For Sale: Daryl Hall’s Revolutionary War-Era Colonial

by hookedonhouses on May 4, 2010

Daryl Hall-Revolutionary War-era house NY

When I heard that Daryl Hall–the taller, blonder half of the popular “rock and soul” duo Hall & Oates–was selling his house in Amenia, New York, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Whatever I imagined–something with a retro-’80s vibe, maybe?–it wasn’t this. It’s a Revolutionary War-era Georgian Colonial that he restored with meticulous attention to historical detail.

Daryl Hall

The house sits on 245 sprawling acres and has 9 fireplaces, “numerous parlors,” a country kitchen, paneled keeping room, and original tavern room. The restoration, the listing says, has “museum-quality detailings.”

Daryl Hall house 3It may be a little too historically accurate for me personally to want to live in, but I’m in awe of all the work that went into it. There were actually two old homes from the 1700s that Hall used to create one large one. You can read the  details about their history and how they’re connected in the listing.

Daryl Hall-fireplace

It’s on the market for $16 million. Hall loves living in old houses and preserving them. He also restored a Georgian-style home in London, and he owns the oldest house in the state of Maine, built in 1662.

Daryl Hall-great room

Did you know that he produces monthly Internet webcasts that feature various musicians performing here in this house? Visit Live From Daryl’s House to watch one.

Daryl Hall-kitchen

According to the listing, the estate boasts “four guest houses, an engineered recording studio, gardens, mature groomed and natural woods, a spruce grove, meadows, farm roads, stone walls and walks, terraces, old apple orchards, a neolithic fire pit (created and installed by internationally respected British landscape designer Keir Davidson), and a pond.”

Daryl Hall house 5

Oh, and did I mention the indoor pool?

Daryl Hall house 4

What do you think? Would you like to live here? Or are you thinking, I Can’t Go for That? (Hey, just be glad I didn’t wedge any references to “Private Eyes” or “Maneater” into the post, too…)

Hall & OatesHall & Oates in the Awesome ’80s.

For more photos and information about this estate, visit the Real Estalker and the Klemm Real Estate listing. Thanks to Arlene for telling me about it!

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to all the others I’ve featured, including…

Faith Hill Tim McGraw Franklin TN estate for sale

Richella at Imparting Grace May 4, 2010 at 7:07 am

You are so funny. Now I’m going be singing, “Oh-uh-oh. . . No can do. . .” all day long. :)

The house is beautiful. I could probably go for that. I wouldn’t necessarily have chosen to retain quite that much historical detail, but the indoor pool kind of balances things out, doesn’t it?

Let’s see, where’s my checkbook? I guess I should make sure there’s $16 million in my account before I buy, huh?
.-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..The most delicious coconut cookies ever =-.

LoveFeast Table May 4, 2010 at 7:09 am

I’m thinking the pool wasn’t historically accurate…:) It has a bit too much exposed wood for me, but my hubby would love it!
~kristin
.-= LoveFeast Table´s last blog ..Italy With A Baby =-.

Robin May 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

Julia,
What a great kitchen. I love this house and it’s simplicity, yet it is very warm. Thanks for sharing.
Robin
.-= Robin´s last blog ..Take Me Out To the Ballgame =-.

melissa May 4, 2010 at 7:30 am

This kind of looks like the home used in the series John Adams, HBO.

duchess May 4, 2010 at 7:35 am

It’s a bit too old fashioned for me (except for that pool), however I definitely appreciate the time & effort put into keeping it historical. Not exactly what I would have pictured for him – at all.
.-= duchess´s last blog ..Sunday Morning Visitors =-.

Pat May 4, 2010 at 7:44 am

Wow, what a surprise! Proves the old addage about judging a book by its cover, doesn’t it? People are often more complex then we assume.
Back to the house….for me it’s amazing..greatly to be admired but could I live in it? Probably not, it seems a little too “hard surfaced” to me! I need some softer surfaces!! But, I am in awe of the work and dedication he put into the home!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..SUNDAY SCRIPTURE =-.

Becky K May 4, 2010 at 7:44 am

I had no idea that this musician was into restoring homes. I love that!
I could not live here either…but I could visit.
It is so beautiful in that colonial sort of way.
What an amazing job!!

Becky K.
.-= Becky K´s last blog ..Mosaic and Blue Monday Entry…A Gift =-.

Peggy May 4, 2010 at 7:56 am

What great taste he has. And have always enjoyed their music. Shows you how complex artistic people really are.

Etta May 4, 2010 at 8:02 am

I love this house! The entry and the stairs are my favourite… I just can’t imagine him living inside this beautiful historical house… I see him more like in a ’80 loft!
Kisses
Etta

Kara May 4, 2010 at 8:07 am

I agree… very unexpected for him~ but beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Alison Agnew May 4, 2010 at 8:30 am

Yummy! I’m thinking that would make a fabulous hotel. I would stay there!

Alison
.-= Alison Agnew´s last blog ..frocks =-.

Karena May 4, 2010 at 8:31 am

Wow Julia, I had no idea of his interest for the historic. Fabulous indoor pool! The propery is amazing.

