Suzanne Somers’ Property in Palm Springs

by hookedonhouses on September 8, 2009

suzanne-somers

Suzanne Somers and her husband Alan Hamel have been trying to sell their Palm Springs compound for over a year. They were originally asking an eye-popping $35 million, but it’s now down to $12.9. It’s located in a secluded canyon above downtown Palm Springs on over 65 acres. Any takers?

exterior

There are 7 different suites and houses connected by rock terraces and natural gardens, so it’s a pretty unusual property. The grounds are stunning.

master-suite

The master suite:

master-bedroom

According to Luxist:

The pair bought the land back in 1977, gradually enhancing the 65 acres with guest houses, an amphitheater, an updated pool and a renovated and expanded main house. Somers filled the home with a decor as exuberant as she is, French country touches keep company with velvet sofas, giant chandeliers and more than one zebra skin rug.

master-closet

If you watch Kathy Griffin’s Life on the D-List, then you probably recognize the house, where Suzanne Somers threw a party in Griffin’s honor (you can read about it on Suzanne’s blog here).

suzanne-somers-and-kathy-griffin

dining-room-1

dining-room-2

Suzanne says the decor was inspired by the South of France. She spends a lot of time in the kitchen and is an accomplished cook, using organic fruits and vegetables from her own garden.

kitchen1

pink-suite-bedroom

powder-room

patio-seating

The outdoor ampitheater:

ampitheater

Here’s a clip of Suzanne Somers giving Kathy Griffin a tour of the property (they make you watch a short ad first). She tells about some of the amazing parties they’ve had here.

You can see the rest of the photos and get more information about the property at Les Baux De Palm Springs.

Visit Celebrity Houses to see more. The most popular this week: Christie Brinkley and Coco Chanel.

greenie September 8, 2009 at 9:57 pm

HOLY SMOKES! I had no idea they had that kind of set-up. Absolutely beautiful! From 35M to around 12M??? OK…let’s see…..I can have this beauty on 65 acres in Cali for around 12M or the run-down shack in Texas on 4,300 acres, complete with dead deer heads for around 16M? mmmmm…. what to do, what to do….. huh, I’ll go with Suzanne Somer’s place. :-)
Thanks for sharing this!

tricia September 8, 2009 at 11:57 pm

just found your blog the other day and i absolutely love it!! i love the series on celebrity homes and houses from movies, such a great idea!
.-= tricia´s last blog ..more fall love… =-.

Nathan September 8, 2009 at 11:59 pm

It’s much to traditional and show-ey for my taste. I do love the pop of colour in the dining room though. I don’t think it really fits, but whatever, haha.

Kellye September 9, 2009 at 2:20 am

Wow, I’m surprised that I really like the house. Who thought that Suzanne Somers would have such a cool place? This seems to me like an old-fashioned “Hollywood” house. I would kill for that dressing room!!

Dagny @ Beautiful Living September 9, 2009 at 5:36 am

It is quite beautiful and not as grossly styled (or not styled?) as most of the “mcmansions” around the area are. Wonder why it’s not selling?
.-= Dagny @ Beautiful Living´s last blog ..Wednesday inspiration / Inspirasjon på en onsdag =-.

The Blushing Hostess September 9, 2009 at 6:11 am

A tiny bit over the top for my taste but on the whole gorge and she still looks great. What a fabulous survivor.
.-= The Blushing Hostess´s last blog ..The Loaded Trunk =-.

duchess September 9, 2009 at 6:33 am

I never expected that style from her. It’s beautiful. Not sure if I could live with some of the furnishings but it’d be fun to add my touch. ha.
Thanks for the tour.
.-= duchess´s last blog ..Labor Day Weekend =-.

Kristin@Bouelvard Interior Design September 9, 2009 at 7:36 am

Very very nice. Love the colors. I could use a few less ruffled slip covers but other than that it is really striking. Paula Grace is a good friend of mine with a great blog and I’m glad she followed my lead at Hooked.

LeAnn September 9, 2009 at 8:05 am

Hard to imagine owning something like this…it’s a whole other world. Wonder who will buy it.
.-= LeAnn´s last blog ..Just pretend…… =-.

meghan September 9, 2009 at 8:47 am

WoW! I guess she isn’t standing in line for government cheese.
LOL
J/K

It’s a beautiful home.
.-= meghan´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday ~ It’s All Air! =-.

