Nicolas Cage’s Real Estate Collection is Dwindling

by hookedonhouses on June 3, 2009

Actor Nicolas Cage is known for his love of real estate. Apparently he collects houses the way other people collect baseball cards. Unfortunately, he is now losing much of it to foreclosure. In late 2009, People.com reported that he lost two of his houses in New Orleans. NOTE: I had originally posted photos of one of those Garden District homes here, but when the agent removed the listing, she asked me to take the photos down. Both homes reportedly sold at auction.

Cage-BelAir-ext

Cage also owns this Bel-Air Tudor, which used to belong to Dean Martin. It’s on the market for $35 million.

4/10 UPDATE: Wallet Pop reports that Cage has lost this home to foreclosure, as well. It went on the auction block starting at $10.4 million, but it didn’t garner a single bid. One agent sniped that it didn’t sell because the decor is “frat-house bordello.”

Nicolas Cage-Bel Air Tudor-living rm
Cage-BelAir-Fam-Rm

Cage-BelAir-staircase

He’s having a tough year. He reportedly owes $14 million to the IRS and is being sued by both an ex-girlfriend and a former business manager. Fortunately, he’s still cranking out movies and Hollywood pays pretty well. More information about his financial situation and real estate foreclosures here.

Cage-BelAir-pool

Read more about his Bel Air home and see more photos here and here.

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to more famous pads like this one.

greenie June 3, 2009 at 9:16 am

Wow! I had no idea. He’s got great taste! I was impressed with the New Orleans property (esp that staircase with the beautiful stained glass window), but then got to the Rhode Island estate—Whew!!! What a beauty!!! :-)
Love Cage in Moonstruck…. but, (cheesy here) I like him in Valley Girl…one of those mindless diversions I can watch over and over… :-)
Thanks for posting these!

Michelle Smiles June 3, 2009 at 9:32 am

I would be SO GOOD and have so much fun doing this kind of thing if only I was independently wealthy…

Michelle Smiles’s last blog post..A stupidly smart idea

Natalia June 3, 2009 at 10:04 am

Absolutely gorgeous.

The homes…and the man.

LOL!

Loved this post :)

Natalia’s last blog post..Happy Birthday Josh!

Fifi Flowers June 3, 2009 at 10:08 am

FAN houses! I LOVE that stove in the second one! Wouldn’t you LOVE to be able to do this RE revamping? Trés FAB!!!

Claudia@DipityRoad June 3, 2009 at 11:43 am

One thing for sure— this guys has got bucks AND awesome taste. (well, if you are into the mansions sort of things) :)

I enjoy seeing all these wonderful HUGE abodes you put on here, makes me happy to think i would never wanna clean these. .. but then with all the money one certainly would have a “staff” of livin in cleaners- huh?

always fun!
TTFN ~~ Claudia

Claudia@DipityRoad’s last blog post..Cottage Details

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home June 3, 2009 at 11:43 am

Hi Julia. Thanks for featuring these homes as I’d not seen either. I love the staircases in both! ~Arleen

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home’s last blog post..Wall Decor ~ Large Round Mirrors

Pam June 3, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I love the New Orleans house, except for that dining room table. Looks like a conference room. The kitchen in the RI house is nice too. Money can’t buy happiness but it can sure buy houses!

Pam’s last blog post..One Lovely Blog Award and a REAL Break

Eileen June 3, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I think the Rhode Island home is my favorite. They are all works of art though, how could he sell such masterpieces? It would be like selling an original Van Gogh or Rembrandt, or worse, like selling the first artwork your child ever drew for you! I guess no one should get too attached to any material thing, but it hurts my heart a little to think of buying and selling homes like that. I LOVE my home, it’s humble, but it’s HOME!

Kim @ Everything Etsy June 3, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I’ll take the New Orleans one! A pretty house in a neat city, perfect!

~Kim

Kim @ Everything Etsy’s last blog post..Domestic Fashionista is in the House! {Guest Post}

Erin June 3, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I love all of these houses, they are amazing in their own ways. Who woulda thunk Nic Cage could own such stylish houses?

I very much like him in Moonstruck too. I know I’ve seen him in more movies, but I can’t remember any! I guess that is a sign that Moonstruck wins!

