Cary Grant’s Former Home in Palm Springs For Sale

Cary Grant's Former Home in Palm Springs |

I have what could be called a little obsession with Cary Grant. He’s one of my all-time favorite movie stars, and when I’m having a bad day, there’s nothing like watching one of his comedies to cheer me up. So when I saw that his former home in Palm Springs, California, was on the market, I had to check it out!

It’s a 1927 Spanish house that sits on 1.54 acres and was Grant’s Hollywood hideaway for 20 years. The asking price for this piece of movie-star history is $2.9 million.

The Great Room features a 40-ft vaulted ceiling:

Cary Grant’s daughter Jennifer Grant (whose mother is Dyan Cannon), wrote a memoir about her famously private dad, called Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant. He retired from acting at the age of 62 to focus on being a father and spent the final 20 years of his life doing just that.

Cary Grant and Jennifer Grant-new book

If you read Rob Lowe’s memoir, he has a great story in it about going to pick up Jennifer for a date. Can you imagine knocking on the door and having Cary Grant answer in his bathrobe?

Cary Grant's former home in Palm Springs

The Guest Wing was designed by Wallace Neff, who was also responsible for Reese Witherspoon’s country house in Ojai and Amanda’s house in The Holiday, among others.

The house doesn’t look very big, but there are 6 bedrooms, 5.5 baths, and 5 fireplaces. I’m loving the vintage green tile in this bathroom:

I was pleasantly surprised by how warm and comfortable it looks. For more photos and information, check Zillow.

P.S. If you’re a Cary Grant fan, check out the houses I’ve featured from…

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

North by Northwest Hitchcock movie Vandamm house

North by Northwest

Bringing Up Baby-Susan's house

Bringing Up Baby

4 21 2011 B Show - Rob Lowe
Did you happen to see Rob Lowe on "Oprah" last week, talking about his new autobiography, The Stories I Only Tell My Friends? I tuned…
Nate Berkus and his dogs in Elle Decor
Oprah-approved designer and fledgling talk show host Nate Berkus is selling his 3-bedroom condo in the historic Chicago Gold Coast neighborhood for $2.39 million (it…

I want that house! In a different location, besides the bathroom I wouldn’t change a thing.

Where do I get 2.9 million from?

2. Barbara says

I think they could have staged the house differently. It’s way too busy with colors and patterns. The bathroom is awful. I don’t like those steps.

• Belinda says

Oh I love the bathroom! I would give anything to have that tile in my home today. I love the patterns all throughout the house as well. Funny how we all have different tastes and views on things. Thanks Julia for the find. I enjoyed it so much.

I love Cary Grant. That house looks so comfortable. My 8 year old daughter said it reminds her of the house in the original Parent Trap movie. My favorite Cary Grant movies are Charade with Audrey Hepburn and Walk, Don’t Run, which I think may have been his last movie.

Oh, what a beautiful home! I could very easily move right in. Cary Grant is one of my favorites too! I love Charade with Audrey Hepburn and him – they had such great chemistry. :)

5. Jane says

My favorite Cary Grant movies are the ones he made with Irene Dunn; My Favorite Wife, The Awful Truth and Penny Serenade. I can imagine Cary in this house. It’s rustic like the cottage at the end of My Favorite Wife. Love that house. Great antiques like the tiger maple four poster bed.

I love Cary Grant, and ‘His Girl Friday’ is one of my all time favourite films. And I’m pleasantly surprised by his house too, looks like a normal (y’know, for a movie star) family home.

I just love to “tour” with you! Your posts are always sure to bring a smile to this house lovers heart! Have a super Thursday!

It’s a beautiful house! I don’t like the wild west interiors, but I love the architecture!
    The exterior is stunning!

Love this house – and Cary Grant! I think ‘His Girl Friday’ and ‘Bringing Up Baby’ are my favorites.

You could say the previous owners went a little overboard with their love of Southwest decor (looks like they also must have loved dalmatians), but it suits the home’s era. And I agree, that green tile is awesome. Once the furniture was moved out, I don’t think I’d change a thing!

This house looks like such a classic…so relaxing and welcoming!

Thanks for sharing!

I think you and I were seperated at birth. I love Cary Grant! I think he is one of my favorite movie stars. The true “Hollywood Star” was Cary Grant. Now movie stars are lacking that sophistication.

