Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin Buy “House of Windsor,” Veranda’s Designer Showcase

by hookedonhouses on July 5, 2012

Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin own multiple beautiful properties, including a Hamptons estate and a pristine Tribeca penthouse. Now they’ve reportedly snapped up Veranda’s chic “House of Windsor” show home in L.A.’s Mandeville Canyon for around $10 million.

The 8,000 square-foot “House of Windsor” was built as a concept house by Windsor Smith. The rooms were decorated by different well-known L.A. designers such as Kathryn Ireland and Martyn Lawrence Bullard and featured in Veranda Magazine.

Windsor Smith says “Kitchens are the new living rooms.” I wouldn’t mind living in this one:

The Great Room:

The house has 6 bedrooms and 8 baths.

The master bedroom and bath:

The screening room was designed by Martyn Lawrence Bullard:

There’s even a tricked-out stable in the backyard. Smith told the L.A. Times that she “wanted to give the property an equestrian influence to reflect its setting in horse-proud Mandeville Canyon. Designer Kathryn Ireland created sitting and dining areas filled with throw pillows, framed paintings and, yes, horse blankets made from her textile collection.”

There’s an awesome 360-degree virtual tour on Veranda’s website where I snapped most of these photos. It’s so vivid you feel like you’re actually walking through the rooms, so you’ve gotta go over there and check it out: Veranda Unveils the House of Windsor. You can also see more photos on Zillow and TMZ, which broke the story.

Click here to see more Celebrity Real Estate, including…

Gwyneth Paltrow's Tribeca Townhouse in Vogue

Their Tribeca Penthouse

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

liz cunningham July 5, 2012 at 7:45 am

love the picture of the ‘tricked out stable’ with the poor old horse looking in thinking where am i going to sleep now?

hookedonhouses July 5, 2012 at 7:57 am

Ha!

liz cunningham July 5, 2012 at 7:47 am

But i seriously love the kitchen!

W H Stoneman July 5, 2012 at 7:54 am

The stunning difference between the Hamptons house and the Veranda house is remarkable. The “screening room” compelled me to just shut my eyes…..that hurt! Barely enough room to stumble around in the “stable” room!

C Ross July 5, 2012 at 8:31 am

Too much stuff. The house itself is lovely. The decor is too heavy-handed and contrived. I checked out the Windsor Smith website and was blown away by what a pretentious phoney she is. She’s not a terrible designer. Why does she cover her talent up with all that swagger? Does the ridiculously over-the-top write up on her “about us” page actually work?

Christina from Dallas July 5, 2012 at 8:55 am

I love the third picture with the black and white floor looking down the hall. I just had to stop on that one and dream what it would be like to be walking down the hall if that was my house. I’m sure though they will redorate to their tastes and change everything.

Christina from Dallas July 5, 2012 at 9:44 am

I went to the website and took the virtual tour and it was awesome! I felt like I was walking through the house! It even shows you the ceiling if you want it too! Thank you Julia so much for featuring this house. I love it!

hookedonhouses July 5, 2012 at 10:49 am

I know, right? I loved their virtual tour!

Maria July 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I could not get the virtual tour to work; all I could get it to do was look at the ground. :(

hookedonhouses July 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I wonder if it doesn’t work as well on some browsers as others or something. Sorry it didn’t work for you!

Leo Windham July 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

Jane and I are thinking of buying something very much like that, but we’ll probably have to wait until next month/

hookedonhouses July 5, 2012 at 10:50 am

You’ll have to invite me over when you get your new place, Leo! ;-)

Linda @ MyCraftyHomeLife July 5, 2012 at 9:08 am

It’s perfect. I wonder if they will actually spend much time there…or is it just on of many for them?

Luciane at Homebunch.com July 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

Wow! Lucky them! I love this place. :-)

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Megan Hull July 5, 2012 at 9:14 am

This is a lovely house, as are the Paltrow-Martins’ other homes, but I can’t help but think that having multiple homes is an awful lot of work. I mean, to remember what stuff is in which house, what I need to pack and bring to each house. I know people like this have staff to help with such things, so I guess those assistants are like their extra “brains.” :-) Maybe this is why I will never be crazy, filthy rich — it seems like too much to think about! Haha! But I could handle a primary home on a lake and a nice loft in Manhattan. That’s not too much for me to think about!

etta July 5, 2012 at 9:18 am

WOW… I’m in love with this house, the exterior is stunning!!!!

Jennah July 5, 2012 at 9:44 am

Love the exterior but thought the inside was too white and crammed with “stuff” that doesn’t blend well with the space. The kitchen is lovely but I’d add some colourful accessories to make it shine.

Ann July 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

Wow! What a nice home.
I thought they are already separated,
so the rumors are not true after all. And this couple certainly have taste.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints July 5, 2012 at 10:49 am

gotta say i love it. that kitchen is gorgeous and the art studio/barn is heaven.

maile July 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

This is definitely a very pretty house, but there’s something about it that feels very cold to me. The lawn is about the only space that has any real life to it, maybe because of the fresh green of the grass (which actually *is* alive, but you get the idea). The rest is pretty washed out except for flashes of color here and there, but they seem to startle me rather than pop in a happy way. The barn is the only area that seemed to have any real warmth, at least to me.

