Tony Curtis & Janet Leigh’s House in Palm Springs

by hookedonhouses on October 15, 2009

tony-curtis-janet-leigh-kids-1959-life

Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh were one of Hollywood’s Golden Couples in the 1950s and early ’60s. Who could forget Tony Curtis in movies like Some Like It Hot (a personal favorite of mine), or Janet Leigh in Psycho? This old Life magazine photo was taken of them in 1959 at home with their daughters Kelly and Jamie Lee. The contemporary California home they lived in–which they nicknamed “Camp Curtis”–is on the market for $1.295 million.

According to the listing by Marc Lange of Capitis Real Estate, the 3,204 square-foot house is in the Movie Colony neighborhood of Palm Springs. There are 5 bedrooms and 5 baths.

Tony Curtis was born Bernard Schwartz. Janet Leigh was born Jeanette Morrison. Bernard Schwartz and Jeannette Morrison don’t have quite the same ring as Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh, do they?

Tony Curtis was Janet’s third husband. She married her first husband when she was only 14 (!). Curtis left Janet in 1962 for a 17-year old German actress named Christine Kaufmann.

Janet Leigh died in 2004 at the age of 77. Tony Curtis is now in his 80s and married to his 5th wife.

Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh’s daughter Jamie Lee Curtis is an actor, photographer, and a children’s author.

Sorry, but I was asked to remove the photos. For more photos and information, check out this article from the LA Times or see the real estate listing

Go to Celebrity Houses to see more famous houses. Most popular this week: Rachel Zoe and Coco Chanel.

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 15, 2009 at 7:30 am

Wow! Neat house, Julia. :) I actually really like this one, and my tastes are pretty traditional. I would LOVE to sit out by that pool. “Some Like it Hot” is one of my faves…had no idea Tony Curtis is in his 80s. He’s younger than my Nannie (98). :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Are You Feelin’ Hot Hot Hot? {A Birthday Bonfire} =-.

Trish@TheOldPostRoad October 15, 2009 at 7:40 am

As much as I don’t like that style – that house is actually quite pretty. I LOVE the wicker chairs in the den towards the end of the photos.
.-= Trish@TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..White (with a little Blue) =-.

Annie@A View on Design October 15, 2009 at 7:55 am

gee I can just imagine living there, in those days, the sunny weather, cocktails, glamour, wow… they must have had such a great life (most of the time!) and lived the life we can only dream about now… I;m also a huge fan of Jamie Lee-Curtis, I thought she was amazing in A Fish Called Wanda… just amazing…
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Glorious East Malvern Treasure =-.

Carmen October 15, 2009 at 8:12 am

It’s gorgeous!!!! The view is FABULOUS! I never realized who Jamie Lee Curtis’ parents were. Duh.
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Candlelight Magic =-.

Slowish Food October 15, 2009 at 8:32 am

Not that I have $1.295 million to spend on a house in a state I don’t live in, but this actually seems reasonable and attainable. Comparing this to Billy Joel’s $18M Hamptons house that sort of left me cold — no comparison. This is actually really pretty and classy and, for a Hollywood house, a size that isn’t ridiculous. I wonder if the signed photos of Tony and Janet come with the house??
.-= Slowish Food´s last blog ..Bake-Through Entry 1: Barcelona Brownies =-.

Sarah October 15, 2009 at 8:50 am

Not my style, but very cool. I could def hang by that pool!
.-= Sarah´s last blog ..textile tuesday! =-.

bungalowbliss October 15, 2009 at 9:14 am

Beautiful home…though as nice as it is inside, it would be nearly impossible for me to leave that back yard! I like how they have a tasteful amount Tony and Janet memorabilia to honor the previous owners.
.-= bungalowbliss´s last blog ..No More Black Sheep =-.

Mike October 15, 2009 at 9:53 am

This house is just gorgeous. I have to agree with Slowish Food as well – the price of this is pretty reasonable. It’s so tastefully decorated, and very understated I think. I love the kitchen! Maybe when J and I win the MegaMillions jackpot we’ll go get a place in Palm Springs. ;-)

Debra October 15, 2009 at 10:02 am

What a beautiful home! I especially love the kitchen.

