Mel Gibson’s Tudor-Style Mansion in Greenwich

Mel Gibson's Old Mill Farm Estate in Greenwich Connecticut

Mel Gibson’s house in Greenwich, Connecticut, has been on the market since 2007, when the price was set at $39.5 million. Two years later, it has been slashed to $29.75 million. So if you love a bargain, now’s your chance to snap it up!

Mel Gibson's Old Mill Farm Estate

Mel-Gibson-Greenwich-dining-room

“Old Mill Farm” was designed and built by the architect Charles Lewis Bowman in 1926 for a client who loved horses. It has 15 bedrooms and 17 bathrooms, with 16,000 square feet.

Mel-Gibson-Greenwich-library

The grand living room with cathedral ceilings, dark wood-paneled walls, and stained-glass windows:

Mel Gibson's Old Mill Farm

Mel-Gibson-Greenwich-cathedral-ceiling

The house comes with a maze on the property. I love the gate leading to it:

Mel-Gibson-Greenwich-maze

I think I could be perfectly happy living in the caretaker’s cottage:

Mel Gibson's Old Mill Farm Estate Caretaker's Cottage Greenwich Connecticut

The house sits on 77 acres. The grounds and formal gardens were beautifully designed by landscape designer James Doyle. You can see the rest of the photos and get more Mel Gibson gossip in the Daily Mail.

Mel Gibson's Old Mill Farm Estate in Greenwich

10/10 UPDATE: The house just sold for $24 million. More details here.

Mel Gibson's Old Mill Farm Estate Tudor

P.S. Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more, including…

Mel Gibson's Lavender Hill Farm Property in Malibu | hookedonhouses.netLavender Hill Farm

Jon and Kate Gosselin have had their hands full lately -- not just with those cute kids of theirs, but with their marital troubles (they…
tori-spelling-dean-mcdermott-kids-at-home
Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I actually enjoy the reality show that Tori Spelling does with her husband Dean and cutie-pie kids Stella and…

Comments

1. Eileen says

I have a thing for decorative ceilings and detail work, so, yes, I like the details in this house very much. But knowing his situation, I would not want to live there, I feel the house has bad karma.

Yikes, that house would scare me! Way too big but amazing to look at. All the woodwork is amazing. I want to live in the staff quarters with you, now that’s my speed.
    ~Michelle

Michelle’s last blog post..A Junking We Will Go

I’m with you on this one, staff quarters all the way. And where have I been? I never even knew he was getting a divorce, has a girlfriend and now a baby on the way. I’m really out of the loop!!

Shannon’s last blog post..Okay, Scratch the Previous Post

Wouldn’t this be a great “Divorce–everything must go” garage sale to attend?! I got such a kick out of going back to the other Greenwich house and reading the other blogs comments on it—no wonder they were a little miffed, especially the designers :)

susan’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday….Red,White, and Blue

5. Moi says

I don’t like Mel Gibson. He has an awful personality. I am not surprised about his affair or marriage ending.

The grounds are pretty enough.

I hope that the house doesn’t sell and he has to drop it to a ridiculously low price. It would serve him right.

How many cases of Pledge would you go through each month in that house? I’m in agreement with everyone else that the staff’s house is better!

Jane’s last blog post..TOO MANY CHIVES

7. greenie says

Don’t have anything good to say about Mel, but this is a beauty. Although, I’m with you on the staff quarters—I like them better! Love the grounds as well. Reduced $10M??? Wow, that’s like a third of the asking price! Mel must be having some problems…

I’d like to join the rest of you in the staff quarters please. Do you think we’ll all squeeze in? But the gardens and grounds look gorgeous too.

Struggler’s last blog post..On a sticky wicket

9. Kathy :) says

Love the staff quarters….the grounds are pretty, guess if you wanted some alone time with 7 kids this is the place to be.

I used to like Mel….but seriously I think at some point all these Hollywood types loose their minds, they seem to loose touch with reality. Is it me??

Kathy :)

You gotta grab a bargain like this one.

Oh, but this is so pretty. I hated to hear about Mel Gibson’s marriage. Additional proof that money can’t buy happiness. But it sure can buy a beautiful house.

Richella at Imparting Grace’s last blog post..An act of God

Definately the servants house is more my speed…although that pool looks like something to die for. It does bother me that of all people “mr holy” goes and has an affair…I think he has lots of demons to deal with.
    Have a great 4th of july holiday
    Janet

Janet Doherty’s last blog post..Thank you Victoria

The “big house” is so not my style. And besides, Mel Gibson has been in it doing God-knows-what. Icky. But I will definitely take the “staff quarters”. And pool priviledges.

Tracy’s last blog post..Bright Idea

13. Louisa says

Why do people talk about star’s personalities when they don’t know them? Anyway, I would love to live on 28 acres, – peace and quiet, fresh air, no loud neighbors, seeing wildlife (God’s creatures); and I could have musical teas, in that lovely home, and family picnics on the grounds. And, dress-up dinners, and small parties with close friends and family (including children) with a big band to dance to would be so much fun.

I wish Mel happiness. He is one of the most talented writer, actor, directors on the film scene – The Passion of the Christ, Braveheart and Apocalypto, etc.

14. Kellye says

That’s an amazing house, although I don’t think I’d like to actually live in it. The detailing is fabulous, not to mention the soaring ceiling in the living room.

Mel Gibson—not ever a particular fav actor of mine, but I really dislike him for his obvious prejudices: anti-Semitic slurs, etc.

Hi Julia :)

Personally I think the home is beautiful and it is a wonderful example of the era it was built in. The grounds are gorgeous too. I think that he’s having trouble because of the economy and that’s all. If you can aford to pay the staff to take care of it and you like living in a big house… well, why not… right? :)

rue
    .-= rue´s last blog ..I’m still here… =-.

