Tori Spelling & Dean McDermott’s House For Sale

Tori Spelling has been busy. This week she announced that she and husband Dean McDermott are expecting their third child in the fall. Their new show “Tori & Dean: Storibook Weddings” premiered on Oxygen earlier this month. And they just put their house on the market in Encino.

The 6-bedroom, 6.5 bath Tuscan-style home, which we saw a lot of on their popular reality show “Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood,” is listed at $3,199,000. They reportedly bought the property in 2008 for $2,945,000.

Does anyone else have the urge to pull this sofa up closer to the fireplace?

Tori Spelling was raised in one of the biggest houses in the world (Spelling Manor) in a famous family, but when her father Aaron Spelling died, she reportedly got less than $1 million of his $500 million estate.

But this girl knows how to work. She rolled up her sleeves and made her own money. She writes bestselling books, decorates and renovates houses, acts, creates her own reality-TV shows like “Home Sweet Hollywood,” and is now a wedding planner on “Storibook Weddings.”

It looks like the chalkboard in the kitchen says, “Tori’s Kitchen,” doesn’t it?

A lot of people search my blog for photos of Tori’s blue bedroom. She had a similar one in their former home and kind of recreated it here. This one’s much bigger, though. (You can see photos of her former home in Westwood, which the couple redecorated from top to bottom, here.)

I wrote about this bright and cheery family room, which Tori gave a makeover, in this before and after post. It used to be pretty dark and masculine. Some of you liked the “before” better, though, as I recall!

For more information, check the listing by Amy Colvin of Hilton & Hyland and Sara Berger of Westside Estates Agency. (Thanks to Holly for telling me about it!)

Want to See More?

Lisa Vanderpump-husband Ken-dog Giggy
"Real Housewives" star Lisa Vanderpump brought some humor and fun to Bravo-TV's popular reality series earlier this year, which revolved around the endless cat-fights among…
4 21 2011 B Show - Rob Lowe
Did you happen to see Rob Lowe on "Oprah" last week, talking about his new autobiography, The Stories I Only Tell My Friends? I tuned…

Comments

has anyone else noticed that Dean’s toenails are painted? I hope it’s some kind of optical illusion. :-\
    Gorgeous house though.

Wow that is like the family room of my dreams! I love it – and I missed all the other posts about her houses so I can’t wait to click through. Swooooon!

3. Kelli says

I love this house! I hope she shows off a new nursery for this little one. And her chalkboard says, “Tori’s kitchen is seasoned with love.”

Julia – just thought I’d let you know that the links to your back posts aren’t working. :( They say this:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 9437184) (tried to allocate 77824 bytes) in /home/hookedo8/public_html/wp-includes/taxonomy.php on line 1858

• hookedonhouses says

My webhost is migrating servers and it is slowing my blog down today. If you’re getting those messages, it may mean that my blog took too long to respond. They’re telling me it should be better by tomorrow (fingers crossed). Sorry for the hassle! -Julia

• says

No problem with the link today, Julia.

I’m glad Tori & Dean have worked on their marriage and are now expecting their third child. Don’t understand why they would want to sell this lovely home, though. With that many bedrooms, even with the new baby, they still have a couple rooms to spare. Wonder what type of house they will buy when they’ve sold this one.

i kind of have a soft spot for Tori. we have the exact same birthday. isn’t that crazy? she was born into hollywood royalty and i was born into a rural illinois farmgirl. HA! life is weird. she DOES need to pull in that sofa. love the blue she chose for her bedroom.

6. Joleen says

The only thing I’m not a fan of is the kitchen floor. Love the floor in the family room though! And I love Tori’s dramatic life style lol, she’s a hoot to watch.

7. Allison says

The “after” living is much better. It’s bright and cheerful and looks like kids are actually allowed to play in it.

She has good taste (which kind of has surprised me.) Her old house had that wall of photos. I am not a person that believes in framing photos and hanging them. They out date a house so fast. People change and it ages your decor. Plus, it’s very hard to hang photos in a way that is attractive……………..
    then Tori did it in her old house on the stairwell and did all the same type of frames, mats, and kept it black and white. It worked really well.
    I admit it I will watch her next show just to see her decor.
    That couch should be closer to the fireplace. :) I would like to rearrange a few pieces if I could.

9. Brenda says

Hi Julia,
    I agree, the couch needs to be pulled away from the wall. I love the family room, though. Great colors. With two kids, can her kitchen really be that tidy? It needs an injection of personality, to go along with her chalkboard.

I love this house!! The backyard is so pretty.
    Just saw Tori and Dean the other night at the Glaad Awards.
    What a nice couple!

I love her and her decorating style. I could have her come do my house and I would be tickled pink about it. I think she is one tough cookie – good for her for making her own way (with a little help from daddy to start) but she’s really done well for herself. I love watching her shows.

