Phil Spector’s Creepy “Pyrenees Castle” in Alhambra

by hookedonhouses on October 26, 2010

Phil Spector-Pyrenees Castle Alhambra

Now that Phil Spector has been found guilty of murdering Lana Clarkson in his “Pyrenees Castle” in Alhambra, California, he is reportedly prepared to sell it to pay for his appeal.

I had seen the exterior photos of his house before, and read that it was built in 1926 as a replica of a real French chateau. European artisans were even brought over to complete it in style. So imagine my surprise when I saw the interior photos on Curbed recently, and this is what it looks like inside:

Phil Spector's house 1

Mirrored walls. Cranberry carpet. And knights standing guard in the entry. As Curbed puts it, the decor in Spector’s castle proves he’s guilty of more than just murder.

He bought the faux chateau in 1998 for $1.1 million, but the London Times says it’s expected to sell for less than that. This kitchen may be one of the reasons why:

Phil Spector-kitchenWhen I saw this close-up of the fridge, covered in photos, it made me wonder if this is what it looks like inside Phil Spector’s brain (maybe we don’t want to know):

Phil Spector-fridge

Look at this room for very long and you’ll start seeing spots. I did, anyway:

Phil Spector-pool table

I don’t even want to know what that is on the floor in front of the dog kennels (poor pups):

Phil Spector-dog kennels

Even before he shot Lana Clarkson in the entry hall, Spector’s castle had been rumored to be haunted. One woman who grew up in the area says that she and her friends would dare each other to run up to the house and touch it, and she only had the nerve to do it once.

Phil Spector-staircase

There’s just no way I could live here–or any house where someone had been murdered. I get too creeped out by stuff like that. Could you?

*4/12 UPDATE: Phil Spector is suing local government from inside prison because he says a construction project is “destroying his house.” Details on TMZ.

More information about the home’s interesting pre-Spector history on Zillow and current status on The Sunday Times. Check out the entire photo gallery on Curbed.

To See More Famous Houses, Click Here.

Janet October 26, 2010 at 7:57 am

This home screams crazy! Guilty!
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Not Your Mommas Pumpkin! =-.

Lauren October 26, 2010 at 8:01 am

Love a pragmatic solution! Always the businessman, Phil.

As for the ‘spot on the rug’ in the dog photo…. dare I ask?
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..55 reasons to hit the Wet Coast =-.

karin/lifeinsmallchunks@blogspot.com October 26, 2010 at 8:06 am

While I do think it’s kind of creepy to think about living in a house where someone was murdered, it’s even worse to think about living in a house that UGLY!

hookedonhouses October 26, 2010 at 8:13 am

Good point–not sure which is worse!

ace December 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Thats what happens when you have more money than brains!

Amy W. October 26, 2010 at 8:07 am

As like you, I am spiritually sensitive in houses and places that have had some weird and strange happening in it.
I do have to remark, that your last picture of the stairs…reminds me of the opening scene in The Munster Family show….I wonder if the staircase opens up to show
a pet with flames shooting out of it’s nostrils!

hookedonhouses October 26, 2010 at 8:13 am

You never know! Ha.

Luciane at Homebunch.com October 26, 2010 at 8:17 am

There’s no way I would live in a house where someone was murdered. Even if was for free. Honestly.
I think that a house has much more to do than just being a house, it should be your home, where you can come back and feel refuged from all the problems outside. Where you can feel secured and happy. And for that, your house should have good vibrations, good energy. In a house that murdered happened, I don’t think would fulfill those requirements. I am not saying it’s hunted :-) I am saying that somebody suffered so much there and to be in the same room/house where a life was taken, isn’t the ideal place to call “home”.

The “ugliness” of the house could be fixed, but the “aura” of the local is something more complicated, and harder to fix.

To another point, I posted today about a really good “feeling” house, It’s more zen, let’s put that way. :-)
Do you like Zen, Asian Inspired Homes? This one is so amazing, Julia. And it’s also for sale! :-)
Take a look and let me know what you think, ok? :-)
Thanks!

Luciane at HOMEBUNCH.COM

Mike October 26, 2010 at 8:18 am

This house is clearly haunted. By the spector (sorry, couldn’t resist) of bad taste. :-)

Pat October 26, 2010 at 8:31 am

When something so horrible as taking a life has happened in a home, I think the only right thing to do is just what the new owner did to O J Simpsons home. Remove it from the earth, and demolish it. At first I was taken aback that such a pretty home as Simpsons had to be tore down, but now I understand why.
If this home were to be razed, it would also remove ugly from the earth!!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Shopping- Sightseeing- and Hugs Goodbye =-.

