Whoopi Goldberg’s $3.99 Million Loft in SoHo

by hookedonhouses on September 15, 2009

whoopi-goldberg-photo-black-and-whiteWhoopi Goldberg, Oscar-winning actress and the moderator on the popular daytime chat show “The View,” is selling her New York City loft. It’s in the heart of SoHo, near Washington Square Park, and can be yours for $3.99 million. The listing says there are 2 bedrooms and 2.5 baths, with 3,600 square feet. The loft space seems to reflect its owner, and there are no signs that a decorator had much to do with it. To me, anyway, it “looks like Whoopi.”

whoopi-goldbergs-loft-1

Did you see Whoopi’s tribute to Patrick Swayze on “The View”? I’m watching it now and it’s getting me all choked up. I was so sad to hear he lost his battle with cancer.

whoopi-goldbergs-loft-2

A few things about the loft that puzzle me: the different types of hardwood flooring in each section of the loft; the proliferation of Christmas decorations in September (maybe it’s been on the market a long time?); and the odd placement of the washer and dryer behind the bar.

whoopi-goldbergs-loft-3

I’m also wondering why the vacuum cleaner wasn’t put away before the photos were taken. Maybe there isn’t much closet space here.

whoopi-goldbergs-loft-4

whoopi-goldbergs-loft-6

The listing is with Sotheby’s agent Meg Siegel. You can find more information about the loft here.

whoopi-goldbergs-loft-51

It looks like she’s an art lover and collector. I’d love to get a close look at each piece. I also like the large, mahogany-framed windows. The whole space looks light and bright. What do you think?

Check out my Celebrity Houses page for links to all of the famous pads I’ve featured, from Mel Gibson’s to Madonna’s.

maya | springtree road September 15, 2009 at 6:59 pm

i’m sure it’s a beautiful loft, but these pictures are way too busy for me. i’m sure it’s better in person. but what is the deal with that vacuum?????
.-= maya | springtree road´s last blog ..Now, what to make next? =-.

Kathy May 3, 2011 at 6:43 pm

There is a simple answer to the vacuum cleaner. A Dyson is a work of art!!!

Beachbrights September 15, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Odd…just…Odd…

XOXO-
.-= Beachbrights´s last blog ..Laurel’s Monkey Bread =-.

Terry Kearns September 15, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Having the whole floor is nice. Great place for parties. Live somewhere else.
.-= Terry Kearns´s last blog ..Emily Amy Gallery Collage Opening, Cecil Touchon, and Brilliant Millie =-.

Papa September 15, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I suppose you don’t get much for 4 million dollars any more. It looks thrown together to me. SoHo is very near the Twin Towers that were destroyed on 911 so it is a prime location.

The Tiny Homestead September 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm

interesting! there’s some things I love…and others not so much. The different flooring seems really odd.
.-= The Tiny Homestead´s last blog ..Small Space Potting Shed =-.

Jocelyn Stott September 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm

You’re right – it does look very Whoopi – but I like it. It looks like a very open, bright and relaxing space.
.-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..Crazy About Cornwall: England Week II =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now September 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Hmm…It seems kind of cluttered…3600 sq. feet is pretty big, esp. for an NYC apartment. Needed to be decluttered some before the listing photos were taken, I think. I do like her white couch and coffee table. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog .."Cheese" =-.

E. George September 16, 2009 at 5:41 am

I think Whoopi would be a great person to talk to she seems so calm and I love her apartment. My vaccum cleaner is always on show – not enough storage. LOVE your website thanks……..Esther from Sydney

Annie@A View on Design September 16, 2009 at 7:07 am

hmmm, I can see how it would be a comfortable home for someone, but not for me. Despite all the clutter, it actually looks quite neat (even the vacuum is placed carefully)…
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Portsea VIC – Divine Resort Living =-.

LindaSonia September 16, 2009 at 7:13 am

Yikes, to me the whole thing looks like a hot mess!!! Hate the ceilings. Everthing is flattened up against a wall. Yikes, Yikes.

