Whoopi Goldberg’s $3.99 Million Loft in SoHo

whoopi-goldberg-photo-black-and-whiteWhoopi Goldberg, Oscar-winning actress and the moderator on the popular daytime chat show “The View,” is selling her New York City loft. It’s in the heart of SoHo, near Washington Square Park, and can be yours for $3.99 million.

Whoopi Goldberg's SoHo Loft

The listing says there are 2 bedrooms and 2.5 baths, with 3,600 square feet. The loft space seems to reflect its owner, and there are no signs that a decorator had much to do with it. To me, anyway, it “looks like Whoopi.”

Whoopi Goldberg's SoHo Loft

A few things about the loft that puzzle me: the different types of hardwood flooring in each section of the loft; the proliferation of Christmas decorations in September (maybe it’s been on the market a long time?); and the odd placement of the washer and dryer behind the bar.

Whoopi Goldberg's SoHo Loft

I’m also wondering why the vacuum cleaner wasn’t put away before the photos were taken. Maybe there isn’t much closet space here.

Whoopi Goldberg's SoHo Loft

Whoopi Goldberg's SoHo Loft

The listing is with Sotheby’s agent Meg Siegel. You can find more information about the loft at there.

Whoopi Goldberg's SoHo Loft

It looks like she’s an art lover and collector. I’d love to get a close look at each piece. I also like the large, mahogany-framed windows. The whole space looks light and bright, don’t you think?

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Celebrity Houses to see more, including…

Brooke Shields buys house in Hamptons

suzanne-somers
Suzanne Somers and her husband Alan Hamel have been trying to sell their Palm Springs compound for over a year. They were originally asking an…
marge-schott-ambleside-indian-hill-exterior
Who can forget Marge Schott, the controversial owner of the Cincinnati Reds? She was the first woman to head a major metropolitan auto dealership (Schott…

Comments

• Kathy says

There is a simple answer to the vacuum cleaner. A Dyson is a work of art!!!

I suppose you don’t get much for 4 million dollars any more. It looks thrown together to me. SoHo is very near the Twin Towers that were destroyed on 911 so it is a prime location.

Hmm…It seems kind of cluttered…3600 sq. feet is pretty big, esp. for an NYC apartment. Needed to be decluttered some before the listing photos were taken, I think. I do like her white couch and coffee table. :)
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog .."Cheese" =-.

3. E. George says

I think Whoopi would be a great person to talk to she seems so calm and I love her apartment. My vaccum cleaner is always on show – not enough storage. LOVE your website thanks……..Esther from Sydney

4. LindaSonia says

Yikes, to me the whole thing looks like a hot mess!!! Hate the ceilings. Everthing is flattened up against a wall. Yikes, Yikes.

But I can see it has great potential for someone to make it fantastic – once all the clutter is removed.

Oh, I’d love to get my hands on that space. It has amazing potential. Even in a day I could do wonders (sans the flooring, that needs to be unified). I did see her tribute to PS, It was very sad. I loved his movies.
    PS How about Kate’s hair?

Take all the clutter away and you just might have something to work with. For 3600 sq ft, I think another bedroom could be added and the living spaces could be more defined.

Good morning Julia. I know why the dryer and washer are by the bar…she wants to throw a load in and pour herself a drink before she vacuums that place…big smile. Interesting concept! What a place though. Completely different than the concept of a traditional loft!
    Blessings,
    Debbie
    .-= Debbie´s last blog ..Living room change… =-.

8. Beverly from Montreal says

Love Whoopi, she’s the best. It’s obvious she’s not into the ‘Decorator’ look.
    I agree, though, that there could have been some decluttering done before the photos were taken.
    Once again bathrooms are excluded. Why?

I love it. It is HER. I think a home should yell out, I LIVE HERE! Maybe I am the only one here but I LIKE *controlled* clutter. Especially if it showcases a life well lived. Art, travel pieces, books, memorabilia…MUCH more interesting than having a decorator come in and doing it to look like everyone elses’s decor du jour.
    For me, having a unified floor would work best but that is the only sniggle I see here.
    I have been in NYC lofts and closets are few and far between. We all have vacuums and w/d set ups and refrigerators…who says they HAVE to be concealed? DO what your heart tells you to do.
    .-= Sue´s last blog ..Gotcha! =-.

10. greenie says

Not at all what I expected from Whoopi. There’s something odd about the arrangement and placement. Maybe it’s one of those cases where, given another 10 or 20 years, the entire place would be filled wall-to-wall with bric-a-brac. Nice bones though.

I love all the art on the walls! To me, it looks like a real person lives in the loft. I’m not a be fan of white chairs because of the dirt showing factor. I was surprised Whoopi didn’t have a great big comfy sofa you could sink into. But over all it’s a great space even with the floor not matching.
    .-= Lisa Itatani´s last blog ..Scrapbook Island’s Flea Market =-.

I just read someone’s comment about hating the ceilings and laughed (at myself), because I think they’re really cool, exactly what a loft should have in my opinion. I like that it looks like it wasn’t decorated. It’s very lived in looking and much better than I thought it would be. Anyway, I really like it :)

rue
    .-= rue´s last blog ..PB & J Cottage… now in Technicolor! =-.

Tell you what, I’d be more than willing to take that beautiful map off her hands if she needs to get rid of it…
    .-= katie´s last blog ..It begins =-.

I’d love the location and the basic space, but places that are too big don’t appeal to me, especially when folk commit the basic designing sin of trying to squash as much as possible back against the walls. But there again, maybe she roller blades around to relieve stress. I’ve heard some folk do that in lofts! I do love her quilt, though, and like you, Julia, would love a look a some of the art work.
    .-= janice´s last blog ..The House of the Thousand Horrormoans =-.