Dean October 26, 2010 at 9:32 am

Wow-Not at all what I thought it would look like. I expected odd or eccentric, but this is just kind of sad.
The house I live in was built in the 1920s and has had a ton of residents and some of those spirits still roam the halls and apartments today. I have at least one in my place, but I’ve never gotten a bad feeling about him (yes, I’m certain it’s a “he”). But, a murdered soul? I don’t think I’d want to reside with one. :-)

Nicole M. October 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

Oh my Crazy Time. I think that is the theme of his decor. Cranberry carpeting? Lawd. I have to laugh at the kitchen. Declutter. New handles on the cabinets and it would be half way in style since everyone is claimng gray is the new way to go for cabinets. Of course I think the appliances need upgrading. Looking at those pixs made me feel dirty. I wouldn’t even want to step foot in that house without hand sanitizer.

Deb October 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

The interior of that house is butt-ugly. Forgive my bluntness.
.-= Deb´s last blog ..Oh Yeah Thaaats gonna leave a mark =-.

T. October 26, 2010 at 9:59 am

My goodness, that’s a lot of red! Inside and out! I like it on the outside. Inside, not so much.

I do think homes can have good or bad auras or vibes or whatever you want to call them. I know when I was looking at houses, certain houses just felt “wrong” to me, and it had nothing to do with layout or features. I am beginning to wonder about the house next door to me. Over the years I’ve lived here, three different couples have lived there , and all three marriages have ended in divorce! I think that is downright odd.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip October 26, 2010 at 9:59 am

No. I could NOT live there. Creepy!
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..Fundraising =-.

Tiffany S. October 26, 2010 at 10:03 am

Wow is that hideous!

I can’t tell you how many times I went to people’s beautiful homes in LA only to find that the insides were garish, ugly or hardly furnished because they could afford the house but couldn’t afford to decorate it well.

We live in a house now where a man killed himself. It was mostly sad, not scary, but it’s a happy house in all other respects. Just an unfortunate circumstance.

Kelly October 26, 2010 at 10:26 am

It wouldn’t bother me to live in a home someone had been murdered in (I lived in one someone committed suicide in once, there was even blood still on the wall from where it happened-yuck), but looking at the exterior, I would have expected the rooms to be much, much larger and grander. I expect whoever buys it will totally gut the inside, and I wouldn’t blame them!
.-= Kelly´s last blog ..1820 Greek Revival- Washington- GA =-.

Dawn October 26, 2010 at 12:07 pm

What an awful mess of bad taste and horror. And the poor pups in the “kennel” now haunt me … so sad.

Shelly October 26, 2010 at 1:00 pm

YUCK! What a horrible house AND it’s in Alhambra. I’m from a few cities over…and can tell you first hand that Alhambra is NOT where someone with money would really want to live.

Kim October 26, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I saw the outside of this castle and didn’t think it was creepy at all. Then I saw the inside and I got the goosebumps. Those poor dogs. Everything about the interior is just wrong. There’s no way anyone is going to want to buy this house. Unless they are going to tear it down and build a new one.

Alycia October 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Poor Phil, going to waste his money on an appeal. What a dummy! The house is creepy and not in a good way.

Too bad O.J. is still stuck in jail, he may have wanted to buy it! lol
.-= Alycia´s last blog ..Why Im quitting ASID and other Design Sites =-.

Traci B October 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I’m with you! No way I could live where someone was murdered. It’s just too creepy.
.-= Traci B´s last blog ..Another Met Monday =-.

Cristy October 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I feel bad for houses that have a bad reputation because of history. It’s not the poor house’s fault what happened there! All a “haunted” house needs is a good family to move in and give it positive energy and new memories to make it feel like a home. Although I must say that this house would need to be nearly gutted to remove the ghosts of horrible taste.

Jackie W. October 26, 2010 at 1:53 pm

The house didn’t murder anybody. People murder people.

The carpet might keep me from buying that house though.

Struggler October 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm

That is truly creepy, yes. I think I would much prefer not to live anywhere where someone met a gruesome end, but if the vibe was OK, then I would consider it. I’m not getting a good vibe from these photos, though!
On a happier note, I linked back today to one of my all-time favorite blog postings, where you switched your family room from summer to fall last year. Of course I credited you fully… hope that’s OK!
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Finally I’m Ready to Think Fall =-.

Melissa October 26, 2010 at 2:29 pm

What a shame! Don’t you just want to rescue this lovely (well, could be…) home? Just imagine what it COULD look like (ahhh…staring dreamily into the distance)! Alas, the home owner clearly has a screw or two lose…what a shame tsk tsk

Jessica October 26, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Someone was murdered in the home I grew up in (where my parents still live). In my bedroom. For some reason, my grandma told me the story when I was about eight years old, and I slept with the light on for about two years. But I never saw any evidence that it was haunted. I might live in another house with a creepy past but I wouldn’t tell my kids about it until they left for college.