But I can see it has great potential for someone to make it fantastic – once all the clutter is removed.

pk September 16, 2009 at 7:18 am

Hmmm… Definitely not my favorite. :-)
.-= pk´s last blog ..The Pumpkin Post =-.

Kristin@Bouelvard Interior Design September 16, 2009 at 8:12 am

Oh, I’d love to get my hands on that space. It has amazing potential. Even in a day I could do wonders (sans the flooring, that needs to be unified). I did see her tribute to PS, It was very sad. I loved his movies.
PS How about Kate’s hair?

Dianna September 16, 2009 at 8:37 am

Take all the clutter away and you just might have something to work with. For 3600 sq ft, I think another bedroom could be added and the living spaces could be more defined.

black eyed susans kitchen September 16, 2009 at 8:48 am

If I had the $$$$ I would grab that place in a second! 3600 square feet to work with in Manhattan? That would be heaven to me. I wish I could see pictures of her home in Vermont.
.-= black eyed susans kitchen´s last blog ..RAINY DAYS AND YARD SALES =-.

Debbie September 16, 2009 at 9:11 am

Good morning Julia. I know why the dryer and washer are by the bar…she wants to throw a load in and pour herself a drink before she vacuums that place…big smile. Interesting concept! What a place though. Completely different than the concept of a traditional loft!
Blessings,
Debbie
.-= Debbie´s last blog ..Living room change… =-.

Beverly from Montreal September 16, 2009 at 9:38 am

Love Whoopi, she’s the best. It’s obvious she’s not into the ‘Decorator’ look.
I agree, though, that there could have been some decluttering done before the photos were taken.
Once again bathrooms are excluded. Why?

Sue September 16, 2009 at 9:51 am

I love it. It is HER. I think a home should yell out, I LIVE HERE! Maybe I am the only one here but I LIKE *controlled* clutter. Especially if it showcases a life well lived. Art, travel pieces, books, memorabilia…MUCH more interesting than having a decorator come in and doing it to look like everyone elses’s decor du jour.
For me, having a unified floor would work best but that is the only sniggle I see here.
I have been in NYC lofts and closets are few and far between. We all have vacuums and w/d set ups and refrigerators…who says they HAVE to be concealed? DO what your heart tells you to do.
.-= Sue´s last blog ..Gotcha! =-.

greenie September 16, 2009 at 9:58 am

Not at all what I expected from Whoopi. There’s something odd about the arrangement and placement. Maybe it’s one of those cases where, given another 10 or 20 years, the entire place would be filled wall-to-wall with bric-a-brac. Nice bones though.

christy September 16, 2009 at 9:58 am

I love it!
.-= christy´s last blog ..More playtime =-.

Lisa Itatani September 16, 2009 at 11:03 am

I love all the art on the walls! To me, it looks like a real person lives in the loft. I’m not a be fan of white chairs because of the dirt showing factor. I was surprised Whoopi didn’t have a great big comfy sofa you could sink into. But over all it’s a great space even with the floor not matching.
.-= Lisa Itatani´s last blog ..Scrapbook Island’s Flea Market =-.

Janet September 16, 2009 at 11:04 am

Love the kitchen. The dining table and chairs is great.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Easy Furniture Remakes =-.

rue September 16, 2009 at 11:12 am

I just read someone’s comment about hating the ceilings and laughed (at myself), because I think they’re really cool, exactly what a loft should have in my opinion. I like that it looks like it wasn’t decorated. It’s very lived in looking and much better than I thought it would be. Anyway, I really like it :)

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..PB & J Cottage… now in Technicolor! =-.

katie September 16, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Tell you what, I’d be more than willing to take that beautiful map off her hands if she needs to get rid of it…
.-= katie´s last blog ..It begins =-.

janice September 16, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I’d love the location and the basic space, but places that are too big don’t appeal to me, especially when folk commit the basic designing sin of trying to squash as much as possible back against the walls. But there again, maybe she roller blades around to relieve stress. I’ve heard some folk do that in lofts! I do love her quilt, though, and like you, Julia, would love a look a some of the art work.
.-= janice´s last blog ..The House of the Thousand Horrormoans =-.

