Tamara Mellon’s NYC Apartment Has Snakes

Tamara Mellon NYC apt-Bazaar

Did you see Tamara Mellon’s NYC apartment in Harper’s Bazaar? When I saw this shot of Tamara (the founder of Jimmy Choo) lounging in her living room, at first all I could focus on was the white sofa, which looked oddly out of place to me in such a dark room.

Then I noticed the artwork on the wall behind her and realized that they were photographs. Of snakes.

snake photo closeup

I immediately thought of my Grandma Hazel, who hated snakes. And was terrified of them. All my life I heard, “Our family doesn’t garden.” One day I asked why, and she said, “Because of snakes, of course! You never know when one might pop out at you.”

So Grandma Hazel would not approve of this kind of art. However, after my initial WTH reaction, I realized that it was a clever reference to her famous company and their snakeskin shoes.  In which case, might I suggest that a wall covered in photos of these might be a nice alternative?

Jimmy Choo-snakeskin shoe

Just a thought.

What do you think about the snake art? Creepy or cool?

Snake photographs by Guido Mocafico. Thanks to My First Little Place for bringing this to my attention. Original photos and full slideshow of Tamara’s apartment: Harper’s Bazaar.

See How More Famous People Live: Celebrity Houses.

Comments

1. melissa says

Hi! I suppose you wouldn’t choose this art unless you were trying to make some kind of statement. Perhaps it is her favorite material/texture for her shoes or perhaps she is trying to (or is) edgy or quirky. Note the McDonalds bag in the foreground on the exotic animal patterned rug. To me this scene reads “hey, I’m super successful and fashionable and can do what I like.” Too many rich textures for me – I would be on sensory overload!

• hookedonhouses says

Funny–I was so busy staring at the decorating and the snakes that I didn’t realize the bag was from McDonald’s! -Julia

2. Beverly says

Um, weird? Why is it that so many people that have money, have no taste in style?

It’s a good job she has a career in shoes and not in interior design… Yuck! I definitely wouldn’t be snoozing on that sofa… bad dreams of snakes slithering down… like in the ‘Temple of Doom’… Lx
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Making aprons- making memories =-.

What I find interesting is that she’s eating McDonald’s on her fancy white couch. Not a fan of the snake art. Something weird happens to people when they get a lot of money. It’s like common sense flies out the window…that or their interior designers just go crazy. Either way right there is a good reason not to get too rich;)
    .-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..The peeps project =-.

I think your Grandma and I would have been great friends, I like her way of thinking!
    I can honestly say I HATE her artwork, and that’s not a word I use lightly. It would give me nightmares, just like the price of her shoes, that is unless I had enough money to buy her shoes. Then only the artwork would give me nightmares because I would be rich and have my own ugly artwork!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Not Again =-.

6. Lili says

Ew, no… gives me the heebie jeebies on two levels; one, I don’t like snakes (or shall I say “I hate snakes”), and two, it reminds me of a certain serpent…. wouldn’t want him in my house, if you know what I mean.

7. Dean says

I like snakes and I like the photos, but as a group they look more like tentacles to me than snakes (and I don’t relish the idea of an octopus behind me). I’m more put off by the McDonald’s bag. Not only tacky, but how anybody can eat that crap is beyond me.

Hmm…ummm….let’s see….the serpent….archetype of evil…..Slytherin…He Who Must Not Be Named….Satan….ummm…Nope. Not. Going. To. Happen….

I do not think I could stay in that room for five seconds…..

Although I have a very similar grouping of photographs (impact wise) in my dining room of succulent plants…..not serpents…..

But on a brighter note, I do love Jimmy Choo shoes! 😀
    .-= Ricki Jill Treleaven´s last blog ..I blog about Sins- Not Tragedies =-.

Her place is beautiful and you know, some people loves to appear… well, in magazines, anywhere they can and whenever they do, they want to make an impression… sometimes with what they’re wearing, sometimes with their hair, or even with their HOUSES! And she did that!

No snakes for me. Thank you, but noooooooo…. :-)

This is fun thou. 😉

Luciane at HOMEBUNCH.com

It’s all wrong, wrong, wrong. The room is completely unapproachable. After rubbing this nightmare from my eyes, I noticed the McDonalds bag. I’m catapulted to turned off to disgusted. I think I need to throw up now.
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Etsy Shop Now Open =-.

defintely creepy. I too hate snakes (like, major phobia) and these pictures would give me nightmares! uck! I do still garden, however. Luckily we only have Garter Snakes where I live, so no risk of a nasty, poisonous number popping out at ya!
    .-= andrea´s last blog ..The Days Events =-.

Creepy…no question. I appreciate the artistic value but…nope…not my cup of tea. I say that all of “her taste is in her mouth” but that’s not even right…McDonald’s???
    .-= CherylK´s last blog ..November Still Life =-.

13. Cassandra says

No on the snakes and the couch. You mean there really isn’t a Jimmy Choo? First no Easter Bunny, then no Santa and now this!

Definitely creepy! This room would be my mom’s worst nightmare. She is so terrified of snakes she screams and puts her hands over her eyes when she sees one on tv! She nearly had to stop watching television when that stupid Snakes On a Plane movie was out because of all the previews.
    I think nice big photos of the shoes would be much better artwork!
    .-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Love &amp Toast =-.

• hookedonhouses says

That’s exactly how my Grandma was. We had to turn the TV off if someone so much as mentioned snakes on a show. And she hated cats, too, because she said they reminded her of snakes when they would slink down close to the floor. We had a cat and had to put it in another room when she came over! -Julia

15. Cassandra says

On further looking at the Harper’s Bazaar spread – slide #4 – the living room looks much different – lighter in color and it even looks like maybe the photos over the couch are not of snakes but you only see such a teeny part of them. I think the mag put the snake pics for effect – the rest of the house looks fairly normal.

