Diane Keaton’s Spanish Colonial Revival-Style Mansion

by hookedonhouses on May 19, 2009

Diane Keaton has put her Spanish Colonial Revival-style, Beverly Hills mansion on the market for about $11.9 million.  It reminded me of the beautiful photos published in Architectural Digest of her home last year. It was built in 1927 by architect Ralph Flewelling and has 7 bedrooms and 9 baths.

Keaton purchased it only 2 years ago for $8.1 million and remodeled it. You can see the listing here, but only a few kinda fuzzy exterior photos are provided.*4/10 UPDATE: It’s now listed here for $10.95 million with lots of great photos.*

Here are some of the photos from the AD article that wowed so many of us in November of ’08:

Dining room:

The library:

Kitchen:

Keaton’s home office with doors opening to the interior courtyard with fountain:

Keaton loves houses and is known for buying and flipping many of them in the LA area over the years. I wonder if it’s any coincidence that she has starred in so many films with wonderful houses in them? Some of my favorites include ones I’ve written posts about: Father of the Bride, Something’s Gotta Give, Baby Boom, and The Family Stone.

To read more about Keaton’s house and its remodel, visit Big Time Listings and Architectural Digest. To see photos from the listing, click here.

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to all the others I’ve featured, from Suzanne Somers to Kelly Wearstler.

Terry Kearns May 19, 2009 at 9:24 pm

(Caution bad attitude alert) Maybe it’s the icy Architectural Digest style but I’m not enjoying this one very much tonight. I don’t want to be in any of those rooms even though I like the individual elements. The entrance looks like a store or a restaurant.

Terry Kearns’s last blog post..Pictures from the Duck Pond Garden Tour 2009

Amy @ Living Locurto May 20, 2009 at 7:56 am

Beautiful house, but does not look comfy at all… did you see all those wooden benches? Ouch! The giant cactus in the kitchen are saying GET OUT to me. I wonder if those are normally there or just there for Architectural Digest photos? They do make the composition look really nice in the photo.

I do love the colorful plates on the shelves in the kitchen. That’s a great decorating idea.

Emily@remodelingthislife May 20, 2009 at 9:27 am

Gorgeous!!

Except the gigantic cacti in the kitchen. How weird – I can’t see the kitchen!

Emily@remodelingthislife’s last blog post..Camera Strap Cover

Emily@remodelingthislife May 20, 2009 at 9:28 am

I agree that it doesn’t look like there is one comfortable spot to sit.

Emily@remodelingthislife’s last blog post..Camera Strap Cover

greenie May 20, 2009 at 9:36 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE this house! But, everyone is right—no sofas or comfortable chairs? All the furniture looks like it belongs in a monastery.

Angela May 20, 2009 at 9:37 am

WOW!! Amazing home. Although – I didn’t see any comfy furniture?! Maybe thru those lush leather sofas in the library, and if I had $11.1M, I may consider…LOL!
~angela @ peonypatch

Angela’s last blog post..Sneak Peak

songbirdtiff May 20, 2009 at 10:09 am

I agree about the uncomfy furniture and elements (cactus=ouch). I do love the library. The giant works on top really make the room.

songbirdtiff’s last blog post..Building a Dog Shelter with a Recycled Door

Ms.Tee May 20, 2009 at 11:18 am

Wow, it’s amazing – but such a departure from the light and airy houses in her movies. The dining area is my favorite, with all the colorful plates and serving dishes. :0)

Ms.Tee’s last blog post..Table for Four (in a basket, please)

Deserae May 20, 2009 at 11:29 am

Beautiful home! Like others have pointed out though it really lacks a warm and inviting feeling!
~Des

Deserae’s last blog post..What a mess he is!

Jackie Whitley May 20, 2009 at 11:30 am

For that price does the furniture stay ? Cause some doesn’t transfer well to non Spanish style housing.

christy May 20, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Holy crap this is one of the most amazing houses I’ve ever seen. I subscribe to that magazine, but I somehow don’t remember this spread! I LOVE these pictures. What a great quote wrapping around her library. Thanks for sharing this with us Julia!

christy’s last blog post..I Chirp!

