Billie Joe Armstrong’s Rockin’ $4.85 Million House

Billie Jo Armstrong-Green Day photo

When you see Billie Joe Armstrong, the lead singer of the Grammy Award-winning rock band Green Day (that’s him in the middle), what kind of house do you imagine him living in? Is it anything like this?

Green Day house-exterior

Billie Jo Armstrong house-staircase

I guess I was expecting something a little more rock ‘n roll. Or at least a little more “Entourage.” But there’s not a stripper pole in sight! It actually looks like a nice, comfortable family home.

Love the ceilings in the kitchen:

Green Day house-kitchen

According to SF Gate, Armstrong’s 5-bedroom, 4.5-bath Mediterranean-style home in Upper Rockridge (California), and is on the market for $4.85 million.

Billie Jo Armstrong house-kitchen table

Green Day-living room

Not sure about these pointy chairs. Or the pointy light fixture that goes with them:

Billie Jo Armstrong bedroom

The house is beautifully staged and photographed, but I can’t help wondering why the photographer didn’t have someone fix all of the window treatments that were slightly askew.

Green Day fireplace

The Real Estalker recently mentioned this listing and the photos were different than the ones I found. Looks like the house has been whitewashed and staged to sell:

Billie Jo Armstrong house-staged

My guess is that they moved most of their own things out and brought in furniture to keep it from looking too empty. The window treatments are all a lot lighter, too.

Do you like it better before or after?

Green Day house-pool

SF Gate has more photos and all the scoop about the house. Big thanks to Jennifer, a reader who sent me these photos. She says, “An interesting detail about this house is that the site of it was located in the 1991 firestorm.  It burned a Julia Morgan-designed home, and this house was built in its place.”

Comments

1. Claire says

It’s a cute house. I certainly wouldn’t turn it down. I think he had already moved out when the first set of photos was taken, or maybe he never lived there much, because, as nice as it is, it doesn’t have much personality. Even though the second set has been staged, and the photos are better quality (more in focus with better lighting) I like the first set. I like all the red. The second set is even more bland than the first, although I guess that’s the point; you’re supposed to be able to imagine the house with your own stuff in it better. I wonder how it would look with my Ikea furniture?

That is so cool! I love that you featured his home. I’m a little surprised with his house but I think he’s actually a pretty normal guy (my dorky rock n’ roll obsession is showing, huh). He has a teenage son and is married (I think). Beautiful home!
    .-= AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage´s last blog ..Giveaway!!! =-.

I used to listen to Green Day when I was in college. I have just a couple interesting stories involving Green Day songs. :) That house is beautiful though.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Happy Birthday AJ! =-.

4. Dawn says

I’ve heard of the group and might recognize the song you mentioned but I don’t listen to the radio that much – mostly my CDs when I’m in my car. I’m mostly stuck on my favorite oldies music from the 70’s and 80’s like Journey.

I love the house – both “before” and “after” pics. I don’t know if the “before” was really the way he had it when he was living there but, if so, it’s impressive and classy.

What a great kitchen and beautiful view of the family room.

Beautiful home. Love the kitchen and all those angles in the bedroom. And I definitely like the colorful, lived-in version better… tho I agree with you about the window treatments… underdone AND askew. Love Green Day. Funny how we imagine that rockers aren’t regular people when they’re at home… but I’ll bet most of them are. Think Gene Simmons and Alice Cooper… crazy scary on stage, surprisingly normal off! And both with beautiful homes.
    .-= Tracy´s last blog ..Veterans Day, Collected Images =-.

6. MaryBeth says

Love the before, I was hoping someone might know about the living room red rug, I would love to have one just like it. Any help??? MB

7. greenie says

Looks like his Mom decorated it–bleh. I can’t really say I’m blown away by either version of this house. Kind of looks like a McMansion to me. Sorry to be so negative…

That is really surprising. I wouldn’t have put a guy like that in that style house. I actually like it staged better and the blinds and curtains askew were bugging me too. I really like this house.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Apple Down =-.

9. Janet says

Of course the house looks normal and comfortable! Most people who are successful and not just a flash in the pan achieve that success with a certain level of basic intelligence. The bad hair and even worse eyeliner gives that “hipper than thou” air that is necessary to separate all the disaffected suburban youth from Mom and Dad’s money.

Fun post. Must be the minimalist in me but prefer the staged look. Such a pretty home. Totally not what you’d think would appeal to rockin’ Billie, with all his eyeliner. Love him & love this home. Thanks Julia!

11. j says

I prefer the staged look also. The pre-staged look is somewhat frumpy and doesn’t seem very cohesive. But then I’ve been in my house for 2 years now and have only painted 1 wall, so maybe I too am a minimalist. (Sounds better than lazy!)

“After” is definitely better! Like you, we tend to go easy on celebrities who create happy homes filled with things that have meaning and give them joy, even if we don’t care for the decor. But, when it comes to putting a home up for sale, you gotta do what you gotta do! We didn’t even notice the beautiful fireplace in the living room until after it was staged!

Green Day still rules!
    .-= Celebrity Digs HQ´s last blog ..Can You Guess Who Owns This House? =-.

Thanks so much for posting this!!! I LOVE Billie and I’ve LOVED Green Day ever since I was a teenager! Took my 8 year old son to see them at Madison Square Garden this summer and Billie Joe walked up the aisle (during “do you know your enemy”) pulled my son out and told him to play his guituar…I was flabbergasted!!!!!! He is alot more down to earth than people realize and now seeing his home, even more so!
    .-= jennifer´s last blog ..Better late than never! =-.

I like this home a lot. It isn’t anything I would expect from someone in Green Day! I just figured their house would have more of an edge and not be so generic.
    .-= Blakely´s last blog ..Filled Boxes =-.

I want that kitchen!! The house is gorgeous. My husband (before we got married) used to live in in the Oakland/Berkeley hills close to this house. It is a beautiful area.
    .-= Vicki´s last blog ..Remembering the details =-.

16. devil says

Hmmm…I like it better after the staging. Looks cleaner and neater.

Although I don’t care for the McMansion-y stainless steel appliances and granite countertops, I LOVE the floors. Ever notice how the more expensive homes never have carpeting?

17. Laura says

love it before the whitewash! And yes is you know him he is low key.

Hi Julia :)

I like the before, because it has a personality, even if it was designed to look like it. As far as not what you expected.. Alice Cooper plays golf, so I never know what to expect LOL

On a side note, I think Rich looks like him and I keep trying to get him to wear make up so I can take a picture, but so far it’s a no go LOL

rue
    .-= rue´s last blog ..Birthday trip~ part two =-.

19. Jeff Starship says

well….I was having a nice day till I saw this…and to think, I am 12 times the guitar player that BillieGoat Asshole is…I guess I just refuse to write radio friendly pseudo-punk for 14 year old girls…too bad Green Day is a turd that The Ramones shat out…and none of them ever had a house this nice…Oi Oi Oi Punk!