Julianne Moore’s West Village Townhouse

by hookedonhouses on August 25, 2009

Julianne Moore's West Village Townhouse

Actress Julianne Moore, whose West Village townhouse was featured in the March 2006 issue of World of Interiors, just listed it for $12 million. The 6-bedroom house has 5 stories, including a second garden-level entry under the stoop. It was built in the late 1880s and meticulously renovated.

Julianne Moore's townhouse staircase

Julianne Moore's West Village Townhouse Study

Love the brick wall in the kitchen and the beamed ceilings:

Julianne Moore-brownstone kitchen

Julianne Moore's West Village Townhouse kitchen 2

Julianne Moore's West Village Townhouse kitchen

There seems to be a fireplace in every room, including the bedroom:

Julianne Moore's West Village Townhouse bedroom

Her bathroom made the cover of World of Interiors in 2006:

world-of-interiors-cover-julianne-moore-bath

Here’s how it looks in the listing:

Julianne Moore's West Village Townhouse bathroom

Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more, including…

Sarah Jessica Parker's West Village Brownstone

Sarah Jessica Parker’s West Village Brownstone

Victoria @ DesignTies August 26, 2009 at 12:01 am

I’m loving this house and it’s decor!! You find the BEST celebrity listings, Julia!!
Victoria @ Design Ties
.-= Victoria @ DesignTies´s last blog ..A Knock Out Knock Off for Rewind Wednesday =-.

Elaine August 26, 2009 at 1:26 am

So simple but very cosy, well lived in feel, wouldnt feel uncomfortable there!!
.-= Elaine´s last blog ..Flea Market Style =-.

songbirdtiff August 26, 2009 at 7:19 am

This is a beautiful home! I just love the kitchen. The texture of the brick wall and the exposed beams almost make it feel like a farm house kitchen.
.-= songbirdtiff´s last blog ..Glider Rocker- Drab to Fab! =-.

Janet August 26, 2009 at 7:29 am

Gorgeous. For some reason I thought of the NYC apartment in the movie “Deceived” with Goldie Hawn (1991). Loved that place too.

Candy @ SoBella Creations August 26, 2009 at 7:33 am

Wow what a great home!
.-= Candy @ SoBella Creations´s last blog ..Features & Giveaways =-.

rue August 26, 2009 at 7:40 am

Hi Julia :)

I don’t know why, but I thought her home would look completely different. Warmer maybe? Anyway, it’s pretty, but cold to me.

Have a great day today!
rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..It’s that time of year again! =-.

christy August 26, 2009 at 8:20 am

I just love her house – and it’s so interesting to see rooms from different perspectives – wide angle vs normal. That bathroom looks so different in those two photos. So glad you featured this today – glad I could point it out to you! :-)
.-= christy´s last blog ..Our little melon lover =-.

LeAnn August 26, 2009 at 8:43 am

Hi Julia,
It was interesting reading others comments. I did not care for this home at all, felt it was very cold and stark. The bedroom was okay but I just thought the whole place seemed kinda dreary, just my opinion.
.-= LeAnn´s last blog ..I’m sad:( =-.

The Mrs. August 26, 2009 at 9:29 am

This looks exactly like the house in the movie with Jeff Bridges and Farraw Fawcett…tyring to remember the name…”See you in the morning?” Anyway I swear it’s the same house!
.-= The Mrs.´s last blog ..Flatware, Oh Flatware what should I choose?! =-.

Kristin@Bouelvard Interior Design August 26, 2009 at 9:34 am

I think this house is pretty chic. The layers of texture in each of these rooms shows sophisticated design work. The Turquoise leather barstools are gorg.

Nouveau Stitch August 26, 2009 at 10:38 am

I always imagine when I walk through the city what’s behind the walls of such incredible buildings. Thanks for the glimpse inside!
.-= Nouveau Stitch´s last blog ..Something gave. =-.

Struggler August 26, 2009 at 11:06 am

You know, since I started training for a marathon, my poor achy legs have looked at stairs in a whole new way. I can’t imagine being on the first floor and remembering I’d forgotten something on the 5th. Ouch!
I can’t help but feel the house might suffer a bit from lack of light, too. There seem to be 3 narrow windows for each floor, presumably some at the back too… but compared to a lot of ‘famous’ houses you feature, this feels dark to me. Most of the listing photos have every single light switched on.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Are they trying to gag us? =-.

Tracy August 26, 2009 at 11:41 am

Wow. What a beautiful home. It has a really cool, contemporary vibe but still looks so homey and warm. Why on earth is she leaving it?!
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..Do You Let Sleeping Dogs (or Cats) Lie? =-.

greenie August 26, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Love it! Love the interior design! Although, that rug in the living room is a little odd. From the photo, it looks like there’s a cord running across it. I thought, “That’s weird…they’d do a photo shoot with a cord on the rug?” But, then realized it’s the design of the rug. Other than that, love every else about it.

Erin August 26, 2009 at 12:34 pm

What a funky house! Not at all what I would have thought of when you think of what Julianne Moore’s house might be like, but it’s very contemporary.

I love a good classic house myself, but this looks like a fun place to hang out.
.-= Erin´s last blog ..Rug options =-.

Puna August 26, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I absolutely love this home. It’s the perfect mix of rustic and contemporary, old and new. I also love her as an actress. Thanks for showing it to us!
.-= Puna´s last blog ..Uncle Ed’s Farm For Outdoor Wednesday =-.

