Renée Zellweger Selling Country House in Connecticut

by hookedonhouses on December 13, 2011

Renee Zellweger's Country House in Connecticut For SaleActress Renée Zellweger spent years fixing up the 1770 farmhouse in Pomfret, Connecticut, that she bought in 2004, but now she’s ready to sell. Her listing agent Jonathan Radford says that Renée’s work and travel schedule keeps her from spending as much time there as she’d like.

She’s asking $1.5 million for the nearly 39-acre New England estate, which is known as the Cotton Tavern. The listing says the property is “bordered by the picturesque Quinebaug River and surrounded by lush gardens, fields, and woods in a rustic corner of Connecticut.”

The property features “a main residence with more than 3,400 square-feet of living space, a guest cottage, recreation barn, swimming pool, and helicopter landing area.”

I would love to see this sunroom furnished:

One of my favorite rooms has to be the kitchen:

I love all the windows, the beadboard-paneled ceiling, and the old wood floors.

Zellweger calls Pomfret an old-fashioned American small town: “The seasons and landscape are breathtaking, the quality of life and festive holiday celebrations are of bygone days, and you’ll make more true friends in Pomfret within weeks than you would during a lifetime in most other places.”

The main house is a Federal-style Colonial that was built in 1770 but has been expanded and renovated over the years.

Want it? For more photos and information, check the Coldwell Banker listing.

Visit Celebrity Houses to see more, including…

Julianne Moore's West Village Townhouse

Julianne Moore’s Townhouse

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen December 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

Beautiful home and area Julia…and a place to land that helicopter…what more could a girl want?

hookedonhouses December 13, 2011 at 10:56 am

Yeah, I can’t live anywhere that doesn’t have a place for my helicopter to land! ;)

Sarah @ Redhead in Ruffled Flats December 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

Wow! Doesn’t look like the home of a celebrity, but I love it. I would take that kitchen, no questions asked! So charming!

Kim December 13, 2011 at 10:57 am

Darn I wish I had 1.5 million lying around!

Sheila December 13, 2011 at 11:04 am

Absolutely lovely. I’m sure the house was cleaned out of most of her belongings for the photos, but everything that’s left works, for sure. I’ve always liked her. And shockingly, I really like her ex’s house, too. At least the one that I saw in a mag several years ago!

Janet December 13, 2011 at 11:10 am

Pomfret is a lovely town, albeit a very prestigious town in the quiet corner of Connecticut. There are a couple of beautiful boarding schools and some very cool (and reasonable) antique stores. Who knew there was a celebrity living there?

Pat December 13, 2011 at 11:19 am

Sounds like the kind of place I’ve been looking for! Actually it sounds like a movie type of place, like Funny Farm with Chevy Chase, without the nasty mailman!
I do Love that kitchen!

Adam December 13, 2011 at 11:21 am

@Kim, you might find something more in your price range in Pomfret among the other 44 houses listed at http://www.ctreal.com – if not, never fret, maybe Ms. Zellweger will negotiate!! :)

Deanna December 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thanks for letting us peek, as always! It does drive me crazy, the whitewashing of every surface, though: this cozy house screams out for era-appropriate soft color and pattern. It can be clean, doesn’t have to be twee, but something needs to happen to pull these rooms together!

Katie December 13, 2011 at 11:24 am

Does someone want to loan me $1.5 million?? Absolutely beautiful! (Although that blue wall in the living room seems a bit out of place!)

Dean December 13, 2011 at 11:38 am

Beautiful and you’re right–the kitchen is great.
But…that exposed beam over the bed (in the master?)=bad feng shui. If you place your bed under a beam like that, it separates the bed, as well as the two people sharing it.

Brook @ BeingBrook December 13, 2011 at 11:54 am

I love it! So cozy, especially that kitchen. Love the planked ceiling and the beams in the bedroom.

Shannon December 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm

LOVE it! I seriously want her dining room table. And that stone wall! So pretty.