I love this house. It is so simply decorated but still packs a punch. This is how decorating should be! It doesn’t take potted plants, photos, and quoted signs hanging on walls to make a statement.

The outside of the house reminds me of a house that was from a movie he was in……I have to remember which one!

beautiful…love cary grant too…who couldn’t? he was gorgeous, funny and so talented…that house is the perfect blend of old and new…thanks for sharing!

I read an interview with Cary Grant’s daughter, and it seems like he was a great great dad and person. :) I love the “bones” of his home. Southwestern decor isn’t my thing, but they made it lovely!

What a beautiful house, I would love to live there! Cary Grant was just the best, I still love his movies

I adore Cary Grant and I love that house. I never would have guessed what the inside looks like from the first picture either.

I have an awesome studio picture of Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn and the leopard from Bringing Up Baby courtesy of a friend whose aunt was the leopard’s trainer. How do you get a job like that*? Where do you even get a leopard?

Anyway, it’s one of my treasures. :)

* Actually my dream job is to be a food critic. Getting paid? Yes, please!

16. threadbndr says

LOVE the bathroom, those art deco baths are so beautiful and so different from the ‘so blah spa’ look that’s popular now.

17. cbean says

Love the approach to the swimming pool..totally welcoming and relaxing.

If that’s a picture of his daughter, she got the best of both parents. Beautiful woman.

Cary Grant is my absolute favorite!!!! I’ll forever be madly in love with him. No one will ever have that debonaire air about them like he did. Thanks so much for feeding my obsession with this post on his house!!!!

I think it’s terrific just the way it is…wouldn’t change a thing. And now you have me heading for my Netflix account to add to my queue…yay!

Ahhh….love him! I agree with the down-to-earth comfy comments about his house…and certainly wouldn’t mind redecorating it! “Charade,” “Walk Don’t Run,” and “Father Goose” are three of my Cary Grant favorites.

Thank you for sharing this! Oh…and I love the cobblestone breezeway!

: )

Julie M.

21. shabbychick says

WOW, SWOON! This house could be so old hollywood in no time (not a fan of SW decor). I would buy at this price, too! 😉

22. Kim says

I love Cary Grant’s movies. Some of my favorites are: “Houseboat”, “That Touch of Mink”, “Charade”, and more. I especially love in “That Touch of Mink”, when Doris Day’s character got to try on any dresses that she wanted. Oh how I wish I could go back in time just so I could try on some their outfits.

Cary Grant was asked to play James Bond, but he declined. Just think how awesome it would have been to see him play that character? He would played that part perfectly. Oh well, we have the other James Bonds to watch.

What a great house. Looking at the outside, you wouldn’t think it would be this warm and cozy inside. That’s why I love it. This house would make a great vacation home.

23. shelly joseph says

Pillow Talk has always been one of my favorties.. This house looks like him.. charming and relaxed.. He had this flair that was never unaproachable..

Love this post. The house is beautiful! Looks so warm and comfortable. The outside is quaint too. It reminds me a little bit of the house in It’s Complicated.
    Love the blue shutters too. We enjoy watching his movies too!! How fun!

Thank you for sharing.

Gosh, no love for Philadelphia Story or I was a Male War Bride? Count me in among the Cary Grant fans.

I adore the house. I was just thinking that if you must have a great room, it should be as cozy and comfortable as this one. Lovely house.

Great house and the Spanish Revival furniture is just right for it. It gives it a real Molesworth feel. Finally I see someone has nearly as many vintage California tile top tables as I do.

Love this house! My friend Jane Cowles Smith is the one who did it; and is selling it!

You have fabulous taste in houses!!

28. E. George says

Hi Julia – LOVE the MAN LOVE his MOVIES LOVE this Home the bathroom to die for and everything else…. I’m sure he is missed by his family and all of us…. Thanks for this wonderful blog you have made my day. Regards Esther from Sydney (its getting colder brrrr)

Huge Cary Grant fan here. Surely you have seen Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House, with Myrna Loy. If not, you must watch it now. I love that tunneled entrance and, even though they might seem dated, the green tile in the bathroom.

Stunning house. Has a very warm and loving feel to it. Jennifer Grant is very pretty; obviously carrying the best genes of both her parents

31. Nancy Hopper says

This is a beautiful home, however I would have expected Cary Grant to have a bit more of an extravagant taste when is comes houses. He has been one of my favorite stars for 60 years.