For Sale: Winona Ryder’s 1930s Spanish Villa in L.A.

by hookedonhouses on December 29, 2010

Winona Ryder-Black Swan premiere

In the new movie Black Swan, 39-year old Winona Ryder plays an aging ballet dancer who finds herself getting pushed aside for a new rising star, played by Natalie Portman. In my mind, Ryder should still be 25, so it’s odd to see her playing the role of an “aging” anything. She played Spock’s mother in the 2009 Star Trek movie, too, another part that made me do a double-take.

She’s selling her 1930s Spanish Villa in L.A. for $3.95 million, and I thought it would be fun to take a look.

Winona Ryder's house in LA

Winona Ryder's house-entry stairs

The curved windows are one of the major selling points for me in this house:

Winona Ryder's house-living rm

The kitchen is surprisingly small and unpretentious for a movie star’s:

Winona Ryder's House in LA-kitchen 2

Has anyone seen Black Swan yet? I was eager to until I read a review that said, “It’ll give you nightmares!” Nightmares? Not something I really want to sign up for, but I’m still curious about it. If you’ve seen it, what did you think?

Winona Ryder's House-kitchen

The mural around the upstairs landing is attention-grabbing, but I’m in love with the window, the old light fixture, and that railing that looks original to the house:

Winona Ryder's house-staircase

There are 4 bedrooms and 4 baths:

Winona Ryder's house-bedroom

Another great window–and this one has a window seat, too! I’d spend all of my time right there:

arched window

This Art Deco bathroom looks original with the pink and blue tile. I think it’s kind of refreshing that she didn’t demolish it and replace everything with more modern fixtures. I have a feeling the next owner might, though. Would you?

Winona Ryder's pink and blue tiled bathroom

What do you think? Love the house or leave it?

For more photos and info, check the listing at WEA. The house also has its own website with a slideshow you can see here. More details about the house at Luxist and Real Estalker.

Go to Celebrity Houses to see more, including Natalie Portman’s.

Luciane at Homebunch.com December 29, 2010 at 10:19 am

I think her house is interesting….. to be 100% honest I wouldn’t pay this much for it and to be honest it’s not my taste, but I do like the kitchen. Lots of character, that’s for sure!

Have a warm day! :-)

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Pat December 29, 2010 at 10:26 am

What an interesting house..lots of details lost in some new homes. I like the exposed brick in the kitchen, it almost looks like an addition to the house. I don’t care for the pink and blue bathroom, but it would be pretty for a little girl.
I haven’t even heard of the new movie, let alone see it LOL! I’m not in the market for nightmares, but now I’m curious. It’s probably Hollywood hype anyway!
Take it or leave it? I think I would take it, even though I can’t afford it!!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..After Christmas Thoughts… =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now December 29, 2010 at 10:30 am

I like it!!! Lots of interesting details. I like the kitchen…wonder how often it was used? ;) I thought Black Swan looked great, because I thought it was about ballet. The whole nightmare thing sort of turned me off.
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Best Serenity Now Projects and Posts of 2010 =-.

down-sizingboomer December 29, 2010 at 10:32 am

Love the kitchen and master bedroom.
.-= down-sizingboomer´s last blog ..The One =-.

Tami December 29, 2010 at 10:34 am

I love it and would not touch that bathroom.

Ricki Jill Treleaven December 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

Wow, Julia. I love the house. I like the mixture of finishes in the kitchen, the blue and pink bath, and the wonderful windows. I would not do much to the house at all. It is very tasteful, and I, too, am happy to see that she left many of the original features of the house intact. Bravo!

I have not seen The Black Swan yet (I still cannot drive for two more weeks), and it is only playing at a couple of theaters here in Birmingham. My daughter went to see it Sunday night and it was sold out already (I was shocked about that).

