Kirstie Alley’s Oceanfront Cottage For Sale on Maine Island

by hookedonhouses on September 16, 2011

Kirstie Alley has never been afraid to reinvent herself, from acting on sitcoms and in movies to poking fun at herself on her “Fat Actress” reality show; from Jenny Craig weight-loss spokesperson to second-place winner on “Dancing with the Stars.”

I like how she kind of marches to the beat of her own (slightly eccentric) drum, even when it comes to decorating. Her Islesboro beach house in Maine is unapologetically girly, filled with pink walls and floral fabrics. According to Realtor.com, it’s on the market for $2.35 million, so let’s take a look!

The 3,100 square-foot clapboard cottage sits on 16 lush acres on an island in Penobscot Bay.

I would never think to paint my kitchen pink, but I think hers is fun. I’m suddenly craving cupcakes.

It kind of reminds me of Minnie Mouse’s pink kitchen at Disney World that I showed you last year. (Did you know they took Minnie and Mickey’s houses down to make room for new attractions at the Magic Kingdom? So sad they’re gone!)

~

Looks like she collects all sorts of vintage goodies.
There are 5 bedrooms:

…and 5 baths:

Have you seen Kirstie lately? She’s lost over 100 pounds since she was on “Dancing with the Stars” and looks amazing. Hardly recognized her when I saw this photo.

She loves to decorate. We got a tour of her Kansas house on Oprah a few years ago.

I’ve seen some disparaging comments on the Internet about the way this place is decorated and how much money it would cost to redo it all. Without the furniture, though, it would only take some paint and/or wallpaper to tone things down. Would you love it as is or need to make some changes?

The island is only reachable by ferry, boat, and air, so it’s very private.

Like it? You can get more information and see the rest of the photos at Realtor.com. The agent is Jacqueline Case-Hall of Legacy Properties Sotheby’s International Realty. (Thanks to all of the readers who wrote to tell me about it!)

P.S. Did you see them mention this house on “The View” this morning? They had the audience guess which celebrity owns it. My readers and I knew the answer to that one! :-)

The Top 10 Celebrity-Houses on My Blog This Month Are…

Yvonne September 16, 2011 at 6:14 am

Her cottage looks like a doll house. I love that view….I need to get going and get myself a beautiful house :)

Beverly from Montreal September 16, 2011 at 6:19 am

Kirstie style here is unabashedly girly, pastel colours everywhere. Love it! It would be like living in a lovely fantasy film. Her weight loss is amazing and she looks fantastic. Go Kirstie!!!

Amber October 24, 2011 at 1:36 pm

e love it!!!! I lve this modern shabby shic style!! my favorite!!!!!!!!!!! gorgeous!! I love ur sitw I always come here for my house fx im certinley a dreamer!!!! all the best houses we want to see and u get perfext views and movies only show u so much it gets irrtytating! but u come here and bam!!! I wud love to see the bernie mac show house though!! keep it up gurl and where can I find pix of ur house? u shud poat some ur subroom is beatiful ir lokks straight from a magazine! like one of those homws u want but never happens so great u go gurl!!

hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm

That was a good house on the Bernie Mac Show. Thanks for the suggestion! Oh, and if you go to the “About Julia” page (http://hookedonhouses.net/about-2/) I have links to the posts I’ve written about different rooms in my house if you want to see them. Thanks, Amber! :)

Brigid September 16, 2011 at 6:37 am

I agree with you, all it would take is some paint, and it could look like a coastal cottage… but I like it as pictured! It’s cozy and pretty :) Now, where did I put that extra 2 million??

Sheila Krehbiel September 16, 2011 at 6:50 am

Love it! Not the pink, for sure, but some fresh paint would be an easy, inexpensive change. I think the only other thing I would alter would be the scalloped edging on the shelving. Otherwise, it’s gorgeous. That house has great bones and excellent location. And yes, she looks FAB.