Well, its not my cup of tea, but I guess someone out there wants a house with a very “olde- worlde” feel? I’m with you, I’d take the staff quarters!
    .-= Annette Piper´s last blog ..A creative burst =-.

Mock Tudor homes aren’t my favorite, but I noticed that the photo of the dining room has a big mural on the wall. It looks like a Maxfield Parrish! Does anyone know if this is an actual work from him or is it a print?

And, like the rest of your readers, I like the staff quarters the best!
    .-= Donna´s last blog ..An Artist’s Artist =-.

18. Ryan says

The servants’ quarters would be adequate I guess, but if I ever became rich….I mean RICH rich….this is exactly the type of house I’d live in. Love all the carving, paneling, stone walls, and all the accurate Tudor details. Plus the sheer volume of that great hall is amazing. And as was mentioned, to have that much property in Greenwich is almost unheard of. It was on the market for a long time…I wonder if they’d consider a lowball offer of a hundred and fifty grand.

I can’t say Mel Gibson is my favorite actor in the world, but I SO agree with Louisa. Who the heck are we to judge somenody so harshly, especially when we don’t even know him? And, really, it’s not like he’s murdered anyone or burned down the orphanage or anything. Yes, he drove drunk and when he was busted for DUI, he shot his mouth off and said a couple ugly things. Actually I haven’t devided whether I find the term “sugar tits” offensive or funny. Maybe a little of both. But I’ve heard worse from my own drunken friends & neighbors over the years and I don’t see any reason to totally demonize those people. And, yes, he also divorced his wife after sharing a very long and mostly successful marriage. Wow, he must be the first Hollywood star to do something this awful, huh? Why no forgiveness in this one particular instance? Divorce is now the norm, not only in Hollywood but all across this country, and their marriage lasted much longer than most.

His drunken ramblings aside, if Mel Gibson does have some buried prejudices about certain things, I think it may be his father’s doing. The Gibsons used to live across the street from my Aunt Mary in Verplanck, NY (when Mel was a kid, though I don’t specifically recall meeting him back then), and Mr. Gibson had a reputation for being really out there. My aunt said he was very smart and generally nice to people, but he also had all these wild ideas and conspiracy theories and always seemed convinced that everyone was out to get him and his family. Supposedly he raised them to be as paranoid as he was/is….totally drilling that stuff into them at every opportunity. So of course it’s possible there’s still some residual paranoia about people buried inside Mel Gibson’s psyche. But even if that’s so, it doesn’t mean he actually believes everything his dad does, or that he soberly hates all Jews or whatever. I watch Cops. Very drunk people tend to say horrible things while they’re being arrested.

Anyway, a boatload of Hollywood types, people who actually know Mel or have worked with him, have defended him pretty fercely and said he’s never been anti-semitic or hateful whatsoever around them, so I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. Not saying that certain actions of his were correct….just that I’ve seen worse from others, and that we don’t know the whole story anyway, plus everyone deserves a second chance IMO. Hmmmmph!

19. Richard Orton says

I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere, but isn’t that a Maxfield Parrish mural in the dining room?

20. Makennah says

Ha!!! I would have to be the happiest person in the world if I lived in the staff quarters.
    It is a beautiful home.

With the scores of people shoehorning themselves into the staff quarters I should have just about enough help to take care of the big house…

Why do these celebrities have to walk a mile just to get to their pool??? I walk 5 feet to get to mine. And why do they need houses so big???? I live in a 5 bedroom house and wish it was a 1 bedroom its too big.
    .-= Mygossip565dotcom´s last blog ..I LOVE JENNIFER ANISTON =-.

talk about stuffy. i really can’t imagine living somewhere like that. the staff’s quarters looked a little less intimidating. you have a great weekend too julia.
    .-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..clean slate =-.

24. Marigold says

This reminds me of Pete Dawkins spectacular home (more modern and lighter and brighter — but absolutely spectacular) in Rumson. N.J., on the market originally for $29.950 million and recently lowered to $19.500 m. If they threw in the really gorgeous furnishings, then it might be a value — but it is a spectacular home (listed with Turpin realtors). Was featured in Architectural Digest in November of 2006.

Really worth a look!

25. Marigold says

I’d fill the main house with English Chintz in light, bright colors, with lots of white candles and flowers — the contrast would be stunning. As it is furnished now, it is too somber and depressing. The Guest House I’d do in Pierre Deux, again with lots of flowers and candles — so much fun!

26. Nita says

I would work for free just to live in those servant quarters of Mel’s! Lovely.

27. Christina says

Okay the outside is gorgeous. The grounds are really stunning. The inside is just too formal. It doesn’t look inviting. I don’t care how much money you have, if you’re actually living in the house, it should look and be inviting. I find it too dark, too much dark wood paneling…that’s old ’80’s – ish look. I don’t like that at all. If you need certain rooms to have a bit of darkness, use the blackout curtains. They come in beautiful styles, they just have the hanging piece that blocks out the sun. If you want to make sure the sun isn’t hitting really expensive furniture in particular colors, that would be ideal. It’s best in the bedroom for sleep though. Otherwise, I feel it needs light, should look less like a museum and should be comfortable. We call come home to our houses, townhouses, condo’s, apt’s or what have you to be comfortable and still have a stylish place as well. Comfort and beauty.

28. Rick says

I think the house would be a great B&B. A nice place to visit………. With the many volunteers in the staff quarters they could really pamper the houseguests.

Julia I am hooked on your site, keep it coming please.

rick