I would never live in this house, though. I hate the color cranberry too much.

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 26, 2010 at 3:00 pm

And I thought I had a lot on my fridge!!! What a CREEPY place!!!
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Mom Cave Not to Be Confused with the Bat Cave =-.

Nancy Baldwin October 26, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Maybe I am weird but think how satisfying it would be to restore not only the decor but the good karma to this house. It’s not the houses fault that bad deeds happen within its walls. It needs to be restored to a place of peace and grace. It deserves it. My husband and I had one of our houses blessed by an Episcopal priest to ensure peace inside. From a true house lover and nut!

E. George October 26, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Hi Julia I’ve seen a lot of horrible places but this tops it all. It’s creepy on the outside and ugly on the inside kind of describes the owner. Those poor dogs….. I could not live in this place looking at the photos “I am not pickin up good vibrations”.. On a happy note hope you are organised for Halloween not long to go now… It’s starting to get popular over here must make sure I’ve got lots of candy just in case someone comes knocking.. Regards Esther from Sydney….

Melissa October 26, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Hi Nancy
Yes! I’m with ya on this one…what a satisfying project that would be :-)

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints October 26, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I can’t even believe that kitchen was in THAT house. So weird…and gross. I think I could live in a house that had a past, but I wouldn’t want to.
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Suck it up =-.

Beck October 26, 2010 at 7:41 pm

very deceiving photo….outside v. inside. No, I would not knowingly stay in a house where a murder took place or a suicide for that matter. heeby jeebys

Catherine October 26, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Whoa, I wouldn’t have razed OJ Simpson’s home; the murders didn’t take place there. With regard to this house, I’d have to see how it ‘felt’. Perhaps there are no spirits negatively haunting it.

That said, if you can afford a million dollars for a house, I would think you could afford paint and/or wallpaper for those walls!
.-= Catherine´s last blog ..Coffee Flavored Coffee… =-.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top October 26, 2010 at 11:02 pm

This house creeps me out! HE creeps me out. No, I could not live in a house where I knew someone was murdered.
.-= Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top´s last blog ..Halloween Party Menu =-.

Nita October 26, 2010 at 11:58 pm

I feel so bad for this beautiful house! It is so lovely on the outside, and it just shows money doesn’t mean you have taste.

Maria October 27, 2010 at 4:44 am

Clearly there was a sale on cranberry…everything.

In 1970.

This poor sad house with the 3 hounds of hell guarding and/or pooping on it needs somebody to love it. And banish the crazy. Or just turn it into the slezy nightclub it cries out to be.

Teacup Lane October 27, 2010 at 10:51 am

As Glen Beck would say “Here’s another Spooky Guy”!
.-= Teacup Lane´s last blog ..Orange n’ Black =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions October 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm

He should have time added onto his sentence for what he’s done {or not done to this house}! It’s a shame because it was probably very beautiful at one time. I noticed that it looked like the vacuum couldn’t fit under the pool table, so I guess you just stop there? I think many of the pictures speak for themselves and I hope someone gets this place cleaned up to sell. I have found {through experience} that just because people have money, fame or celebrity, it doesn’t mean they are clean.
.-= Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions´s last blog ..A Birthday Giveaway =-.

Heatherly October 27, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Puke-inducing on so many levels.

Also, Alhambra is a gross city with little to offer but fab Asian foot massages and Dim Sum.

Daisy October 28, 2010 at 12:08 am

Like you I would not buy a house anyone was murdered in even if the person was famous. Phil Spector seems like a loon; his house proves it.
.-= Daisy´s last blog ..Top 15 Christmas Toys 2010 =-.

Amy October 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm

That home is very creepy and sad. I’m like you and couldn’t buy a home where something so disturbing had happened.
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Super Hyper Micro Link- Geodesic Home model =-.

Lori November 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Does anyone know is taking care of those animal. I drove over this weekend – someone said there are dogs in cages out front too. Anyone know how I can rescue them??

hookedonhouses November 1, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I wish I did. Does anyone else know what’s going on with the poor pups? -Julia

Jaime Howard July 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm

My Great Aunt’s Father had this house built. My mother spent several years growing up there and the house was once magnificent. Too bad such a creep ruined what was once such a marvelous look at French Architecture

Kini Izzard April 4, 2013 at 9:18 pm

A house is a house it doesn’t a home make. Only the mind of man determen to let the sunshine in. The life of the women killed there was bright and cherfull and her mind was kind and wise. Maybe that would put protection and happiness on a new resident. A little money can restore and renew and portray a fine landmark in LA. People will drive by and say “you know it was this beatyful asparing actress that was so loved by so many that tragely lost her life there. She was so loved by so many. Well, just a thought. Pease.

{ 1 trackback }