Nicolas Cage’s Real Estate Collection is Dwindling

Actor Nicolas Cage is known for his love of real estate. Apparently he collects houses the way other people collect baseball cards. Unfortunately, he is now losing much of it to foreclosure. In late 2009, People.com reported that he lost two of his houses in New Orleans. NOTE: I had originally posted photos of one of those Garden District homes here, but when the agent removed the listing, she asked me to take the photos down. Both homes reportedly sold at auction.

Cage-BelAir-ext

Cage also owns this BelAir Tudor, which used to belong to Dean Martin. It’s on the market for $35 million.

4/10 UPDATE: Wallet Pop reports that Cage has lost this home to foreclosure, as well. It went on the auction block starting at $10.4 million, but it didn’t garner a single bid. One agent sniped that it didn’t sell because the decor is “frat-house bordello.”

Nicolas Cage-Bel Air Tudor-living rm
Cage-BelAir-Fam-Rm

Cage-BelAir-staircase

He’s having a tough year. He reportedly owes $14 million to the IRS and is being sued by both an ex-girlfriend and a former business manager. Fortunately, he’s still cranking out movies and Hollywood pays pretty well. More information about his financial situation and real estate foreclosures here.

Cage-BelAir-pool

Read more about his Bel Air home and see more photos here and here.

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to more famous pads like this one.

Comments

1. greenie says

Wow! I had no idea. He’s got great taste! I was impressed with the New Orleans property (esp that staircase with the beautiful stained glass window), but then got to the Rhode Island estate—Whew!!! What a beauty!!! :-)
    Love Cage in Moonstruck…. but, (cheesy here) I like him in Valley Girl…one of those mindless diversions I can watch over and over… :-)
    Thanks for posting these!

FAN houses! I LOVE that stove in the second one! Wouldn’t you LOVE to be able to do this RE revamping? Trés FAB!!!

One thing for sure— this guys has got bucks AND awesome taste. (well, if you are into the mansions sort of things) :)

I enjoy seeing all these wonderful HUGE abodes you put on here, makes me happy to think i would never wanna clean these. .. but then with all the money one certainly would have a “staff” of livin in cleaners- huh?

always fun!
    TTFN ~~ Claudia

Claudia@DipityRoad’s last blog post..Cottage Details

4. Eileen says

I think the Rhode Island home is my favorite. They are all works of art though, how could he sell such masterpieces? It would be like selling an original Van Gogh or Rembrandt, or worse, like selling the first artwork your child ever drew for you! I guess no one should get too attached to any material thing, but it hurts my heart a little to think of buying and selling homes like that. I LOVE my home, it’s humble, but it’s HOME!

I love all of these houses, they are amazing in their own ways. Who woulda thunk Nic Cage could own such stylish houses?

I very much like him in Moonstruck too. I know I’ve seen him in more movies, but I can’t remember any! I guess that is a sign that Moonstruck wins!

Erin’s last blog post..Rains on the Plain

Those are so absolutely gorgeous! My favorite Nick Cage movies are the National Treasure movies. *snicker* I can’t help it!

Heathahlee’s last blog post..Coming Soon…

I loved him in Family Man and National Treasure. He has some really beautiful homes…wow. When I was out in Newport Beach over the winter I saw (from a distance) the house he used to own there. Must be nice to collect houses like that:)

Becky @Farmgirl Paints’s last blog post..Garden Box Project

8. Billy says

Didn’t Ann Rice and her husband redo the NOLA house before Mr. Cage purchased it.?
    The RI property looks like some one made it halfway through converting it to a corporate retreat.
    And greenie be proud: “Valley Girl” is the classic 80’s teen movie with the best soundtrack of all them.

OMG I had no idea there were such stunning homes in the US! I’ve always wanted to start a blog of homes I like. Ones I see on vacation or on walks and snap pics. I love looking at cool homes.

though I love Moonstruck and Raising Arizona, I have to go with “Valley Girl” as my fave Nicholas Cage movie. Recently rewatched “Wild At Heart” and loving it even more than when I first saw it.

As for his houses? Can I be a housesitter?

foobella’s last blog post..Join The Hunt

11. Kathy :) says

Interesting Julia….love his taste in houses :)

Moonstruck was an awesome movie, loved it…

Wasn’t Nic married to Lisa Presley for something crazy like a month or two ???

All the best,
    Kathy :)

Hi Julia :)

I think he has better taste than his ex-wife’s dad Elvis, that’s for sure LOL My favorite movie of his will always be Valley Girl. Have you seen it? It’s a total flashback to my teen years in California.

rue

rue’s last blog post..How we celebrated and the next project

13. hookedonhouses says

Oh, yes, “Valley Girl” is another good one. I actually own that one! Great music in it, too. -Julia

14. Cindy says

WTF!!! is this? sooo decadent! Never, ever thought that about mr. Cage…he’s sooo boring on screen…not my taste atall, but beautiful houses…

15. coppola says

hes my 3rd cousin by blood…though ive never met him i would love to. He seems like a great guy.

16. Joslyn says

Thought you might be interested in this since it directly relates to this listing – found it today (11-16-09) : see link below or text below that…

Regions Bank recently foreclosed on two upscale New Orleans homes owned by Academy Award-winning actor Nicolas Cage, according to new reports.

Last week, the Birmingham-based bank purchased the upscale homes located in the famous French Quarter and Garden District. The company, which provided a loan for the properties, bought the foreclosed homes for $4.5 billion, according to New Orleans newspaper The Times Picayune.

Regions Bank spokesman Tim Deighton confirmed that the bank foreclosed on two properties in the area that were owned by Hancock Park Real Estate Co. but “we do not discuss customer relationships or real estate transactions,” he said in a written statement.

Recently, Cage’s troubled financial situation has been aired publicly after news organizations reported that the actor owed more than $6 million in back taxes to the Internal Revenue Service.

Copyright 2009 bizjournals.com

17. Looking for clarity here says

Nicholas Cage sure does have fine appreciation for fine homes, but I’m most curious about the info, referred to above, of his New Orleans property (properties?) being subject to foreclosure. More info, please!

Looking at the photos of his houses in New Orleans, Rhode Island and Bel-Air — all wonderful, in my opinion, in a real old-school, high-quality way — I have to wonder why he would want so many large, lavish houses, with all the upkeep and taxes involved. You can only be in one place at one time.

• hookedonhouses says

Looking for clarity–

I just updated the post to include a link to the foreclosure story at People.com:

Sounds like he’s having a lot of money problems. I’m sure the downturn in the real estate market didn’t help when he has invested in so many properties. -Julia

I just came to check this out having read your Cage/foreclosure posting. I thought the New Orleans house was absolutely beautiful, but the attraction paled a bit when I read how many square feet it is. That’s a lot of vacuuming!
    .-= Struggler´s last blog ..Surprisingly tempting party dresses =-.

19. molly says

The entry and living room of the Garden District home leave me unable to shake off the impression of a retirement home environment….an old one.
    Nice stairway, though!

20. Lauren Dickson says

His Bel Air house kind of looks like the Playboy Mansion, lol. 😉

21. s-girl says

wow his house is unique and ancient looking. who would have guessed his ceilings would be so artistic.

I see some replicas of some places in Nicolas Cage’s movies. I guess that’s where he got some of the house’s interior idea. He’s got nice taste, though, never thought he’d pull something like this.