Erin’s last blog post..Rains on the Plain

Amanda @ Serenity Now June 3, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I adore the kitchen in the Gray Craig home!!! Can I just be honest and say that I liked NC in Con Air?? I am so embarrassed….
;)

Amanda @ Serenity Now’s last blog post..High Fashion (?)

christy June 3, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Wow he certainly does have a lot of real estate. My favorite is the New Orleans house, by far. Love it!

christy’s last blog post..I’m Chirping Again

Heathahlee June 3, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Those are so absolutely gorgeous! My favorite Nick Cage movies are the National Treasure movies. *snicker* I can’t help it!

Heathahlee’s last blog post..Coming Soon…

Becky @Farmgirl Paints June 3, 2009 at 3:02 pm

I loved him in Family Man and National Treasure. He has some really beautiful homes…wow. When I was out in Newport Beach over the winter I saw (from a distance) the house he used to own there. Must be nice to collect houses like that:)

Becky @Farmgirl Paints’s last blog post..Garden Box Project

Keyona June 3, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Gorgeous indeed! Whoow!

Keyona’s last blog post..Michael Jordan Couldn’t Compete With This Tongue

Billy June 3, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Didn’t Ann Rice and her husband redo the NOLA house before Mr. Cage purchased it.?
The RI property looks like some one made it halfway through converting it to a corporate retreat.
And greenie be proud: “Valley Girl” is the classic 80’s teen movie with the best soundtrack of all them.

used cars sioux falls June 3, 2009 at 3:48 pm

OMG I had no idea there were such stunning homes in the US! I’ve always wanted to start a blog of homes I like. Ones I see on vacation or on walks and snap pics. I love looking at cool homes.

Mom In High Heels June 3, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Wow! Nick has taste! Who knew? You know, what with the whole Elvis love, gold chains, greasy hair and all, I would never have suspected. I too love RA, but my favorite movie of his is probably Con Air. And I’m not embarrassed to say so.

Mom In High Heels’s last blog post..Random Thoughts Tuesday: Jet Lag Edition

Terry Kearns June 3, 2009 at 7:33 pm

“Maybe it was Utah” – Raising Arizona.

Ashley June 4, 2009 at 7:41 am

Wow, those are incredible houses! I’ll take them just as they are, furniture and all.

Ashley’s last blog post..Hanky Curtains

foobella June 4, 2009 at 11:50 am

though I love Moonstruck and Raising Arizona, I have to go with “Valley Girl” as my fave Nicholas Cage movie. Recently rewatched “Wild At Heart” and loving it even more than when I first saw it.

As for his houses? Can I be a housesitter?

foobella’s last blog post..Join The Hunt

Kathy :) June 4, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Interesting Julia….love his taste in houses :)

Moonstruck was an awesome movie, loved it…

Wasn’t Nic married to Lisa Presley for something crazy like a month or two ???

All the best,
Kathy :)

Linda@Lime in the Coconut June 4, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Well Nicholas, Nicholas, Nicholas….who knew?

Linda@Lime in the Coconut’s last blog post..Tropical feast for the eyes…for the soul

rue June 4, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Hi Julia :)

I think he has better taste than his ex-wife’s dad Elvis, that’s for sure LOL My favorite movie of his will always be Valley Girl. Have you seen it? It’s a total flashback to my teen years in California.

rue

rue’s last blog post..How we celebrated and the next project

hookedonhouses June 4, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Oh, yes, “Valley Girl” is another good one. I actually own that one! Great music in it, too. -Julia

kristy June 4, 2009 at 6:03 pm

He certainly has amazing taste in homes. Those are all uniquely stunning.

kristy’s last blog post..Architectural: We have blueprints.

SoBella Creations June 5, 2009 at 11:15 am

What great looking properties.

SoBella Creations’s last blog post..One Lovely Blog Award

Julie @ Organizement June 6, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Wowza…quite ornate decor!

Julie @ Organizement’s last blog post..Organizing a Kid’s Birthday Party

Jessi Scurte June 10, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Hi Julie

Have you already posted that Cameron’s house from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is on the market? Here’s the link – http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/370-Beech-Street_Highland-Park_IL_60035_1109385563

Enjoy!

hookedonhouses June 10, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Hi, Jessi! I did just post the photos of Cameron’s house. You can see it here:

Thanks for the link, though! So nice of you to think of me. -Julia :-)

Cristin June 13, 2009 at 12:14 am

beautiful house! fun post. thanks!

cristin

Cristin’s last blog post..Galbraith & Paul – What’s Not to Love

Cindy August 11, 2009 at 11:08 am

WTF!!! is this? sooo decadent! Never, ever thought that about mr. Cage…he’s sooo boring on screen…not my taste atall, but beautiful houses…

coppola August 15, 2009 at 12:55 am

hes my 3rd cousin by blood…though ive never met him i would love to. He seems like a great guy.

