Jessica Simpson’s Shabby Chic House in Beverly Hills

Jessica Simpson's Hidden Valley Beverly Hills houseJessica Simpson is selling her 5 bedroom, 5.5 bath home in Beverly Hills for close to $8 million. The listing says it’s located in Hidden Valley, “one of the most private guarded celebrity enclaves” and has had “recent interior design and renovations by Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Couture.”

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (1)

The house where Kimora Lee Simmons filmed her reality TV show Life in the Fab Lane is next door. And Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban bought a house around the corner (you can see pics of it here).

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (17)

“This area of Beverly Hills is dotted with homes owned by celebrities. You can often spot a star walking their dog through the many canyon trails nearby,” local real estate agent Corina Galen told Redfin.

Jessica Simpson's house for sale in Beverly Hills 2

Ellen DeGeneres once owned this house. It would be fun to see photos of how it looked when she lived here. (You can see the horse ranch she now shares with Portia in the Santa Monica mountains here.)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (3)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (8)

You can definitely see the Rachel Ashwell/Shabby Chic influence on the house. It’s all very light and feminine, with plenty of slipcovers.

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (4)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (11)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (10)

This looks like it might be her daughter Maxwell’s room:

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (13)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (5)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (12)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (6)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (7)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (9)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (18)

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (15)

For more photos and information, check the Sotheby’s listing and the article at Redfin.

Jessica Simpson's house in Beverly Hills (16)

Simpson bought this house after her divorce from Nick Lachey in 2005 for $5.275 million. Did you watch their reality-TV show Newlyweds? For a trip down Memory Lane–pics of their Newlyweds Love Nest:

Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson's house on Newlyweds

Jessica is expecting her second child with Eric Johnson, and they just bought Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne’s former home for their growing family, which you can see here:

Sharon & Ozzy Osbourne's house Hidden Hills CA cvr

Comments

• Jonia says

Hi Katie,
      I tried linking to your website but couldn’t. Maybe you’d like to reply and put your link in? :)

• Robyn O'Neill says

I was going to say the same thing!!! Hey, there are two of us with style and taste!!

1. Neesha says

I really like this house. From the outside in, very comfy, shabby chic indeed. I love e this style. I love the greenery. I am in love with this.

I love the outside more than the inside, I like the stairs and the living room but that’s all. But I love every corner of the garden, however I was a little disappointed when I realize that what at first glance thought it was a pool house was actually the house. I scrolled downs too fast to notice the second floor! haha)

3. Jonia says

Reallyyyy like this “house?”. I loved that though it’s a larger home, the ceilings don’t appear to be huge; it looks inviting. While the decorating is more what I enjoyed five years ago I can easily envision being able to change some minor things and get my beach thang on. Big wow on the kitchen! My youngest and I would love to cook in there! What is that floor made of? Anybody know?

• Anna says

I’m thinking the floors in the kitchen are travertine and the rest hardwood

• Jonia says

That kitchen floor looks fab. If it is indeed travertine, I’m in floor heaven 😀

That little shaded ‘patio’ area with the stacked stone wall is to die for. Best part of the house, IMO. thanks!

• says

Me, too Gwen! I loved almost all of the house, but that space was absolutely to die for!

5. Jonia says

Oh, me too on seeing photos when Ellen DeGeneres lived there. I saw your last post on her place and really enjoyed a whole bunch of what she did. Since she’s vegetarian, I think I’ll become a chicken and move into her coop – her chickens got it good 😉

6. Sharrieboberry says

I wish newer housing followed the proportions of these older homes. Just feels cozy. It’s very beautiful.

• Emma says

I completely agree with you! It takes genuine skill to craft an expansive home with intimate spaces. The giant 2-storied McMansion living rooms in newer homes have no soul :)

• Maggy says

Ditto, ditto, ditto! Those soaring ceiling are neither cost efficient or economical (re: heating/cooling). I’m (obviously) not a fan of them. I’d much prefer having a decent ceiling height and utilize the space above for either living or storage! Please bring back the cottage living :- )

7. Laura says

Very nice and tasteful. I like the shabby chic but my favorite thing about that style is all the vintage pieces, which this house doesn’t really have. I found the kitchen too cold and clinical, but the outdoor areas are beautiful.

Love this house, so pretty.

Kind makes me laugh thought because when she was married to Nick she wanted to hire a decorator & they fought about it on Newlyweds and he didn’t. Looks like hiring someone was the way to go with this one. LOL!

9. Tara says

Joni on Cote d’Texas JUST featured this house in a HUGE way if you want to check it out.

10. Jane George says

From 5.2 to 8 million in in 8 years? With one of those years being 2008? I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask, doesn’t mean she’ll get it.

11. 65andcounting says

The exterior of the home is gracious and classic; timeless perfection. The interior is beautiful too, the flow of the rooms and the size of each, very inviting. It’s the furniture, wallpaper, and rugs that don’t work to my eye but the next owner can make a huge difference with paint or paper and warmer furniture choices.

