Kitty Bartholomew’s Cottage in Santa Monica

Kitty Bartholomew's Santa Monica Cottage | hookedonhouses.net

Kitty Bartholomew’s motto is: “It’s not what you don’t have, it’s what you do with what you do have.” She was on HGTV for 8 years as the host of Kitty Bartholomew: You’re Home. When I heard that her Nantucket-style cottage in Santa Monica was on the market for $2.195 million, I had to track it down.

Kitty Bartholomew's Santa Monica Cottage For Sale 3

According to an article on WTVR.com about the house, “The one-story Nantucket cottage has a center hall floor plan, and all three bedrooms open to English gardens.”

Kitty Bartholomew's Santa Monica Cottage For Sale 2

“The main house is about 2,000 square feet, and there is also a separate studio office with vaulted beamed ceilings and a detached guest house.”

patio

The cottage was featured in her book Kitty Bartholomew’s Decorating Style:

kitty bartholomew's decorating style book

Here’s how she decorated it for the summer as it was shown in the book, with slipcovers to lighten things up:

kitty-bartholomew-family-room

And here’s how it looks in the listing with red slipcovers instead:

family-room

The listing only has a few photos, including one of this bedroom with a Dutch door leading to the garden:

Kitty Bartholomew bedroom in listing

Here’s how that bedroom looked in her book:

Kitty Bartholomew's Santa Monica Cottage bedroom

Here’s how the small cottage kitchen looked when she bought the house:

Kitty Bartholomew's kitchen BEFORE

And what it looked like after she cozied things up in there (via the LA Times):

Kitty Bartholomew's red kitchen 2

She installed an antique O’Keefe & Merritt stove in the kitchen.

Kitty Bartholomew's red kitchen

I watched her way back when she was the decorating correspondent on ABC’s The Home Show. Anyone else remember that? It was hosted by Gary Collins and ran from 1988-1994. The decorating segments were my favorites, and I can still remember the tour Kitty gave of her home on the show.

kitty bartholomew profile pic

For more photos and information, see the listing. I believe her book is out of print, but you can buy used copies here.

Kitty Bartholomew's Santa Monica Cottage For Sale 4

Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more, including…

Sarah Richardson's colorful Toronto house HGTV MagazineSarah Richardson’s House

Joan Rivers has put her Connecticut house on the market for $6.5 million. Architectural Digest profiled it, showing the remodel that Rivers spearheaded with a…
Christie Brinkley's Tower Hill Hamptons house
Christie Brinkley, our favorite Uptown Girl, is single again now that her divorce from Peter Cook has been finalized, and she's moving on. She's a…

Comments

What a dreamy cottage! It’s like something out of a fairy tale! Wow! I love the half door leading out to the garden! I remember Kitty, seems like she was on HGTV, too…
    .-= Pam @ This Humble House´s last blog ..Beachy Bargains =-.

2. hookedonhouses says

Jenny–when you’re a celebrity, 2,000 square feet is definitely considered a cottage. Ha.

Pam–Yes, she was on HGTV. I forgot to mention that! I’ll go back and add that now!

I will never forget her “twig bed”. That was long before I had HGTV. She is a creative person that is for sure. She loves red, I remember that as well.
    .-= kathy@brazoscowgirl´s last blog ..Fish Friend =-.

Just looking at the exterior photo’s you would never think that this home was located in Santa Monica, CA . Of course, the style is not typical So Cal, but the landscaping as well isn’t typical for the area. I absolutely love the backyard.
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..A Threat to History =-.

5. Jodi from New Jersey says

Hi ! I think I screwed up and left a comment on the outdoor dining section . What is a blog, anyway? Help me . Thanks, Jodi

6. Cindy says

I think I love everything about Kitty’s cottage, except the price tag. I could move right in and feel at home. After doing a coastal them in most of my house a couple of years ago I am frustratingly finding myself drawn to the reds and vintage. I have never liked red! I drive myself crazy. Santa Monica had many smaller homes near the beach which are being replaced by those awful McMansions. I’m so glad Kitty loved up this little beauty.

Remember her on the Home Show. Her home then had a wavy roof.

What HGTV shows did she do cause I’ve never seen any of them.

Julia! Thanks for the mention and for digging in and finding more photos of Kitty’s house. Her little cottage, especially the living room’s colors and her gardens, really informed my own decorating back when her book was new. And I completely appreciate how she worked with the house pretty much as it was instead of knocking it down and starting over like too many of her neighbors have done. It’s amazing what you can do with what you have if you really put your mind to it!
    .-= Tracy´s last blog ..Color Me Quizzical =-.

LOVE the cozy nature of all these rooms. I just want to curl up in that living room with a book. However, I was chuckling at the fire in the fireplace. After 3 years living in LA, never did I come across weather cold enough for a fire – hahaha.
    .-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..Thought For the Day =-.

I do remember “The Home Show.” I was in grade school and loved to watch it in the summer. I even tried to make some of the crafts. What a wonderful cottage!
    .-= Angie´s last blog .. =-.