Christi at A Southern Life November 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm

New Orleans is the home of my heart. Love this house. Would love to have it!

Christi @ A Southern Life
.-= Christi at A Southern Life´s last blog ..Southern Fall Colors =-.

Deborah Milne November 14, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Gorgeous..gorgeous..gorgeous. He indeed has terrific taste. Such fun to see!!
.-= Deborah Milne´s last blog ..Don’t Hate Me Because I’m Beautiful =-.

Emily@remodelingthislife November 15, 2009 at 7:14 am

Do not like him one bit in movies. I just can’t watch him. But gosh, those houses are gorgeous!!!
.-= Emily@remodelingthislife´s last blog ..At The Beach For Sunrise =-.

Joslyn November 16, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Thought you might be interested in this since it directly relates to this listing – found it today (11-16-09) : see link below or text below that…

Regions Bank recently foreclosed on two upscale New Orleans homes owned by Academy Award-winning actor Nicolas Cage, according to new reports.

Last week, the Birmingham-based bank purchased the upscale homes located in the famous French Quarter and Garden District. The company, which provided a loan for the properties, bought the foreclosed homes for $4.5 billion, according to New Orleans newspaper The Times Picayune.

Regions Bank spokesman Tim Deighton confirmed that the bank foreclosed on two properties in the area that were owned by Hancock Park Real Estate Co. but “we do not discuss customer relationships or real estate transactions,” he said in a written statement.

Recently, Cage’s troubled financial situation has been aired publicly after news organizations reported that the actor owed more than $6 million in back taxes to the Internal Revenue Service.

Copyright 2009 bizjournals.com

Looking for clarity here November 21, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Nicholas Cage sure does have fine appreciation for fine homes, but I’m most curious about the info, referred to above, of his New Orleans property (properties?) being subject to foreclosure. More info, please!

Looking at the photos of his houses in New Orleans, Rhode Island and Bel-Air — all wonderful, in my opinion, in a real old-school, high-quality way — I have to wonder why he would want so many large, lavish houses, with all the upkeep and taxes involved. You can only be in one place at one time.

hookedonhouses November 22, 2009 at 12:04 am

Looking for clarity–

I just updated the post to include a link to the foreclosure story at People.com:

Sounds like he’s having a lot of money problems. I’m sure the downturn in the real estate market didn’t help when he has invested in so many properties. -Julia

Struggler November 22, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I just came to check this out having read your Cage/foreclosure posting. I thought the New Orleans house was absolutely beautiful, but the attraction paled a bit when I read how many square feet it is. That’s a lot of vacuuming!
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Surprisingly tempting party dresses =-.

molly December 14, 2009 at 1:08 am

The entry and living room of the Garden District home leave me unable to shake off the impression of a retirement home environment….an old one.
Nice stairway, though!

Kristin April 10, 2010 at 8:54 am

The swimmingpool area is gorgeous!!! Feel a little sad for Nicolas Cage, though… Hope everything works out for him! Happy Saturday!
.-= Kristin´s last blog ..Before and after – Candice Olson =-.

Lauren Dickson April 10, 2010 at 10:58 am

His Bel Air house kind of looks like the Playboy Mansion, lol. ;-)

Tracey April 10, 2010 at 11:02 am

That makes me sad…his bad taste in decor and his poor financial decisions! The pool is nice though.
.-= Tracey´s last blog ..Clip It, Clip It Good =-.

mishelle April 10, 2010 at 11:27 am

I cant help but not feel sorry for him. I mean he has many houses. I think karma is getting back at him…
.-= mishelle´s last blog ..A few of my favorite things! =-.

s-girl April 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm

wow his house is unique and ancient looking. who would have guessed his ceilings would be so artistic.

Cassie February 8, 2011 at 10:22 am

I see some replicas of some places in Nicolas Cage’s movies. I guess that’s where he got some of the house’s interior idea. He’s got nice taste, though, never thought he’d pull something like this.

{ 1 trackback }