Mark Zuckerberg’s New Rental and More House News

by hookedonhouses on January 28, 2011

Mark Zuckerberg-Facebook founder CEO

Facebook Founder Mark Zuckerberg Gets a New Place: Gawker.

“Trading Spaces:” Where Are They Now? Apartment Therapy.

HGTV Losing Viewers: NYPost.

Top Celebrity-House Search of the Week: Charlie Sheen.

Real Housewives of Beverly Hills-cast

How to Decorate Like a Reality-TV Star: SFGate.

French Mansion Locked Up for 100 Years Reopens as Museum: BBC News.

Do You Want Your Home to Energize or Soothe You? Postmodern Hostess.

Snake-Infested House Can’t Find a Buyer: Consumerist.

Betty Grable pin-up photo

Rent Betty Grable’s Former Vacation Cottage in Palm Springs: HomeAway.

Is the TV Room a Thing of the Past? Philadelphia Inquirer.

Most Popular (Old) Posts This Week: 10 Ways to Be Happy at Home and 20 More Ways to Be Happy at Home.

Have a Great Weekend, Everybody! :-)

rosie at 3rosebuds January 28, 2011 at 9:08 am

I almost never watch HGTV anymore because it is ALWAYS House Hunters. I think with everyone’s home values dropping no one really wants to watch buyers either brag about the great deal they got or be super picky when selecting their vacation home in Fiji.

Now if it was just non-stop “Sarah’s house” they might win me back because I love her almost as much I love this blog :)

Homemaker January 28, 2011 at 9:25 am

Ditto, Rosie!
My thoughts exactly.

Rhonda Mankin February 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I couldn’t agree more! Every time I turn on HGTV I swear it’s the canadian show Property Virgins..her voice is annoying. I’m sick of house hunter too.

BRING back the show that showed you how to make a designer room worth 75K with only a 1000K..i don’t remember what that show was called but i like it..bring back the education and lose the busted real estate crap..I never understood why anyone would want to see other buying a home???

Ricki Jill Treleaven January 28, 2011 at 9:12 am

Lots of stuff to play with this weekend! WOW!!!! Thanks so much, Julia…now…where to begin……

(((hugs)))
~Ricki Jill

Robin January 28, 2011 at 9:27 am

They need to go back to basics! Show us real designers designing, and real cooks cooking. Most of the good shows come from Canada. HGTV and Food need to refocus.

Luciane at Homebunch.com January 28, 2011 at 11:02 am

Julia!

I will take a look at some links. HGTV loosing viewers, eh?

Now, YOU GOT TO SEE THIS! MICHAEL JORDAN bought a new dining table from a sculptor. My question is: Is he “Cool or a Fool” for buying it??? Come take a look what’s all about!

I want to know your opinion, Julia!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Josanne January 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

I know I’m not Julia, Luciane, but just wanted to say….

I would hate to think of cleaning this table if anything ever got spilled on it-suce as grease something sticky! I think you’d be seeing holes in your nightmares for a week!

Amanda @ Serenity Now January 28, 2011 at 11:05 am

Okay, a snake infested house? I have got to check out that one. ;) I remember your “How to Be Happy at Home” series…it was excellent!

Kelly D January 28, 2011 at 11:09 am

I agree with Robin! I quit watching HGTV a good while ago, and Food Network I got tired of the competitions. It just seems to be the same shows over and over. I’d rather watch paint dry than watch someone on HGTV look at another tropical home and complain about something I’d cut off my pinky toe over.

Kelly Berg January 28, 2011 at 11:40 am

Great roundup!!! Thank you!

Josanne January 28, 2011 at 11:49 am

Ooohhh! I like the pretty in pink apartment!

Any I steer away from white myself, but Charlie Sheen’s splashes of color throughout his house is really nice-it seems a different decorating style somehow, and I like it!

Amy Button January 28, 2011 at 11:50 am

HGTV used to have a nice variety of shows but it is either House Hunters or a marathon of Property Virgins or something like that. It seemed like they weren’t even thinking about the programming. I still love Food Network but even The Travel Channel has switched to mostly food programming. I couldn’t find an episode of Samantha Brown’s travels anywhere. I decided to get rid of cable since those were the only things I wanted to watch anyway. Now I use Netflix :)

Nichole January 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

Speaking of Trading Spaces and HGTV: Does anyone remember that show Barry did for HGTV where he went house hunting with people and showed them how each house could look? I think it was called Hidden Potential. I loved that show! They need more of that and Property Virgins and Sarah’s House and Mike Holmes. Less House Hunters!!!

