Sweetbriar: Alan Jackson’s $38 Million Mansion

by hookedonhouses on January 7, 2010

Alan Jackson photo

Popular country singer Alan Jackson lives in a 19,000 square-foot house known as “Sweetbriar.” It sits on 135 acres in Franklin, Tennessee, and it can now be yours for $38 million (start digging in your sofa cushions!). Alan and his wife Denise (who wrote the inspirational book It’s All About Him) have decided to downsize.

Alan Jackson-Sweetbriar exterior

I read that the house, which was built in 1997, was inspired by Gone with the Wind. I guess the exterior is supposed to resemble Tara?

Alan Jackson-family room

I can understand why they’d want to downsize. I’d feel like I was living in a hotel here. I mean, nice to visit, but after awhile I’d want something cozier.

Alan Jackson-bedroom

You can see all of the photos and take the virtual tour here. (Photos copyright Donna Yancey of Creative Exposure.) There’s more information about the house on the Fun Times Guide.

Check out this fan video of Alan Jackson’s song “House With No Curtains.” It features photos of Sweetbriar and the Jacksons, along with their personal notes about various rooms of the house (but that’s not Jackson singing the song–it’s Ron Warner):

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for more, including Keith Urban’s, or check out the Top 10 Celebrity Homes of 2010.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile January 7, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I love the outside of this home. It’s really beautiful. But the inside is just too overdone for me. But I guess when you have that much space, you have to fill it up! It would be interesting to see what the next owner does with it.
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..More from IKEA: New stuff for your kids =-.

Robin January 7, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Too. Much. Beige.

Why are people so afraid of color?

To heck with the house, I want the little log cabin! With the retro kitchen appliances!
.-= Robin´s last blog ..Merry Merry and Happy New Year! =-.

Debkb January 7, 2010 at 11:34 pm

While Sweetbriar isn’t my taste it is a gorgeous house and property.

Just an FYI the video for House of No Curtains does contain pics of Alan and Sweetbriar that is NOT Alan singing!

hookedonhouses January 8, 2010 at 7:54 am

Debkb–
You’re right. I think, based on the note at the beginning of the video, that the singer is someone named Ron Warner. Apparently he put the video together, too. Thanks! -Julia

Beth at Aunties January 7, 2010 at 11:57 pm

It would be a gorgeous Hotel!!! For about 100 occupants!:) The outside is fabulous and then so is the inside. JUST SO LARGE! We have a hard time hearing what the other person is saying in the next room in our home, Can you imagine in their home what it would be like? You would have to take along a walkie talkie to converse. I will take cozy and comfortable any day:)
.-= Beth at Aunties´s last blog ..Yum, Chocolate Pudding Cake made with ‘ The Light Version’! =-.

Kim January 8, 2010 at 12:58 am

Wow that house is way too big. I wouldn’t know what to do with all of that space if I owned it. The house is much nicer then most celebrity homes I have seen though.

pk @ Room Remix January 8, 2010 at 7:35 am

That is one big house! I think no matter how wealthy I was I would still want a realistically sized home that felt a little more cozy and homey.
.-= pk @ Room Remix´s last blog ..Creative Decorating Ideas – 5 =-.

Nate @ LaurelStreet January 8, 2010 at 7:50 am

Wow. I do admire the facade – it’s very handsome. The house is huge but the architects did a very good job keeping the exterior elements to a human scale.

It’s clearly an over-indulgence, but the house’s fit and finish is beautiful. Many residential architects would totally lose their sense of the whole designing a project of this size.

But I think you’re right Julia – they probably just realized that something of this size can only ever be just a house – it’s hard to call something so massive a home. Unless you’re a Medici.
.-= Nate @ LaurelStreet´s last blog ..Buyer’s Remorse & Serial Decorating =-.

laney January 8, 2010 at 8:09 am

…down here in ga alan jackson is known not only for his music…but for his very big heart…one as big as this house…he does many many good things for children …he has built and maintains a home for children and teens who are in need …not only of physical shelter …but of love…and isn’t that what home is really all about…

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints January 8, 2010 at 9:34 am

Wow opulent is the word that comes to mind. I agree though it’s like a hotel…too large, not cozy and homey at all. My best friend is going to dinner tonight at Garth Brookes and Trisha Yearwood’s house tonight:o Her husband works for a hearing aid foundation and they were invited to dinner with a bunch of professional baseball players. Apparently he has a son with a hearing deficit. Isn’t that the coolest though. I begged her to take a camera. I would be sneaking pics left and right;)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Custom tree give-away!!! =-.

