Cary Grant’s Former Home in Palm Springs For Sale

by hookedonhouses on May 12, 2011

Okay, so I have what could be called a small obsession with Cary Grant. He’s one of my all-time favorite movie stars, and when I’m having a bad day, there’s nothing like watching one of his comedies to cheer me up. So when I saw that his former home in Palm Springs, California, was on the market, I had to check it out!

It’s a 1927 Spanish house that sits on 1.54 acres and was Grant’s Hollywood hideaway for 20 years. The asking price for this piece of movie-star history is $2.9 million.

The Great Room features a 40-ft vaulted ceiling:

I have certain Cary Grant comedies I watch over and over again and they always make me laugh. I especially love His Girl Friday with Rosalind Russell and My Favorite Wife with Irene Dunne (the country house in MFW is one of my favorites!).

The Guest Wing was designed by Wallace Neff, who was also responsible for Reese Witherspoon’s country house in Ojai and Amanda’s house in The Holiday, among many others.

The house doesn’t look very big, but there are 6 bedrooms, 5.5 baths, and 5 fireplaces. I’m loving the green tile in this bathroom:

I have to say I expected something more formal and movie-star like for one of Cary Grant’s houses but was pleasantly surprised by how warm and comfortable it looks. I mean, I know the furnishings weren’t his, but the house itself looks down to earth and homey to me.

Another great feature of the house are these gorgeous blue shutters:

Cary Grant’s daughter Jennifer Grant (whose mother is Dyan Cannon), has written a new memoir about her famously private dad, called Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant. He retired from acting at the age of 62 to focus on being a father and spent the final 20 years of his life doing just that.

For more photos and information about his former home, check Zillow for both an article about it and the listing.

Any other Cary Grant fans out there? Check out the houses from:

Click Here to See More Famous Houses!

Luciane at Homebunch.com May 12, 2011 at 7:08 am

Wow! So much charm and the price is right!

Love how welcoming it feels. Great find, Julia.

Have a Blessed day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Yvonne May 12, 2011 at 7:09 am

I want that house! In a different location, besides the bathroom I wouldn’t change a thing.

Where do I get 2.9 million from?

yvonne

Barbara May 12, 2011 at 7:17 am

I think they could have staged the house differently. It’s way too busy with colors and patterns. The bathroom is awful. I don’t like those steps.

Belinda July 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Oh I love the bathroom! I would give anything to have that tile in my home today. I love the patterns all throughout the house as well. Funny how we all have different tastes and views on things. Thanks Julia for the find. I enjoyed it so much.

Tiffany May 12, 2011 at 7:19 am

I love Cary Grant. That house looks so comfortable. My 8 year old daughter said it reminds her of the house in the original Parent Trap movie. My favorite Cary Grant movies are Charade with Audrey Hepburn and Walk, Don’t Run, which I think may have been his last movie.

Mel Mel May 12, 2011 at 7:20 am

Oh, what a beautiful home! I could very easily move right in. Cary Grant is one of my favorites too! I love Charade with Audrey Hepburn and him – they had such great chemistry. :)

Jane May 12, 2011 at 7:30 am

My favorite Cary Grant movies are the ones he made with Irene Dunn; My Favorite Wife, The Awful Truth and Penny Serenade. I can imagine Cary in this house. It’s rustic like the cottage at the end of My Favorite Wife. Love that house. Great antiques like the tiger maple four poster bed.

tinagleisner May 12, 2011 at 7:35 am

Love your commentary & more fun that the Zillow site.

Danielle May 12, 2011 at 8:07 am

I love this house. It looks so cozy.

Andhika Bayu Dewantara May 12, 2011 at 8:14 am

:) i like this house….

Alex May 12, 2011 at 8:27 am

I love Cary Grant, and ‘His Girl Friday’ is one of my all time favourite films. And I’m pleasantly surprised by his house too, looks like a normal (y’know, for a movie star) family home.

Bella Michelle May 12, 2011 at 8:50 am

I just love to “tour” with you! Your posts are always sure to bring a smile to this house lovers heart! Have a super Thursday!

etta May 12, 2011 at 9:00 am

It’s a beautiful house! I don’t like the wild west interiors, but I love the architecture!
The exterior is stunning!
kisses
ETta

Cheri @ I Heart Old Houses May 12, 2011 at 9:11 am

Love this house – and Cary Grant! I think ‘His Girl Friday’ and ‘Bringing Up Baby’ are my favorites.

You could say the previous owners went a little overboard with their love of Southwest decor (looks like they also must have loved dalmatians), but it suits the home’s era. And I agree, that green tile is awesome. Once the furniture was moved out, I don’t think I’d change a thing!

lindsay May 12, 2011 at 9:46 am

This house looks like such a classic…so relaxing and welcoming!

Thanks for sharing!
Lindsay

Nicole Mulvany May 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

I think you and I were seperated at birth. I love Cary Grant! I think he is one of my favorite movie stars. The true “Hollywood Star” was Cary Grant. Now movie stars are lacking that sophistication.

I love this house. It is so simply decorated but still packs a punch. This is how decorating should be! It doesn’t take potted plants, photos, and quoted signs hanging on walls to make a statement.

The outside of the house reminds me of a house that was from a movie he was in……I have to remember which one!

Alison May 12, 2011 at 10:31 am

beautiful…love cary grant too…who couldn’t? he was gorgeous, funny and so talented…that house is the perfect blend of old and new…thanks for sharing!

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady May 12, 2011 at 11:41 am

I don’t like the furniture – way too old fashioned – but the house itself is beautiful.