I actually like it. It’s a bit too cluttered, yes, but I think it’s perfectly imperfect. It’s a true loft, not a fake, and like the original intention of what a loft is supposed to be, it’s got some quirky flaws like the mismatched floors. I’m betting it used to be chopped up into a few smaller warehouses or something, and nobody’s ever bothered making it all matchy and perfect.

The only thing I might do is paint out all the ceiling pipe in white to blend into the ceiling better. Oh, and with all that space (and her money), have someone BUILD a closet/laundry room to house the machines, vacuum, etc.!

Love all the art. I bet it’s worth a fortune!
    .-= Jen H. ´s last blog ..Fast forward =-.

I like the art in here, but lofts just aren’t my style. They aren’t nearly cozy enough for me! But this has a lot of personality and I like that. It certainly does look like Whoopi!
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..In progress =-.

17. devil says

If Whoopi’s decorating style was applied to a house, I’d like it more. The flooring is lovely (at least it isn’t yucky w2w carpeting) and I don’t mind this kind of clutter (it has character!). I just don’t like lofts – they give me the creeps.

Well…..everyone is different, that’s what makes life interesting. I’m not too sure about the different flooring everywhere – maybe she used different wood instead of rugs to give each room it’s own character? The art is pretty interesting, though. Hard to really get a feel for this place from these pictures – but I think it would be better if all the furniture wasn’t pushed up against the walls! I’ve always wanted to live in a loft in some fab city – maybe someday.
    BTW that’s almost $1,111 per square foot. HMMMM……
    See you next time!
    XO
    Heidi

19. Kathy :) says

Oh Julia I can honestly say I really dislike it….and I adore lofts…

I hope you and your family are all well and the kids are LIKING their new teachers :)

All the best,
    Kathy :)

20. barbiefish says

I like it a lot — and usually don’t like so much white but it works in this space. There is a lot to look at but almost all of it looks interesting, offering a good glimpse of the owner. My thought is the same as Jen H.’s — the main reason for different floors is that it used to be chopped up. Looking at the floor plan on the Sotheby’s website, this easily could have been two separate units opened up at the front by adding the large opening at right in first picture/left in fourth picture. The right unit has heart pine floors in the front rooms and what looks like original subfloor (painted) in the master bedroom behind. The left unit appears to have the light wood (maple?) floors throughout. Also in the front rooms you can see the radiator covers are different on left and right sides, suggesting decoration by two different previous owners.

I like the exposed ceiling pipes — a loft’s industrial origins are part of its charm; do agree with others that living room furniture pushed against the wall isn’t a great look.

Julia, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings… your blog posts are being heisted and used on another blog. Check out http://hrantiques.com and you’ll find both this post about Whoopi’s house and your post about the Notting Hill house. There were others in his archives, but they will not pull up now.

The guy who owns the site has been stealing posts from two of my blogs since May – I just found out about it. I’ve sent him notification to remove my posts and my links from his sidebar – he took the site down for three days, then put it back up with no archive access. But he’s still stealing my posts (probably via RSS feed) and yours and many other people’s content.

I thought you would want to know so you can take action to protect your content.

-Deb

22. hookedonhouses says

Deb K–
    Yes, I know, and it’s driving me crazy. He’s been stealing my posts for months now. I wish I knew how to stop him. Thanks so much for taking the time to alert me to this. Sorry to hear he’s doing the same thing to you!! -Julia

23. pamgalloway says

I LOVE this place! I see evidence of a real person in every photo. And I love it that the vacumn is out. I bet Whoopi actually sets her hand to it occasionally. (Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want dirty dishes in the sink. ) To me, these photos of her loft say “C’mon on in here, Girl. Have I got something to tell you!” I simply love it. Oooo, where’s my checkbook?

I am a sculptor living in los angeles. Whoopi’s space would be ideal for me. Some of my work is already in NYC contact Masi World Construction/Interior Design. I have contacted RJ Masi so he his wife Maggie and his assistant Mark can go and see it for me. I had no idea that Whoopi lived in a loft.

25. Stargazer says

Very monochromatic, every room seems the same. Not that that’s a bad thing. Love the open concept style, it seems very inviting. To me it looks like New Yorker clashed with rustic country and this is the result.. lol

26. Jonathan J. Kelly says

If you pay for R.J. Masi??? He is a very talented quarterback but needs someone to catch the ball. We really did not want to take this public. R.J. is caring and is the most creative designer I have ever met. Just make sure your final price is in writing. He is very hands-on. Though it is obvious you have to suit his flamboyant lifestyle! He is good if you can afford him. You will pay triple what you would normally have. I guess if you can afford him, go for it. Our house is incredible. We won the neighborhood improvement award.

27. jennifer lemay says

This is so refreshing. It’s personal, it reflects her taste and style, and it doesn’t look like she hired the designer of the day to come in and check off the 2o10 trend boxes. This is a home, rather than a decorator’s portfolio page. And mind you, no decorator could choose the art and create the feeling in this space. I feel like this is how Europeans create their homes – they grow over time, they don’t gut and re-do the kitchen and baths every ten years so (gasp) we don’t have brass when stainless is in. They let a space grow over time, without re-doing every decade. I wish I loved Whoopie’s politics as much as I love her expressive taste. But…hey that’s what makes the world go round – differences in design and thought.

28. pamgalloway says

I just have to revisit Whoopie’s place every so often. Thanks, Julia, for providing a virtual escape here. I simply love this. My husband and I hope to sample loft living someday. I’d be delighted to start with Whoopie’s!

29. donna says

Woopie, you are my fav. Love your home, but not what I pictured it to be.

I was actually looking for this resource a few weeks back in Bing, yet I found your website. Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom. This will absolutely going to help me in my projects.