Mike January 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

Holy Crap! You’d need those FRS walki-talkies just to have a conversation in this house! :-)

Kidding aside, it’ really is just too big. It would make a fantastic private lakeside resort though, wouldn’t it?

Christi at A Southern Life January 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

The view of the home from the grounds if gorgeous. I understand why they would want to downsize but it was fun to see.
.-= Christi at A Southern Life´s last blog ..Southern Freeze! =-.

greenie January 8, 2010 at 11:23 am

Never thought I would say this, but too many windows! Do the owners have to hire a full-time window washer? Turn it into a hotel or B&B.

Amanda @ Serenity Now January 8, 2010 at 11:34 am

I agree with “greenie.” A B&B is a great idea. Franklin is not too far from T’s extended family. They have a large home, but nowhere near 19,000 square feet! This would mean the end of the 4 of us getting crammed in a guest room at Thanksgiving. ;) I’m all for the B&B! ;)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Guest Post: Meal Planning for Dummies =-.

desiree January 8, 2010 at 11:34 am

That is just beautiful but way to much to keep clean! I’d never do anything else but clean…yuck!
.-= desiree´s last blog ..Darned House:Stained Glass Adds Drama to Remodel =-.

Vicki January 8, 2010 at 11:35 am

It is a beautiful house but definitely too big. I agree that it would make a great hotel / B&B. =)
.-= Vicki´s last blog ..Get a new "In The Sandbox" comic emailed to you Monday-Friday! =-.

aubrey January 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Wow. That whole place is unbelievable. Going through the pictures, I kept thinking it was nearing the end and then they were showing yet another structure. They really held back and were super frugal weren’t they? ;) And I think it’s pretty safe to say that my house would fit in their 2-story family room–fit with a lot of room to spare.
.-= aubrey´s last blog ..Antibacterial Soap =-.

Rachel January 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm

It’s beautiful but maids would definitely be required. :) Thanks for posting it.
.-= Rachel´s last blog ..Christmas Update =-.

Beckie January 8, 2010 at 3:29 pm

His previous house was pretty good size. They built this house when the real estate market was on the way up here & for privacy. I imagine they wish they had the old house. It was about 4k + sq feet & a few acres, but a subdivision built up around. Got a great price for it.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Lisa January 8, 2010 at 9:42 pm

and he seems like such a simple guy. Who would have thought the inside would look that that.

Norma January 8, 2010 at 10:04 pm

This house is beautiful on the outside. But way too big on the inside. I wonder how many maids they have to clean this house. Too much. Thanks for the great pictures Julia.

Nita Hiltner January 9, 2010 at 1:16 am

I can’t find the place to click about the house on Monday, but I vote Mr. Mom!!! It was my dream house for years!!!!! I think it’s a real one too, maybe in Detroit or near there?

Pat January 9, 2010 at 10:07 am

Yes, it’s veerrrryyy large! But, I wouldn’t mind living there for a little while…just to see what it feels like!
I think the grounds are just so beautiful, that’s what really works for me.
.-= Pat´s last blog ..FRIDAY FAVorite =-.

rue January 9, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Well, to start off Ron Warner is no Alan Jackson in the singing department ;)

That house looks about as much like Tara as my house does! Do you think they’ve seen the movie?? LOL

Oh and by downsizing, do they mean getting a divorce? He doesn’t exactly have a history of monogamy.

Anyway, too big for me!

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..Once in a while… =-.

Sandy January 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for sharing Alan’s home with us! It is a beautiful home and he deserves it. Alan Jackson is one of my favorite singers – I love his song “Let It Be Christmas”! And he wrote it too. They probably realize that as one ages it gets harder and harder to keep up a home and that one must cost $$$$$. I like the decor – I think it is tastefully done. I’d like to see the home they downsize to.

Teacup Lane (Sandy)
.-= Sandy´s last blog ..FYI – Computer Updates! =-.

Laurie Jones January 9, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I agree with most of the comments, too big and too big beige but at the same time extremely beautiful. My comment doesn’t seem to make any sense!!
.-= Laurie Jones´s last blog ..ZGallerie =-.

Sher Miller January 9, 2010 at 2:58 pm

It’s kind of masculine mixed with Victorian. Sort of “the Cartwrights do Queen Victoria” – without the sex, of course. The interior leaves me feeling confused. :\
.-= Sher Miller´s last blog ..Christmas at Our Home: The Unabridged Edition =-.