11. hookedonhouses says

Jackie–
    Kitty hosted her own show called “Kitty Bartholomew: You’re Home” on HGTV for 8 years. I’ll add it to the post. -Julia

Yes, 2000 feet is a pretty big cottage, but at least that’s closer to reality than the 6000 sq ft giants we often see.
    I could probably hide out in her guest room for a month quite happily.. hopefully no-one would discover me stowed away there!
    .-= Struggler´s last blog ..Who let the leopards out? =-.

I loved watching Kitty’s show, on HGTV.
    Thanks so much, Julia, for the link to her website and book! I never knew what aubergine was, until I “met” Kitty:-).
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..~Late Summer Gifts~ =-.

14. Nita says

This is her house now unless it has been sold, because it has been listed for awhile. I don’t know where she is moving but would love to know. Would also love to see all her old kitchens and houses.

BTW, California is far from deserty looking, and that yard is typical of most of southern California. Things grow well near the beach where this house is. Californians typically have landscaped midwestern style, one thing that might have to change, unfortunately, in the lingering drought, but we are supposed to have a wet winter.

Oh my, this tour was extra fun. I remember Kitty from the Home Show and I also remember seeing pictures of her home somewhere. Haven’t seen her in forever. I liked her home way back when and I still like it. Charm personified. Love your blog!!! LindaSonia

Julia,
    Thanks for the memories. Kitty and Martha go hand and hand in my book. I remember watching her show….I love the red slipcovers in the fall living room. And I think I’ll steal that quote in the kitchen “A Cookie in Each Hand”….love it!
    .-= SuzyHomemaker´s last blog ..Festive Brownie Buttons =-.

I love the garden/yard of this, and the way the cottage sits in the garden/yard. But… I may not be popular in saying this… the decorating style that Kitty has used for the cottage is too country and kitch for my taste. Having said this, I can totally see and appreciate her wonderful use of fabric and colour!

I’m glad to hear you like the window Brian added to our kitchen for me!! Considering that you showcased my kitchen here on HoH, it means a whole lot that you that you love it! I love it, too!!!

Victoria @ DesignTies
    .-= Victoria @ DesignTies´s last blog ..A hot & steamy Rewind Wednesday! =-.

I am quickly falling in love with this and your other blog. You have made it such a great and interesting read.
    Hope you will continue to stop by and say hello to me.
    Are you doing Waterside Wednesday?
    I know that I would love to see your offerings.
    Janice
    .-= Janice´s last blog ..Waterside Wednesday =-.

I do remember Kitty from The Home Show. That was a while ago…but it was one of the first shows of this genre that I remember watching. She was, and is, a breath of fresh air.

I love the split door that leads to the garden.
    The slip covers in the living room do make a huge difference.
    I prefer the red…but would love changing things up twice a year.

Becky K.
    Hospitality Lane
    .-= Becky K.´s last blog ..I Told Them This Was A Bad Idea…. =-.

Thank you! It’s been so long since I’ve seen anything on Kitty.

Always loved her Christmas Time Visit to Cape May, NJ. !!!! Wish they would still repeat such programs, at Holiday time…

Gentle hugs,
    ‘Aunt Amelia’

I’ve had this book in my collection for years, and last night I pulled it out again. It really is a classic, evan though now a days I prefer a neutral color pallet.

22. Donna @ SunnySide says

Hi, Julia,
    Oh, I just love Kitty’s house. Just my style. Warm and cozy. Thanks for posting.

D

I was just thinking about a lot of celebrities that we haven’t heard from for a long time…like whatever happened to…? And Kitty Bartholomew was one of them so I decided to Google her to see what came up. Found your blog which is just terrific! I have always been a Kitty B. fan – loved her show on HGTV and was so sorry when it ended. Her mantra (It’s not what you do have, etc….) is so right on especially these days.

Thanks for this look at her house and for bringing back some great memories. Sure do wish she’d surface on television, again. Anything you could do about that?
    .-= CherylK´s last blog ..Tissue Paper Walls and Other Ramblings… =-.

24. Dwinisa says

I looooove the guest room! I will have a “framed” bed like that some day, when I have my own house 😀

Oh my gosh…reading this post made me miss Kitty’s home show on tv so much. I always loved her cozy decorating style and her casual manner and approach to things. Thanks for sharing this~
    Joanne
    apronsgonewild.blogspot.com
    apronsgonewild.etsy.com
    .-= Joanne´s last blog .. =-.

26. Ruth Ann says

I really wish Kitty would come back to HGTV. I am tired of all those home buying shows. Please come back Kitty!

• Darlene Hall says

Boy, do I ever agree with you Ruth Ann. I hardly watch HGTV anymore. There are no decorating shows on there anymore. Besides Kitty, my personal fav, Lynette Jennings was another favorite. It’s very disappointing!!!!

I agree with Ruth Ann…wish there were more shows like Kitty’s old show. I wonder if she ever sold her house? I also loved Chris Madden’s show. And whatever happened to Kenneth Brown? HGTV needs to get back on track.
    .-= CherylK´s last blog ..November Still Life =-.