Kitty Bartholomew’s Cottage in Santa Monica

by hookedonhouses on August 11, 2009

kitty-bartholomews-decorating-style-book1

Kitty Bartholomew’s motto is: “It’s not what you don’t have, it’s what you do with what you do have.” I’ve been a fan of hers since she was the decorating correspondent on ABC’s The Home Show. Anyone else remember that? It was hosted by Gary Collins and ran from 1988-1994. The decorating segments were my favorites, and I can still remember the tour Kitty gave of her home on the show. She went on to become a fixture on HGTV, hosting Kitty Bartholomew: You’re Home for 8 years.

When I heard that her Nantucket-style cottage in Santa Monica was on the market for $2.195 million, I had to track it down. Here it is:

exterior-of-cottage

According to this article:

The one-story Nantucket cottage has a center hall floor plan, and all three bedrooms open to English gardens. The main house is about 2,000 square feet, and there is also a separate studio office with vaulted beamed ceilings and a detached guesthouse. Adding to the home’s charm is a Dutch door leading to the rear patio area. There are hardwood floors throughout, and the kitchen has an antique O’Keefe & Merritt stove.

patio

back-door

Kitty’s family room in the summer, with slipcovers to lighten things up (from her book):

kitty-bartholomew-family-room

Kitty’s family room for fall, when everything gets red and cozy (from the listing):

family-room

Only a few photos are given in the listing itself–here’s a bedroom that’s shown:

kitty-bartholomew-bedroom-in-listingAnd here’s how that bedroom looked in her book, Kitty Bartholomew’s Decorating Style, as well as a few other rooms:

kitty-bartholomew-bedroom

kittys-guest-room

The kitchen as it looked when Kitty bought the house:

kittys-kitchen-before

And what it looked like after she cozied things up in there (via the LA Times, which has an article about her kitchen makeover):

kitty-bartholomews-red-kitchen

kittys-kitchen-after

From the listing, the picket fence with birdhouses at the gate (for more photos and information, see the listing).

fence-and-birdhouses You can buy her book, which is filled with beautiful photos, here. Learn more about Kitty Bartholomew’s current projects on her website. If you’re one of Kitty’s fans, check out the post that Tracy at Comfort & Luxury wrote about her.

Go to Celebrity Houses to see more, including Tori Spelling and Reese Witherspoon.

Jenny @ Words On Wendhurst August 11, 2009 at 9:20 am

Very cute place! Can you really call a 2,000 square foot house worth $2.195 million a “cottage”? :-) Just saying.
.-= Jenny @ Words On Wendhurst´s last blog ..Summer Vacay in Wisconsin =-.

Pam @ This Humble House August 11, 2009 at 10:14 am

What a dreamy cottage! It’s like something out of a fairy tale! Wow! I love the half door leading out to the garden! I remember Kitty, seems like she was on HGTV, too…
.-= Pam @ This Humble House´s last blog ..Beachy Bargains =-.

hookedonhouses August 11, 2009 at 10:20 am

Jenny–when you’re a celebrity, 2,000 square feet is definitely considered a cottage. Ha.

Pam–Yes, she was on HGTV. I forgot to mention that! I’ll go back and add that now!

kathy@brazoscowgirl August 11, 2009 at 10:21 am

I will never forget her “twig bed”. That was long before I had HGTV. She is a creative person that is for sure. She loves red, I remember that as well.
.-= kathy@brazoscowgirl´s last blog ..Fish Friend =-.

Janet August 11, 2009 at 10:48 am

Just looking at the exterior photo’s you would never think that this home was located in Santa Monica, CA . Of course, the style is not typical So Cal, but the landscaping as well isn’t typical for the area. I absolutely love the backyard.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..A Threat to History =-.

Jodi from New Jersey August 11, 2009 at 11:16 am

Hi ! I think I screwed up and left a comment on the outdoor dining section . What is a blog, anyway? Help me . Thanks, Jodi

Cindy August 11, 2009 at 11:23 am

I think I love everything about Kitty’s cottage, except the price tag. I could move right in and feel at home. After doing a coastal them in most of my house a couple of years ago I am frustratingly finding myself drawn to the reds and vintage. I have never liked red! I drive myself crazy. Santa Monica had many smaller homes near the beach which are being replaced by those awful McMansions. I’m so glad Kitty loved up this little beauty.