Ricki Jill
.-= Ricki Jill Treleaven´s last blog ..Ryan Carlsons Art =-.

linda @ Lime in the coconut December 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

LOVE it! But I am such a sucker for any spanish home from the 20′s and 30′s…so glad so much was left untouched.
.-= linda @ Lime in the coconut´s last blog ..Re-cap…schmeee-cap Or…why do I feel like a slug compared to so many… =-.

cincinnatikate December 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

I posted a link to the movie on my FB page yesterday or the day before. Feel free to watch it. I wanted to watch it once I heard Portman would be nominated for it.. here is MY official review:
Oscar for this? Eh. Storyline.. Eh. Mila Kunis looks like she had surgery on her upper lip, but her acting was really good. Natalie Portman was good at being confused, but bored me. Winona played her single scene well, reminiscent of Girl Inturrupted (which btw is an excellent film). Hot lesbian s*x scene is what sold this movie to the Acadamy. Was not the dancing, was not the acting and was not the writing. Cinematography may win something. overall, I am confused at all the fuss.

hookedonhouses December 29, 2010 at 10:56 am

Thanks for the review! Sounds like I haven’t really missed anything…

anotherhomefan July 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I understand that this comment was made almost two years ago, but really?

The movie is fantastic. The tension builds at a perfect pace. The line between reality and fantasy is blurred in such a way that it leaves you guessing, and ultimately this is what makes the twist even better.

It’s also a beautiful film. The esthetic is consistent and simply stunning. There’s a reason this film was nominated for best picture (and it’s not a gimmick reason, like The Artist), Portman for best actress and Kunis for supporting.

Rachel December 29, 2010 at 10:38 am

I’ll take it! :) I think it is cozy, yet sheek. I love the room with the window seat and also that bedroom. Bathroom reminds me of my Nana’s house. I would leave it!

Heatherly December 29, 2010 at 10:39 am

Location! Location! Location! The house, although lovely, seems pretty understated for a big Hollywood star. It’s staged, right? Because that decor is BOR-ING!

I like the kitchen, seems just right for a single person.

Barbara December 29, 2010 at 10:39 am

I think it’s lovely and unpretentious, although I’d like a little more color or something in the main living areas (living room and dining room).
I also love that the bathroom wasn’t demolished! Love it as is.

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic December 29, 2010 at 10:45 am

Winona Ryder’s house looks wonderful! I love the hardwood floors. I would change the kitchen a bit and I couldn’t live with the bathroom! I own some property in Southern California that was built in 1938 . It still has the original pink tile in the bath with an etched shower door with a swan. Definitely a time capsule.
.-= Pam @ diy Design Fanatic´s last blog ..2010 Projects Wrap Up =-.

Mike December 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

I would want to re-do the bathroom, but only to change the color to white and blue or white and black. I’d try to find fixtures in white that matched that original style though, to keep the feel of the house.

I love, love, love the french doors opening up the kitchen & dining room to the outside. That is wonderful.

Laurie December 29, 2010 at 10:49 am

I’ve seen the movie twice. It’s not a horror flick. It’s more surrealism. Ryder’s part is very small.
The kitchen in this house needs to be redone. I’d leave everything else as is.

Heather December 29, 2010 at 10:56 am

Yes, I love the windows too, but that pink and blue nightmare has to GO! It might be period appropriate for the time the house was built but it doesn’t go with the over-neutral color scheme of the rest of the house.
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Chocolate Dreams =-.

Dawn December 29, 2010 at 10:58 am

Add me to the “LOVE IT” list. It’s tasteful, cozy and gorgeous.

Love the window seat and all of the wonderful details.

I wouldn’t change anything.

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots December 29, 2010 at 10:58 am

I like the kitchen…. the rest of it isn’t really my taste. I am dying to see black swan, it looks so creepy… in a good way ;)
.-= Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots´s last blog ..DIY Reed Diffuser and Air Freshener =-.

Jackie W. - Kanasas December 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

The naked lady in the mural would have to go or maybe put clothes on her. I am surprised someone has not fallen down the stairs. She seems like she would be a distraction to watching where you are walking.

Not interested in the movie. Sounds too narcissistic to me.

Kelly December 29, 2010 at 11:55 am

I like everything except the bathroom.

A big “thumbs down” on Black Swan for me.

BungalowBILL December 29, 2010 at 11:58 am

I’d never touch the tiles in the bathroom. The whole is too awesome. I could do without the mural at the staircase though. It distracts from the railing, window and tiled stair risers.

Amy December 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Love all of it, except I’d probably paint over the mural. I especially love the window seat in the gorgeous curved window. It’s WAY too expensive, though.

Amy Button December 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I love the house! I can’t imagine selling it but I guess there’s a lot to choose from in Hollywood. I’d have to re-do the bath though. It looks like a baby shower gone awry IMHO.
.-= Amy Button´s last blog ..White Christmas =-.

