Daryl Hall’s Revolutionary War-Era Colonial

Daryl Hall Restores Revolutionary War-Era House in New York | hookedonhouses.net

When I heard that Daryl Hall–the taller, blonder half of the popular “rock and soul” duo Hall & Oates–was selling his house in Amenia, New York, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Whatever I imagined–something with a retro-’80s vibe, maybe?–it wasn’t this. It’s a Revolutionary War-era Georgian Colonial that he restored with meticulous attention to historical detail.

The house sits on 245 sprawling acres and has 9 fireplaces, “numerous parlors,” a country kitchen, paneled keeping room, and original tavern room. The restoration, the listing says, has “museum-quality detailings.”

Daryl Hall house 3

It may be a little too historically accurate for me personally to want to live in, but I’m in awe of all the work that went into it. There were actually two old homes from the 1700s that Hall used to create one large one.

Daryl Hall-fireplace

It’s on the market for $16 million.

Daryl Hall's house from the 1700s in New York

Hall loves living in old houses and preserving them. He also restored a Georgian-style home in London, and he owns the oldest house in the state of Maine, built in 1662.

Daryl Hall-great room

Did you know that he produces monthly Internet webcasts that feature various musicians performing here in this house? Visit Live From Daryl’s House to watch one.

Daryl Hall-kitchen

According to the listing, the estate boasts “four guest houses, an engineered recording studio, gardens, mature groomed and natural woods, a spruce grove, meadows, farm roads, stone walls and walks, terraces, old apple orchards, a neolithic fire pit (created and installed by internationally respected British landscape designer Keir Davidson), and a pond.”

Daryl Hall house 5

Oh, and did I mention the indoor pool?

Daryl Hall house 4

Listing Photos of Daryl Hall's Colonial in New York | hookedonhouses.net

For more photos and information about this estate, visit the Real Estalker.

Daryl Hall-Revolutionary War-era house NY

What do you think? Would you like to live here? Or are you thinking, I Can’t Go for That? Hey, just be glad I didn’t wedge any references to Private Eyes or Maneater into the post, too… 😉

Hall & Oates

P.S. Visit Celebrity Houses to see more, including…

Faith Hill Tim McGraw Franklin TN estate for sale

Tim & Faith’s Place

Tony Shalhoub and Brooke Adams Cottage on Martha's Vineyard
Actor Tony Shalhoub and his wife Brooke Adams have a charming cottage on Martha's Vineyard where they spend their summers with their family. Country Living featured…
Did you catch Steve Kroft's interview with Conan O'Brien on 60 Minutes? It was conducted at O'Brien's house in Brentwood, California, so of course I…

Comments

You are so funny. Now I’m going be singing, “Oh-uh-oh. . . No can do. . .” all day long. :)

The house is beautiful. I could probably go for that. I wouldn’t necessarily have chosen to retain quite that much historical detail, but the indoor pool kind of balances things out, doesn’t it?

Let’s see, where’s my checkbook? I guess I should make sure there’s $16 million in my account before I buy, huh?
    .-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..The most delicious coconut cookies ever =-.

2. melissa says

This kind of looks like the home used in the series John Adams, HBO.

It’s a bit too old fashioned for me (except for that pool), however I definitely appreciate the time & effort put into keeping it historical. Not exactly what I would have pictured for him – at all.
    .-= duchess´s last blog ..Sunday Morning Visitors =-.

Wow, what a surprise! Proves the old addage about judging a book by its cover, doesn’t it? People are often more complex then we assume.
    Back to the house….for me it’s amazing..greatly to be admired but could I live in it? Probably not, it seems a little too “hard surfaced” to me! I need some softer surfaces!! But, I am in awe of the work and dedication he put into the home!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..SUNDAY SCRIPTURE =-.

5. Peggy says

What great taste he has. And have always enjoyed their music. Shows you how complex artistic people really are.

I love this house! The entry and the stairs are my favourite… I just can’t imagine him living inside this beautiful historical house… I see him more like in a ’80 loft!
    Kisses
    Etta

7. Kara says

I agree… very unexpected for him~ but beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Haha, “I Can’t Go for That” cracked me up! I love the kitchen. It reminds me of Jamie Oliver’s kitchen on his Jamie At Home show, with all the wood and brick. The one thing that makes it look too rustic to me is how all the floor have no color. Can’t they put a coat of stain on them to warm up the place a bit?

Good for him for restoring old properties and preserving history!
    .-= Kelli´s last blog ..Tuesday Truth #10 – I can’t stop looking =-.

It’s beautiful but I think it would creep me out to live in something that old. I love that he uses the space to play with other musicians. Very cool.

Wow! Who would have guessed? It’s beautiful. I love the details. I like that the indoor pool room has a historical feel too. And for the record, I’ll be singing Private Eyes for the remainder of the day, so…thanks.
    .-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Civic Minded =-.