Jen H. September 16, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I actually like it. It’s a bit too cluttered, yes, but I think it’s perfectly imperfect. It’s a true loft, not a fake, and like the original intention of what a loft is supposed to be, it’s got some quirky flaws like the mismatched floors. I’m betting it used to be chopped up into a few smaller warehouses or something, and nobody’s ever bothered making it all matchy and perfect.

The only thing I might do is paint out all the ceiling pipe in white to blend into the ceiling better. Oh, and with all that space (and her money), have someone BUILD a closet/laundry room to house the machines, vacuum, etc.!

Love all the art. I bet it’s worth a fortune!
.-= Jen H. ´s last blog ..Fast forward =-.

Erin September 16, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I like the art in here, but lofts just aren’t my style. They aren’t nearly cozy enough for me! But this has a lot of personality and I like that. It certainly does look like Whoopi!
.-= Erin´s last blog ..In progress =-.

Julia@ Drawn to the Sea September 16, 2009 at 3:57 pm

It’s eclectic, that’s for sure. I’m loving the white floorboards.
.-= Julia@ Drawn to the Sea´s last blog ..Come home, dear one =-.

devil September 16, 2009 at 5:37 pm

If Whoopi’s decorating style was applied to a house, I’d like it more. The flooring is lovely (at least it isn’t yucky w2w carpeting) and I don’t mind this kind of clutter (it has character!). I just don’t like lofts – they give me the creeps.

joni webb September 16, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I don’ care for this – bountiful did her place in LA and it’s soooo wonderful. but I really don’t care for this !! I”m sorry whoopi – I love you though.

J: thank you again so much for today. I really really really appreciate it.Joni
.-= joni webb´s last blog ..Velvet and Linen’s Brooke Visits the Skirted Roundtable =-.

Heidi September 16, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Well…..everyone is different, that’s what makes life interesting. I’m not too sure about the different flooring everywhere – maybe she used different wood instead of rugs to give each room it’s own character? The art is pretty interesting, though. Hard to really get a feel for this place from these pictures – but I think it would be better if all the furniture wasn’t pushed up against the walls! I’ve always wanted to live in a loft in some fab city – maybe someday.
BTW that’s almost $1,111 per square foot. HMMMM……
See you next time!
XO
Heidi

cara September 16, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I wonder if that’s her primary residence or just a pied a terre?
.-= cara´s last blog ..Cheap Sam’s =-.

Cristin September 16, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Not my favorite either.

xo,
cristin
.-= Cristin´s last blog ..More Reusable Lunch Kit Options and Kids Konserve Discount Coupon =-.

S'bu September 17, 2009 at 4:39 am

I think it works. There some things that are very odd but that’s Whoopi, the house matches her personality well. I love it!
.-= S’bu´s last blog ..The Confessions of a facebook addict =-.

foobella September 17, 2009 at 10:46 am

Oh, I love it. “Light and bright” is what I was thinking as I scrolled through the pictures. Wish I had a few million dollars laying around.
.-= foobella´s last blog ..Draw the drapes Amelia Bedilia! =-.

Pamela September 17, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I take it she doesn’t care for rugs.
.-= Pamela´s last blog .. =-.

Kathy :) September 17, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Oh Julia I can honestly say I really dislike it….and I adore lofts…

I hope you and your family are all well and the kids are LIKING their new teachers :)

All the best,
Kathy :)

barbiefish September 18, 2009 at 9:06 am

I like it a lot — and usually don’t like so much white but it works in this space. There is a lot to look at but almost all of it looks interesting, offering a good glimpse of the owner. My thought is the same as Jen H.’s — the main reason for different floors is that it used to be chopped up. Looking at the floor plan on the Sotheby’s website, this easily could have been two separate units opened up at the front by adding the large opening at right in first picture/left in fourth picture. The right unit has heart pine floors in the front rooms and what looks like original subfloor (painted) in the master bedroom behind. The left unit appears to have the light wood (maple?) floors throughout. Also in the front rooms you can see the radiator covers are different on left and right sides, suggesting decoration by two different previous owners.