Jackie Whitley August 11, 2009 at 11:39 am

Remember her on the Home Show. Her home then had a wavy roof.

What HGTV shows did she do cause I’ve never seen any of them.

Tracy August 11, 2009 at 11:50 am

Julia! Thanks for the mention and for digging in and finding more photos of Kitty’s house. Her little cottage, especially the living room’s colors and her gardens, really informed my own decorating back when her book was new. And I completely appreciate how she worked with the house pretty much as it was instead of knocking it down and starting over like too many of her neighbors have done. It’s amazing what you can do with what you have if you really put your mind to it!
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..Color Me Quizzical =-.

Jocelyn Stott August 11, 2009 at 11:53 am

LOVE the cozy nature of all these rooms. I just want to curl up in that living room with a book. However, I was chuckling at the fire in the fireplace. After 3 years living in LA, never did I come across weather cold enough for a fire – hahaha.
.-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..Thought For the Day =-.

Emily August 11, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Love it! So cute!!!
.-= Emily´s last blog ..Teal and Orange =-.

Angie August 11, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I do remember “The Home Show.” I was in grade school and loved to watch it in the summer. I even tried to make some of the crafts. What a wonderful cottage!
.-= Angie´s last blog .. =-.

hookedonhouses August 11, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Jackie–
Kitty hosted her own show called “Kitty Bartholomew: You’re Home” on HGTV for 8 years. I’ll add it to the post. -Julia

frippery August 11, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I have always been a fan. She has such a cheerful touch.
.-= frippery´s last blog ..Thrifty Overload? =-.

Struggler August 11, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Yes, 2000 feet is a pretty big cottage, but at least that’s closer to reality than the 6000 sq ft giants we often see.
I could probably hide out in her guest room for a month quite happily.. hopefully no-one would discover me stowed away there!
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Who let the leopards out? =-.

The Blushing Hostess August 11, 2009 at 2:04 pm

guessing the book is from that same time period? the landscaping is lovely, the looks a smidge dated…
.-= The Blushing Hostess´s last blog ..Would you? =-.

Pat August 11, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I loved watching Kitty’s show, on HGTV.
Thanks so much, Julia, for the link to her website and book! I never knew what aubergine was, until I “met” Kitty:-).
.-= Pat´s last blog ..~Late Summer Gifts~ =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now August 11, 2009 at 2:44 pm

OOoh, I love the patio area and the storage under the guest bed. Neat! The kitchen photo is a teensy too busy for me, but I like the red. :)

Hope you can swing by the Decorating Dilemmas Party tonight (after 10 pm ET) or tomorrow, even if you don’t have anything to post. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Tasty Tuesday: Homemade Spaghetti Sauce and an Invite =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints August 11, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I actually have that book at home. Her house is so cute and comfortable. I love it…wish I had an extra couple million laying around:)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Tiger Woods in the hood! =-.

Nita August 11, 2009 at 6:29 pm

This is her house now unless it has been sold, because it has been listed for awhile. I don’t know where she is moving but would love to know. Would also love to see all her old kitchens and houses.

BTW, California is far from deserty looking, and that yard is typical of most of southern California. Things grow well near the beach where this house is. Californians typically have landscaped midwestern style, one thing that might have to change, unfortunately, in the lingering drought, but we are supposed to have a wet winter.

LindaSonia August 11, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Oh my, this tour was extra fun. I remember Kitty from the Home Show and I also remember seeing pictures of her home somewhere. Haven’t seen her in forever. I liked her home way back when and I still like it. Charm personified. Love your blog!!! LindaSonia

SuzyHomemaker August 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Julia,
Thanks for the memories. Kitty and Martha go hand and hand in my book. I remember watching her show….I love the red slipcovers in the fall living room. And I think I’ll steal that quote in the kitchen “A Cookie in Each Hand”….love it!
.-= SuzyHomemaker´s last blog ..Festive Brownie Buttons =-.

Victoria @ DesignTies August 12, 2009 at 1:15 am

I love the garden/yard of this, and the way the cottage sits in the garden/yard. But… I may not be popular in saying this… the decorating style that Kitty has used for the cottage is too country and kitch for my taste. Having said this, I can totally see and appreciate her wonderful use of fabric and colour!

I’m glad to hear you like the window Brian added to our kitchen for me!! Considering that you showcased my kitchen here on HoH, it means a whole lot that you that you love it! I love it, too!!!