Ruth Staalsen October 15, 2009 at 10:02 am

Love the way the photographer captured the beautiful lighting at the back of the house. Beautiful to see the colors of the home at night. The lighting at night allows you to see the great bones and colors of the home! If I owned this home, I’d enjoy having a glass of wine in one of those lounger chairs! Thanks for sharing Julia!

greenie October 15, 2009 at 10:29 am

OMG OMG OMG! I LOVE this house! If I ever set foot in Palm Springs, I would probably have a heart attack. I flip over every home I’ve ever seen featured in that area. And the prices don’t seem crazy outrageous compared to others.
The architecture of these houses fits perfectly within the landscape. I can’t imagine anything else! BEE-U-TEE-FULL!!

Stephanie October 15, 2009 at 10:40 am

OMG! I love this house so much! Definitely one of fav’s!

Amy October 15, 2009 at 10:51 am

I love this house! I guess I have a soft spot for homes from that era and this one is fantastic.
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Three Years… =-.

Jackie W. October 15, 2009 at 10:58 am

Spent 5 days in PS in early Oct. I am ready to go back. Miss the Palm trees & sun. Kansas has been dreary all month.

There is only one Sonic in the area, but one can find a golf cart dealership on every corner.

Lots of retired people.

Some Like it Vintage.com October 15, 2009 at 11:07 am

What a beautiful home! Love the pool!

Tracy October 15, 2009 at 11:10 am

Though far from my favorite architectural style, those desert houses are all about the landscape and do possess an undeniable coolness. And how could you not love that pool area?… all that water and sky and the wall of glass? So great.
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..She Has Plans for You =-.

Janet October 15, 2009 at 11:20 am

LOVE Palm Springs… Love the low key front exterior, all the outdoor living is done in the back. Great home and what a deal…actually a great price for the area.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Visual Interest =-.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Those views are insane! I would love to have a house with such great history- it’s very Hollywood.
.-= Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog´s last blog ..Target Uses the ‘F’ Word =-.

Beachbrights October 15, 2009 at 12:19 pm

This house seems so “normal”. Nothing over the top…

XOXO
.-= Beachbrights´s last blog ..My $10 Habitat Mirror =-.

christy October 15, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Wow what a spectacular house Julia! Those views are absolutely incredible. Their former names don’t have quite the same ring, do they? Loved this post!
.-= christy´s last blog ..I’m pregnant! No, I’m ovulating! Wait, which is it?! =-.

Paula October 15, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Love the International Style! I also love granite countertops in kitchens.Oddly, I don’t love them together.
.-= Paula´s last blog ..Mantel for Fall =-.

Holly October 15, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I don’t particularly care for the exterior front (makes me think of a park bathroom), but I quite like the interior. And the patio/pool/backyard is spectacular! I agree that the price seems almost reasonable!
.-= Holly´s last blog ..Recycled Wool Sweater Becomes Tote Bag =-.

StuccoHouse October 15, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Yes. I could live there!
.-= StuccoHouse´s last blog ..The Change Out =-.

Deborah Milne October 15, 2009 at 2:29 pm

One of my favorite places on earth! I have view many homes around the Movie Colony, including Steve McQueen’s. The owners have maintained the mid-century vibe w/o mucking it up. A beautiful home. The views of the St. Jacinto are always stunning. Thanks for posting Julia, great fun!

Have a fabulous Friday ~

KathyM October 15, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I love this house! So peaceful, yet with fun pops of color. The yard and pool are so beautiful, I don’t think I would ever want to leave them. Even in it’s beauty, it looks family friendly. Love it! and I love your blog!

MaryBeth October 15, 2009 at 3:25 pm

While I do not like modern type homes, there is something about this house that I just like. Thanks for the pictures. MB

Holley October 15, 2009 at 8:13 pm

That is a fabulous house–and not normally my favorite style. What an amazing place in which to grow up as a child.
.-= Holley´s last blog ..Everything is new…. =-.

rue October 15, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Hi Julia :)

Although the house isn’t my style ordinarily, it’s perfect for Palm Springs. Cool and refreshing :)

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..A breakdown of the kitchen remodel and A winner! =-.

Deb October 15, 2009 at 10:06 pm

As someone in real estate, this site totally appeases the voyeur in me. I just spent 3 hours looking at the houses you have spotlighted. Hopefully my boss doesn’t know…..nnd if he does – so what? I’ll be back tomorrow anyway.