The English Organizer January 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm

What a fab collection of links: you really do have a great “nose” for finding these! I’m going to have to save them for later, so I can get some w-o-r-k done ;)
Happy Friday.

Karena January 28, 2011 at 12:20 pm

My very favorite day to visit you Julia!! I will have a valentines giveaway coming right up!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Cindy January 28, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I love the article about the demise of the TV room. Our house didn’t have a separate family room, so we made the fourth bedroom on the first floor a TV room. My husband and I are in locked battle over whether our oldest son, currently sharing a room, should move to the finished basement or we should make the TV room back into a bedroom. I’m pulling for making the TV room back into a bedroom. I appreciate the ammo for my case. :)

Lizzy January 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Wow… i’m impressed with Zuckerberg’s home. It’s very… normal. I remember reading that he’s giving half his fortune away to charities, which would still leave him PLENTY of money left over for a big huge swanky house. This seems like a really good choice for him.

cristin @ simiplified bee January 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm

One of our old baby sitters was a personal asst. at FB a few years back and said that Mark’s apt had no furniture. He spent most of his time at the office!

xo,
cristin

Kim January 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I don’t watch HGTV anymore either because most of the shows have gotten boring. Like one of the dumbest shows they air on their channel is “Selling New York”. It puts me to sleep. They need to bring shows back if they want more viewers. Like “Save My Bath”, “Spice Up My Kitchen”, “Hidden Potential”, “Designers Challenge”, “Bang for your Buck”, “Divine Design” and more. I would watch those shows.

Mom in High Heels January 28, 2011 at 7:21 pm

We don’t get HGTV over here (Germany), but before we moved back over here, I was getting bored with it. It was the same shows over and over. Yawn.
How funny that you just posted about Trading Spaces the other day and then find that where are they now post. Fab!
I read a long time ago that the famous picture of Betty Grable was taken from the back because she was pregnant at the time and had started showing. I’m pregnant (7 months) and I wish I looked that good from the back!

stuccohouse January 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Geez, Zuckerberg’s house is very uninspired.

Carrie January 29, 2011 at 12:18 am

I would watch HGTV more if they had some fresh shows. It’s just one re-run after another. I think I’ve seen every House Hunters and Property Virgins. I like those shows but they need to shoot some new episodes.

Nita January 29, 2011 at 1:42 am

I just LOVE Betty Grable and seeing her house and imagining her there was cool. Thank you!

Mickinzie January 29, 2011 at 2:11 am

Thank you for posting that article about HGTV and Food Network. I stopped watching those channels a few years ago, HGTV is all about buying and selling houses and Food network is all competition, not learning how to cook. I’m glad so many people seem to feel the same way, hopefully the networks will pay attention. I personally miss alot of the learn do it yourself show. Now you have to pay an extra $60 a month on extended cable to get the DIY channel. I guess thats how compete with everyone being to look up stuff online.

Mel Mel January 29, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I agree with what most have said – HGTV is all about real estate now – find a house, fix a house to appeal to buyers, etc etc. They seem to have forgotten what to do AFTER you’ve bought the house and you want ideas to decorate it. And what happened to crafting shows? Food Network lost me a long time ago when Guy Fieri won The Next Food Network Star and is on most of the time now. Ugh is all I say about him.

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess January 29, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Thanks so much for the link, Julia! I love reading your site, so what a great surprise! :-)

xoxo,
tanja

Amy from China Shepherdess January 30, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I’m addicted to house hunters international and even I’m getting a bit bored of it. Here’s hoping they pick up the new season of sarah’s house and that the Emily Henderson show turns out as well as its pilot. I love HGTV and would hate for it to go by the wayside.

Kate (Little Beach Bum) January 30, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I’m going to have nightmares for weeks after watching that video about the snake house! Eeeughh…*shudder*.

And I agree with everyone about the downturn of HGTV. Shows about people buying and selling and buying and selling houses just doesn’t cut it these days (and I would imagine the housing market crashing left a nasty taste in a lot of viewer’s mouths). I miss the shows that actually taught you something, whether it was how to re-wire a lamp, or baste a turkey, or sew a slipcover. Am I old-fashioned?

PS also hate the game shows and “competitions”. Good Lord, how many baking/cooking/decorating “challenges” do we need?!?! I miss Julia Child.