Kathi May 20, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I like the house but not the way it is decorated. If they left all of the colorful dishes in the dining room, I might consider buying it. First thing I would do is change out the light fixtures. Period, maybe. Too scary for me. I like the fireplace. Not much else….

desiree May 20, 2009 at 2:36 pm

She(Diane) has a great eye both for interior design and in the photography. I believe these photos are originally from her photography book.

desiree’s last blog post..DIY Workshop: Hand Tied Bouquets, Blues and Zinfandel

Norma May 20, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I love the style of the home from the outside. The inside, I don’t know, too cold and just not comfy home to me. I did like the library with the words going around the room.I hope she gets what she wants for it.

Kristen May 20, 2009 at 3:48 pm

So my style! I’d love to buy this house for myself. A girl can dream, right? I straight up j’adore your site! Just found it a few days ago…and well, I’m hooked. ;)

Kristen’s last blog post..“Glory and passion are calling your days” {Or My New Favorite Song}

Michelle May 21, 2009 at 12:01 am

I kinda like the cacti, maybe not on the counter, but they seem to break all the lines in the kitchen.I like the words on the wall of the library too.

Mom in High Heels May 21, 2009 at 7:44 am

I’m just not a fan. I don’t like the whole Spanish Colonial style anyway, but this one really just doesn’t do it for me. Though I do love that great big red ’3′ in the library. Love. It.

Mom in High Heels’s last blog post..Get your act together and stop the schlump

Becky @Farmgirl Paints May 21, 2009 at 8:10 am

Absolutely beautiful. I’m lovin’ the words on the wall in her library and the exchange sign. Very classy, just like Miss Keaton herself.

Becky @Farmgirl Paints’s last blog post..Golf virgin no more!

DIY Claire May 21, 2009 at 8:22 am

It’s nice. I would rather have a place that I could feel was my own. Having someone already decorate it, it would be wasteful to redecorate.

Its nice, but like someone else said. It doesn’t look like there is one comfortable spot to sit.

Sandhill Sis May 21, 2009 at 9:23 am

I must be weird–but I love this one. It is my dream house really–I would just make it smaller, so I wouldn’t have to clean all that, but ohhhh how I love it.

Sandhill Sis’s last blog post..Sis’s Favorite Graduation Gift

Heather May 21, 2009 at 11:59 am

Coo! It’s a work for art…it almost looks like a hotel

Heather’s last blog post..Needlepoint Kits

adrienne @ Susan Palmer Designs May 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm

wow … everything in that house is really huge and way out of scale: the aforementioned cactus, the pendants in the kitchen, even the 3 and the lettering in the library … I wonder if her house guests wake up in the morning with an Allison-in-Wonderland-oh-my-god-I-shrank-what-was-IN-that-drink-? kind of panic attack? I know I would :)

adrienne @ Susan Palmer Designs’s last blog post..Beautiful Designer Outlet & Light Switch Covers

maria May 22, 2009 at 1:53 am

wow, that library is too die for, love it!

DebK May 22, 2009 at 2:21 am

I may be wrong, but I think it’s possible that parts of this home were used in Diane’s film ‘Hanging Up’ (with Meg Ryan and Walter Matthau). It was Meg’s character’s home in that film, though.

jessica leigh runyan May 22, 2009 at 7:34 am

oh my that is fabulous. . .
there are so many things that i adore in her home!

Kellye May 22, 2009 at 9:44 am

As other mentioned, the furniture is just too stark. I LOVE the architecture of the house itself. Beautiful!

The son of one of my mother’s best friends works w/DK on her homes.

