“Dexter’s” Michael C. Hall Buys Spanish Colonial in L.A.

by hookedonhouses on June 15, 2013

Michael C Hall Dexter's 1923 Spanish ColonialMichael C. Hall, star of the Showtime drama Dexter, recently purchased this $3.8 million Spanish Colonial overlooking downtown L.A. It was built in 1923 but has been so thoroughly updated that you’d hardly know it was that old.

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (19)

The house has 6 bedrooms, 6 baths, and about 5,600 square feet.

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (3)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (10)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (11)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (6)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (5)

Redfin describes the odd light fixtures in the bathroom as “Dexter-like:”

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (12)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (15)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (17)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (18)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (16)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (13)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (14)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (7)

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (8)

The decorating is very “on trend” with all the gray. Do you like it?

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (9)

For more photos and information: Redfin and the L.A. Times. It was listed by Konstantine Valissarakos of Sotheby’s International Realty. Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see the others I’ve featured.

Michael C Hall Dexter buys Los Feliz CA house (2)

By the way, Hall’s neighbor happens to be Private Practice star Kate Walsh, who’s still trying to sell her own Spanish Colonial across the street for $4.75 million. You can see her house here.

Kate Walsh InStyle 2009

P.S. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there–including mine!  :-)

prima June 15, 2013 at 10:18 pm

That bathroom looks very “he man” stay out of my space(but yikes, those light fixtures), but the rest of the house I like, especially the sliding barn doors. I would add a pot filler faucet.

CottageGirl June 16, 2013 at 4:08 am

Wow! The exterior totally belies what’s inside … Very fresh and and up-to-date yet traditional. Love the color scheme and all of those windows! Definitely putting these pics in my ideas folder!

Jennifer June 16, 2013 at 8:22 am

It’s a beautiful home and is very on trend, but the windows, doors, wood floors, and beams will always be in style. I love the gray kitchen. If someone else buys the house in a few years and decides gray is out, I would imagine it wouldn’t be a big deal to paint or replace them since they are already spending over $3 million on the house, lol.

Laura June 16, 2013 at 9:48 am

“You’d hardly know it was that old” – very true, and too bad.

Tracie June 16, 2013 at 10:53 am

It’s a little too “on trend” in my opinion….it seems to have little classic charm at all, which is a shame. Don’t get me wrong, I’d take it, though. :)

Kelly D June 16, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I agree!

deb June 17, 2013 at 9:02 am

I agree as well – too much “greige”, and not a lot of character (at least IMHO)…

Jake's a Girl June 16, 2013 at 11:03 am

This home I really like.

Teresa June 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Beautiful exterior but the inside really disappointed me. I was expecting to see something with Spanish Colonial character and charm instead of a more modern and updated interior which is unfortunate.

Jen June 16, 2013 at 1:24 pm

it is nice and all I wish it had more carcher and color
I like the black title and the pool though

Carolyn June 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I like this better than Kate Walsh’s.

Lisa June 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

“You’d hardly know it was that old” – very true, and too bad.” My sentiments exactly, Laura. :-)

Alie B June 17, 2013 at 7:53 am

It’s nice, but rather muted. It almost feels as though every room is on a dimmer switch. I really like gray but this is alllotttt of gray. :)

Sarah June 17, 2013 at 8:34 am

I love gray but I think it would have looked “happier” if they had painted the kitchen and bathroom cabinets a lighter shade of gray. Or maybe if they had taken the photos with more daylight? Love the beamed ceilings.

Kate June 18, 2013 at 7:26 am

I like gray too but I agree that most of this house is very cold feeling. It could have just used a pop of color here or there to brighten it up.

Yvonne Wilburne June 18, 2013 at 8:26 am

Thought he lives & Wks in Miami ???

Jane June 21, 2013 at 11:24 am

The show is based is Miami, but actually filmed in L.A.

The inside of the home is beautiful. Love the vaulted/beamed ceiling in the master bedroom!

hookedonhouses June 21, 2013 at 11:38 am

Thanks, Jane!

Maria June 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Well, it’s not Spanish Colonial anymore. Remuddled into typical LA trendy.

“You’d hardly know it was that old” – very true, and too bad.” I’ll third this statement. Too many of these gems of older homes are remuddled into something bland and charmless.

Wendy June 19, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Just got back tonight from a week in So Cal. This house makes me feel like the rest of the area. Pretty for a while, mostly interesting for the variety, but ultimately…ehh.

Karen June 28, 2013 at 8:59 am

Yes, this is very LA “on trend”. I don’t like the hand fixtures in the bathroom at all, despite that it fits with the show. I don’t really care for all of the gray either. I like some of the architectural features–the wood floors, ceilings, beams, and windows. Some of the rugs are lovely and I also like the bedroom. Still the outside is my favorite.

Eren August 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm

This house makes you immortal man… As you live in this, you cannot die…

Jean March 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I was in this home in 1958; it had old colonial Spanish charm in and outside, and I fell in love with the home; sadly someone else alwaysowned it.

updated is great but original had character