12. Megan says

I wish I could do some interior design work with her…that’d be amazing!

13. Kim says

Nice house! Much better than the first one they lived in. I like what they have done with the place, except for I don’t like the curtains in the family room.

I don’t know why Tori Spelling and her husband would want to sell their house. It has plenty of bedrooms and bathrooms. If they do sell their house, it will be interesting to see what their new house looks like.

I LOVE THE blue tufted suede day bed in the living room – is that what it is? It’s cropped in the photo. DREAM piece of furniture!

Yes – if I had a lovely fireplace, I would have the couch close and in front!

thanks for this
    Marta

I love the rug on the floor in the room with the fireplace. And I can just imagine how fabulous it must be to host a party there in the backyard with the pool and those lounge areas! It looks to me like the sign in the kitchen says “Tori’s Kitchen is Seasoned with Love.” :)

I’ve never watched her show, but this is one of my favorite celebrity house interiors. It actually has character! I love the colors, and I even like the wacky pattern in the kitchen floor. If it wasn’t for the kind of blah Tuscan exterior (and, you know, the $3 million) I would totally buy this house!

• hookedonhouses says

Yeah, the $3 million is a sticking point with me, too.

I actually think it looks bright and cheery, and not too overly fancy for children. Some of these celebrity homes look like museums. of course, if one had a staff of housekeepers, it’s easier to keep up with that look.

I also wonder this: why do celebrities move from house to house what seems like every 2 or 3 years? or sometimes every year? I can see if they move from, say, LA to NY for a job or something…but sometimes they are just moving from house to house in the same (LA?) area…I mean, I know LA is huge, but…why do they keep moving all the time? Any thoughts?

• hookedonhouses says

Maybe they’re dodging the paparazzi and overzealous fans by moving all the time? Ha. I think someone else suggested that it could be because Tori wants a new decorating project and fodder for her reality show, so maybe that’s it! :-)

18. Angela says

From looking at the 2008 listing photos, where the sofa IS closer to the fireplace…actually on the rug…I’d hazard a guess & say it was moved back to allow more running room, around the center table, for the kids!! :)

Not my style, but I love the blue on the walls…very chic! And is it just me or is she one skinny girl??? I MEAN SKINNY! Wow.

20. Beth says

Thanks for the photo. A few years ago, a friend lent me Tori Spelling’s book. In the book, she says that she gets asked about growing up in Spelling Manor all the time. At first, she would explain that by the time construction was done on that house, she was around 18 years old, so she didn’t actually grow up there. Now, she doesn’t even bother explaining. She does discuss the house she did grow up in, and how her own bedroom scared her. For every holiday and birthday, she got some expensive doll that her mom wouldn’t let her open, and then displayed the boxed doll on shelves in Tori’s bedroom. Almost every night, she slept in her nanny’s room, because the 100’s of dolls on the walls freaked her out.

I really like her style and she sort of fascinates me, which I’m surprised by! But I’ve never watched the show so I enjoy seeing these photos. Thanks Julia!

22. Julia says

I was so obessed with the bedroom I got the same exact headboard made. It took me 2 yrs to track down the fabric because first I tried to find a cheaper alternative and then when I gave up and was ready to buy they had stopped making it. Anyway now I need recommendations for white shams for a king bed and how to arrange the pillows. 3 euros and 2 kings??

Her house is so gorgeous!! She seems disturbingly thin in the 1st photo, though.

24. Nita says

I love their shows and sorry I missed (how many?) of the new show already since I didn’t know they had changed the name and the idea of it. Does anyone know why she is moving and where? That house is so cute. I suspect she is making money hand over fist and will choose a bigger house in Beverly Hills or Bel Air.

25. Karen says

The chalk board says “This Kitchen Is Seasoned With Love”

26. Staci says

I agree with Karen…the chalkboard says “This Kitchen is Seasoned with Love”.

Most of the time they aren’t going to “personalize” anything when they stage it…especially when it’s a celebrity’s house. :)

Beautiful decorating though…Tori def knows what she’s doing when it comes to interior design…beautiful!

• hookedonhouses says

Not that I know of. Has anyone else heard anything about it recently?

The couch does need to be moved, maybe right out of the room. The furniture placement seems odd. The blues are amazing in the bedrooms. The family is nice.

28. Dawn says

I’m not a Tori fan. She’s a bad actress and not particularly pretty though she thinks she is better than she is.

I think she has too much money and is spoiled.

That said, the house is nice enough. I like the cheery After pics and agree that the couch should be closer to the fireplace to make it more cozy.

29. ella says

While everyone is oohing and ahhing over her home I’m looking at her husbands foot and wondering “Are his toenails polished?” They sure look like it to me.

Yeah. I’m weird.

