Scarlett Johansson & Ryan Reynolds Selling House in L.A.

by hookedonhouses on March 1, 2012

Exes Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds finalized their divorce last summer, and now they’re parting ways with their former home in L.A., too. The Buff & Hensman-designed “Wong House” was built in 1969 in the Los Feliz hills.

They paid $2.9 million, “totally restored and upgraded” the house, and are now selling it for $3.65 million. Take a look!

I thought it was kind of sad when they split. They seemed like a cute couple. She has since dated Sean Penn, of all people (didn’t see that coming) and he’s now being linked to Blake Lively of Gossip Girl.

There aren’t many photos in the listing, so some of these are from when it was on the market before. Here’s how that living room looked when they bought it (from the old MLS photos):

There are 2 bedrooms and 3 baths. Here’s a bedroom pic from the old listing, since the new one doesn’t show it:

Love all the big windows in this house.

I’ve been a fan of Ryan’s since I saw his 2005 comedy Just Friends. It’s kinda goofy, and he wears a fat suit in it, but whenever it’s on TV, I have to stop and watch. It always makes me laugh.

Like the house? More photos and information in the listing by Keller Williams.

P.S. One of my favorite movie houses is the one that Ryan Reynolds’ family owned in the Sandra Bullock romantic comedy The Proposal.

You can see my post about it and how they made a house in Massachusetts look like it was in Alaska here. His movie The Change-Up has a great traditional house in it, too!

More Celebrity Houses:

Jane March 1, 2012 at 8:44 am

I LOVE the view — not so much the house as it’s not my style BUT if I had to live there I would actually like it to look like it does in the pictures…. the furniture really stays true to the era of the home doesn’t it?

I am going back to look at The Proposal house, I really enjoyed that movie. I think RR is a cutie!

Christina from Dallas March 1, 2012 at 9:44 am

Two bedrooms? Guess they weren’t going to have any children or guests? That’s one way to keep visitors at bay!

Nicole Mulvany March 1, 2012 at 10:05 am

Good point! Two bedrooms is odd for any house these days. I mean three bedrooms to me is a must. Even without kids we always had two extra rooms for guests. I love having a house full of people!

ana March 1, 2012 at 10:01 am

the views are amazing. i could wash dishes forever while looking out that kitchen window !

Nicole Mulvany March 1, 2012 at 10:04 am

That front door and living room at first remind me a lot of the house in the movie “When A Stranger Calls” 2006 version for some reason.

The views are nice. The pool area and that area right off the house with the bar look fabulous for entertaining. But, otherwise this is not what I picture getting for over 3 million. Unless Ryan Reynolds comes with the house for that price and will cook and clean and entertain us with skits. If so then I may want to go in with someone on this house.

hookedonhouses March 1, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Ha. I guess you can always try to negotiate and see if you can get them to throw him into the deal, Nicole. ;-)

Molly @thewaffler March 1, 2012 at 10:11 am

I really like the open spaces and great views from those big windows. I’m curious about what changes they made and whether it got “glammed up” a lot. I also like Ryan Reynolds — and I have to love The Proposal because it was filmed in my summer town home of Rockport, MA. It’s bizarre to see how they digitally added mountains to a flat landscape!

hookedonhouses March 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Based on the listing info it sounds like the upgrades were done to make it more eco friendly. To be honest I can’t tell much difference between the way it looked in the old MLS photos and how it looks now, so I’m not sure.

polly dove March 1, 2012 at 11:31 am

You always do such a great job on your “homework!” I love that you posted pictures of rooms from the previous listing when there were none available from this new listing! :)

And I do love seeing how celebrities decorate. This isn’t my style AT ALL, but I always appreciate something that is well done, which I think this is. The decor totally fits with the modern design of the house. Loving the windows too – and LOVING that view! Wow.

(I have watched “Just Friends” on TV a few times too. Ryan’s character is hilarious and he was perfect in that role.)

hookedonhouses March 1, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thanks, Polly! Glad I’m not the only one who watches that movie when it’s on. Anna Faris plays an over-the-top Britney Spears-type in the movie that cracks me up, too.

Melanie Penelope March 1, 2012 at 11:48 am

I wonder what it looks like after restorations and upgrades…I hope they didn’t ruin it! I think it looks perfect the way it appears in these photos – the inside matches the outside.

hookedonhouses March 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm

It looks pretty much the same to me in the old MLS photos and new, so I’m not sure what the upgrades were exactly.

