Sweetbriar: Alan Jackson’s $38 Million Mansion

Alan Jackson photo

Popular country singer Alan Jackson lives in a 19,000 square-foot house known as Sweetbriar. It sits on 135 acres in Franklin, Tennessee, and it can now be yours for $38 million (start digging in your sofa cushions!). Alan and his wife Denise (who wrote the inspirational book It’s All About Him) have decided to downsize.

Alan Jackson-Sweetbriar exterior

I read that the house, which was built in 1997, was inspired by Gone with the Wind. I guess the exterior is supposed to resemble Tara?

Alan Jackson-family room

I can understand why they’d want to downsize. I’d feel like I was living in a hotel here. I mean, nice to visit, but after awhile I’d want something cozier.

Alan Jackson-bedroom

You can see all of the photos and take the virtual tour here. (Photos by Donna Yancey of Creative Exposure.) There’s more information about the house on the Fun Times Guide.

Check out this fan video of Alan Jackson’s song “House With No Curtains.” It features photos of Sweetbriar and the Jacksons, along with their personal notes about various rooms of the house (but that’s not Jackson singing the song–it’s Ron Warner):

P.S. Visit Celebrity Houses to see more, including Keith Urban

Comments

1. Debkb says

While Sweetbriar isn’t my taste it is a gorgeous house and property.

Just an FYI the video for House of No Curtains does contain pics of Alan and Sweetbriar that is NOT Alan singing!

• hookedonhouses says

Debkb–
      You’re right. I think, based on the note at the beginning of the video, that the singer is someone named Ron Warner. Apparently he put the video together, too. Thanks! -Julia

It would be a gorgeous Hotel!!! For about 100 occupants!:) The outside is fabulous and then so is the inside. JUST SO LARGE! We have a hard time hearing what the other person is saying in the next room in our home, Can you imagine in their home what it would be like? You would have to take along a walkie talkie to converse. I will take cozy and comfortable any day:)
    .-= Beth at Aunties´s last blog ..Yum, Chocolate Pudding Cake made with ‘ The Light Version’! =-.

3. Kim says

Wow that house is way too big. I wouldn’t know what to do with all of that space if I owned it. The house is much nicer then most celebrity homes I have seen though.

Wow. I do admire the facade – it’s very handsome. The house is huge but the architects did a very good job keeping the exterior elements to a human scale.

It’s clearly an over-indulgence, but the house’s fit and finish is beautiful. Many residential architects would totally lose their sense of the whole designing a project of this size.

But I think you’re right Julia – they probably just realized that something of this size can only ever be just a house – it’s hard to call something so massive a home. Unless you’re a Medici.
    .-= Nate @ LaurelStreet´s last blog ..Buyer’s Remorse & Serial Decorating =-.

5. laney says

…down here in ga alan jackson is known not only for his music…but for his very big heart…one as big as this house…he does many many good things for children …he has built and maintains a home for children and teens who are in need …not only of physical shelter …but of love…and isn’t that what home is really all about…

Wow opulent is the word that comes to mind. I agree though it’s like a hotel…too large, not cozy and homey at all. My best friend is going to dinner tonight at Garth Brookes and Trisha Yearwood’s house tonight:o Her husband works for a hearing aid foundation and they were invited to dinner with a bunch of professional baseball players. Apparently he has a son with a hearing deficit. Isn’t that the coolest though. I begged her to take a camera. I would be sneaking pics left and right;)
    .-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Custom tree give-away!!! =-.

7. Mike says

Holy Crap! You’d need those FRS walki-talkies just to have a conversation in this house! :-)

Kidding aside, it’ really is just too big. It would make a fantastic private lakeside resort though, wouldn’t it?

8. greenie says

Never thought I would say this, but too many windows! Do the owners have to hire a full-time window washer? Turn it into a hotel or B&B.

I agree with “greenie.” A B&B is a great idea. Franklin is not too far from T’s extended family. They have a large home, but nowhere near 19,000 square feet! This would mean the end of the 4 of us getting crammed in a guest room at Thanksgiving. 😉 I’m all for the B&B! 😉
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Guest Post: Meal Planning for Dummies =-.

Wow. That whole place is unbelievable. Going through the pictures, I kept thinking it was nearing the end and then they were showing yet another structure. They really held back and were super frugal weren’t they? 😉 And I think it’s pretty safe to say that my house would fit in their 2-story family room–fit with a lot of room to spare.
    .-= aubrey´s last blog ..Antibacterial Soap =-.

11. Beckie says

His previous house was pretty good size. They built this house when the real estate market was on the way up here & for privacy. I imagine they wish they had the old house. It was about 4k + sq feet & a few acres, but a subdivision built up around. Got a great price for it.
    Beckie in Brentwood, TN

and he seems like such a simple guy. Who would have thought the inside would look that that.

