Billie Jo Armstrong’s Rockin’ $4.85 Million House

by hookedonhouses on November 11, 2009

Billie Jo Armstrong-Green Day photo

When you see Billie Jo Armstrong, the lead singer of the Grammy Award-winning rock band Green Day (that’s him in the middle), what kind of house do you imagine him living in? Is it anything like this?

Green Day house-exterior

Billie Jo Armstrong house-staircase

I guess I was expecting something a little more rock ‘n roll. Or at least a little more “Entourage.” But there’s not a stripper pole in sight! It actually looks like a nice, comfortable family home.

Love the ceilings in the kitchen:

Green Day house-kitchen

According to SF Gate, Armstrong’s 5-bedroom, 4.5-bath Mediterranean-style home in Upper Rockridge (California), and is on the market for $4.85 million.

Billie Jo Armstrong house-kitchen table

Green Day-living room

Not sure about these pointy chairs. Or the pointy light fixture that goes with them:

Billie Jo Armstrong bedroom

The house is beautifully staged and photographed, but I can’t help wondering why the photographer didn’t have someone fix all of the window treatments that were slightly askew.

Green Day fireplace

Even if you don’t think you know who Billie Armstrong and Green Day are, I bet you’ve heard their latest hit “21 Guns,” from their album 21st Century Breakdown. If you turn on the radio right now, there’s a good chance it’ll be playing.

Interestingly, The Real Estalker recently mentioned this listing and the photos were different than the ones I found. Looks like the house has been whitewashed and staged to sell:

Billie Jo Armstrong house-staged

My guess is that they moved most of their own things out and brought in furniture to keep it from looking too empty. The window treatments are all a lot lighter, too.

Do you like it better before or after?

Green Day house-pool

SF Gate has more photos and all the scoop about the house. Big thanks to Jennifer S., a reader who sent me these photos. She says, “An interesting detail about this house is that the site of it was located in the 1991 firestorm.  It burned a Julia Morgan-designed home, and this house was built in its place.”

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to all the famous homes I’ve featured. Most popular this week: Mel Gibson and Madonna.

lotus bowlsDo you know about Solstice Home?

It’s an Etsy shop where you can find fun vintage items for your home. I’m loving this lotus-bowl set (only $8!). I’m excited to have Solstice Home as one of my newest sponsors and hope you’ll pay the shop a visit!

Amanda @ Serenity Now November 11, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I really like the island in the kitchen….it’s so spacious! Must be great for parties. Definitely not what I would have expected from Green Day.
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Ruffle Bottom =-.

Claire November 11, 2009 at 5:26 pm

It’s a cute house. I certainly wouldn’t turn it down. I think he had already moved out when the first set of photos was taken, or maybe he never lived there much, because, as nice as it is, it doesn’t have much personality. Even though the second set has been staged, and the photos are better quality (more in focus with better lighting) I like the first set. I like all the red. The second set is even more bland than the first, although I guess that’s the point; you’re supposed to be able to imagine the house with your own stuff in it better. I wonder how it would look with my Ikea furniture?

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage November 11, 2009 at 5:31 pm

That is so cool! I love that you featured his home. I’m a little surprised with his house but I think he’s actually a pretty normal guy (my dorky rock n’ roll obsession is showing, huh). He has a teenage son and is married (I think). Beautiful home!
.-= AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage´s last blog ..Giveaway!!! =-.

Rachel November 11, 2009 at 5:37 pm

I used to listen to Green Day when I was in college. I have just a couple interesting stories involving Green Day songs. :) That house is beautiful though.
.-= Rachel´s last blog ..Happy Birthday AJ! =-.

Dawn November 11, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I’ve heard of the group and might recognize the song you mentioned but I don’t listen to the radio that much – mostly my CDs when I’m in my car. I’m mostly stuck on my favorite oldies music from the 70′s and 80′s like Journey.

I love the house – both “before” and “after” pics. I don’t know if the “before” was really the way he had it when he was living there but, if so, it’s impressive and classy.

What a great kitchen and beautiful view of the family room.

Tracy November 11, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Beautiful home. Love the kitchen and all those angles in the bedroom. And I definitely like the colorful, lived-in version better… tho I agree with you about the window treatments… underdone AND askew. Love Green Day. Funny how we imagine that rockers aren’t regular people when they’re at home… but I’ll bet most of them are. Think Gene Simmons and Alice Cooper… crazy scary on stage, surprisingly normal off! And both with beautiful homes.
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..Veterans Day, Collected Images =-.

Jocelyn Stott November 11, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Nice home! I like it before, for sure.
.-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..Auction Fun =-.

Abbie November 11, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Not at all what I’d expect, but WAY better with their colorful stuff in it! The staged stuff just says blehbleh.
.-= Abbie´s last blog ..And the wall(paper) came tumbling down. =-.

Trisha November 11, 2009 at 8:21 pm

While I don’t have too many blog followers myself, I like sharing some of my favorite bloggy things with the followers I do have. I thought you’d like to know that your blog is admired! I just wrote a little something about what I love about your blog here:

Thanks for keeping it interesting!
-Trisha
.-= Trisha´s last blog ..Hooked on Houses, bad photos, and pets on furniture =-.

MaryBeth November 11, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Love the before, I was hoping someone might know about the living room red rug, I would love to have one just like it. Any help??? MB

anna see November 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm

i like the before better. much warmer. i am such a geek regarding music. i would not have known who that was if you hadn’t told me.
.-= anna see´s last blog ..A Way with Words =-.