I like the exposed ceiling pipes — a loft’s industrial origins are part of its charm; do agree with others that living room furniture pushed against the wall isn’t a great look.

Deb K September 18, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Julia, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings… your blog posts are being heisted and used on another blog. Check out http://hrantiques.com and you’ll find both this post about Whoopi’s house and your post about the Notting Hill house. There were others in his archives, but they will not pull up now.

The guy who owns the site has been stealing posts from two of my blogs since May – I just found out about it. I’ve sent him notification to remove my posts and my links from his sidebar – he took the site down for three days, then put it back up with no archive access. But he’s still stealing my posts (probably via RSS feed) and yours and many other people’s content.

I thought you would want to know so you can take action to protect your content.

-Deb

hookedonhouses September 18, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Deb K–
Yes, I know, and it’s driving me crazy. He’s been stealing my posts for months now. I wish I knew how to stop him. Thanks so much for taking the time to alert me to this. Sorry to hear he’s doing the same thing to you!! -Julia

pamgalloway September 20, 2009 at 11:33 am

I LOVE this place! I see evidence of a real person in every photo. And I love it that the vacumn is out. I bet Whoopi actually sets her hand to it occasionally. (Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want dirty dishes in the sink. ) To me, these photos of her loft say “C’mon on in here, Girl. Have I got something to tell you!” I simply love it. Oooo, where’s my checkbook?

Alicia Griffin December 10, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I am a sculptor living in los angeles. Whoopi’s space would be ideal for me. Some of my work is already in NYC contact Masi World Construction/Interior Design. I have contacted RJ Masi so he his wife Maggie and his assistant Mark can go and see it for me. I had no idea that Whoopi lived in a loft.

Stargazer May 19, 2010 at 12:05 am

Very monochromatic, every room seems the same. Not that that’s a bad thing. Love the open concept style, it seems very inviting. To me it looks like New Yorker clashed with rustic country and this is the result.. lol

Jonathan J. Kelly June 6, 2010 at 1:32 am

If you pay for R.J. Masi??? He is a very talented quarterback but needs someone to catch the ball. We really did not want to take this public. R.J. is caring and is the most creative designer I have ever met. Just make sure your final price is in writing. He is very hands-on. Though it is obvious you have to suit his flamboyant lifestyle! He is good if you can afford him. You will pay triple what you would normally have. I guess if you can afford him, go for it. Our house is incredible. We won the neighborhood improvement award.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com July 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Amazing floors.
I love the long dining room table.

jennifer lemay July 31, 2010 at 11:28 pm

This is so refreshing. It’s personal, it reflects her taste and style, and it doesn’t look like she hired the designer of the day to come in and check off the 2o10 trend boxes. This is a home, rather than a decorator’s portfolio page. And mind you, no decorator could choose the art and create the feeling in this space. I feel like this is how Europeans create their homes – they grow over time, they don’t gut and re-do the kitchen and baths every ten years so (gasp) we don’t have brass when stainless is in. They let a space grow over time, without re-doing every decade. I wish I loved Whoopie’s politics as much as I love her expressive taste. But…hey that’s what makes the world go round – differences in design and thought.

pamgalloway August 17, 2010 at 8:53 am

I just have to revisit Whoopie’s place every so often. Thanks, Julia, for providing a virtual escape here. I simply love this. My husband and I hope to sample loft living someday. I’d be delighted to start with Whoopie’s!

donna July 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Woopie, you are my fav. Love your home, but not what I pictured it to be.

Dewitt Cadorette August 4, 2011 at 12:24 am

I was actually looking for this resource a few weeks back in Bing, yet I found your website. Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom. This will absolutely going to help me in my projects.

{ 4 trackbacks }