Got $150 Million? The Spelling Manor Can Be Yours!

by hookedonhouses on April 2, 2009

Candy Spelling has put her 57,000 sq ft mansion, known as “The Manor,” on the market for $150 million. She built the unimaginably big estate with her famous television-producer husband Aaron Spelling, who died in 2006. She’s “downsizing” to a 16,000 sq ft condo in a new building called “The Century.”

In this fascinating video tour of The Manor (below), Candy Spelling admits that the house got so big because she didn’t understand the scale of blueprints and thought the original room sizes looked “too small” on paper. She says that Aaron put his foot down and nixed the plans for another huge wing that was going to be built on, or this place would’ve been even bigger.

Also in this piece produced by CBS news, Candy claims she doesn’t know how many bathrooms there are, demonstrates how the living room magically transforms into a screening room at the flick of a switch, and lets us look inside the infamous “doll museum” and gift-wrapping rooms we’ve heard so much about.

Watch CBS Videos Online

Candy Spelling told People magazine that if she thought she’d someday have a relationship with her daughter Tori and her grandchildren, she’d keep the house for them:

“If I had any hope that I would have a relationship with my grandchildren I would never sell this house. I’ve fantasized for years about a wonderful playhouse on the grounds for children.”  Still, she hasn’t lost hope entirely. She made sure there is a playroom in her new condo in case the grandkids ever do visit. “Someday my grandchildren will know who I am because of the trust funds I’ve set up, but I would like to be part of their lives now,” says Spelling. “I would have loved to have built that playhouse for them.”

Apparently things still haven’t thawed out between them since Aaron’s death, which is sad. To see my post about Tori Spelling’s (much more modest) home that she shares with her husband Dean McDermott and their children, click here.

UPDATE: Tori and Candy have reportedly patched things up since I wrote this post. To see photos of Tori and Dean’s new home in Encino, click here.

For more nitty gritties on The Manor, check out what The Real Estalker had to say about it. I like the point she makes about the living room that turns into a screening room. If you have a house that big, why do you have to have a room pulling double duty?

Shannon April 2, 2009 at 8:28 am

“All I can say is “my word. And I was worried our house might feel too big.

Denise April 2, 2009 at 8:28 am

It’s terrible when you can’t remember how many bathrooms are in your mansion!!

Denise’s last blog post..The Geek Squad hits Seattle

Angela April 2, 2009 at 8:31 am

My husband and I saw this ‘house’ online this past weekend, and I immediately thought of you! I really cannot wrap my brain around the idea of living in a mansion so large! What an adventure for children though! It reminds me of “The Secret Garden” for some reason.
Thanks for sharing!
~angela

Angela’s last blog post..Traumatized by Food

The Moggit Girls April 2, 2009 at 8:48 am

150 million? Uhm, yeah– No.

The Moggit Girls’s last blog post..If These Walls Could Talk…

Linda Merrill April 2, 2009 at 8:53 am

Well, I do love a nicely tricked out gift wrapping room – no question. But ultimately, it shows that no matter how much money you have, it’s pretty useless without your family.

Linda Merrill’s last blog post..It’s April Food Day: Bloggers Fighting Hunger

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage April 2, 2009 at 8:58 am

It’s so sad about the relationship between Candy and Tori. Tori actually seems fairly down to earth, but her mom?…not so much. Can you tell I’ve read a few too many tabloids?

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage’s last blog post..Let’s Hear it for the Girls!

Luphia April 2, 2009 at 9:03 am

i’d rather buy a whole island in dubai i think :)

Luphia’s last blog post..A Blissful Morning

Gennaro April 2, 2009 at 9:31 am

Recession special?

Gennaro’s last blog post..More Women Traveling Solo

Jane @ Beach House April 2, 2009 at 9:48 am

Only if she takes the creepy dolls with her

Jane @ Beach House’s last blog post..Lean bacon as design muse

Grace April 2, 2009 at 10:10 am

I think she’s going to have a heck of a time trying to find someone to buy that house. It’s just too custom.

Grace’s last blog post..Earth Hour

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home April 2, 2009 at 10:55 am

I can only imagine the inside of her bedroom closet!