Alycia December 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm

That mural is definitely attention grabbing, but doesn’t fit with the style of the home. The windows, the floors, the original details throughout the home are gorgeous. If only that mural didn’t get put on the walls! Blech!
.-= Alycia´s last blog ..It’s all about you- baby! =-.

Maaike Quinn December 29, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I like the house. I love the windows as well (although I would certainly not put up those curtains, windows like that shouldn’t have any curtains imho). I don’t like the kitchen. It’s big enough for me (kitchens and houses in general tend to be small in the Netherlands) but I think it’s plain and boring. I would definitely think about buying the house though.
.-= Maaike Quinn´s last blog ..Seven reasons why I love FlyLady =-.

Leslie Nichols December 29, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I was just referred to your site. LOVE it! Loving WR’s house pics. And I’d probably leave everything except the master bathroom. Yes, it’s neat she left it, but ewww pink & baby blue! I also stole one of your bad MLS photos for our album How NOT To Market a Home For Sale on our fb page. Hope that’s ok. We’ll remove it if it’s not ok. TY! ~ LN

hookedonhouses December 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm

No problem, Leslie! Glad you could use it. :)

cheryl December 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm

LOVE IT…LOVE IT…LOVE IT… A storybook house! I read the article several years ago about this house in Architectural Digest (I think). I want to live there. I can totally picture myself spending time reading anywhere in the house and cooking in that sweet kitchen. Thanks so much for sharing this today!

Happy New Year!

Amy December 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Looove that bathroom. It kills me when people rip out the old charming features. I also love the entry.

Becky December 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I could live there!

Bre December 29, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love Spanish homes. I like everything about this house (really love the windows) but the mural and the pink and blue bathroom are not my taste. They seem jarring and out of place with the rest of the house though. Black Swan was definitely an odd movie, very intense but beautifully shot. I don’t understand it and online reviews don’t seem to make much sense of it either. I think you should see it if you want to!
.-= Bre´s last blog ..Best Beauty Looks From 2010 =-.

Jocelyn December 29, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I loved Black Swan! It was really good. Definitely creepy! It didn’t give me any nightmares though.

Audie December 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm

What an exquisite house, I love that her home is so classic and simple in its beauty…. nothing over the top, and that bathroom, oh that bathrooms. Homes like these make me swoon!

P.S. I’ve watched Black Swan twice and I LOVED it!!! Very much a psychological thiller but so beautifully made, I got chills the second time around. So good!
.-= Audie´s last blog ..Photo =-.

Casey December 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I think she needs to hire a designer and get rid of the over stuffed blah furniture.
Other than that I find the kitchen charming and the original bathroom to be also charming.
The blackswan was very good. Not at all what I thought it would be. Slow in some parts. Worth seeing…however I was looking for Beetle Juice the whole time.

Kim December 29, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us. I don’t like the pink bathroom and the house is alright. I am not a big fan of Spanish styled homes so I wouldn’t bother buying this one, but it was fun to look at.

Holley December 29, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Love it! I even like the pink and blue bathroom because it is so right for the house. The mural is only meh. I doubt that was the look they were going for, but it is not attractive or inspiring at all. I think I’d want something more art deco inspired.
.-= Holley´s last blog ..Good Heavens! =-.

Meg December 29, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I love the house! I wish there were more shots of the garden/courtyard that is visible in one of the pictures. The original bathroom is really neat (don’t especially love the colors, but I’m impressed she preserved it!). The only thing I’d rip out is that hideous mural! Way, way too dark, almost threatening — maybe something inspired by the Mexican Muralists of the 1930s would have been more appropriate to the house.

The Mrs. December 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm

This place is gorgeous. Even the weather outside is nice!

But…

I agree with Meg; that mural is horrific! Those people need clothes.

Thanks for the tour!
.-= The Mrs.´s last blog ..Ready for the Easy =-.