Karena
Art by Karena
.-= Karena´s last blog ..Opening Night Art Exhibit & Reception =-.

Kelli May 4, 2010 at 9:53 am

Haha, “I Can’t Go for That” cracked me up! I love the kitchen. It reminds me of Jamie Oliver’s kitchen on his Jamie At Home show, with all the wood and brick. The one thing that makes it look too rustic to me is how all the floor have no color. Can’t they put a coat of stain on them to warm up the place a bit?

Good for him for restoring old properties and preserving history!
.-= Kelli´s last blog ..Tuesday Truth #10 – I can’t stop looking =-.

Jenn Calling Home May 4, 2010 at 9:58 am

It’s beautiful but I think it would creep me out to live in something that old. I love that he uses the space to play with other musicians. Very cool.

Mom in High Heels May 4, 2010 at 10:02 am

Wow! Who would have guessed? It’s beautiful. I love the details. I like that the indoor pool room has a historical feel too. And for the record, I’ll be singing Private Eyes for the remainder of the day, so…thanks.
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Civic Minded =-.

Janelle May 4, 2010 at 10:12 am

It’s nice from the outside, and I’m sure the grounds are fabulous, but the inside leaves me wanting. The wood planks on the floor (that aren’t typical “hardwood”) just lend a cold look to the house. Oh, and how the heck do they work an indoor swimming pool into “authentic”? Weird.

hookedonhouses May 4, 2010 at 10:49 am

Janelle–
The property is huge with lots of different buildings on it. I imagine the pool is one of them (and not part of the house). -Julia

Trish @TheOldPostRoad May 4, 2010 at 10:14 am

Can’t judge a book by its cover, can ya? Wow. Love the house and am amazed that he owns such a ‘refined’ home. Thanks for sharing
-Trish
.-= Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..More Painting =-.

Jessica at LAvender and Lilies May 4, 2010 at 10:35 am

I love the entryway.
.-= Jessica at LAvender and Lilies´s last blog ..A Bit of Filing =-.

Susan S May 4, 2010 at 10:41 am

You’re right, who’d have “thunk” it! Loved Hall & Oates music back when, still do actually. The place would be a marvelous investment for a quaint resort as it has most amenities already though I don’t know what the zoning is.

I was given tickets to a concert of theirs back in the 70s in Columbus, OH at OSU, but they were a no-show. Never did find out why.

Lara Jane May 4, 2010 at 10:45 am

Wow! Not what I’d have expected either! I would’ve pictured stark white interiors with glossy black furniture, neon paint splatters… LOL

I’m not into Colonial either but I give him a hearty round of applause for staying true to the home’s history. I would’ve hated to see it modernized inside. (Don’t buy an old house if you don’t want an old house! Put your cherry and granite and travertine and vinyl windows in a new one and it’s a win-win for everyone! Yeah, it’s a touchy subject for me.)

He also gets applause for rocking my younger years. What I got: full stock of thoughts and dreams that scatter, and you pull them all together, and how I can’t explain…

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints May 4, 2010 at 10:46 am

HA! Can’t go for that:) I’m not into the rustic. I like homey, comfy and warm. Who would have thunk it??
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Intermission =-.

Jamie May 4, 2010 at 10:53 am

Colonial style homes are my absolute favorite and this one is amazing! I probably wouldn’t feel comfortable living among all of the historically accurate details but can appreciate what it must have taken to restore.
The pool was a surprise to see!
Thanks so much for sharing this post with us!

Susan S May 4, 2010 at 10:57 am

Me again. Just visited Daryl’s website and loved it! I’m just amazed when I find out about something great that I had no idea existed!

Thank you again, Julia for the great post!

P.S. You never told your readers how you celebrated your birthday! Plus, you never divulged your age! ;) ;)

hookedonhouses May 4, 2010 at 11:38 am

Susan S–
Oh, did I forget to tell you how old I am? Oops. My family took me out to dinner and threw a nice little party for me, so it was a lovely way to turn 28 again. -Julia ;-)

hip hip gin gin May 4, 2010 at 10:58 am

Nine fireplaces, my own apple orchard AND an indoor pool?? Sign me up!!!
.-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Eva Zeisel =-.

Liz@VioletPosy May 4, 2010 at 11:04 am

What a fabulous property! Just gorgeous x
.-= Liz@VioletPosy´s last blog ..{The Gallery} – Paint a picture of the world we live in =-.

Lori-Anne May 4, 2010 at 11:35 am

I would definitely love to live in a house like this! Old style, modern amenities – the best of both worlds! … except the swimming pool. I don’t think I’d ever buy a house with an indoor swimming pool (just not my thing).
.-= Lori-Anne´s last blog ..A Month for Mothers =-.

Jamie May 4, 2010 at 11:38 am

I worked with a client who lived in a historically preserved home. It was very challenging to make it feel homey to our modern eye and not too primitive. Personally, I wouldn’t chose to live in this type of home, but am grateful to those who do.
.-= Jamie´s last blog ..Random Loveliness =-.