Carmen November 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I liked the before better. Definitely not what I would expect either. I guess more rockish. Is that a word? I love the house! It’s BEAUTIFUL! I would totally love to live there.
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Never used to be much of a crafty gal =-.

greenie November 11, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Looks like his Mom decorated it–bleh. I can’t really say I’m blown away by either version of this house. Kind of looks like a McMansion to me. Sorry to be so negative…

Amy November 11, 2009 at 11:36 pm

That is really surprising. I wouldn’t have put a guy like that in that style house. I actually like it staged better and the blinds and curtains askew were bugging me too. I really like this house.
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Apple Down =-.

mishelle November 12, 2009 at 3:23 am

After.
.-= mishelle´s last blog ..I love Mackenzie Childs! =-.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish November 12, 2009 at 7:47 am

I think I like the first set best. But it is not what I would have expected. I would have thought that he would have had a more modern look.

BTW – thanks for stopping by the other day!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Bad Day Necessities =-.

Janet November 12, 2009 at 8:03 am

Of course the house looks normal and comfortable! Most people who are successful and not just a flash in the pan achieve that success with a certain level of basic intelligence. The bad hair and even worse eyeliner gives that “hipper than thou” air that is necessary to separate all the disaffected suburban youth from Mom and Dad’s money.

Deborah Milne November 12, 2009 at 8:59 am

Fun post. Must be the minimalist in me but prefer the staged look. Such a pretty home. Totally not what you’d think would appeal to rockin’ Billie, with all his eyeliner. Love him & love this home. Thanks Julia!

j November 12, 2009 at 9:28 am

I prefer the staged look also. The pre-staged look is somewhat frumpy and doesn’t seem very cohesive. But then I’ve been in my house for 2 years now and have only painted 1 wall, so maybe I too am a minimalist. (Sounds better than lazy!)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions November 12, 2009 at 9:33 am

You’re right ~ not what I expected, but I like it!

Heather November 12, 2009 at 10:12 am

I would NEVER have pictured him living there in a million years! It’s a lovely home though!

Celebrity Digs HQ November 12, 2009 at 10:42 am

“After” is definitely better! Like you, we tend to go easy on celebrities who create happy homes filled with things that have meaning and give them joy, even if we don’t care for the decor. But, when it comes to putting a home up for sale, you gotta do what you gotta do! We didn’t even notice the beautiful fireplace in the living room until after it was staged!

Green Day still rules!
.-= Celebrity Digs HQ´s last blog ..Can You Guess Who Owns This House? =-.

jennifer November 12, 2009 at 10:54 am

Thanks so much for posting this!!! I LOVE Billie and I’ve LOVED Green Day ever since I was a teenager! Took my 8 year old son to see them at Madison Square Garden this summer and Billie Joe walked up the aisle (during “do you know your enemy”) pulled my son out and told him to play his guituar…I was flabbergasted!!!!!! He is alot more down to earth than people realize and now seeing his home, even more so!
.-= jennifer´s last blog ..Better late than never! =-.

desiree November 12, 2009 at 11:43 am

Love Green Day and the home! I prefer it before. It felt like a family home…very warm and inviting. The Rockridge area is gorgeous.
.-= desiree´s last blog ..Jose’s Tabletop Decor Inspired by Chinese Take-out =-.

Blakely November 12, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I like this home a lot. It isn’t anything I would expect from someone in Green Day! I just figured their house would have more of an edge and not be so generic.
.-= Blakely´s last blog ..Filled Boxes =-.

Vicki November 12, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I want that kitchen!! The house is gorgeous. My husband (before we got married) used to live in in the Oakland/Berkeley hills close to this house. It is a beautiful area.
.-= Vicki´s last blog ..Remembering the details =-.

devil November 12, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Hmmm…I like it better after the staging. Looks cleaner and neater.

Although I don’t care for the McMansion-y stainless steel appliances and granite countertops, I LOVE the floors. Ever notice how the more expensive homes never have carpeting?

Laura November 12, 2009 at 7:45 pm

love it before the whitewash! And yes is you know him he is low key.

laura @ the shorehouse November 13, 2009 at 3:02 am

Well look at Billie Jo…all tasteful! That is pretty funny about the curtains…in every room!…not sure I would have caught it without you mentioning but now it’s all I see.
.-= laura @ the shorehouse´s last blog ..Tea for two. Or more. =-.

Jane @ Beach House November 14, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Before for sure but even then it could have done with a dollop of fabulous
.-= Jane @ Beach House´s last blog ..Santa Monica Evening =-.

rue November 17, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Hi Julia :)

I like the before, because it has a personality, even if it was designed to look like it. As far as not what you expected.. Alice Cooper plays golf, so I never know what to expect LOL

On a side note, I think Rich looks like him and I keep trying to get him to wear make up so I can take a picture, but so far it’s a no go LOL

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..Birthday trip~ part two =-.

Jeff Starship June 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm

well….I was having a nice day till I saw this…and to think, I am 12 times the guitar player that BillieGoat Asshole is…I guess I just refuse to write radio friendly pseudo-punk for 14 year old girls…too bad Green Day is a turd that The Ramones shat out…and none of them ever had a house this nice…Oi Oi Oi Punk!

{ 1 trackback }