Jane Cederholm December 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Love this home.
The bathroom is wonderful-so retro! The Love art-deco and Spanish design. Could I have this home transplanted here to Florida’s gulf cost?

alison December 29, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Thanks for showing us this property! I find it hard to believe that this property is in America! It really looks European particularly the gardens! The home is designed beautifully but I feel it looks too designerish! Needs more personality. It looks like a show home. The bathrooms are beautiful but I agree with the other comments they don’y blend with the rest of the homes decor. If I lived there I would add some more colour, maybe soft green? It’s a little too brown! the first thing I noticed was the over head cables!! For that reason I definately wouldn’t buy it. xx

susie December 29, 2010 at 8:02 pm

The house is not a favorite of mine. It has some amazing details and lovely windows though. You’re right about the kitchen, rather on the small size. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing the inside of homes.
.-= susie´s last blog ..Gift Wrapping =-.

paige December 29, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Ooh, the house we rented for a year was much like Winona’s (a bit smaller, and newer bathrooms, but just as gorgeous, with so many period details). I loved it, and miss the easy indoor/outdoor living that we experienced in the hills of Oakland.

This, I’d take in a heartbeat!
.-= paige´s last blog ..winsomeness =-.

melissa December 29, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Oh I love it. Not too formal…but has a coziness to it. LOVE that old bathroom, would never change a thing in there. It is pricey, but that is the area I think. Thanks for sharing it with us!

stuccohouse December 29, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Love, love, love the bathroom.
.-= stuccohouse´s last blog ..Blogiversary =-.

Dean December 29, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I really like this house. I wish there was another picture of the kitchen though, because from the angle of the supplied one, that range hood/vent looks HUGE and totally out of scale. And although I would never do a bathroom in pink and blue, the one here is charming. I wouldn’t change a thing about it. I can imagine a 20s or 30s movie star bathing there. :-)

Desiree @ chic coastal living December 29, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I really love her home…..very California! A few updates here and there and wa-la!
.-= Desiree @ chic coastal living´s last blog ..NYE DIY- Glam Cocktail Napkins in 2 Steps =-.

Tori December 29, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Love house.
Black swan- haunting. I thought it was an incredible story. Natalie Portman was amazing. I think oscar-worthy. There were several disturbing scenes, and one scene where the suspense was high, but I wouldn’t call it scary or horror. The end really pulled it all together. And I loved the twisted swan lake dancing. I expected to like the ballet part least, but it was a really interesting expose on the work behind the performance. For me, the closest comparison is a movie like Seven, but without the gore and with some artistic dancing in it. It kinda sticks with you later as you mull over the story. I recommend it.

Bridget December 30, 2010 at 12:00 am

I was very excited to sneak a peak at a hometown girl made movie stars home. I’m disappointed. I too love the windows however I would leave the house. I expected so much more.

E. George December 30, 2010 at 2:05 am

Hi Julia I want that house but can’t afford it (the story of my life ) oh well never mind but I think its beautiful love the windows love the kitchen love everything so I wouldn’t change anything except maybe the garden. We won’t get this movie here for a while but I’ve heard good reviews. Thank you for sharing I love this style of home its always a winner with me… Regards Esther from Sydney…. Happy 2011

Nita@ModVintageLife.com December 30, 2010 at 2:23 am

I’d move into that house in a second. Let me go to the bank tomorrow and withdraw the funds. That bathroom would be a huge selling point for me. Gorgeous! You can’t make a bathroom that special today. I’d want to live in the bathroom. I also think the kitchen is kind of cool. At first I didn’t like the mural…but I’d have to see in person. If it’s original to the house…it would stay…if not….it would go. But I’d live with it for a long time to make sure. Love the windows. But then I love this sort of house all around.

Annie@A View on Design December 30, 2010 at 2:23 am

it’s a bit strange actually, very piecemeal, def personal/eclectic, which is what every home should be I spose, just not my cup of tea!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..And here comes 2011 =-.

Nita@ModVintageLife.com December 30, 2010 at 2:33 am

One more thing. That must be furniture brought in just to sell the house. It is awful…looks so cheap. Surely, she had wonderful things. This stuff looks straight out of a furniture store.

monique December 30, 2010 at 4:08 am

Oh, the windows in that house are fabulous! The staging is super bland, but tasteful. I wish we could see her furniture in the spaces. I feel bad saying this, but I couldn’t live with the pink and blue bathroom… that color combination is just too babyish.
My husband and I saw The Black Swan last night- yep, nightmares. It is definitely an artistic movie- but Natalie Portman’s character is so intensely self-destructive and disturbed, it just creeped me out. I felt like the fine lines on my forehead turned into full fledged wrinkles last night. Ugh.

laney December 30, 2010 at 7:36 am

…how wonderful to see an older house left as an older house…what a novel idea…i would buy the house for the authentic bathroom and that stair railing alone…

Adrienne December 30, 2010 at 7:46 am

I love it. It seems so real. The furniture is regular furniture that you or I might have. She has a slipcovered sofa and a tiny tv in her kitchen. So many stars have places that do not look lived in with furniture that is hard and uninviting. I love the bathroom. It’s really charming.

