J.K. Rowling Lived Here & More “House Stories” of the Week

by hookedonhouses on September 27, 2012

Here are 6 things that caught my eye this week:

1. Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling wrote some of her books in this Edinburgh home: Listing.

2. If you’re going to live in an Old Schoolbus, this is the way to do it: Tiny House Listings.

3. A Foyer Makeover: Designer Stephen Saint-Onge.

4. A reader transformed an ordinary suburban home into her own “castle:” Before & After Pics.

5. A Cape Cod in Massachusetts “Explodes with Color:” Houzz.

6. Emily Thorne’s real-life Beach House from the TV Show Revenge  (I’m obsessed with that show–and the sets!): Listing Pics.

Many thanks to all the readers who sent me these links. Happy weekend!

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) September 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Love the Edinburgh house! Beautiful setting, too!

Wendy September 27, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I would love to spend time in that colorful old house. Those folks know how to be real and comfortable in their space. Woo hoo!

Beverly September 28, 2012 at 6:37 am

Stephen Saint-Onge’s foyer makeover is not bad but his decision to paint the staircase all white was not a good one. Not only did he destroy its charming character but keeping the white hand rail looking fresh and clean will be an added chore for the homeowner. Better to have left it the way it was.

Slab September 29, 2012 at 10:24 am

I was so sad to see that beautiful wood painted. And the runner was so poorly installed. It looks like a trip hazard. And no effort was made to match up the stripes.

Donna September 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm

In all fairness, Stephen Saint-Onge writes on his blog that the runner is washable and it is just tacked on so that it can be removed for washing. As far as the white bannister, a magic eraser is simple and quick. I for one love the transformation!

House Crazy Sarah September 28, 2012 at 9:48 am

That colorful Cape Cod in Massachusetts is so funky and cute!! I can’t take my eyes off the pics. Lots of house eye candy today!

Laura September 28, 2012 at 11:52 am

I really love the colorful house in MA. It’s very Bloomsbury with all of the hand painted walls, etc. I agree with the comments about Stephen Saint-Onge’s white railing, but even worse is the white carpet on the stairs! How could the “Designer Dad” not realize that thing will be filthy in a matter of days and nearly impossible to clean?

Jocelyn Pascall September 28, 2012 at 1:51 pm

As always, I love your posts :) Also, I want to live in J.K. Rowling’s home.

Kim September 28, 2012 at 5:21 pm

What a fun post. Thank you for sharing these with us. I like the tiny bus home. It would be fun to take on a road trip.

YONKS September 29, 2012 at 9:39 am

The “castle” makeover is pretentious and tacky. For what they spent here they could have bought a real one in France. Now that would be impressive.

Donna September 29, 2012 at 11:29 am

For everything the owners did to remodel their Florida home into a “castle”….wouldn’t it have been more cost effective to bull doze and start over? Or just build from scratch? I can’t help but wonder what the neighbors were thinking while all this was going on.

We have a “castle” home in my town. They have had to lower the price at least 3 times. It is unique, but I guess not everyone wants the bed up on a dias and the jacuzzi tub in the bedroom.

Barbara Barrett September 29, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I usually love Hookedonhouses. It’s a wonderful retreat to visit this site but I’m surprised by the mean-spiritedness of some of these comments. I love the Buettner “castle” …wonderful curb appeal for a Florida home! You should be proud of your design choices. I can appreciate all your hard work. Love the kitchen. Those mean girls…that is what I would tell my 10 year old…are just jealous. Good luck with your home.

Chris September 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I agree with Ms. Barrett. I love the Buettner Castle. They actually accomplished something great! Are people not allowed to dream big? I too am surprised at some of the mean spirited comments. They’re obviously suffering from castle envy.

A.Men September 30, 2012 at 9:12 am

Can’t look at Tiny Houses’s bus! They have a huge “Join the EMAIL” box that can’t be closed!

hookedonhouses September 30, 2012 at 10:25 am

I hate when websites have those pop-up boxes. I didn’t see it when I went to this one, though. That’s irritating that it won’t go away for you. I’m having a similar issue on one of my favorite sites and it’s driving me crazy that I can’t read the posts!

Peggy September 30, 2012 at 9:33 am

The castle makeover was fabulous. Shows great creativity and imagination. Fascinating how one lowers floors and builds a turret. Clearly quality versus cost was the goal. Excellent design. Don’t understand the mean comments.

Shannon September 30, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I love it when people have strong opinions in the comments, it’s entertaining and interesting. It’s fun to see who agrees with you. “Mean spirited” feels like a stretch, these comments seem quite benign. Especially to someone who no doubt utterly tormented their neighbors with their endless castlefication project.
And as for those stairs, they looked better before they were painted. Now I think they look kinda cheap. And trendy. But I like the runner, even though when you get to the bottom it looks like the cat installed it.

Julie October 1, 2012 at 10:31 am

I love the colorful house! Whenever I see homes like that I want to sit down with the owners for tea and chat. I imagine their personalities have to be just as bright and cheerful!

Becky October 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I have just finished watching the pilot for Revenge!!! Hooked!! Watching the episodes in sequence, only on the 1st episode now, but yes..Hooked! So thanks Julia, your words got me to thinking..same as you, I LOVEhouses and thought perhaps I ought to check the show out.. Yes..Hooked on your site & now the show. Keep up the good work.. I would so love to live in Amanda’s house, walk down the pier, I really could see myself there!

hookedonhouses October 3, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Isn’t that a great show? The sets, the clothes, the characters, the mysteries–love it all! :-)

{ 1 trackback }