Love your blog.

30. ljb says

Did anyone ever find out if and why his toenails are painted?

• hookedonhouses says

Apparently that’s the new trend for men. They were talking about it on “The View” the other day. Isn’t that strange?

• Christina says

Oh I saw that… what on earth? A new trend for men to wear red and black nail polish on their toes? I don’t agree.. If a man must get a pedicure, use clear nail polish… best way to go..

• Kat says

as I replied above, he stated before that he does it with his daughter as she loves it…that is a real dad…

31. Christina says

Great photos.. yet honestly I don’t see the comfort in that living room. Looks much too formal. I would want it to be much more suttle and comfortable for the kids.. they’re having another one soon here, so it’s time to make it more kid friendly and elegant, shabby chic, and a mixture of many other things I have ideas for… love the interior design issues I have because that’s what I do… love to look at a room and see the possibilities.. I can see it all over the place here… much too formal and could be brought to such limited possibilities..

32. Jackie W. - Kanasas says

Is having animals in the wedding a California thing or a TV reality thing ? The rats was over the top for me. How many adults have rats as pets ?

33. Julia says

It’s taken me 2 years but I finally got an exact copy of her headboard made with the same fabric. Now I need to get the pillow shams right. What do you thing does she have 2 kings shams with 2 euros in front?

34. Hilary says

Have you oticed that Around their pool they have taken the protective fence down/out.

35. marika spang says

Hallo…… Dean its your long old friend from DUNCANWOODS, aim so very proud of you,and its nice to see you are happy with a lovely women ,aswell your children are beautifully, email me when you have some time lov your sis marika.

• jason smith says

Hey Marika… jason from duncanwoods… jason smith 210 D – my mother is louise. Would love to catch up!

36. jamie says

I am a straight guy that has been married for mny years and I love to get pedicures and wear nail polish on my toes. My wife and I sometimes wear the same colors. I usually wear low-heel women’s open toe sandals because I love the variety of styles. My favorite colors are OPI Dutch Tulips and OPI Big Apple Red. I have tried all colors but the red colors are really pretty on my pale white skin and I really love wearing red polish on my toes. Why should there be a restriction on guys wearing nail polish when guys wear tattoos, earrings, and body piercings? It really doesn’t make sense! Women have been borrowing from men’s fashion for years for example: neckties, men’s shoes, men’s shirts. baseball caps and many other items are regularly worn my women. In fact, many women’s fashion magazines have ran articles about how to incorporate masculine items into their overall look. Now-a-days women are even into wearing multiple tattoos – remember that tattoos were once considered to be very masculine! It seems that women borrowing from men’s fashion is fine, but when men borrow from women’s fashion many people cry foul. Why the double standard? Many men are tired of being relegated to drab, dull presentations consisting of black, brown, blue, and gray. Would you like to be relegated to this drab and boring color palette? The only form of expression that men have is tattoos, and now women are getting as many tattoos as men. If a man doesn’t want to get a tattoo, it is a wonderful form of expression to get manicures/pedicures and have painted nails. Anyone male of female should be able to enjoy the relaxing experience of having a pedicure and as the final step, having any color of nail polish applied to your toenails including red or pink. I am for fashion freedom for men and women and believe that EVERYONE regardless of gender should be able to experiment and have fun with fashion. At my next pedicure appointment, I will ask my nail tech for some white flower nail art on my big toes.

Jamie :-)

37. Shellie says

This has absolutely nothing to do with their home, or decorating but it totally threw me, are Dean’s tonenails painted in the family photo on the couch? Ewww!!

38. Tanesha says

Yeah it does say “Tori’s Kitchen is Seasoned with Love” that’s beautiful! I wonder why they are moving again they haven’t been in this house long at all!

39. Lynne says

These are PR pictures for the real estate listing. Rooms are tidied up, stuff removed from counters, pool fencing taken down. Not the way their house looks when they are actually living in it!
    I’m willing to bet they move again in less than 2 yrs. because the house they bought in Malibu is very small for 2 adults, 3 children, and they will figure that out fast. Don’t know what possessed them to downsize that small unless they were getting hassled by the city of Encino for all their animals and had to find some place fast that would allow them. Who knows, but I really don’t think they will last in that Malibu 2300 sqfter.

40. Karen says

I’m amused that someone would find a 2,300 square foot home “very small” given that the home that I grew up in had 2 adults and 3 children, plus animals. I like room and space, but I do not like a ton of stuff, although my current home is cluttered. It got that way for a reason.

I don’t follow her show and am not a fan of reality TV, but I think her downsizing was a positive move. It was certainly refreshing to hear about. I do hope that she and they will make it work and I wish her the best. There are people who figure out that relationships are far more important than square footage and things.

I love homes and find your website interesting and that is why I keep coming back.