Marie Cole September 9, 2009 at 8:52 am

I didn’t expect the house to have as much charm as it did, it’s not over the top just well done French Country.
.-= Marie Cole´s last blog ..Vegas Baby! =-.

Kimberlee J. September 9, 2009 at 8:56 am

Man, I wish someone would pay me to play a ditzy blonde so I could own a place like that. Sweet digs, with fabulous style. Susanne Somers is one SMART cookie.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints September 9, 2009 at 9:09 am

That has to be one of the most beautiful houses I have ever seen!!! We LOVE Palm Springs. The patio picture was pure heaven. Thanks so much for sharing this.
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Painting with Big Chick =-.

Susie September 9, 2009 at 10:08 am

If only I had an extra 12.5 million lying around, then it could be mine. I love the decor. French country is warm and charming, comfortable yet a little dressy and definitely my kind of style.
.-= Susie´s last blog ..Laziness is….. =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions September 9, 2009 at 10:38 am

I like Suzanne Somers. She seems like a nice person. Now to the point of your post ~ I LOVE her house! I could move right in here and be quite comfortable. I love all her chandeliers, too. Missed the Kathy Griffin episode {I used to watch all the time}. I would have liked to have seen that.

Janet September 9, 2009 at 10:49 am

The house and grounds are gorgeous. I love the rock house I could live there.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Dress Form For Sucess =-.

Jen @ After The Alter September 9, 2009 at 10:56 am

Wow, when I saw the first picture of hte outside I was like $12.5 million? Ya right! But the inside is gorgous! I love the kitchen and the outside views must be amazing. I’d love to eat outside at night and look at that!
.-= Jen @ After The Alter´s last blog ..Our Loss: What I Have Learned =-.

Jackie W. September 9, 2009 at 11:21 am

We fly to Palm Springs in Oct. Do you think one needs to pre qualify to see her listing ?

Lisa September 9, 2009 at 11:43 am

I always crave to see how these people live. THAT is some kinda swank. I really do love Ms Somers, shes down to earth kinda gal, from what I gather.

Thanks for the tour! These homes make me feel soooo not worthy.
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..grocery getter… =-.

hookedonhouses September 9, 2009 at 11:51 am

Jackie–nah, I’m sure they let anyone in who wants a peek. Take lots of pics for us! -Julia ;-)

Morning T September 9, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Wowee. Is that her primary residence? It is amazingly gorgeous!! Complete with an ampitheatre?!
.-= Morning T´s last blog ..It’s all in the numbers =-.

Kathy :) September 9, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I just love her ( can’t stand Kathy Griffin), saw her one time in person I had no idea she could sing…not so much my style but it suits her to a T….big drop in price HUH ??? OMG 65 acres….I wonder if she ever rebuilt her house in Malibu that burned to the ground ???

Great post Julia….I hope you had a nice Labor Day….:)

All the best,
Kathy :)

Heather September 9, 2009 at 2:30 pm

It’s lovely! It looks like she belongs there!
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Whoo’s There? =-.

Sarah September 9, 2009 at 3:53 pm

That place is beautiful! Love the outdoor spaces
.-= Sarah´s last blog ..Lake Oconee House Pics =-.

Renae Moore September 9, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Suzanne S is one one of my fave peeps, and K Griffin certainly is not BUT I will say SS has tremendous taste (or her decorator does). This place is stunning every where one turns. The dressing room…ooh la la and the kitchen with two Viking stoves and two dishwashers, a definite chef’s dream!

Great fun Julia!
.-= Renae Moore´s last blog ..100th post =-.

Cheri Peoples September 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I think you could twist my arm to live there.

My blog has just been growing like a crazy weed and I haven’t been able to get by for as many visits. I miss all my blog friends.
Come for a visit and see both of my new parties for the week. They are up every week and I hope you will participate.

Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

Amy @ Living Locurto September 9, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Wow! What a closet:-) I’d love to have outside dinning like that. Yowza!
.-= Amy @ Living Locurto´s last blog ..Fast & Easy Treats =-.

Christina September 9, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Wow it’s really nice… great outside dining area!

Amy September 9, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Wowsers, do ya think she’d sell the furniture with it? I’d move right in! Love the chandeliers against the rock ceilings.
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Stoop watermelon with Beeps =-.

melissa_britt@yahoo.com September 9, 2009 at 8:56 pm

OMG. LOVE. That is my shortest comment ever.

