New Owner, New Look for Spelling Manor

If you watched Selling Spelling Manor on HGTV like I did, then you saw Candy Spelling moving all of her stuff out of the ginormous 56,000 square-foot house when it was bought by the 23-year old British heiress Petra Ecclestone for $85 million.

In W Magazine, Petra let cameras inside to see some of the work she’s had done on the old place. Here’s how the grand entry hall and staircase looked when we last saw it as Candy left for the last time:

On an episode of Selling Spelling Manor, a former neighbor dished with Candy that Petra had brought in a team that was remodeling the house and they were “painting everything black.”

Here’s how the entry hall looks now that Petra has given it a makeover:

According to W:

“The interior of the Manor, once the domain of acres of chintz…has been Petra-fied. Designed in three weeks and installed in nine, a feat that required 500 workers and the tireless attention of the celebrity designer-builder Gavin Brodin, the house has been transformed from an old Dynasty-like set to a massive VIP lounge.

“Five thousand square feet of white marble lashed with thick black stripes pave the foyer; black carpet streaks up the sweeping double staircase to the second floor. Dark velvets line the walls, and little crystals sparkle everywhere.”

Check out the March 2012 issue of W to read the story. (Photos by Roe Ethridge.)

Meanwhile, Candy Spelling downsized to a luxury $47 million penthouse condo in The Century building that has a mere 16,500 square feet–the size of her former attic! Hope she can make it work. I’m sure it’ll be an adjustment.

Her daughter Tori Spelling downsized this year, too, moving her family of 5 into a much cozier 3-bedroom home in Malibu.

Last week Tori announced on her website that they’re expecting Baby #4. Wonder if they’ll be building an addition onto their new place or if the babies will share a nursery?

The Good Wife TV show sets Alicia's apartment
If you're not watching The Good Wife, then you're missing out on one of the best dramas on TV. Seriously. I was kind of put…
Tiny House family on Anderson-in front of house
If you lost both your business and your house and were struggling to make ends meet, how far would you go to regain some financial…

Comments

Why do I hear the theme song to “Green Acres” when I see Tori and her family? 😉

I watched the show and was SO curious to see what the transformation would look like…. I think she did it justice! And during the show, I really wanted to call Hoarders and get Candy the help she needed (needs)
    Thanks for sharing – enjoy the rest of your day. xoxo Jalon

3. J. Elizabeth says

You couldn’t pay me to live in a high rise in California, I don’t care how much they claim to be built to withstand earthquakes. Would think with all her money she’d get another house, just not a convention center like this one. Not cozy enough for me, but to each her own.

4. Christina from Dallas says

Looks like Petra has contemporary tastes. I have been following Candy Spelling’s move also. She is a supercollector/hoarder but, with her money and a lot of people who work for her, she can control it. The thing about these people, they can’t let stuff go because it represents a memory that is attached to the item. They think if they get rid of it the memory will go away. I sure there is a lot more to it though.

5. laney says

..oh my…every time i read anything about the spelling mansion i think of the lovely old home that was once there…the “farm” of bing crosby and family… the yard full of the roses that his first wife planted…more is not always better…new is not always better…and…well… don’t get me started on new families that take the place of first families…i am not a tori fan…

• Christina from Dallas says

I didn’t know it had Bing Crosby’s house on it before. Wonder if there are pictures anywhere? Did you know that Bing Crosby did a duet with David Bowie for a Christmas show right before he died? It sounds crazy but it was lovely. I saw it on a special talking about famous duets.

• laney says

…i have an old post card of the crosby home…MUCH MUCH simpler and very charming…and…in all fairness…for i have stated that i am not a tori fan…there has been much speculation that the crosby ranch/home was not a happy one for his sons…their father was a hard task master…and tragically their mother who planted all the roses took her own life…if that is true…then it is true also…that a house is not necessarily a happy home…no matter how charming on the outside…

• laney says

…well …i am back…after reading the link down the line…i think perhaps i have two houses confused…the house of which i have a post card was the house bing crosby lived in with his first wife dixie and their sons…perhaps the spellings tore down the house he had with his second wife and children…that house is much grander than the one called the crosby ranch…

• Mel says

The song they sing together is “The Little Drummer Boy”. It was sung during a mid/late 1970’s Bing Crosby Christmas with David Bowie as one of his special guests. Bowie still had a bit of his Ziggy Stardust look going at the time. I still remember watching it the night it aired, I was in elementary school. It was long before MTV, but the footage is still aired today during the holiday season. The song plays constantly during that time of year here in New England. It’s a classic.