Melanie Penelope March 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Taking a second look at the photos I see what you mean. Thanks for the response and all your fabulous posts!

Mrs. Pear Tree March 1, 2012 at 1:10 pm

It’s really hard to get past the sqareness of the place and its decorating. Everything. Every. Thing. Is square (or rectangular)! It’s just so choleric I can hardly stand it! Give me at least a few curves… a sofa or even a picture frame for goodness sake! I’m surprised they didn’t find square light fixtures, too!

hookedonhouses March 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Ha! Maybe the next owners can find some square light fixtures for it. ;-)

Tricia March 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Great post, thanks! I love me some Ryan Reynolds – The Proposal is a staple on my DVR. As for the house… The interior is a little too sparse for my taste – nothing cozy or inviting about it. Would love to see what they’ve done with it. But those outdoor spaces… oh, that makes up for everything!

Kim March 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I love the views. They are so gorgeous. As for the house, it’s really not my style. It reminds me too much of contemporary homes and I’ve never been a fan for that style. I do love the Proposal house, though and would take over this one any day.

Jenna March 1, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Fun fact: Just Friends was filmed in my hometown, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. The whole city was a buzz about it at the time! Since then, seeing movie stars at the local bar has become old hat! (haha) For the movie, they used real houses for the sets and ended up having to make fake snow…which is ironic because we are covered in snow for 8 months of the year!

hookedonhouses March 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm

No kidding? How fun! And who knew the snow was fake? They fooled me! :-)

Amy @ The Button Casa March 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for homes this style. It wouldn’t be my first choice but I could see myself living here.

Brandy March 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm

It seems very Hollywood-does-Hawaii to me and kind of reminds me of the homes in the Twilight movies. Hmm, interesting. 2 Bedrooms is really small, but I’m guessing the price is due to a combination of architect (?) and location? Those views sure are gorgeous though.

Pat March 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Oh my, what views! Can you imagine standing at that kitchen counter, looking all Betty Crocker while gazing out that window!
Not my style, but yet I like it alot. I think I’m just a sucker for a view!

betty in munich March 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I always liked him and Sandra Bullock as a couple.

Ann March 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Love those glass walls…
And oh to have a bar like that facing that wonderful pool would be so much fun.

And IMHO they both dated down after their separation.

Kim March 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Oh I love the house in the Proposal as well – so pretty!!!

Billy March 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Better neighborhood, but about 50% /sqft over the comps. They paid to much and are trying to get more(?). Btw a den and library round out the house, so there is room for guests on the futon.

Its under the Griffith Observatory, and a house away from the edge of the park.

Nice place, but… you should Google “Dick Clark Flintstones”

ne1 remember Mr. Reynolds in “Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place”?

jodi from new jersey March 2, 2012 at 7:18 am

Thankfully, I’m not crazy about that house– I don’t have to covet it. I will, however , go to “The Proposal ” house and “Change Up”. La La land is more fun!

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 2, 2012 at 8:04 am

What a view!!! Too funny, because “Just Friends” is actually pretty funny. I’ve only seen it once, but Ryan Reynolds really made me laugh. :)

Wendy March 2, 2012 at 11:28 am

Really? That house is just ugly. I love the yard and the view, though.

Juju @ Tales of Whimsy.com March 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Wow I love the clean simplicity of it.

excitingLA March 2, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I just love those views! Sad to see them split, but that house is just great. I love how understated everything is. Not over the top, not too flashy….just a nice retreat. Great post!

Segelman Shaw Roofing, Siding & Windows March 2, 2012 at 5:00 pm

That’s one of the normal things that happen when a couple has filed for divorce. Anyways, the house is perfect, the view is breathtaking. I bet they had some wonderful times in this house. Too bad.

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild March 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Well, hopefully without sounding negative, I actually am a bit doubtful that this couple had a wonderful time in this house, as there are some Feng Shui challenges that I hope any new owner will fix BEFORE moving in. Overall the house looks of a ‘former time’. It does not look happy and there is not a single flower to be found. The ‘straight arrow’ entrance is not ideal. Giant mirror and tv in the bedroom are not restful. The beam overhead the desk chair is weighty and negative for the person sitting below. Etc.

Mary May 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I read they are no longer together. I wonder who kept the beautiful home?

Gentry August 6, 2012 at 6:25 pm