..Sweet Retro Treats that Won’t Make you Fat =-.

Pat@Back Porch Musings January 6, 2010 at 7:31 am

All of these are wonderful, Julia! I especially like the kitchen redo #5.
.-= Pat@Back Porch Musings´s last blog ..Top Projects 2009 =-.

bj January 6, 2010 at 7:55 am

All are amazing but that kitchen is AWESOME….
.-= bj´s last blog ..A few of my 2009 projects…. =-.

beth January 6, 2010 at 8:46 am

Those are some great transformations. The first one is AMAZING, and I love Michelle’s everything room!
Hope you have a great day! Beth. :)
.-= beth´s last blog ..Birthday goodies =-.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality January 6, 2010 at 8:58 am

Julia, those are some fab redos! I love the kitchen AND the beach house. Gorgeous! Thanks for joining the party, my friend. See you soon at Blissdom.
.-= Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality´s last blog ..Top Projects of 2009 Party =-.

Mary January 6, 2010 at 9:21 am

Do love all the transformations but really enjoyed the everything room and the kitchen redo is so nice too!
.-= Mary´s last blog .. =-.

rue January 6, 2010 at 9:39 am

Hi Julia :)

Such great before and afters. My two favorites are Michelle’s makeover and Bungalow Bliss (I’m so sad that her blog has ended!). The beach house was amazing too!

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..Top Projects of 2009 (and the giveaway winner!) =-.

DesignTies January 6, 2010 at 10:33 am

Yay!! Congrats to my blog partner Victoria for making your Top 5 list!! I’ve seen her “after” kitchen in person, and it looks even better than in the pictures :-)

Five great rooms, and great inspiration for those of us who are planning or are in the midst of room makeovers :-)

Kelly

Michelle January 6, 2010 at 10:54 am

Oh my gosh Julia, you have me blushing. Thank you so much for including me in this list. I’m honored! Your blog is amazing and I look forward to see what you post in this new year. The other makeovers are beautiful, that kitchen is so different, you wouldn’t know it was the same space!
~Michelle
.-= Michelle´s last blog ..Hot glue and ruffles… =-.

Susie January 6, 2010 at 11:13 am

My favorite is number 1. It turned out gorgeous. Joan Rivers transformation of the long hallway is amazing. How one long ugly hallway turned into such a gorgeous one is very impressive.
.-= Susie´s last blog ..Mommy’s In A Time- Out =-.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad January 6, 2010 at 12:03 pm

The Gulf House is my favorite redo! Followed by the ‘everything’ room.
-Trish
.-= Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..Wouldn’t Historic Virginia be Great ? =-.

Victoria @ DesignTies January 6, 2010 at 12:27 pm

What a wonderful way to start a work-week Wednesday (you know… mid-way in and you’re desparately watching for the weekend kind of day!!)… having my kitchen featured as one of your top 5 before and afters for 2009! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! How thrilling AND what an honour!! If all goes well I should have more transformations to share over the year and maybe, just maybe, I’ll make your list again!! There – a goal for the New Year!!
All the very best,
Victoria @ DesignTies
.-= Victoria @ DesignTies´s last blog ..That’s one sexy toaster!! =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now January 6, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I like the bungalow’s kitchen makeover. :) What a difference!! Her window treatments over the sink were really pretty. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..January Chick Flick Club Pick =-.

Dana Tucker January 6, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Love your blog and the before and after photos. I’ll definitely add you to my RSS feed so I don’t miss anything.
.-= Dana Tucker´s last blog ..Ten Decor Makeover Ideas for the New Year =-.

Heidi January 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Hi Julia,
As always, it’s so much fun to come here and get a peek into so many different homes all in one sitting! I especially loved the gulf house great/family room. And of course the kitchen redo is terrific, (but I do have special love for my own kitchen remodel!!) Thanks for recapping this for us.
Happy New Year!
XO
Heidi – Heart and Home
.-= Heidi´s last blog ..The Year Recapped at Heart and Home =-.

Bailey January 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm

SO good, I can’t decide which is my favorite…The house on the gulf (looove a pure white kitchen), or the green bungalow…Hopefully this time next year my pile o’bricks will be a top 5 before-and-after…if we ever finish! ahh!
.-= Bailey´s last blog ..Peace Out, Homeslice. =-.

Struggler January 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Thank you, I enjoyed visiting all these! I think the everything room is my favorite because the space was in such trouble before and it looks so appealing now.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..A Color Injection for Your Closet and Home =-.

pk @ Room Remix January 6, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I had seen these before but had to click again just to refresh my memory at what the afters looked like. Great makeovers! Hope you’re having a good week…
.-= pk @ Room Remix´s last blog ..Accessorizing Your Walls – Project It! =-.

Kammy January 6, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I love the projects you posted..whole room re-models are the best :o)
Thanks for sharing !
.-= Kammy´s last blog ..2009 Before and Afters =-.

Annie@A View on Design January 7, 2010 at 7:04 am

they are just amazing – and check out that hallway conversion!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..A Pleasant Peppermint Grove residence =-.

E. George January 7, 2010 at 7:25 am

Hi Julia love the gulf and the bungalow great before and afters. I must tell you I received my book this morning at 6.45 am – Downtown Chic absolutely beautiful haven’t read it yet but drooled over every page. Thank you for sharing as always what would we do without you. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Jenny January 7, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I remember all of these posts. My favorite is the first one!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Awards =-.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 12, 2010 at 11:21 am

I’m still in love with house #2… I’m so sad about that blog being shut down!

bungalowbliss February 1, 2010 at 11:56 am

Um…wow. My recent absence from the blogosphere caused me to miss this until now. I’m humbled, Julia! Thanks for including me in such great make-over company–and thanks to the commenters for the love!
.-= bungalowbliss´s last blog ..Bidding Adieu =-.

{ 1 trackback }