I’m officially hooked.

.-= Deb´s last blog ..My "first" little girl….. =-.

anna see October 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I’m not usually into this kind of house, but it is lovely. Thanks for sharing.
.-= anna see´s last blog ..Put Through the Wringer =-.

Jen@ After The Alter October 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm

I Love the pool! I sometimes wish I lived somewhere it was warm all the time. I am such a pool person and one like that would make me feel like i’m at a resort!
.-= Jen@ After The Alter´s last blog ..Am I A Grown Up Now? =-.

Porchlight Interiors October 16, 2009 at 1:29 am

Fabulous post Julia! So interesting to read about this family and the house is gorgeous! Happy weekend…Tracey xx
.-= Porchlight Interiors´s last blog ..Wish I Could Escape To Here… =-.

Tammy October 16, 2009 at 5:36 am

OMG! I could totally move right into that house and not change a thing….I love it!
.-= Tammy´s last blog ..Coming together =-.

devil October 16, 2009 at 2:47 pm

This is my favorite of any and all houses I’ve ever seen on this blog. I LOVE the desert (I live near PS). And one-story homes are the best.

All I’d need to do is get rid of the granite countertops (they’re already outdated and not classic) and the carpet (I hate carpet of any kind) and I’d move in right away.

I’ve always enjoyed the stories Jamie Lee Curtis told about her mother. Sounds like they had a great relationship.

Kathy :) October 16, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Normally I don’t go for this type house….but I have to say I LOVE it Julia…I also love all the old time movie stars….this house makes me think of a house Frank Sinatra owned I think it was in Vegas, don’t quote me on that though…

Do you remember True Lies with Jamie Lee and Arnold (Gov of CA not even gonna try and spell his last name LOL) loved that movie !!! That has to be 10 years ago….did you see it???

Have a great week-end,
Kathy :)

Christina October 17, 2009 at 10:19 am

Julia,

Thanks as always!!

Christina

black eyed susans kitchen October 17, 2009 at 4:52 pm

This house is so glamorous to me. I grew up with Danish Modern furniture and although our home tends to run toward a more eclectic mix, I always get excited to see a house like this. Thanks for the tour Julia!
?, Susan
.-= black eyed susans kitchen´s last blog ..DELICIOUS, SOGGY AND JUST PLAIN LUCKY =-.

Paula Grace October 17, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous house and scenic views. Beautiful!
.-= Paula Grace´s last blog ..CharityWorks’ Green Designer Show House ~ Part IV =-.

janice October 19, 2009 at 7:22 am

I love homes with sliding doors straight out to the pool. Every time I visit over here, I also wish my husband wasn’t so set against open plan living. I love it, despite the clashing noises the kids make with TV, music and games.

Married at 14?! My daughter can barely cope with teenage life as a school kid!
.-= janice´s last blog ..Clutter: What are You Really Holding Onto…and Why? =-.

Jane @ Beach House October 22, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Ha! Didn’t know you’d blogged the house. I knew it was for sale so I drove by it on my Palm Springs MCM trip. It’s fabulous but I hate the countertops in the kitchen and bath – granite doesn’t always say “luxury” and here, especially with the rounded edges, it’s at odds with mid-century style
.-= Jane @ Beach House´s last blog ..Desert Modern =-.

Nicole M. September 30, 2010 at 9:39 am

That is such a beautiful home. Not usually my style but I could deal with this one without a doubt. Do you know I totally forgot Janet Leigh passed away!!!!!! I had to read that over again three times. It’s sad that the true glamour of Hollywood is dwindling away.

Teacup Lane October 2, 2010 at 10:14 am

What a gorgeous home both in and out. And that view outside at dusk…is just stunning. I would love to live here. It’s the best Hollywood couple home I’ve ever seen – a home that is inviting and comfortable and a reasonable size to live in. Thanks for sharing. We will miss you Tony! So sad all the great actors are dying off.
.-= Teacup Lane´s last blog ..Holy Cow – Its October 1st! =-.

sex toys September 12, 2011 at 4:47 am

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for newbie blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

aluminum bronze September 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Would you be thinking about exchanging links?