Diane Keaton’s Spanish Colonial Revival-Style Mansion

Diane Keaton has put her Spanish Colonial Revival-style mansion in Beverly Hills on the market for $11.9 million. It was built in 1927 by architect Ralph Flewelling and has 7 bedrooms and 9 baths. Keaton purchased it only 2 years ago for $8.1 million and put a lot of work into restoring it.

It was featured in Architectural Digest in November of ’08:

Keaton’s home office with doors opening to the interior courtyard with fountain:

Keaton loves houses and is known for buying and flipping many of them in the LA area over the years. I wonder if it’s any coincidence that she has starred in so many films with wonderful houses in them? Some of my favorites include ones I’ve written posts about: Father of the Bride, Something’s Gotta Give, and Baby Boom.

*UPDATE*

Ryan Murphy bought this house. See how it looks now here:

Ryan Murphy's house

P.S. Visit Celebrity Houses to see more!

Comments

(Caution bad attitude alert) Maybe it’s the icy Architectural Digest style but I’m not enjoying this one very much tonight. I don’t want to be in any of those rooms even though I like the individual elements. The entrance looks like a store or a restaurant.

Terry Kearns’s last blog post..Pictures from the Duck Pond Garden Tour 2009

Beautiful house, but does not look comfy at all… did you see all those wooden benches? Ouch! The giant cactus in the kitchen are saying GET OUT to me. I wonder if those are normally there or just there for Architectural Digest photos? They do make the composition look really nice in the photo.

I do love the colorful plates on the shelves in the kitchen. That’s a great decorating idea.

3. greenie says

LOVE LOVE LOVE this house! But, everyone is right—no sofas or comfortable chairs? All the furniture looks like it belongs in a monastery.

WOW!! Amazing home. Although – I didn’t see any comfy furniture?! Maybe thru those lush leather sofas in the library, and if I had $11.1M, I may consider…LOL!
    ~angela @ peonypatch

Angela’s last blog post..Sneak Peak

Holy crap this is one of the most amazing houses I’ve ever seen. I subscribe to that magazine, but I somehow don’t remember this spread! I LOVE these pictures. What a great quote wrapping around her library. Thanks for sharing this with us Julia!

christy’s last blog post..I Chirp!

I like the house but not the way it is decorated. If they left all of the colorful dishes in the dining room, I might consider buying it. First thing I would do is change out the light fixtures. Period, maybe. Too scary for me. I like the fireplace. Not much else….

7. Norma says

I love the style of the home from the outside. The inside, I don’t know, too cold and just not comfy home to me. I did like the library with the words going around the room.I hope she gets what she wants for it.

8. Michelle says

I kinda like the cacti, maybe not on the counter, but they seem to break all the lines in the kitchen.I like the words on the wall of the library too.

It’s nice. I would rather have a place that I could feel was my own. Having someone already decorate it, it would be wasteful to redecorate.

Its nice, but like someone else said. It doesn’t look like there is one comfortable spot to sit.

wow … everything in that house is really huge and way out of scale: the aforementioned cactus, the pendants in the kitchen, even the 3 and the lettering in the library … I wonder if her house guests wake up in the morning with an Allison-in-Wonderland-oh-my-god-I-shrank-what-was-IN-that-drink-? kind of panic attack? I know I would :)

adrienne @ Susan Palmer Designs’s last blog post..Beautiful Designer Outlet & Light Switch Covers

I may be wrong, but I think it’s possible that parts of this home were used in Diane’s film ‘Hanging Up’ (with Meg Ryan and Walter Matthau). It was Meg’s character’s home in that film, though.

12. Kellye says

As other mentioned, the furniture is just too stark. I LOVE the architecture of the house itself. Beautiful!

The son of one of my mother’s best friends works w/DK on her homes.

I think her home is beautiful but I couldn’t help but notice that she has what appears to be a very uncomfortable couch in her library. I have a library in my home but I want to be able to sit in comfort and relax in there! I made sure that the furniture I chose was functional before it was eye pleasing.. it turned out to be both. :)

Nancy’s last blog post..Phobias

14. Mike says

I am IN LOVE with that Library….what a fantastic space. And I love that it has that brick floor. Very unexpected.

I think the house is as interesting as the woman, but not as warm as the characters she portrays. I kinda like the cacti though 😉

rue’s last blog post..Blooms and Poetry

16. jennifer says

Love, love this house, the architecture, the interiors, everything works. A lot of these houses have just expensive furniture, but in this house there is more, there is soul.

Diane Keaton’s homes have been a huge inspiration to me and to the whole revival of “Spanish Revival”. Monterey furniture is comfortable…I’m sitting in a Monterey easy chair right now.
    .-= Anne Winkler´s last blog ..Latest "monterey" day beds =-.

18. greg says

isn’t that the house she bought from Madonna? If so it looks familiar… it was featured in a magazine when Madonna owned it – looked a little more homey when she owned it but i love Diane’s version too

19. Joel says

I am a huge fan of Diane and and all of the Spanish Revival homes that she has restored. I love that she furnishes her homes with the appropriate furniture for the style of home! I think her homes are warm and uncluttered. A lot of people could learn from her.

When I was researching Spanish Colonial houses for one of my projects, I happened to come across the November 2008 issue of Architectural Digest. Not only does it include Keaton’s beautiful home, but the homes of Humphrey Bogart and Howard Hughes in that particular style as well.

Julia,
    You should post images of the Spanish Colonial house from the upcoming movie ‘It’s Complicated’ (directed by Nancy Meyers) with Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin.

22. Shelly Joseph says

I love the elements as well especially the “3”. The design of the hoom is great, but I was thinking that the reason the house looked not so comfy had to do with staging. It looks to me like no one is living there. Maybe thats the reason I think for the benches.. Just a thought still love the arches and the library is fantastic…

First of all, Monterey Furniture may not look comfy, but it sits comfy — I can curl into a sofa for hours and read, and the dining chairs I can sit in a for along time. It is a true genre of California furniture, born from Hollywood, Mexican influences, and made in Los Angeles — home!

Second, the home is exquisite, and appropriately done for a modern version of this period — Heaven!