Laura @ the shore house August 26, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I lover her style (and her fabulous hair!). I also remember her home and another NYC apt she designed (her assistant’s? A friend’s? Can’t remember.) from Domino magazine. Now if only I had 12 million burning a hole in my pocket…
.-= Laura @ the shore house´s last blog ..Sunflowers. Everywhere. =-.

melissa stover August 26, 2009 at 2:10 pm

it seems to have really great windows which surprises me since it appears two sides are up against other homes.

Autumn August 26, 2009 at 2:38 pm

I like a lot of aspects, especially the structure and the beams and fireplaces, but it seems a little lacking in the warmth department. I suppose it’s meant for the listings though–you’re supposed to imagine yourself in the home, instead of the previous owners, right? Love the exposed brick, too!
.-= Autumn´s last blog ..Craigslist, how I love thee =-.

Dawn August 26, 2009 at 3:47 pm

This is not my taste or style – too cold. I agree with others who said that. But it’s neat and interesting and spacious.

Renae Moore August 26, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Julia,
I love Julianne Moore…such a beauty. Interesting home…a little too stark and modern for me. The 5 stories would certainly keep a girl in shape!
Blessings…
.-= Renae Moore´s last blog ..Please drop by… =-.

Sue August 26, 2009 at 11:27 pm

We will be winning the Georgia Power Ball Friday night and promptly going to Manhattan to buy this property….I will then invite you over for lunch.
.-= Sue´s last blog ..DEATH OF A TABLESCAPE……..And One Dead Chicken. =-.

Jenny August 27, 2009 at 12:57 am

Not my style. It doesn’t seem very cozy or warm. It feels kind of cold and stand-offish. LOL!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Works For Me Wednesday: Asking For Advice =-.

Suzann from The Olive Cottage August 27, 2009 at 6:29 am

Interesting. I keep looking at the photos but I’m not sure how I feel about the look.
.-= Suzann from The Olive Cottage´s last blog ..Chit-Chat =-.

Suzy August 27, 2009 at 11:00 am

Not what I expected from Ms. Moore. I figured her for a classic antique feel. Lush…

It was unexpected of the modern look.

Thanks for the post!
.-= Suzy´s last blog .. =-.

Ann August 27, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Can anyone identify the gorgeous grey wall color in the office (the picture above the bedroom)?
.-= Ann´s last blog ..Beware of Dog =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now August 27, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I like the neat staircase/entry with that gorgeous print! She has a beautiful home. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..DIY: Drab to Fab Deck =-.

Tara August 28, 2009 at 9:46 am

Beautiful, ya know what I think is funny about seeing celebrity homes is sometimes I don’t think they match their personality, for instance I don’t see Julianne in a home like this, I see her in more of a lived in cozy home…isn’t that silly of me!! amazing details here and love all the fireplaces she has around her home!
.-= Tara´s last blog ..Lucky~ =-.

Robin Feltner August 28, 2009 at 1:20 pm

So very pretty. Not a fan of the gray in almost every room, but it has gorgeous bones!

Heather August 29, 2009 at 1:41 am

It looks like a very nice home. Very streamlined, but not really my style. I want that bathtub though!
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Free Precious Places™ DVD =-.

Donna September 1, 2009 at 3:31 pm

After looking at Moore’s townhouse, I recalled a movie home that I use to love. The film was See You In The Morning with Jeff Bridges, Alice Krige, and Farrah Fawcett. A sweet film about 2nd chances. The townhouse was one of those old world narrow ones like this one (Julianne’s). It was decorated so lovely. I went to NYC in search of it knowing that it was around the corner from the Empire Diner (which is in the film alot) in the Chelsea section of NY. The owner of the townhouse came out to see why I was staring at this home and let me take pictures of the front. My little girl was with me and I have some great shots of her sitting on the stoop. He asked us in but I was too fearful. The owner did show me where the stoop was altered for the movie and how the door was painted and brass hardware was added. There were a few romantic stoop scenes between Alice Krige and Jeff Bridges. I still think of that great house so….if you ever want to look into it, let me know what you think!

Joel Linn October 12, 2009 at 3:44 pm

A glimpse inside Julianne Moore’s TOWNHOUSE in New York, NY reveals STAGGERINGLY beautiful design! Every room unique, every room livable. Check out the wooden longitudinal beams in the kitchen!

From Page: “Built in the late 1800′s, this house has been meticulously renovated with an eye on retaining the original architectural detail, such as crown moldings and wide plank pine floors, while introducing modern amenities such as central air, high speed computer lines and a security system.

The house has five floors complete with a fully landscaped beautiful garden. Every floor is dedicated to utmost luxury with a master bedroom suite, spa like bath, large children bedrooms, and laundry room. The large eat-in kitchen at the rear of the house leads to the garden. The fifth floor has been turned into a home office at the rear and a large recreational media room in the front.”
.-= Joel Linn´s last blog ..Welcome to Good Moldings =-.

Design Blahg July 10, 2010 at 10:10 am

Wow, uhm…I srsly kind of hate it. I mean, its a townhouse in NYC, so that’s nothing to sneeze at, but I agree with the others who feel it has no warmth or personality. It doesn’t really feel like anyone spent much time on it at all…nothing seems thoughtful.
.-= Design Blahg´s last blog ..WHERE I BLAHG- Meri Cherry =-.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com July 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I love the painting before the staircase :)
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com´s last blog ..Contest- Superhero Needed =-.

{ 3 trackbacks }