Mark Zuckerberg Buys a House and More Real Estate News

by hookedonhouses on May 20, 2011

Mark Zuckerberg is a Renter No More (love his front porch): CasaSugar.

13 Things That Lower Your Home’s Value: MSN Real Estate.

An Easy Way to Design Your Own Headboard: Heady Bed.

“Celebrity Apprentice” Finalist Marlee Matlin Selling House to Pay IRS: Zillow.

Small House Plans to Dream Over: The Plan Collection.

Maru Dining Tables, Repurposed from Century-Old Houses: Greentea Design.

Interview with Candice Olson Reveals Her Favorite Wall Color: Wash Post.

One of the Top Searches on My Blog Every Week: “Candice Olson’s Husband.”

Small Bathroom Remodeling Ideas to Inspire You: CalFinder.

P.S. Thanks to my sponsors who keep my blog running, and thanks to my readers for visiting them! Without my sponsors, I couldn’t afford things like this big new server my blog is running on. :-)

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady May 20, 2011 at 6:57 am

Ah, nice front porch indeed! I’m at work, so I can’t look right now, but I’m definitely going to check them out tonight. Thanks Julia! And have a gorgeous weekend :D

Jenny Allworthy May 20, 2011 at 7:09 am

Mark Zuckerberg finally commits to a house! It seems very homey but those are humongous light fixtures over the dining room table. Whoa!

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 20, 2011 at 7:47 am

The “13 Things” article is on my to-read list for today!! :) Thanks for sharing some good weekend reads, Julia. I Featured your Beach Cottage tour this morning…you always have something interesting going on here. :)

ashley @ the handmade home May 20, 2011 at 8:18 am

HAHA what a weird search! Ever since I saw “The Social Network” I’m kind of obsessed with Mark Z. Gonna have to check it out! ;)

Luciane at Homebunch.com May 20, 2011 at 8:25 am

I love Mark’s new house also! I admire this guys… seriously.

Great links today!

Enjoy your weekend! I can’t wait to enjoy a sunny weekend with my kids! :-)

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Janelle May 20, 2011 at 8:55 am

I haven’t been watching this season of Celebrity Apprentice at all. I love Marlee Matlin, but there have been too many other contestants that I can’t stand this time around. Thanks for linking to that article about her — it makes me like her even more. The pictures of her house are amazing. They’re completely normal. You wouldn’t know that a celebrity lives there. It’s very real, which is refreshing. Her attitude is also exemplary. Hats off to Marlee!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints May 20, 2011 at 9:21 am

happy weekend to ya julia. love that kitchen…i mean LOVE!

Sarah May 20, 2011 at 9:52 am

Candice’s pick for wall color is what I have in my entire house!

I knew I was born to be a design star ;)

Millie May 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm

If you have watched Candice on any kind of semi-regular basis, it was easy to guess her favorite (wall) (all) color…only I always referred to it as “steel blue”.

Sarah May 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

And Mark’s house just brought tears to my eyes, it is so gorgeous. I think just looking at it lowered my blood pressure.

Karena May 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

My favorite post of the week is always your links Julia! Over to Marks right now!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come and enter my New Giveaway from Serena & Lily! You will love it!

Erin May 20, 2011 at 11:08 am

I LOVE that home Mark Zuckerberg purchased. Seriously, give me a few million dollars and I would buy it and spend all my days on the porch! Really, considering his net worth, it is refreshing to see he has purchased a beautiful, but relatively “modest” home (its location is a big factor in the price tag, obviously), and I mean modest by the standards of most million/billionaires of course. I think we are all so used to seeing the “blinged-out” 15,000 square foot McMansions on CRIBS, so this was an unexpected and refreshing surprise! Also, I’m loving that Marlee Matlin’s house was also so normal. If it were anywhere but pricey Pasadena, that would be a 200k house! Thanks for sharing!

Millie May 20, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I beg to differ with your estimation of the price…I agree that most places it would be a lot less, but still a million or close. $200,000???!!! You must live in Detroit.

Millie May 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm

OOPs! Just realized you were talking about Marlee’s house….thought you meant Mark’s.

nanne May 20, 2011 at 11:21 am

love zuckerberg’s house—that might be my dream lake house kind of kitchen. thanks julia!

nanne in columbus, indiana

Kathy :) May 20, 2011 at 11:41 am

Love his house….and I so agree that PORCH <3 it !!!

Oh I am so sad for Marlee……

Kathy :)

Handy Man, Crafty Woman May 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love Candace Olsen, but I haven’t seen her show on HGTV for ages, I miss her! Where did she go? All I see are those dreaded real estate shows that you know I hate! ;-)

Maui vacation rentals May 20, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Really good links today, the list of things that can hurt your home’s value was really interesting. Some of them are out of my hands but there were a few I could attend to.

The Texas Peach May 20, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I like the kitchen ceiling in Zuckerberg’s house, but I really hate the color of the cabinets. Love all of the windows and porch. Candice Olsen is my favorite designer on HGTV. Her rooms always look fantastic.

Heather May 20, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Wow, Marlee Matlin’s house looks remarkably…normal.

Millie May 20, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Marlee’s house is cute, and surprisingly, I don’t feel like it is so expensive (for Pasadena). A house like that in my small, relatively affordable midwest town would still go for around $300,000 plus.

Christina May 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Your facebook site is the best one I have out of all of them. I enjoy reading it on a weekly basis..You have the best photos of these incredible homes with such great information…Were you in real estate sales for a while before this? I’m very impressed with this.. how do you get such great photos and information on these beautiful homes.. plus some of the comical ones like the one from Fl that was just awful… lol!! That was funny.. I think there was a bra hanging on the ceiling fan or something of that nature.. These photo’s are always so much fun!!! Keep up the fantastic work..

hookedonhouses May 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Thanks, Christina! That’s nice to hear. We do have a lot of fun on the Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hooked-on-Houses/55680190818). I post a lot of things there that I don’t have the time or space to mention here.

I don’t have any real estate experience. I’ve been a writer since college and have worked on projects that require a lot of research (like textbooks and magazine articles), so I’m pretty good at tracking things down. A lot of great things are sent to me by readers, too, which makes my job a lot easier! -Julia :-)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... May 20, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Nice place.

Poor Marlee!

Lilia@Intrigue and Inspire May 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Thanks for the link to Mark Z.’s house. How surprising to see that green kitchen. I truly admire that he doesn’t have to buy the biggest and the best. He really knows who he is and doesn’t care what others think. I’m curious to how he’ll decorate it. Will it eventually look like a dormitory room?!

Patience May 22, 2011 at 10:04 am

I don’t agree with that MSN article’s claim that a clothesline can lower your house’s value. To me, a neighborhood with laundry drying on the line in the backyards looks friendly and homey. A clothesline speaks of thrift and care for the environment. There’s no need to hang underwear on an outdoor clothesline. That’s what indoor drying racks are for! There are loads of clotheslines in my neighborhood and no visible panties.