What strikes me odd is that Jessica’s personality seems very colorful yet the interior design is very UNcolorful! Like someone told her this was the in look despite not matching her personality.

12. cecile delouvrier says

so cosy and cute; i rarely say that but i really like it both outside and inside; who knew Jessica could be tenderly chic? I’d buy it if i could! thanx for sharing!

13. Carolyn says

I think the landscaping is the most beautiful thing about this house. Love the little pergola area off of the den. I read about it over on Joni’s blog, too. The interiors are pretty and feminine, true to Shabby Chic style, but they look unfinished (in some of the other shots there are large expanses of bare walls), and I feel they may be a little too casual and cottagey for some of the formal rooms. The foyer is a glaring example of this. Is anybody besides me tired of white slipcovers? That bed looks very inviting, though.

• Maggy says

Carolyn, I definitely feel that slipcovers have their place, but I think that they’ve been overused in this home. I also agree with you on some of the walls (particularly the one in their master bedroom .. too bland for my taste, and I’d probably get swallowed up in all the fluffy bedding :- )

I feel that large rooms need a couple of large pieces to anchor them. I’m not a fan of furniture that “frames” a room (i.e., placed against the wall), leaving the middle of the room barren. It probably works for her daughter’s room, though, because it gives her a play space.

• Maggy says

PS — Forgot to mention that I also love the landscaping! Very inviting!

14. Jen says

its actaully very nice simple and stylish I do like it a lot
    not at all what I would have hought picture more color along lhe ilnes of cristina

15. Bonnie says

A few little tweaks and I’d move right in. So inviting and friendly looking…..

i adore that house. it looks so comfortable. that bedroom was amazing. and the living room with the beams and that back porch area! loved it!! i kinda love her too. i watched the newlywed show she was on. i think she’s grown up a lot since then:)

Love everything about it, inside and out! This may sound strange, but the one thing I love most….that wood table with wheels in the breakfast area. What a beauty!

18. dak says

Julia, you need to give her some tips on getting rid of that moldy-looking edge to her bathroom floor tile, haha.

19. Lucy Dennis says

This house while beautiful, is totally void of any life. It just leaves me cold.

The gardens are stunning! I would have liked to have seen a little more of the garden style reflected in the interior of this house. The kitchen was the least interesting room of the house. It was as if they finished every other room, lost steam in the kitchen, and then just said “Make everything white and call it a day”.

21. Teresa says

I love the bedroom and large sitting area. So soft and elegant looking. I also love the kitchen with the floors and farmhouse sink minus the oversized stainless hood vent. Looks like it belongs in a commercial restaurant kitchen.

22. Christina from Dallas says

Well this is a lovely house. I really like this style. I had heard of Shabby Chic, but not Shabby Chic Couture. Is that what happens when Shabby Chic gets an upgrade with more money?

23. martha says

A lot of white…….I am not a fan of the new white/neutral craze. I guess it is really not new, but it seems like there is a lot of it. I think people are afraid of color and feel this is a safe way to go. I enjoy the light feel of white and certainly don’t like a dark heavy room, but give me some more color!!! I am also really tired of the white slipcovers…they tend to look messy to me and I know you can bleach stains out, but they just seem impractical . Maybe my family is just messier than most. Don’t mean to be so negative, I Love the outside areas, really lush and pretty. This is great house and would be easy to personalize.
    Dek….I thought the same thing about the grout :-)

24. Denice says

All that money and NO art! Unreal!

Pretty but generic.

I love the décor. :-) I still love the “shabby chic” romantic style, even though modern is more in vogue now. I don’t tend to follow trends, I just like what I like, and that happens to be a vintage, romantic look.

26. Alie B says

I love this house! Yes, it’s a bit void of personality, but that could be remedied quickly. I’m sure they have put some things away to stage the place. I love that the overall feel is feminine without being frou frou or fussy.

27. Maryam says

I totally fell in love with this home from the pictures. Then I realized that the kitchen can end up being a pain in the butt for people who love to cook. Most of the cabinets are located on the bottom which can be stressful on your back and you might constantly hit your head on the side of the counters. Also the stove is on the opposite side of the room from the sink that’s quite a walk considering all that space. However I still love the house esp the shabby chic look.

28. Alie B says

Julia, speaking of Rachel Ashwell, I’ve been hearing a lot about her having copyrighted the term “Shabby Chic” and people are being sued based on their use of it. Do you have any information on this? If so, would you please enlighten us on said topic?

29. seraphina says

Gorgeous. Love the design.
    Hate the wrinkles on the slipcovers.

30. Karen says

Love the exterior and landscaping of this home–timeless and classic and so beautiful. Also the little shaded ‘patio’ area with the stacked stone wall is fabulous and I agree with some of the other sentiments that it is one of the best parts of the home.

Thanks for sharing.

31. Sandra says

This house is so beautiful !!! Interior or garden. If I were Jessica Simpson, I would never sell this mansion.