6. Lisa T. says

Really cool. Appropriate for a gazillionaire young person, I guess.

Can’t help imagining the endless clicking of high heals as one waits for someone to answer the front door.

If a staff member lets you in, I imagine the awkward silence as one tries to decide when the other is close enough to finally start speaking or should you just wait until you are actually close enough to shake hands. Meanwhile….click, click, click…..

Did the television show explain why a 23-year-old needs 56,000 square feet? I suppose I should be happy she gave 500 people a job during the renovation. I’m still applauding Tori (and I never thought I’d say that) for coming from that family and seeming to keep it real.

8. Brenda says

I followed Candy’s move out of the mansion. Was there also a show about her move into her new condo? I must have missed that one. Tori always wanted a cosy home, with the newest baby, they will certainly be.

• says

There was a second episode that followed up and showed her making all the decisions for her new condo and selling the extra stuff at auctions.

9. Kim says

I have to agree with Laney on this one. I too can’t help, but think about Bing Crosby’s house that once stood on this property. It was so beautiful and actually had some taste. I don’t understand how people like the Spellings could tare down such a nice historic home. I guess some people can’t appreciate history. If I had the money, I would buy this place, tear it down and build a replica of the old house.

I always wanted to know what the original house looked like before this mansion was built and I was able to find it. Here’s the link: http://paradiseleased.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/the-ghost-of-mansions-past-a-prehistory-of-aaron-candy-spellings-mammoth-manor/ There’s even floor plans.

I actually like the makeover of the Spelling Manor. Go Figure. Tori and her brood look happy. I’m happy for her.

11. E. George says

Hi Julia – Bing Crosby and David Bowie sang the Little Drummer Boy now you know I’ m getting old. I have the Bing Crosby Christmas DVD. I’m sorry this mansion doesn’t do a thing for me it’s too cold. Did you see her (Candy) big collection of dolls YIKES. Tori and her family look happy with their life. Regards Esther from Sydney. PS as always great post.

$85 million? That is insane…and probably has a lot to do with everything that is wrong with our society (priorities are way out of whack). Good for Tori and her family for “downsizing” and even considering growing their own littel garden.

13. Jane says

Both versions of the home, Petra or Candy Spelling, have entrances that look like luxury hotels, not homes, to me? Given that, the black and white striped floor, black stair rails and carpet add “punch” and contemporary drama I still wouldn’t want to live there.

Also, such mixed feelings about spending so much on a home when so many friends and neighbors have lost their homes and would be glad of a small home or apt. but the economy seems to be picking up….maybe? Anyway, I wouldn’t want to spend so much on a house even if I could…or at least not that house. I’d rather spread the wealth and live in a house that seems homey. That one just seems stark.

14. a_wilsch says

holy canoli that girl looks like the person I would least want to be friends with… trying desperately to be a celeutard

who the EFF needs that big of a house – esp at her age?

Am I the only one totally grossed out by her???

• Jane says

Quote:” The sisters’ spending habits are apparently causing their father some concern.” Some concern? I bet that is putting it mildly.

Quote comes from the w magazine article noted in the original blog post here.

15. Miss Em says

Did y’all read that W article? That girl is ridiculous! She makes Paris Hilton seem down to earth.

• Jane says

I was a bit stunned when I read the part about her attempts to “learn” how to roast a chicken during an “hour ” long cooking lesson! My parents taught me by having me help in the kitchen. Is that atypical these days?

16. Laura says

I have to say that both versions of the house and all of those people depress me. What a vulgar display.

17. Rick says

Suffering from big house/small hotel syndrome. All I could think of when I saw all the black is that it matches her roots.
    What a waste.

Candy Spelling at least comes across to me as real. I know not in my same world but she still seems like a person. This little girl in the big house just makes me wonder where is her assistant.
    rick

18. A.Men says

I was prepared NOT to like it after watching the very interesting Candy Spelling Special about this great house. But I love the new house more in the two rooms shown. (I do not want to see the real wood paneling painted over in black, though.)

19. Michael says

I wish they would bring back Candy Spelling and give her a tour of the remodeled Manor and I wish they would release more pictures of the other famous rooms featured on HGTV special.

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
    wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

21. brad dams says

I think what petra did gve the spelling mansion new life. I like the black and white tiles that line the entry way and the black carpet that goes up the stairs. but petra did buy the house and can do with twhat she wishes.

22. Clare says

More money then sense. Things people find important when money is no object.