11. Janelle says

It’s nice from the outside, and I’m sure the grounds are fabulous, but the inside leaves me wanting. The wood planks on the floor (that aren’t typical “hardwood”) just lend a cold look to the house. Oh, and how the heck do they work an indoor swimming pool into “authentic”? Weird.

• hookedonhouses says

Janelle–
      The property is huge with lots of different buildings on it. I imagine the pool is one of them (and not part of the house). -Julia

12. Susan S says

You’re right, who’d have “thunk” it! Loved Hall & Oates music back when, still do actually. The place would be a marvelous investment for a quaint resort as it has most amenities already though I don’t know what the zoning is.

I was given tickets to a concert of theirs back in the 70s in Columbus, OH at OSU, but they were a no-show. Never did find out why.

13. Lara Jane says

Wow! Not what I’d have expected either! I would’ve pictured stark white interiors with glossy black furniture, neon paint splatters… LOL

I’m not into Colonial either but I give him a hearty round of applause for staying true to the home’s history. I would’ve hated to see it modernized inside. (Don’t buy an old house if you don’t want an old house! Put your cherry and granite and travertine and vinyl windows in a new one and it’s a win-win for everyone! Yeah, it’s a touchy subject for me.)

He also gets applause for rocking my younger years. What I got: full stock of thoughts and dreams that scatter, and you pull them all together, and how I can’t explain…

Colonial style homes are my absolute favorite and this one is amazing! I probably wouldn’t feel comfortable living among all of the historically accurate details but can appreciate what it must have taken to restore.
    The pool was a surprise to see!
    Thanks so much for sharing this post with us!

15. Susan S says

Me again. Just visited Daryl’s website and loved it! I’m just amazed when I find out about something great that I had no idea existed!

Thank you again, Julia for the great post!

P.S. You never told your readers how you celebrated your birthday! Plus, you never divulged your age! 😉 😉

• hookedonhouses says

Susan S–
      Oh, did I forget to tell you how old I am? Oops. My family took me out to dinner and threw a nice little party for me, so it was a lovely way to turn 28 again. -Julia 😉

I would definitely love to live in a house like this! Old style, modern amenities – the best of both worlds! … except the swimming pool. I don’t think I’d ever buy a house with an indoor swimming pool (just not my thing).
    .-= Lori-Anne´s last blog ..A Month for Mothers =-.

I worked with a client who lived in a historically preserved home. It was very challenging to make it feel homey to our modern eye and not too primitive. Personally, I wouldn’t chose to live in this type of home, but am grateful to those who do.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Random Loveliness =-.

It’s probably totally wrong to say this, but I love the house – I’d just decorate it a bit more comfortably!

~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..More Pictures =-.

19. Kim says

Someone could get lots of money turning this into a tourist attraction, historical site, or bed and breakfast. Except for the pool, but maybe they would let people come and swim there or sell it to someone. Then they could build their own dream home on another part of the property.

For me, I wouldn’t want this house because it’s too historical. I mean I appreciate that he kept the history of it, but I would feel I was stuck back in the 1700’s living here. That’s just me.

20. Katie says

I am visiting for the 1st time (from Knock off Wood) and this house is awesome!! I would live there in a heartbeat!

“Austere” doesn’t begin to cover it! But good for him. I would never have figured him for that type! I do love the shell bookcase. I’d love to see the house in Maine!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Run for the Roses Tabletops =-.

22. Nita says

I love this house! I went through a Colonial period with furnishings and still love it. I guess he’s just moving on to the next project? I would love to see his Maine house!

23. Jane says

I absolutely love it! Colonial style decorating is my favorite. That kitchen is the best!

I have the Hall & Oates Greatest Hits CD. Rock on! :)

I love this house. I think it’s beautiful. It’s a tad rustic for my taste but I still wouldn’t mind living there.
    .-= Carmen´s last blog ..10 years old! =-.

25. Susan S says

Awwww, Julia, luckily you look young enough to get away with it!

Always been a fan of Hall & Oates & even Darryl when he went solo! Good music & who would have thought that he was into old historic homes. never knew. Love this house, but it is a little too authentic for my taste. FUn to look at!

I think the house is neat, but I’d have to get the paint out, and soften things up a bit. I’d also do something with the floors-shiny varnish and beautiful accent rugs!
    .-= Josanne´s last blog ..A Peculiar Twitch =-.

28. Arlene says

Thanks so much for presenting this house. He has done a superb job at the restoration of these fabulous homes.

29. Alicia says

Love this house and anyone who has the intelligence and sensitivity to restore it so beautifully and historically accurate. I could live there as it seems to have modern conveniences. I just can’t afford it! : o)