Nancy May 22, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I think her home is beautiful but I couldn’t help but notice that she has what appears to be a very uncomfortable couch in her library. I have a library in my home but I want to be able to sit in comfort and relax in there! I made sure that the furniture I chose was functional before it was eye pleasing.. it turned out to be both. :)

Nancy’s last blog post..Phobias

le May 24, 2009 at 5:31 am

just amazing – loved it – a delightful change from contemporary or fake country looks – nice on Julia – as always bring us the best … le

le’s last blog post..No I am not Third on the Right

Mike May 26, 2009 at 11:01 am

I am IN LOVE with that Library….what a fantastic space. And I love that it has that brick floor. Very unexpected.

rue May 27, 2009 at 11:04 am

I think the house is as interesting as the woman, but not as warm as the characters she portrays. I kinda like the cacti though ;)

rue’s last blog post..Blooms and Poetry

Robin June 12, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Diane Keaton is so great. I just met her last month, in fact! see here: http://supernaturalbotanicals.com/blog/my-night-with-diane-keaton

She not only has great interior design style, she also has a great fashion style.

Joanne June 23, 2009 at 11:47 am

Beautifully, classically done!

jennifer August 29, 2009 at 11:42 am

Love, love this house, the architecture, the interiors, everything works. A lot of these houses have just expensive furniture, but in this house there is more, there is soul.

Anne Winkler September 10, 2009 at 10:18 am

Diane Keaton’s homes have been a huge inspiration to me and to the whole revival of “Spanish Revival”. Monterey furniture is comfortable…I’m sitting in a Monterey easy chair right now.
.-= Anne Winkler´s last blog ..Latest "monterey" day beds =-.

greg October 13, 2009 at 1:37 am

isn’t that the house she bought from Madonna? If so it looks familiar… it was featured in a magazine when Madonna owned it – looked a little more homey when she owned it but i love Diane’s version too

Joel November 15, 2009 at 12:57 am

I am a huge fan of Diane and and all of the Spanish Revival homes that she has restored. I love that she furnishes her homes with the appropriate furniture for the style of home! I think her homes are warm and uncluttered. A lot of people could learn from her.

Evee November 25, 2009 at 9:00 am

Very Ezquisite

Tami November 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I love this house too fun!
.-= Tami´s last blog ..3 Men do great things! =-.

Lawrence December 1, 2009 at 2:37 am

When I was researching Spanish Colonial houses for one of my projects, I happened to come across the November 2008 issue of Architectural Digest. Not only does it include Keaton’s beautiful home, but the homes of Humphrey Bogart and Howard Hughes in that particular style as well.

Lawrence December 16, 2009 at 12:01 am

Julia,
You should post images of the Spanish Colonial house from the upcoming movie ‘It’s Complicated’ (directed by Nancy Meyers) with Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin.

Emilie Verbeek May 7, 2010 at 3:18 am

What a home !
Thanks for sharing; I’ve applied this inspiring blog post for my own.
.-= Emilie Verbeek´s last blog ..Put your heart into it =-.

Shelly Joseph May 19, 2010 at 10:42 am

I love the elements as well especially the “3″. The design of the hoom is great, but I was thinking that the reason the house looked not so comfy had to do with staging. It looks to me like no one is living there. Maybe thats the reason I think for the benches.. Just a thought still love the arches and the library is fantastic…

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com July 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm

WOW! Lovely, Spanish, and funky. Very cool.
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com´s last blog ..Contest- Superhero Needed =-.

Kris Smith August 30, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Love the home -Love Diane! Here is an article from my blog…
.-= Kris Smith´s last blog ..My Hero- Diane Keaton- over 65 and wearing polka dots!! =-.

kate April 18, 2011 at 10:56 am

First of all, Monterey Furniture may not look comfy, but it sits comfy — I can curl into a sofa for hours and read, and the dining chairs I can sit in a for along time. It is a true genre of California furniture, born from Hollywood, Mexican influences, and made in Los Angeles — home!

Second, the home is exquisite, and appropriately done for a modern version of this period — Heaven!

{ 8 trackbacks }