Victoria @ DesignTies
.-= Victoria @ DesignTies´s last blog ..A hot & steamy Rewind Wednesday! =-.

Janice August 12, 2009 at 6:39 am

I am quickly falling in love with this and your other blog. You have made it such a great and interesting read.
Hope you will continue to stop by and say hello to me.
Are you doing Waterside Wednesday?
I know that I would love to see your offerings.
Janice
.-= Janice´s last blog ..Waterside Wednesday =-.

Becky K. August 12, 2009 at 8:43 am

I do remember Kitty from The Home Show. That was a while ago…but it was one of the first shows of this genre that I remember watching. She was, and is, a breath of fresh air.

I love the split door that leads to the garden.
The slip covers in the living room do make a huge difference.
I prefer the red…but would love changing things up twice a year.

Becky K.
Hospitality Lane
.-= Becky K.´s last blog ..I Told Them This Was A Bad Idea…. =-.

Aunt Amelia August 12, 2009 at 9:06 am

Thank you! It’s been so long since I’ve seen anything on Kitty.

Always loved her Christmas Time Visit to Cape May, NJ. !!!! Wish they would still repeat such programs, at Holiday time…

Gentle hugs,
‘Aunt Amelia’

Laura @ the shore house August 12, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Aw, I’ve missed little Miss Kitty! And I TOTALLY remember her on The Home Show. I used to watch in college. Sometimes in lieu of class. Oops. ;-)
.-= Laura @ the shore house´s last blog ..The sick, and the bazaar. =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions August 12, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I watched her show religiously on HGTV! Her home is very charming and I like the two different looks in her family room.

Becky August 12, 2009 at 10:12 pm

I’ve had this book in my collection for years, and last night I pulled it out again. It really is a classic, evan though now a days I prefer a neutral color pallet.

Stephanie@Geezees August 13, 2009 at 11:50 am

adorable, and so tasteful….
.-= Stephanie@Geezees´s last blog ..Perfect Anniversary Gifts – What an inspiration these amazing couples are! =-.

Donna @ SunnySide August 14, 2009 at 9:11 am

Hi, Julia,
Oh, I just love Kitty’s house. Just my style. Warm and cozy. Thanks for posting.

D

Puna August 14, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I love Kitty. I used to watch her all the time when I was a stay at home mom. Is she still on tv somewhere?
.-= Puna´s last blog ..Fix It Friday ~ The Eyes Are The Windows To The Soul =-.

Ruth Staalsen October 10, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I remember Kitty and I loved her. She always gave me such great ideas and I loved her style, so sophisticated.

CherylK October 18, 2009 at 8:42 am

I was just thinking about a lot of celebrities that we haven’t heard from for a long time…like whatever happened to…? And Kitty Bartholomew was one of them so I decided to Google her to see what came up. Found your blog which is just terrific! I have always been a Kitty B. fan – loved her show on HGTV and was so sorry when it ended. Her mantra (It’s not what you do have, etc….) is so right on especially these days.

Thanks for this look at her house and for bringing back some great memories. Sure do wish she’d surface on television, again. Anything you could do about that?
.-= CherylK´s last blog ..Tissue Paper Walls and Other Ramblings… =-.

Dwinisa October 23, 2009 at 10:36 am

I looooove the guest room! I will have a “framed” bed like that some day, when I have my own house :D

Joanne November 2, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Oh my gosh…reading this post made me miss Kitty’s home show on tv so much. I always loved her cozy decorating style and her casual manner and approach to things. Thanks for sharing this~
Joanne
apronsgonewild.blogspot.com
apronsgonewild.etsy.com
.-= Joanne´s last blog .. =-.

Ruth Ann August 5, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I really wish Kitty would come back to HGTV. I am tired of all those home buying shows. Please come back Kitty!

Darlene Hall July 3, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Boy, do I ever agree with you Ruth Ann. I hardly watch HGTV anymore. There are no decorating shows on there anymore. Besides Kitty, my personal fav, Lynette Jennings was another favorite. It’s very disappointing!!!!

CherylK November 11, 2010 at 10:36 am

I agree with Ruth Ann…wish there were more shows like Kitty’s old show. I wonder if she ever sold her house? I also loved Chris Madden’s show. And whatever happened to Kenneth Brown? HGTV needs to get back on track.
.-= CherylK´s last blog ..November Still Life =-.

{ 1 trackback }