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet December 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm

So dreamy! I would love to be able to live in a place like that. Maybe one day…

J Vick December 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm

now that is my kind of house!

Amanda @ Serenity Now December 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Very, very nice kitchen!! And I love the “pond” too. ;)

Lori-Anne December 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm

You know, $1.5 million is actually pretty awesome! We have so many huge but characterless homes in my area that are waaaay more. Sadly, I still don’t have even $1.5 mill or a reason to live in Conneticut. But if I did….

Pam December 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

If I were Renee, I’d find work nearby so I could live there forever!

Mary December 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I think I’ll put it on my Christmas list – it’s perfect – and I agree the kitchen is a treasure.
Mary x

Lindab December 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm

She described my dream. After I watched Funny Farm and Gilmore Girls, I have wanted to move to a small friendly New England town.

shabbychick December 13, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Wow that library! Wow that master bedroom! Wow that sunroom!
And WOW that kitchen! The rest feels blah to me. But a gorgeous house overall.

Karena December 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Oh yes adore the kitchen!! A nice large sun room as well!!

Come and enter the latest in The 12 Days of Holiday Giveaways from Design du Monde!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Karen December 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Amazing that the price is that low for so much land. It’s very nice and would have been fun to see the sun room furnished.
Karen

Kim December 13, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for sharing this house with us. That kitchen is amazing and if I had a country home, that’s the kind I would want.

Jane December 13, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Lovely! Love the HL hinges on the kitchen cabinets. So New England-y !

Jenny Allworthy December 13, 2011 at 7:21 pm

That seems like an amazing price to me. 39 acres, a gorgeous house and a guest cottage? A recreation barn? This should be snapped up quickly.

Now, if we could only find her a nice man. She starts filming Bridget Jones’s Baby in January. Maybe a nice English gentleman? Someone keep her away from Hugh Grant however!

T. December 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Is it just me, or does that price seem insanely low? Sadly, even this bargain is too rich for me, though.

DERealtor December 13, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Very nice and reasonably priced, however, from the outside the house looks huge, but each room is very narrow. No window treatments, no personality, hmmmm, nice bones, but needs someone to actually LIVE in the house to make it a home. And needs a couple of rooms opened up, felt very choppy, from the foyer on. The grounds and acreage seem very scenic and lovely.

Pamela December 13, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Julia, almost 39 acres and the house for 1.5 million dollars? What am I missing? This sounds too good to be true.

Ellen December 13, 2011 at 9:18 pm

If I had that kind of money, I’d buy that house in a heartbeat… I love it!

patrice December 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I want that kitchen! I think the sunroom will be beautiful refinished.

ellie December 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Wow, she has good taste. What a beautiful home. Seems crazy to give that up. $1.5 million is peanuts to Hollywood.

Wendy December 15, 2011 at 1:26 am

Gorgeous house and grounds. Loved the kitchen (but would abolish those blinds forthwith). The blue wall was a non-starter for me, and I’m a big fan of color. I have the feeling she’s long gone and this place was staged. It just doesn’t give off any personality at all. Could spend all day happily in that library…or maybe the sunroom. Tough choice. And compared to California, 1.5 seems like a steal.

Ted December 15, 2011 at 4:16 am

I’ll pay 1.5 only if Renee comes with the house.

melanie December 15, 2011 at 10:47 pm

About 15 years ago, my husband and I drove through Pomfret and stopped at Pomfret Pizza. It was a lovely little town and the pizza was good too! I still have the magnet in my messy kitchen drawer. The house and grounds look gorgeous.

Michael December 23, 2011 at 9:58 pm

One of the best things about this house is the location/setting. I’ve driven by it a couple of times. If I recall, it’s on a gravel road, in a kind of wooded area, on a bend in the road, nestled up against a small river. There is also a large privacy wall in front of the house, which would add to the seclusion (though I never liked that huge wall because I felt it ruined the “curb appeal” & historic setting. But yes, as a former realtor in that area, I would agree that $1.5M seems quite reasonable.

{ 2 trackbacks }