Amanda @ Serenity Now September 16, 2011 at 7:00 am

It is a little too much pink, but you are right…some paint and new wall paper would fix that. the house has fabulous bones! Love the privacy. :)

Beach Vintage September 16, 2011 at 7:05 am

Absolutely in love with this placw, thanks for sharing x x

Ellen September 16, 2011 at 7:12 am

Paint is such an easy thing to change… I have a daughter who would take the pink kitchen – and the whole house really with the exception of some of the wallpaper – just like it is and absolutely love it! If I had the funds, I would buy it in a heartbeat! The location and views are wonderful…… :-)

Barbara September 16, 2011 at 7:16 am

It’s a little too frilly for me…..the wallpaper, curtains and way too much “stuff”
made me a little dizzy. Kinda looks like a Shabby Chic store. But, many things were
really nice especially the Depression Glass.

Jenn September 16, 2011 at 7:45 am

Love it! Unabashedly girlie in every respect! I love the “go big or go home” aspect to Kirstie’s decorating style. The “vintage” appliances in the kitchen are awesome!

A.Men September 16, 2011 at 8:06 am

Love it! Everything!

Luciane at Homebunch.com September 16, 2011 at 8:07 am

I think it’s so cute! It’s a place when you embrace your “little girls dream”. Super cute!

Have a great weekend!
xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

PS: I’m mentioning you on my post today. I know you’ll remember that house! :-)

Kelly D September 16, 2011 at 8:14 am

I love it! I remember a few years ago watching something on TV when she had her kitchen remodeled by Nate Berkus. It’s always been one of my favorite kitchens. She has beautiful tastes.

Chrissy @ Fireflies and Hummingbirds September 16, 2011 at 8:14 am

Even if you hadn’t told me, it would make complete sense that this house belongs to Kirstie Alley! It just looks like her!

Stephanie Durdan September 16, 2011 at 8:30 am

I’d love it like it is…for awhile. Then, I’d have to make some changes. :-)

Farmeress September 16, 2011 at 8:38 am

Cozy and a place for the brain to rest and feel the change of scenery and location. Love some of the bold ceiling treatment which brought smiles.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints September 16, 2011 at 8:57 am

Hatin’ on the house. It’s just a little too much like a doll house. Always have been a Kirstie Alley fan though. I had NO idea she lost all that weight. My mouth hung open for a good 30 seconds!!! WOWZA:)

Patience September 16, 2011 at 9:09 am

It’s not really my style, but I do like pink and fun color combinations. If I were rich enough to buy that house, I’d be rich enough to own a second residence decorated in a more restrained style. In fantasy land, it would be fun to own this house as is to stay in when you want to indulge your girly side.

BTW, she looks incredible in that picture.

J. Elizabeth September 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

As I was trying to think of words to describe this, I kept coming up w/ things like “yummy”, “appetizing”, “scrumptious”–all food words. That kitchen is a siren’s song of cupcakes, parfaits, and dimity. Love the pink. Love the airiness. It’s such a cheerful house–a place that’s good for your soul. And the ceilings are awesome. The only miss for me was too much pattern in the green bedroom–and I’m a MacKenzie-Childs/Mary Engelbreit fan, so that’s saying a lot. Maybe Kirstie’s place in LA is all hard-edge, modern, and Zen-ny and it took away her appetite. She looks unbelievable now.

Beverly Palmer September 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

I think she did an amazing job for her style. It’s absolutely beautiful even though it’s too girly and frilly for me. The bones of the house are incredible and I love the high ceilings.

jeannine520 September 16, 2011 at 9:28 am

Good for her on her weight loss! I’m sure she feels great. I’m not too fond of that style of decorating, it’s too fussy and girly for my tastes so yes, I’d need to redo it. The house itself seems nice though.

laurie September 16, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hey, it’s all about the location and I love the location! If I HAD to……I could break out a paintbrush and make it more to my taste (wink).

Janie September 16, 2011 at 10:22 am

It absolutely looks like a doll house….

She has a great sense of style. And she looks great again…

Not sure I would keep it that way..I am too outdoorsy…I’d be afraid to touch anything but the house itself and the spot it is in…Love it!

katy September 16, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love it — she’s eccentric all right, but in a good way. :)

Janna September 16, 2011 at 10:46 am

Kirstie Alley was an interior decorator before she became an actress.