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home’s last blog post..Selling your home? Put cookie dough in the oven!

Jackie Whitley April 2, 2009 at 11:16 am

Here’s a dumb blond joke waiting to happen :

“Candy Spelling admits that the house got so big because she didn’t understand the scale of blueprints and thought the original room sizes looked “too small” on paper.”

Oy vey …… Maybe she should have built the playhouse first !

Sandra April 2, 2009 at 11:31 am

Hello:
I’ve been looking all over for interior photos of the Bewitched house (2005 version). Then I thought..Maybe Hooked on Houses has it??? Yes????
Have a great day!
A Fan in Park City, UT

Ramona April 2, 2009 at 11:32 am

I just don’t get the warm and fuzzies over this home…but the bowling alley looks fun. They should turn it into a cool movie theatre…each room could show a different movie and then you could eat lunch or dinner in those gardens….now we just need to get some millions together.

Ramona

Ramona’s last blog post..Finials ~ Still Not My Final Word On ‘EM

Robin April 2, 2009 at 11:34 am

Umm, that’s just a tad over done, don’t ya think?

Robin’s last blog post..

Jackie Whitley April 2, 2009 at 11:47 am

Watched the video…where would they have put another wing ? That breakfast room was a tad busy with that wallpaper.

hookedonhouses April 2, 2009 at 11:50 am

Sandra–
Funny you should ask. I just finished writing a post about the “Bewitched” movie with Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell. The movie wasn’t so great, but I loved Isabelle’s house in it! I’ve decided to wait and post it in October, though, since it seemed perfect for “Halloween Month” (I also wrote a post about the original Bewitched house from the TV series that I’ll be publishing then). But don’t worry–I’ll e-mail you a few of the photos to hold you over. -Julia :-)

Tam April 2, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Amazzzing isn’t it? I have a friend who’s husband sell’s real estate in that area and price range. It is an almost unimaginable life style these folks live! But I think I could manage if I had too-Lol! Thanks for another great post Julia~Hugs&Smiles~Tam!

Tam’s last blog post..FREE Friday!!!

Billy April 2, 2009 at 12:28 pm

The house dominates the landscape and is overbuilt even for Holmby.
Is she back handedly sharing something about Randy, the other kid, that she feels he can never give her a grandchild, or just being her wild self?

Mom in High Heels April 2, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Wow. Just wow. Why would you even need a house that big? They had what, 2 kids? Come on. That’s just showing off.
I mean, yeah, the palaces and castles of Europe are HUGE (I’ve been inside Buckingham Palace and it is massive), but those places were built to house royal courts which could be thousands of people. That big of a house for 4 people is just silly. And those dolls are creepy!

Mom in High Heels’s last blog post..Grandparents

laura @ the shore house April 2, 2009 at 1:57 pm

I’ll have to see how much I get back on my taxes this year before I can commit. :-)

laura @ the shore house’s last blog post.."It all started one day last summer…"

Emily April 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm

That is so crazy- I saw that on tv- Candy doesn’t even know how many bathrooms are in her own house! That woman is nuts and that house is even more nuts. Who needs a house that big for one person!

Emily’s last blog post..Room Love

montee April 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I read Tori Spelling’s book and if it’s true what she wrote about her mother, that lady is one nutcase. I think The Manor is quite tacky. I like Tori and Dean’s house much better.

Amy April 2, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Wow! I can’t imagine living in a house like that. I also like Tori and Dean’s house much better.

Amy’s last blog post..Spring Break Snapshot

Sue | SA Commercial Propery April 3, 2009 at 4:11 am

I can only imagine living in a house like that actually not, its a house not a home, its far to big. It is really stunning but can you imagine not even knowing how many bathrooms your house hase thats just crazy.

ida April 3, 2009 at 5:39 am

looks more like a museum. i dont care for the doll room at all. i agree with the other poster i would rather have an island in dubai……one of the world islands. and she is downsizing to 16,000 sq ft…….amazing. perhaps postmaster potter wont mind buying it for her. he likes expensive houses while he lays off the employees.