Aprons Gone Wild January 9, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Hi Julia,
You featured the home of one of my husband’s all time favorite country artists. But…he was left with his jaw dropping when he saw where the country boy hangs his hat. What a place! As beautiful as the main house is, I loved the little guest cottage best. Guess I’m a simple girl at heart.
As always, thanks for your wonderful photos and terrific features. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll do next.
Joanne
.-= Aprons Gone Wild´s last blog ..Southwest Turquoise Beaded Halter Top Gone Wild in Amy Butler Kashmir Fabric =-.

Michelle January 9, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Hmmm….that is one big….space. I just don’t see how I would feel cozy in a place like that. I can’t imagine how much it costs to hire cleaning people! I wonder what their next home will be like, how much smaller it will be.
~Michelle
.-= Michelle´s last blog ..The one that got away =-.

Paula Grace January 10, 2010 at 3:12 am

Wow, that is quite the spread! I think the room could have been designed to be cozier with zones. It does resemble a hotel. I bet with some help it could be a fabulous B&B!
Paula Grace
.-= Paula Grace´s last blog ..Idols Revisited =-.

Mom in High Heels January 10, 2010 at 7:47 am

It’s MASSIVE! I love the exterior and the grounds, but it’s just too…much. I wouldn’t mind living in the barn looking building on the grounds, but the main house would have to be used for a hotel.
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..A How NOT To =-.

Jessica January 10, 2010 at 11:00 am

I have never been blown away by a house before, until now!! Oh my that was HUGE and Beautiful! I could never live in a place that size, but it sure was pretty to look at, maybe even visit. I can’t believe that have all of those buildings on their property. Way to much to keep up with. Wow. All I can say is Wow. Thanks for sharing!

Charlotte January 10, 2010 at 11:54 am

Wow $38 million is a tad bit excessive! Alan Jackson could have bought an entire state of VT for that price tag. I’m just thankful that I don’t have to pay the taxes on that pretty baby…thanks for sharing.
.-= Charlotte´s last blog ..What’s for dinner? =-.

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries January 10, 2010 at 12:47 pm

That could be turned into a fantastic bed and breakfast! The space is great, although not nearly enough color for my taste.

Julia, I linked to your blog in my post today. But I think you already know your blog is one of my favorites!
.-= Kristen @ More Than Mulberries´s last blog ..Model Home Stalker =-.

Kathy :) January 10, 2010 at 8:20 pm

WOW what a house… I love his voice…never in a 38 zillion years would I have thought he would be that ostentatious….. too big a house for me but I could tough it out… lol

All the best Julia,
Kathy :)

Jen @ After The Alter January 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more beautiful house! Its like a fancy hotel all to yourself! I can only imagine the staff it takes to keep that place clean! lol but I think it’s amazing…now I’m jealous..great! lol
.-= Jen @ After The Alter´s last blog ..Wifey 101: Messing With His Manhood =-.

casacullen January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm

this house is BEYOND pimp…RIDIC! we would totally get lost in it…i’ll take my lil’ 2600 sq ft ANYDAY! hahaha! jk, it’s amazing!
.-= casacullen´s last blog ..Gadget Love: $2 Milk Frother from IKEA =-.

keri January 13, 2010 at 9:59 am

the outside of the home is absolutely gorgeous!

Home January 28, 2010 at 3:07 am

Yes, this one is very lovely from jackson. Really great to look at! Thanks so much for posting this one!

Makennah May 11, 2010 at 10:22 am

If anything, the outside looks more like Tara than the inside.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com July 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Wow! And what a fitting name.
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com´s last blog ..Contest- Superhero Needed =-.

Catherine November 6, 2010 at 11:21 am

I’ve been to Franklin, TN. It’s an exquisite and very old community about 30-40 minutes south of Nashville. Sweetbriar would make an EXQUISITE hotel, bed-and-breakfast, or vacation resort! You know, I’d be happy to be the nanny for whoever owns this place, and live in either the stable quarters, the guest hosue, or even the log cabin! I’m packing my bags as I type!!!!!

OMG…a recessed tramoline! WHAT A PHENOMENAL IDEA!!!
.-= Catherine´s last blog ..Coffee Flavored Coffee =-.

Maaike Quinn January 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

It’s a hotel indeed. But seriously, I don’t easily judge, but 38 million for a house? This is nuts.
.-= Maaike Quinn´s last blog ..What is FlyLady Bingo =-.

Alycia January 5, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Julia, Did you ever see the post I did on Alan Jackson’s home (http://e-decorating.com/alan-jacksons-crib/) ? I thought it was pretty funny, if I do say so myself.
.-= Alycia´s last blog ..Windows have been Dressed =-.

{ 1 trackback }