13. Norma says

This house is beautiful on the outside. But way too big on the inside. I wonder how many maids they have to clean this house. Too much. Thanks for the great pictures Julia.

14. Nita Hiltner says

I can’t find the place to click about the house on Monday, but I vote Mr. Mom!!! It was my dream house for years!!!!! I think it’s a real one too, maybe in Detroit or near there?

Yes, it’s veerrrryyy large! But, I wouldn’t mind living there for a little while…just to see what it feels like!
    I think the grounds are just so beautiful, that’s what really works for me.
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..FRIDAY FAVorite =-.

Well, to start off Ron Warner is no Alan Jackson in the singing department 😉

That house looks about as much like Tara as my house does! Do you think they’ve seen the movie?? LOL

Oh and by downsizing, do they mean getting a divorce? He doesn’t exactly have a history of monogamy.

Anyway, too big for me!

rue
    .-= rue´s last blog ..Once in a while… =-.

Thanks for sharing Alan’s home with us! It is a beautiful home and he deserves it. Alan Jackson is one of my favorite singers – I love his song “Let It Be Christmas”! And he wrote it too. They probably realize that as one ages it gets harder and harder to keep up a home and that one must cost $$$$$. I like the decor – I think it is tastefully done. I’d like to see the home they downsize to.

Teacup Lane (Sandy)
    .-= Sandy´s last blog ..FYI – Computer Updates! =-.

I agree with most of the comments, too big and too big beige but at the same time extremely beautiful. My comment doesn’t seem to make any sense!!
    .-= Laurie Jones´s last blog ..ZGallerie =-.

Hi Julia,
    You featured the home of one of my husband’s all time favorite country artists. But…he was left with his jaw dropping when he saw where the country boy hangs his hat. What a place! As beautiful as the main house is, I loved the little guest cottage best. Guess I’m a simple girl at heart.
    As always, thanks for your wonderful photos and terrific features. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll do next.
    Joanne
    .-= Aprons Gone Wild´s last blog ..Southwest Turquoise Beaded Halter Top Gone Wild in Amy Butler Kashmir Fabric =-.

Hmmm….that is one big….space. I just don’t see how I would feel cozy in a place like that. I can’t imagine how much it costs to hire cleaning people! I wonder what their next home will be like, how much smaller it will be.
    ~Michelle
    .-= Michelle´s last blog ..The one that got away =-.

Wow, that is quite the spread! I think the room could have been designed to be cozier with zones. It does resemble a hotel. I bet with some help it could be a fabulous B&B!
    Paula Grace
    .-= Paula Grace´s last blog ..Idols Revisited =-.

It’s MASSIVE! I love the exterior and the grounds, but it’s just too…much. I wouldn’t mind living in the barn looking building on the grounds, but the main house would have to be used for a hotel.
    .-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..A How NOT To =-.

23. Jessica says

I have never been blown away by a house before, until now!! Oh my that was HUGE and Beautiful! I could never live in a place that size, but it sure was pretty to look at, maybe even visit. I can’t believe that have all of those buildings on their property. Way to much to keep up with. Wow. All I can say is Wow. Thanks for sharing!

Wow $38 million is a tad bit excessive! Alan Jackson could have bought an entire state of VT for that price tag. I’m just thankful that I don’t have to pay the taxes on that pretty baby…thanks for sharing.
    .-= Charlotte´s last blog ..What’s for dinner? =-.

That could be turned into a fantastic bed and breakfast! The space is great, although not nearly enough color for my taste.

Julia, I linked to your blog in my post today. But I think you already know your blog is one of my favorites!
    .-= Kristen @ More Than Mulberries´s last blog ..Model Home Stalker =-.

26. Kathy :) says

WOW what a house… I love his voice…never in a 38 zillion years would I have thought he would be that ostentatious….. too big a house for me but I could tough it out… lol

All the best Julia,
    Kathy :)

Yes, this one is very lovely from jackson. Really great to look at! Thanks so much for posting this one!

28. Makennah says

If anything, the outside looks more like Tara than the inside.

I’ve been to Franklin, TN. It’s an exquisite and very old community about 30-40 minutes south of Nashville. Sweetbriar would make an EXQUISITE hotel, bed-and-breakfast, or vacation resort! You know, I’d be happy to be the nanny for whoever owns this place, and live in either the stable quarters, the guest hosue, or even the log cabin! I’m packing my bags as I type!!!!!

OMG…a recessed tramoline! WHAT A PHENOMENAL IDEA!!!
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..Coffee Flavored Coffee =-.