The Texas Peach September 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

Kirstie Alley is looking great these days! This house is a little too shabby chic for my taste, but you’re right, all it would take is a little paint here and there to change that. I love that shade of pink, but I’d rather have it in my bedroom instead of my kitchen. It is a bummer that they tore down Mickey and Minnie’s house at Disney World. I thought that they were really neat when we went a few years ago.

Maddie September 16, 2011 at 10:53 am

Good for her! She looks great and she decorated a house to suite her style. The pink is enough to give me diabetes, but I am so sick of the neutral gray, gray and more gray. You are right. A little paint, change some light fixtures, your own furniture and it would be a perfect beach cottage (I’m talkin’ a rather large Newport style cottage). But I wouldn’t turn it down.

Cindy September 16, 2011 at 11:37 am

I *LOVE* it! Love love love it! But…I don’t think my husband would feel very comfortable living in something that in-your-face-feminine.

The good thing is this house has great bones! It wouldn’t take much at all to tone down the ultra-feminine vibe without losing the cottage charm.

Great house!

Lindab September 16, 2011 at 11:54 am

It is a little too “sit down and have a marshmallow” for me, but boy do I love the layout. I love the ceiling in the living room.

Kelly September 16, 2011 at 11:55 am

Love the house but the decor was so sweet I needed a shot of insulin to lower the blood sugar.

Kim September 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’m not a fan of the wallpaper, but that could easily be changed. Other than that, I love this cottage. Especially those high ceilings and exposed beams. This cottage would be a great place for me to sit back and relax. Plus those views are amazing.

Arie September 16, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Love the house. I could make most of it work, but there are some things a bit too girly for me and would have to be moved.

Ricki Jill Treleaven September 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I love the house, and I wish I could afford it! :D Great post, Julia.

Monique September 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I’ve always loved her..and her home.
I could move in..in a flash..if my family lived close and I had 2 Million dollars.. hoping she is negotiable:)

It’s so pretty and the views are just great.
It’s got her stamp everywhere.

Mary September 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Wow! very pink and frilly!! But a wonderful house in a fantastic setting – I could live there in a heartbeat (would have to paint the kitchen though!)
Mary

melissa September 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I love it. I would move right in and live happily ever after :-)

Staffy September 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Ugh…… nice house, shame about the overwhelming tack enveloping the place!

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries September 16, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I LOVE this house. Especially the pink kitchen with those darling scalloped shelves! I couldn’t live in it 24/7, but what a great place to rent for a girls weekend, right? I love Kirstie, she looks fabulous and I think has great decorating taste. Or at least great taste in hiring the right decorators! :)

Mom in High Heels September 17, 2011 at 1:49 am

OMG, that house is my pink girly dream. I would happily live in it as is (if she left the furniture). Now James Bond, Indy (and probably Han Solo, once he’s old enough to have an opinion) would hate it with the heat of a thousand suns. We’d have to repaint to make it more coastal to satisfy them, but I think I need it as a private retreat just for me! Think I could talk James Bond into that? :)

And I can’t believe they took down Mickey and Minnie’s houses. Sadness. Do you know what they put in their place?

hookedonhouses September 17, 2011 at 8:04 am

They wanted to focus on more “princess” types of attractions, according to one worker I talked to when we were there last year. At the time he said they were just relocating the houses, but readers who went this summer say they are no longer there.

Joy September 17, 2011 at 2:23 am

I would like it just like it is… soooo cute.

Annie@A View on Design September 17, 2011 at 3:39 am

is she living with a bloke there???? my DH would freak out if decorated like that – lol

hookedonhouses September 17, 2011 at 7:58 am

No, she’s single (last I heard, anyway!) and her kids are grown, so she didn’t have to share her girly beach house with anyone else.

Elvira September 17, 2011 at 10:07 am

The house has great bones and the location is superb, I love it. The decoration has too many “skirts” and too many pastel colours for my taste, it’s like a bakery or a candy store. Julia, your comment on having a craving for cupcakes in the pink kitchen was spot on, I felt the same! I would tone the decoration down a few notches and it would be perfect.