65andcounting July 5, 2012 at 11:59 am

All of their homes seem very cold to me; especially the Hamptons and Tribeca. They look decorated, not lived in. As for the California house, like who has a bathtub in the middle of a dressing room?

It takes ALOT of $ to own three homes, alot more than I would have guessed Chris Martin was worth, or liquid $ to spend on houses and have enough left to enjoy them. It means staff times three, maintenance times three, property taxes times three, and deciding when to be at each. And isn’t Apple of school age where she’d likely have to be in one place? Since Gwyneth was raised in NYC, I’d guess that’s where they’d want Apple to be schooled too.

We own two houses and it’s tough. Three seems unnecessary but hey, their money, their choice. Keeps the economy going. BTW, don’t they also have a place in London or did they give that up for California?

Christina from Dallas July 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Both Gwyneth and Chris make millions each. Chris is in one of the most popular rock groups in the world. Gwyneth easily makes 10 or 15 million each movie she does. That translate to mucho dinero! I’m sure they can easily afford all these houses. Also, people need tax shelters too for all their millions.

Erin July 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I agree with C Ross and many others… that poor house is packed to the gills in those pictures. Just too much stuff! I’m sure Gwyneth will have a more minimal approach, which will look so much better. I hope she releases pictures after she’s done it up in her style! The house itself is beautiful!

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries July 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Love the outside – hate the interior design – too much stuff!

Maria July 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Comes off cold and cluttered to me. Bathtub in the closet? Have to walk through closet to get to the bedroom? Not a fan of that.

Stephanie Durdan July 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm

The inside of the house ruins it for me. LOVE the outside. I’d have to tip the thing on its side, shake the contents out and begin again.

Kim July 5, 2012 at 7:28 pm

What a great virtual tour. It was truly amazing. I remember many years ago, lots of websites featured virtual tours and I had so much fun looking at houses that way. Too bad not very many websites feature them today.

Even though I loved the virtual tour, I don’t care for this house much. I’m not a big fan of the floor plan or interior design. I do like the checkered flooring, kitchen, stable, exterior, and yard, though.

Wendy July 5, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Seriously? Except for the occasional piece of furniture, I don’t like anything about that house. Cold, crowded, and contrived. I love the marble island in the kitchen, but those chairs? Who could cozy up in those. Blegggh.

Kara July 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I could spend all day in that kitchen. Gorgeous!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com July 6, 2012 at 7:47 am

OMG I love it. It’s so beautiful and fresh and elegant.
Nice nice.
Of course I too am wondering where the horses will go.
Maybe they have a real barn too.

Aaron @ QuinnImagery July 6, 2012 at 10:05 am

The outside seems too bland, at least at the front of the house. And I agree with so many others, it’s too cluttered inside. But over all, the house is beautiful, just not the ‘stuff’ inside.
The ‘stable’ photo made me LOL. “an equestrian influence”….I couldn’t find a better way to describe it. It’s just ‘an influence’, you couldn’t really put a horse in there with all that stuff! That to me was just a very silly idea and a waste of time and money decorating that stable for the photo shoot.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs July 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

One of my very favorite show houses….How wonderful that it is them that bought that gorgeous home…For some reason I am thinking that Gweneth uses “Martin” as her designer…..Great post Julia!!

Screendoorgirl 3 July 6, 2012 at 11:54 pm

This is so beautiful. I love the brown of the sofa . It must be linen. What a dream!

Katrina July 7, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Just beautiful! Martyn Lawrence-Bullard and Kathryn Ireland are two of my favorite designers. (Side question: do you know if “Million Dollar Decorators” is coming back? Loved that show!) Thanks for posting!!

Christina from Dallas July 7, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I love that show. Did you see the one that had the lady that was the heir to the Max Factor fortune? She was so difficult to decorate for. I remember she gave Kathryn one million to decorate her beach house I think.

Wade Watson July 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I ran across the floor plan of this house a few weeks ago and saved it because it was interesting. The house is “H” shaped, with the entry, “great room”, kitchen and dining in the center crossover. An entry courtyard is one nook and outside private space is in the other. The net effect is that it allows for many more windows than most houses allow. It’s certainly an interesting design.

Terri August 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

After reading the postings, I’m wondering what people want in a house … I could move into this house just exactly as it is and only bring my clothing and personal photographs and be enamored of living among all the beautiful items. The bookshelves in the master bath are gorgeous, the fabrics in the living room are antique textiles – I read about this house in Veranda – the tub is in the bathroom, not a hallway, it just is so large and decorated that it looks like something other than a standard bathroom. Anyway, I think it’s gorgeous and a lot more personality than a blank box with one painting on the wall and a low slung sofa that so many modern homes have.

Jessica Oak January 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

Sorry for such a late reply but that bathroom is simply beautiful! I love it, really!

Thanks for the post so much :-)

{ 4 trackbacks }