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl December 30, 2010 at 7:58 am

Wonderful old spanish style house. I love it! Great charm and style and history. This is lost with new stuctures, but of course I love older homes. New homes are beautiful, but olden one have such charm!
.-= Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl´s last blog ..Vintage Thingies =-.

Carol M December 30, 2010 at 9:03 am

Very nice home. Love the original details that were kept intact. Although pink and blue wouldn’t be my first choice for the bathroom, I just love the old details, so I would keep it the same.

Ranell Morris December 30, 2010 at 11:12 am

I am glad she kept the original details. The bathroom would be perfect for my grandbabies (twins- boy and girl). I like the architectural details, but not the mural. I would rather have an awesome farmhouse with a wrap around porch and a big walk in pantry!!!

Janell Beals December 30, 2010 at 11:50 am

The house is gorgeous, of course I’d have to make a few tweeks here and there…what blogger wouldn’t, but love it and her! I haven’t seen her in anything lately, must make a point of it.
Have a great 2011 Julia!
Janell

Lesley @ TheDesignFile December 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm

It’s an interesting house and I think it’s really beautiful. The furnishings are too matchy for me and the mural would have to go. But I love the kitchen, the staircase, windows and that dining room. beauitful.

I haven’t seen the movie but would like to.
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..New craft furniture collection has plenty of options =-.

middlesister December 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm

It looks like the house is staged. I would be sad if that is how she decorated it.

Anne December 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Great post! I grew up with Winona Ryder, but I have to say I strongly believe that she had all her stuff moved out and the house was professionaly staged for the listing. Based on Winona’s personal style, she would not design her house like a Pottery Barn catalogue. I imagine her loving anything vintage and eclectic in style. Winona is also super private. I wish celebrities would let us see a little more of their personal style off the red carpet! Oh well……………

Holly December 30, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I love pretty much everything, although I’m not big on that mural. And actually, I don’t love that the bathroom is pink and blue, but I wouldn’t change it, because it belongs.
I hadn’t heard of this movie. It’s funny…I was just thinking the other day about actresses getting older, and specifically WR, for some reason. Is it kind of a bummer for them to start playing the older parts? Maybe it’s because I’m 39 too and starting to feel old compared to all these 20-somethings!
.-= Holly´s last blog ..Overnight Caramel French Toast Recipe =-.

Kate (Little Beach Bum) December 30, 2010 at 4:14 pm

You know, this house is not my own personal style at all – but I surprisingly love it! I think the house looks like a nice blend of vintage and modern, but still cozy – love the bathroom and the sofas in the living room. (Looks like it is set up all ready for bridal shower! Ha ha :) )

Also…can you believe Winona Ryder is almost 40?!!! I agree with you – I always think of her as being young, too. Crazy…
.-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..You Know You’ve Seen “Star Wars” Too Many Times When… =-.

cailen December 30, 2010 at 4:18 pm

loving that house. the kitchen is wonderfully simple and i adore that fireside window seat.

(my friend saw “black swan” and said she couldn’t decide if she loved it or hated it. she finally decided it was brilliant. i’m intrigued…)

happy new year!
.-= cailen´s last blog ..cheers to 2011 =-.

CharmingDinnerGuest December 30, 2010 at 6:26 pm

If you want to know about The Black Swan, go to this website,
Movie Spoilers. It has saved me from many bad movies.

hookedonhouses December 31, 2010 at 12:48 am

Hadn’t heard of that site. Too funny. Thanks!

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} December 30, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Love the house and all the original details- including that fabulous tiled bathroom! I hope the next owner saves it. I have a soft spot in my heart for original tiled bathrooms! I just found vintage lavender light fixtures to add to my black and purple tiled bathroom. This bathroom would be a huge selling point for me (if I was in the market for a 3.9 million dollar home that is!)
.-= Melanie {The Tiny Tudor}´s last blog ..Merry Christmas! =-.

