Tony Curtis & Janet Leigh’s House in Palm Springs

tony-curtis-janet-leigh-kids-1959-life

Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh were one of Hollywood’s Golden Couples in the 1950s and early ’60s. Who could forget Tony Curtis in movies like Some Like It Hot (a personal favorite of mine), or Janet Leigh in Psycho? This old Life magazine photo was taken of them in 1959 at home with their daughters Kelly and Jamie Lee.

The contemporary California home they lived in–which they nicknamed “Camp Curtis”–is on the market for $1.295 million.

According to the listing by Marc Lange of Capitis Real Estate, the 3,204 square-foot house is in the Movie Colony neighborhood of Palm Springs. There are 5 bedrooms and 5 baths.

I was asked to remove the photos but you can still see them at the LA Times

Go to Celebrity Houses to see more famous houses. Most popular this week: Rachel Zoe and Coco Chanel.

Actress Sienna Miller has put her 2 bedroom, 2 bath house in London on the market for £995,000 (roughly $1.5 million). I'm not sure what…
Fashion designer Tom Ford's sleek and contemporary townhouse in Chelsea, London, is on the market for £8.5 million (which converts to about $13 million U.S.…

Comments

gee I can just imagine living there, in those days, the sunny weather, cocktails, glamour, wow… they must have had such a great life (most of the time!) and lived the life we can only dream about now… I;m also a huge fan of Jamie Lee-Curtis, I thought she was amazing in A Fish Called Wanda… just amazing…
    .-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Glorious East Malvern Treasure =-.

Not that I have $1.295 million to spend on a house in a state I don’t live in, but this actually seems reasonable and attainable. Comparing this to Billy Joel’s $18M Hamptons house that sort of left me cold — no comparison. This is actually really pretty and classy and, for a Hollywood house, a size that isn’t ridiculous. I wonder if the signed photos of Tony and Janet come with the house??
    .-= Slowish Food´s last blog ..Bake-Through Entry 1: Barcelona Brownies =-.

Beautiful home…though as nice as it is inside, it would be nearly impossible for me to leave that back yard! I like how they have a tasteful amount Tony and Janet memorabilia to honor the previous owners.
    .-= bungalowbliss´s last blog ..No More Black Sheep =-.

4. Mike says

This house is just gorgeous. I have to agree with Slowish Food as well – the price of this is pretty reasonable. It’s so tastefully decorated, and very understated I think. I love the kitchen! Maybe when J and I win the MegaMillions jackpot we’ll go get a place in Palm Springs. 😉

Love the way the photographer captured the beautiful lighting at the back of the house. Beautiful to see the colors of the home at night. The lighting at night allows you to see the great bones and colors of the home! If I owned this home, I’d enjoy having a glass of wine in one of those lounger chairs! Thanks for sharing Julia!

6. greenie says

OMG OMG OMG! I LOVE this house! If I ever set foot in Palm Springs, I would probably have a heart attack. I flip over every home I’ve ever seen featured in that area. And the prices don’t seem crazy outrageous compared to others.
    The architecture of these houses fits perfectly within the landscape. I can’t imagine anything else! BEE-U-TEE-FULL!!

7. Jackie W. says

Spent 5 days in PS in early Oct. I am ready to go back. Miss the Palm trees & sun. Kansas has been dreary all month.

There is only one Sonic in the area, but one can find a golf cart dealership on every corner.

Lots of retired people.

Though far from my favorite architectural style, those desert houses are all about the landscape and do possess an undeniable coolness. And how could you not love that pool area?… all that water and sky and the wall of glass? So great.
    .-= Tracy´s last blog ..She Has Plans for You =-.

LOVE Palm Springs… Love the low key front exterior, all the outdoor living is done in the back. Great home and what a deal…actually a great price for the area.
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..Visual Interest =-.

I don’t particularly care for the exterior front (makes me think of a park bathroom), but I quite like the interior. And the patio/pool/backyard is spectacular! I agree that the price seems almost reasonable!
    .-= Holly´s last blog ..Recycled Wool Sweater Becomes Tote Bag =-.

One of my favorite places on earth! I have view many homes around the Movie Colony, including Steve McQueen’s. The owners have maintained the mid-century vibe w/o mucking it up. A beautiful home. The views of the St. Jacinto are always stunning. Thanks for posting Julia, great fun!

Have a fabulous Friday ~

12. KathyM says

I love this house! So peaceful, yet with fun pops of color. The yard and pool are so beautiful, I don’t think I would ever want to leave them. Even in it’s beauty, it looks family friendly. Love it! and I love your blog!

13. MaryBeth says

While I do not like modern type homes, there is something about this house that I just like. Thanks for the pictures. MB

As someone in real estate, this site totally appeases the voyeur in me. I just spent 3 hours looking at the houses you have spotlighted. Hopefully my boss doesn’t know…..nnd if he does – so what? I’ll be back tomorrow anyway.

I’m officially hooked.

.-= Deb´s last blog ..My "first" little girl….. =-.

15. devil says

This is my favorite of any and all houses I’ve ever seen on this blog. I LOVE the desert (I live near PS). And one-story homes are the best.

All I’d need to do is get rid of the granite countertops (they’re already outdated and not classic) and the carpet (I hate carpet of any kind) and I’d move in right away.

I’ve always enjoyed the stories Jamie Lee Curtis told about her mother. Sounds like they had a great relationship.

16. Kathy :) says

Normally I don’t go for this type house….but I have to say I LOVE it Julia…I also love all the old time movie stars….this house makes me think of a house Frank Sinatra owned I think it was in Vegas, don’t quote me on that though…

Do you remember True Lies with Jamie Lee and Arnold (Gov of CA not even gonna try and spell his last name LOL) loved that movie !!! That has to be 10 years ago….did you see it???

Have a great week-end,
    Kathy :)

I love homes with sliding doors straight out to the pool. Every time I visit over here, I also wish my husband wasn’t so set against open plan living. I love it, despite the clashing noises the kids make with TV, music and games.

Married at 14?! My daughter can barely cope with teenage life as a school kid!
    .-= janice´s last blog ..Clutter: What are You Really Holding Onto…and Why? =-.

Ha! Didn’t know you’d blogged the house. I knew it was for sale so I drove by it on my Palm Springs MCM trip. It’s fabulous but I hate the countertops in the kitchen and bath – granite doesn’t always say “luxury” and here, especially with the rounded edges, it’s at odds with mid-century style
    .-= Jane @ Beach House´s last blog ..Desert Modern =-.

That is such a beautiful home. Not usually my style but I could deal with this one without a doubt. Do you know I totally forgot Janet Leigh passed away!!!!!! I had to read that over again three times. It’s sad that the true glamour of Hollywood is dwindling away.

What a gorgeous home both in and out. And that view outside at dusk…is just stunning. I would love to live here. It’s the best Hollywood couple home I’ve ever seen – a home that is inviting and comfortable and a reasonable size to live in. Thanks for sharing. We will miss you Tony! So sad all the great actors are dying off.
    .-= Teacup Lane´s last blog ..Holy Cow – Its October 1st! =-.

21. sex toys says

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for newbie blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.