Tricia Rose May 4, 2010 at 11:45 am

TOO historically accurate??!! NO! – it isn’t as though he is cooking on the neolithic firepit is it? And feel the serenity (quote from australian cult movie “The Castle”).
.-= Tricia Rose´s last blog ..A Little Frivolity – Show and Tell =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 4, 2010 at 12:15 pm

The wood/brick/hearth thing isn’t really my style, but he sure nailed the period. Someone out there with a bazillion dollars will love to call that house “home.” My MIL would probably love that house. How cool to be able to restore homes. It’s lovely!
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Propaganda, Gifts, and a Get-Together Recap =-.

Angela May 4, 2010 at 1:39 pm

It’s probably totally wrong to say this, but I love the house – I’d just decorate it a bit more comfortably!

~angela @ peonypatch
.-= Angela´s last blog ..More Pictures =-.

pk @ Room Remix May 4, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Oh my. Definitely not what I would expect either. Definitely an I Can’t Go For That for me. :-)
.-= pk @ Room Remix´s last blog ..GIVEAWAY! – $125 at CSN Stores =-.

FROM THE RIGHT BANK May 4, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Well, it’s not “making my dreams come true” :D but it is still a lovely house. 245 acres? Yowza. So not what I would have pictured him living in though. I would have thought more urban for some reason.
.-= FROM THE RIGHT BANK´s last blog ..Orange Crush: Orange & Turquoise =-.

Kim May 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Someone could get lots of money turning this into a tourist attraction, historical site, or bed and breakfast. Except for the pool, but maybe they would let people come and swim there or sell it to someone. Then they could build their own dream home on another part of the property.

For me, I wouldn’t want this house because it’s too historical. I mean I appreciate that he kept the history of it, but I would feel I was stuck back in the 1700′s living here. That’s just me.

Katie May 4, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I am visiting for the 1st time (from Knock off Wood) and this house is awesome!! I would live there in a heartbeat!

Heather May 4, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I would like it for a vacation home. ;-)
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Gates =-.

Susan May 4, 2010 at 6:38 pm

“Austere” doesn’t begin to cover it! But good for him. I would never have figured him for that type! I do love the shell bookcase. I’d love to see the house in Maine!
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Run for the Roses Tabletops =-.

Jenny May 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm

ROTF at “I Can’t Go For That”! That was hilarious. I don’t care for the home at all, but that’s cool of him to restore the homes.
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Links I Like: 13th Edition =-.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno May 4, 2010 at 9:45 pm

What a cool house!
.-= Sara @ Russet Street Reno´s last blog ..Walk all over them =-.

Nita May 5, 2010 at 12:06 am

I love this house! I went through a Colonial period with furnishings and still love it. I guess he’s just moving on to the next project? I would love to see his Maine house!

Stephanie May 5, 2010 at 6:26 am

It’s a little too country, and I’m a little too rock n roll, lol!

Jane May 5, 2010 at 6:52 am

I absolutely love it! Colonial style decorating is my favorite. That kitchen is the best!

Carmen May 5, 2010 at 7:21 am

I have the Hall & Oates Greatest Hits CD. Rock on! :)

I love this house. I think it’s beautiful. It’s a tad rustic for my taste but I still wouldn’t mind living there.
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..10 years old! =-.

Melanie May 5, 2010 at 8:24 am

I have always loved them and their music. Thanks for sharing his home. I would never have guessed it was his.
.-= Melanie´s last blog ..This is beautiful! =-.

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen May 5, 2010 at 3:24 pm

If he doesn’t get any buyers and wants to gift the house to me, I will say that I love his decorating…perfect! I could put some mid-century modern in there….right? (I know…just kidding) It is a cool property though.
.-= Black Eyed Susans Kitchen´s last blog ..THIS AND THAT MONDAY…OR WHAT I DID THIS WEEKEND =-.

Susan S May 5, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Awwww, Julia, luckily you look young enough to get away with it!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality May 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Always been a fan of Hall & Oates & even Darryl when he went solo! Good music & who would have thought that he was into old historic homes. never knew. Love this house, but it is a little too authentic for my taste. FUn to look at!

Josanne May 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I think the house is neat, but I’d have to get the paint out, and soften things up a bit. I’d also do something with the floors-shiny varnish and beautiful accent rugs!
.-= Josanne´s last blog ..A Peculiar Twitch =-.

Arlene June 15, 2010 at 9:47 am

Thanks so much for presenting this house. He has done a superb job at the restoration of these fabulous homes.

Rose July 24, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Wow. It’s beautiful.

Nicki Zimmerman February 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I AM BUYING THIS HOUSE!!! IT IS FANTASTIC.

Alicia May 10, 2011 at 5:18 am

Love this house and anyone who has the intelligence and sensitivity to restore it so beautifully and historically accurate. I could live there as it seems to have modern conveniences. I just can’t afford it! : o)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com July 22, 2012 at 11:39 am

I would live here in a minute :)

Maria November 2, 2012 at 6:31 pm

VOCÊ E O PARAISO HALL!!!!!

{ 1 trackback }