• hookedonhouses says

I wish the photos were bigger so I could tell what the artwork is in that one you’re talking about. The colors do look different, for sure. -Julia

16. Ruth says

I’m with Grandma on this one! No snakes in my house not even on the wall! It’s really a shame when rich people have no taste when it comes to decorating…and they have the money to do it!!

I really can’t imagine having that over my couch. It would just give me the heebie-jeebies the whole time. My sister on the other hand wouldn’t even walk in the room. She’d probably have to leave the house!
    .-= Rhiannon´s last blog ..Happy Halloween =-.

That’s just weird. I’ve seen photos of her house before, and I love everything except those snakes photos. When looking at that photo, it’s like I can feel one about to sneak up on me. It makes me want to pull me feet up on my chair. And I agree that pics of her fab shoes would be much better.
    .-= rhianna´s last blog ..Home Is Where the Heat Is =-.

19. Christie says

I would think that a good designer could have a room that would take your breath away and be memorable with out making guests feel ill at ease.
    ~ Christie

I kinda like it! Not for my own house though. My mom would never come to visit. It sounds like she and your Grandma Hazel had a lot in common. One time there was a snake in the front yard while I was getting ready for school, and my dad was out of town and the neighbor heard my mom scream and came over. He grabbed it by the tail to fling it away, but the end of its tail broke off and it went flying at my mom! (Well that’s how she tells it- I’m sure that it went flying vaguely in her general vicinity, but according to her it flew right at her.) So anyway, I would put that in a nightclub or something, but not in my own home.
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..Parking strip- crossed off =-.

21. Jackie W.- Kansas says

I can handle one non poisonous snake at a time. That many together is CREEPY.

We live in the country & snakes eat mice.

22. Susan S says

What an extraordinary apartment! The art? Well, it gives me the creepy crawlies!

23. Kim says

That is just disturbing. I couldn’t stand sitting in that room or even living in that house. What horrible taste in style.

24. HollyM says

Gross. Unnerving. Unwelcoming. Uninviting. A horror show. Once again, money cannot buy taste.

Lots of WTF moments in this picture, the snake photographs and the McDonald’s bag chief among them. I think the photographs are beautiful in that terrifying art way, but I would not have them on display in my home. I’m with you, pictures of shoes would be much more stylish and less frightening.
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..Local Love- Dustin Kline Salon =-.

26. Wanda Ann Richey says

What is all the fuss with the pictures..they are beautiful creatures..just not some peoples tastes – I dont like mice! So what if she eats something from Mac D’s- people get off your skinny high horse . What I do find offensive is the price of Those shoes! What is funny to me is she is flaunting it…to all those that buy her shoes, would probably never be caught eating at Mac D’s !

I get why she would have the snake photos — they have meaning to her, and are unexpected and sometimes a little edgy, like her shoes. That said, I can barely look at snakes on TV without falling apart! It would never work for me, but if it works for her, great.
    .-= Amanda @ House Revivals´s last blog ..A Poppy for Remembrance =-.

28. Lisa T. says

Like it. When walking in the woods, I need to see the snakes before they see me. But I don’t get the horror response people are having. Maybe she likes to get the silly women out of her house first thing. Only a relative few snakes are dangerous, and I can see the beauty in them. At a safe distance, of course. Like a still photograph. Get a grip, people.

I get more creeped out when I see children wearing human skeletons all over their clothes. What is up with that trend?

I’m going against traffic on this one. First, I love snakes. They’re beautiful, elegant animals. Second, I love the art. It’s bold and sensuous and striking (no pun intended). Just because she has money and chooses to do something out of the ordinary with it does not mean that she does not have taste. More likely that if her taste did run to the ordinary, she would not have the money.

But never, in a million years, would I ever wear the skins of these innocent animals on my feet (or anywhere else).
    .-= Why S?´s last blog ..Disappointment =-.

30. LucyT says

HATE SNAKES and I bet she does’nt really eat Mcdonalds.Wish I had her legs but I wouldn’t wear snake skin because it creeps me out.Maybe she has stock in Mcdonalds.

31. laney says

…horrible… just horrible…remember all things horrible started with a snake…end of discussion…

32. ljb says

I think she is a typical designer. They feel the need to be wacky and way out. I think it is grss.

33. Johanna says

While I can admit that the photos of the snakes are very well done, there is no way in heck that I would ever put those in my house. I hate snakes, and just looking at those makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. EEEeeeee….

34. Elvira says

What an interesting room – and interesting responses! Snakes are beautiful and unfortunately very misunderstood animals and the photos are really good, however, snakes trigger an atavistic fear response in me and I couldn’t have those photos in my house. I prefer to look at them in photo books.
    I do like the green glass lamps, the shade of green is so delicious. And I’d love to try on -and maybe own some Jimmy Choo shoes one day.

I dunno… I realize I’m a little late on this, but I think they’re kind of beautiful. Am I the only one?? The thing about non-poisonous snakes (and I came to this post from the one about the garter snake infestations) is that if they’re not poisonous, I don’t really care. I’ve had them around my house, and from my (limited) understanding, they eat other things I don’t want around. Plus, they look and feel kinda cool, so I don’t really see the big deal. (Although in the case of the “Infested” family, I would feel incredibly duped and angry that my family was put in harm’s way from potential disease caused by such a dramatic infestation.)

But from a photographic/originality standpoint? I say, more power to her. :)