Marlene December 30, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Love it !! So airy and beautiful — especially her kitchen. And the bathroom is definitely a keeper — it would be a tragedy to demolish it. Lots of Kilz to cover the mural, though …

claudia December 31, 2010 at 12:28 am

Hello,
Love her house. I especially like the kitchen. I don’t mind that it’s small and love the fact that it opens up to the patio. How great would that be!
Happy New Year and look forward to more in 2011. Have a wonderful time with your family and friends. Thank you for being the first person to comment on my blog. Lots of inspiration.
Take care,
Claudia
.-= claudia ´s last blog ..Happy New Year- Feliz Ano Nuevo- Felice Anno Nuovo- &amp Athbhliain Faoi Mhaise Duit =-.

The Little Red Shop December 31, 2010 at 4:06 am

NO! I think the bubblegum bathroom is fantastic!

Almost Happy New Year, Julia! Thank you for entertaining us in 2010!

: )

Julie M.
.-= The Little Red Shop´s last blog ..Gourmet Smores &amp Other Sweet Surprises =-.

le @thirdontheright December 31, 2010 at 4:38 pm

just adore it – all of it from the murals to the bathroom and back down to the kitchen – fabbo !! le
.-= le @thirdontheright´s last blog ..January 1 2011 =-.

Erin December 31, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Would I install a blue and pink bathroom in a new house? Never. Do I love the vintage tile in its pristine condition? Yes! Call me old-fashioned, but I just love the idea of someone preserving something like that in our “in-one-minute-out-of-style-get-rid-of-it-the-next” culture. We once lived in a gorgeous 1950′s apartment in Southern California. It had a yellow kitchen, a yellow bath and a very pink bath. I loved the nostalgic feelings in that place. I always imagined that tile and grout was lovingly cleaned by someone else before me! We will still talk about that place and everyone will say, “you mean the one with the pink bathroom”? Thanks for sharing!

Stacy December 31, 2010 at 11:47 pm

love it. the floors are beautiful. the windows are breathtaking. love the exposed brick in the kitchen and doors leading to the patio. the pink/blue bathroom is charming, i would keep it. the mural, however, would absolutely have to go! it distracts from the other great features surrounding it.

Jason Andrews January 1, 2011 at 2:14 am

Wow what a beautiful home. The decor is fabulous. So crisp clean lines very natural and elegant.
.-= Jason Andrews´s last blog ..CACA LADY ANNOUNCES ALBUM DATE =-.

bfish January 1, 2011 at 10:53 am

I love everything about it especially the bathroom — too bad about the yucky colors (am not a pastel person) but the tiled seat by the sink, the colored pedestal sink, the built-in dresser with tiled top are all so authentic to that period. The kitchen is fine too. The mural I could do without. All the french doors and casement windows are great, as are the various crown molding/cove treatments, the window seat room with fireplace and balcony, and the courtyard off the dining room. I grew up in a smaller, less fancy version of this house (in SoCal) so the style holds a continuing appeal to me.

Thanks for sharing it, and happy new year!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy January 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm

It’s so lovely!

belledame January 5, 2011 at 3:03 am

being two years younger than winona, i’m not ready to see her turning the corner. i’m not ready to be dragged along behind her. too bad so many of her recent films haven’t had her as the headliner. if she’d stayed the leading lady of generation x, we’d have had a progression of films in which she went through the stages of life to reference our own against. i’m starting to suspect that we have had an extended youthful mindset, like those folks in the ’80s. most of my friends are married with kids. maybe it’s just me with the extended youthful mindset…

Missy January 31, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Love it! It could use a little bit of accent color, though.

My grandmother’s bathroom was nearly identical to this one here. Those were the days where bathrooms were not designed as entertaining spaces like they are now!

Missy February 5, 2011 at 11:55 pm

…but the furniture and frat house mural must go!

Tina from Te Horo, NZ February 19, 2011 at 3:50 am

Ooooh I love it – a bit of everything that works well together and creates a great space.

I’m a little surprised it doesn’t contain more ‘edgy’ (Winona-like) knick kancks … it looks like it could be anybody’s house.

I’m not so keen on the bathroom – it definitely needs to go and can be easily replaced by a simple white deco suite.