Kristie is looking great now with her new figure. Good for her for losing all that weight!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... September 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

OMG it’s so pretty and feminine. I love it.

Maria September 17, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Love it. She’s had this place for awhile so think it must’ve been done when Shabby Chic was all the rage. Easy and inexpensive fixes to update it.

Jessica September 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I love it! I wouldn’t change much. Maybe tone the pattern down just a bit. I especially love the kitchen and bathroom in the photos.
People are always so opinioned about others’ decorating tastes. It can be hurtful, I know. I’ve had people insinuate that my house is too pink or girly (pink is actually only an accent color used in a lot of our house. Ha) and still others have accused it of being too neutral in color. Ha You can’t please everyone, so people just have to decorate for themselves and their family’s enjoyment. :-)

Donna @ Cooking + Praying September 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Wow–I’m surprised so many people love the uber-girly thing. Looks like it’s a great house in a beautiful location but the decor would give me nightmares, complete with elephants in pink tutus and demented sugar plum fairies.

Mary in TN September 18, 2011 at 6:40 am

I love her house. It’s nice when you have the money to spend on the things you love. And she looks like Denise Richards in that pic. She’s done a wonderful job of reinventing herself and I am so happy for her.

Jill McNeal September 18, 2011 at 7:33 am

I love it! If I had the money~ it would be mine! I would love the privacy so my dogs could just roam around… :)

Janice Mahon September 18, 2011 at 10:42 am

I read somewhere several years ago that Kirstie puts all her money into real estate. Probably not a good idea today, but this house is beautiful.

Kirstie is a girly girl and it shows. I kind of like the pink, it is warm and inviting.

And she looks great, she’s 60 years young, and has a winning personality. Go Kirstie!

JW September 18, 2011 at 2:31 pm

This house would be perfect just as it is for many people. Those who want to change it drastically should probably look at some other type of property/

Nita September 19, 2011 at 1:18 am

Her house is tres feminine like she is. It’s cute. She looks wonderful, but it’s easy to get a girlish figure back when you lose that much weight if you have never had a baby.

Mia September 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Lovely house and location, but I would have to strip it and redo it before I could step foot in it!

About the Minnie house…it’s gone, and so is Toontown…they are putting in castles for each of the Princesses at that location. Belle’s castle, of Beauty and the Beast, is going to have a fab restaurant…and as I recall, Ariel’s castle is going to have a ride in it. You can check the progress online at various websites. It looks like it’s going to be lots of fun!

Lauren September 23, 2011 at 11:21 am

I love it, very girly! Might be a little too girly to convince my hubby to move though ;)

Amanda November 10, 2011 at 6:07 am

The house is gorgeous! It may not be decorated to every ones taste, but what’s the point of having a home if you can’t style it to suit you!

Virginia December 13, 2011 at 12:42 am

I have gotten lost in your site, because I too am hooked on houses. This home is charming.

Monica December 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

She must have had the same decorator as the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island! Wow! the color and busyness! Fun though.

kylie December 29, 2011 at 2:13 am

Ms Allie you are one truly blessed lady, this home is adorable, I can only dream :)

Joyce Michelin January 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Well cute is certainly the right word for it. Unfortunately, it’s so sweet it makes my teeth hurt.

Jane February 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Gotta agree with Joyce and others. A bit too cute for me but would love being a guest there. I’m not one for painted and frilly floral chandeliers. The whole house screams “girl’s bedroom” to me. But hey…more power to Kirstie for knowing what she wants and anyone who wants the house should be able to realize wallpapered and painted rooms can easily be fixed.

The location and privacy ave to be MAJOR selling points.

Rebecca March 1, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Just stopping by from pinterest. Oh my, I think I could totally get hooked on this site. Off to read more…

Mikey April 1, 2012 at 11:07 pm

It wouldn’t take much at all to redecorate her house. Now, Christina Aguilera’s on the other hand…
I see a 37 acre island with home, in Maine, on Realtor.com for 12 mil. An amazing property. Ah, what a life…

Becky October 6, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Love, love, love Kirsties home! Very romantic!

Olga June 13, 2013 at 4:42 am