Robin September 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Love love love both dining rooms. I could totally live there. Except for that pesky lack of $13 million thing…..
.-= Robin´s last blog ..Summer, don’t go! Is it something I said? =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now September 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm

What a house!! I had no idea Chrissy…oops, Suzanne Sommers…has a blog. ;) Will have to check that out. :) I LOVE the outdoor dining, and the kitchen is fab. Wanna go halvsies with me on this one?
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..DIY: Flip Flop Basket =-.

kathi September 10, 2009 at 5:22 am

Did you check out that view from the dining room/sitting area!? I love the ceiling in that room too. Amazing!
.-= kathi´s last blog ..Still Needs Work =-.

Puna September 10, 2009 at 7:51 am

Oh I LOVE this home! It’s so romantic and rustic. No smooth surfaces anywhere. It’s gorgeous.
.-= Puna´s last blog ..September 9, Where The Green Grass Grows =-.

Angela @ Imaginecozy September 10, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Those are some fairy tale rooms!
-Angela
.-= Angela @ Imaginecozy´s last blog ..Above Kitchen Cabinets =-.

Jen Qld September 10, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Wow, this is one of the most beautiful homes I have seen.
I love it!
The scenery is magnificent as well.

Cristin September 10, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Great tour. Beautiful home!!!

xo,
cristin
.-= Cristin´s last blog ..Parlor Design – Exquisite Transitional NYC Townhouse =-.

Annie September 13, 2009 at 6:58 am

what a great home – I’d love to live there, it has so much character and style, I just love it!

Laura Ingalls Gunn September 13, 2009 at 9:36 am

Oh I could just move in and not change one thing! Truly gorgeous.
.-= Laura Ingalls Gunn´s last blog ..Wicker Cloche Giveaway =-.

Jodi from New Jersey October 17, 2009 at 7:59 am

Hi Julia. This is my dream house for when I become a movie star. Might as well dream in a GIGANTIC way!. I love all the chandeliers, fabrics, and that green in the dining room. Holy #$$&, it’s amazing, and don’t get me started on the gardens. Very enjoyable………………. Thanks so much. Dreams are fun!

Velveeta November 4, 2009 at 7:22 pm

That house is FAB-U-LOUS!

Joel December 19, 2009 at 1:23 am

This is beautiful. I love the setting too!

merann June 10, 2010 at 7:24 am

this house reminds me of lord of the rings. its like a cross between a hobbits house and a elfs house, its such a beautiful fairy tale home. sighs, blink blink blink

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com July 11, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Wow. I’m in love. All that stone! Gorgeous. I love it.
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com´s last blog ..Contest- Superhero Needed =-.

kerry August 13, 2010 at 3:29 pm

WOWZA!!!!!!! I love this home and the land. Classy, just like the Lady (and the Gentleman) that lives there! Quite a bit of living of life has gone on here. Alot of the shots in Ms. Somers diet books are from this house & grounds. Very beautiful location. not my best climate though, but I’d love to visit there…whenever it’s cool out… Thanks for sharing.

Shelia September 17, 2010 at 11:32 am

Oh, her home is so gorgeous and that kitchen! Oh,my goodness. Now as lovely as her house is, I just wanted to tell you – those green chairs and the green wall over to the left reminded me of those green moss balls! :) I know, I’m a silly!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
.-= Shelia´s last blog ..Fall Cloche Party with Marty =-.

Bettsi September 17, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Gosh, I love it! I’m surprised- I was expecting an uber-shabby-chic thing or something, but this is really warm and lovely. French country style is awesome anyway and she did a beautiful job with it.
.-= Bettsi´s last blog ..Goodwill Hunting =-.

Nita September 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I thought this house for sale and already sold? I hope those are not real zebra skin rugs!

hookedonhouses September 17, 2010 at 6:29 pm

It may have sold by now. I wrote this post over a year ago. The listing is still online, though, so I’m not sure what the status is. -Julia

Tina September 18, 2010 at 11:23 am

Been looking at this property for 2 years now! Absolutley in love with the grand beauty and solitude of this home. The design and decor are incredibly thought out. Love the mix of rock walls, chandeliers, zebra rugs and apple green velvet draperies. Keep hoping to be able to buy this one day!

mishelle September 19, 2010 at 3:15 am

Wow, i love her decor. I love the green . Nice change for slipcovers. Ok so they oput the zebra rug in a bout every room. It looks good in all of them. That green just gets to me, i love it.
.-= mishelle´s last blog ..Goodbye Latisse! =-.

{ 1 trackback }