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 12, 2011 at 11:44 am

I read an interview with Cary Grant’s daughter, and it seems like he was a great great dad and person. :) I love the “bones” of his home. Southwestern decor isn’t my thing, but they made it lovely!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints May 12, 2011 at 11:49 am

i adore palm springs. i can see myself padding around that house. love it! his daughter is gorgeous…wowza!

Mary May 12, 2011 at 11:53 am

What a beautiful house, I would love to live there! Cary Grant was just the best, I still love his movies
Mary

Spring May 12, 2011 at 11:58 am

I adore Cary Grant and I love that house. I never would have guessed what the inside looks like from the first picture either.

I have an awesome studio picture of Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn and the leopard from Bringing Up Baby courtesy of a friend whose aunt was the leopard’s trainer. How do you get a job like that*? Where do you even get a leopard?

Anyway, it’s one of my treasures. :)

* Actually my dream job is to be a food critic. Getting paid? Yes, please!

threadbndr May 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm

LOVE the bathroom, those art deco baths are so beautiful and so different from the ‘so blah spa’ look that’s popular now.

cbean May 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Love the approach to the swimming pool..totally welcoming and relaxing.

If that’s a picture of his daughter, she got the best of both parents. Beautiful woman.

Pamela May 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Cary Grant is my absolute favorite!!!! I’ll forever be madly in love with him. No one will ever have that debonaire air about them like he did. Thanks so much for feeding my obsession with this post on his house!!!!

Susan F. May 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Wonder what the kitchen looks like?

cherylk May 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I think it’s terrific just the way it is…wouldn’t change a thing. And now you have me heading for my Netflix account to add to my queue…yay!

The Little Red Shop May 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Ahhh….love him! I agree with the down-to-earth comfy comments about his house…and certainly wouldn’t mind redecorating it! “Charade,” “Walk Don’t Run,” and “Father Goose” are three of my Cary Grant favorites.

Thank you for sharing this! Oh…and I love the cobblestone breezeway!

: )

Julie M.

shabbychick May 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm

WOW, SWOON! This house could be so old hollywood in no time (not a fan of SW decor). I would buy at this price, too! ;)

Kim May 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love Cary Grant’s movies. Some of my favorites are: “Houseboat”, “That Touch of Mink”, “Charade”, and more. I especially love in “That Touch of Mink”, when Doris Day’s character got to try on any dresses that she wanted. Oh how I wish I could go back in time just so I could try on some their outfits.

Cary Grant was asked to play James Bond, but he declined. Just think how awesome it would have been to see him play that character? He would played that part perfectly. Oh well, we have the other James Bonds to watch.

What a great house. Looking at the outside, you wouldn’t think it would be this warm and cozy inside. That’s why I love it. This house would make a great vacation home.

The English Organizer May 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Etta took the words out of my mouth – I’m not sure about the interior style, but I love the basic bones of the place.

shelly joseph May 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Pillow Talk has always been one of my favorties.. This house looks like him.. charming and relaxed.. He had this flair that was never unaproachable..

Becky May 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I love homes like these, so warm and inviting.

claudia May 12, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Hello,

Love this post. The house is beautiful! Looks so warm and comfortable. The outside is quaint too. It reminds me a little bit of the house in It’s Complicated.
Love the blue shutters too. We enjoy watching his movies too!! How fun!

Thank you for sharing.
Claudia

StuccoHouse May 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

To Catch a Thief. Best. Movie. Ever.

Oh, and I also love that bathroom!

Holley May 13, 2011 at 5:30 am

Gosh, no love for Philadelphia Story or I was a Male War Bride? Count me in among the Cary Grant fans.

I adore the house. I was just thinking that if you must have a great room, it should be as cozy and comfortable as this one. Lovely house.

BungalowBILL May 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Great house and the Spanish Revival furniture is just right for it. It gives it a real Molesworth feel. Finally I see someone has nearly as many vintage California tile top tables as I do.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... May 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Wow. I would love to own his house. I’m off to learn more about this book.

Penelope Bianchi May 14, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Love this house! My friend Jane Cowles Smith is the one who did it; and is selling it!

You have fabulous taste in houses!!

Penelope

E. George May 14, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Hi Julia – LOVE the MAN LOVE his MOVIES LOVE this Home the bathroom to die for and everything else…. I’m sure he is missed by his family and all of us…. Thanks for this wonderful blog you have made my day. Regards Esther from Sydney (its getting colder brrrr)

pamela May 14, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Ah yes, I have a Grant obsession, too.
There’s never been anyone better!!

le@thirdontheright May 15, 2011 at 12:24 am

loving taht bathroom – just fabbo !! le xox

le@thirdontheright May 15, 2011 at 12:25 am

loing that book nook – too sweet ! le xox

Patience May 15, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Huge Cary Grant fan here. Surely you have seen Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House, with Myrna Loy. If not, you must watch it now. I love that tunneled entrance and, even though they might seem dated, the green tile in the bathroom.

hookedonhouses May 15, 2011 at 7:12 pm

One of my favorites! You can see the post I wrote about it here:

Judy May 16, 2011 at 12:43 am

Stunning house. Has a very warm and loving feel to it. Jennifer Grant is very pretty; obviously carrying the best genes of both her parents

premiere reviews May 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I just did a post on my favorite Cary Grant movies and fell upon you site! This post is brilliant!

mary January 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Love houses

Nancy Hopper September 9, 2012 at 11:33 pm

This is a beautiful home, however I would have expected Cary Grant to have a bit more of an extravagant taste when is comes houses. He has been one of my favorite stars for 60 years.

{ 2 trackbacks }