Jen H. April 3, 2009 at 8:27 am

That kind of ostentatious display of extreme wealth is disgusting. She’s obviously a nutcase. Tori seems amazingly normal despite having grown up like that, with that woman as a mother. I guess she escaped with her sanity intact. I haven’t read Tori’s book, but I wonder if all her plastic surgery was her idea, or her mother’s.

black eyed susans kitchen April 3, 2009 at 10:44 am

That place will surely make a lovely hotel some day…I would think that it is lonely to live in a place like that.
?, Susan

black eyed susans kitchen’s last blog post..WEDDING RING CHINA

Laura Ingalls Gunn April 3, 2009 at 11:09 am

I’d like to go to the downsizing sale! :)

Laura Ingalls Gunn’s last blog post..The queen of hearts

SoBella Creations April 3, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I can not imagine a house that huge. And to say she is going to 16,000 sq ft is still a lot of house. Yikes!

SoBella Creations’s last blog post..EtsyKids Spring Egg-stravaganza April 2-4!

Amy April 3, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I’m sure the cleaning staff know exactly how many bathrooms are in that house!

Amy’s last blog post..Supersize your bed

Kathy :) April 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Rainy day here….checking in :)

Honest to goodness Julia I don’t know if this pad is big enough for me lol !!!

I can’t believe she does not speak to her daughter or has never seen her granddaughter…she can have that big house, what good is all that if you don’t have your family !!!

Have a nice week-end,
Kathy :)

Waterfront Real Estate USA April 4, 2009 at 9:27 am

Wow what a place. Whilst at it, what an interesting blog and some grest articles. Someone has gone to great deal of effort here so well done. Nice read.

Robyns Online World April 5, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Heck – only $150 mil? I’ll take 3 of them! LOL!

Honestly, even if I had that much money I just can’t see needing something THAT big!

Robyns Online World’s last blog post..Twitter too much? Try Flutter!

ida April 6, 2009 at 1:55 am

i know another comment on this house. whew. you know i was sitting here and thinking i think this house is bigger then the white house. you know washington dc type of whitehouse. so i googled it……….only about 2,000 square ft bigger. lol and that in the back isnt a helicopter landing spot its a water fountain. this lady is a trip. she needs to find God and get her family back. http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:2MUVnnpZYCYJ:www.whitehousehistory.org/06/subs/06_b.html+what+is+the+square+footage+of+the+whitehouse&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

bungalow_bliss April 6, 2009 at 8:40 am

The one word that came to mind?

Ridiculous.

bungalow_bliss’s last blog post..Ready for the Rain

Lisa in Australia April 10, 2009 at 1:44 am

So many people had the thoughts that I did. I am sure Candy isn’t going around with a dust cloth and pail. I am sure there are an army of cleaners to keep it so pristine. It just does not feel cosy – bit is not better. I suppose they probably lived a secluded life – if Aaron & Candy went out they were probably harassed, so I guess they thought they’d spend their time at home. I wish we had seen her closets. I love seeing closets of huge houses and rich folks. I always imagine what my closet would be like if I was super rich!!

greenie May 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Wow! Freaky! I love some of the responses here–too funny. How can anyone feel comfortable in a space that huge? Too much excess and trying to fill up a void or something. It’s really a shame, because from what I’ve read over the years, Aaron Spelling really loved Tori and doted on her. And then after he dies, this wing-nut mother basically disowns her because she dumps the man her mother approves of and hooks up with the man she’s in love with instead. And now she’s all alone… surprise!

Nathan September 8, 2009 at 12:36 am

I personally think the Spelling mansion is ugly, and can’t understand why someone would want to live in a house that size. And I also love that for Candy, moving into a 16,000 sq ft home is considered downsizing. Oh the life…

Kate September 22, 2009 at 12:58 am

new money..eek so tacky…I dont know how people are fufilled by all this crap filling her house and empty rooms… she doesnt look happy.

Megan April 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Can I be honest and say I’d love to live here for the sole fact that I could play a monster game of hide-and-go-seek? (Yep, I’m 24.)

I love the idea of having special rooms for collections though. What I REALLY want to see are the closets.

Debbie April 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm

If Candy Spelling doesn’t even know where all her bathrooms are, I hope she has a large supply of Depends!!

Tori Spelling is a hard worker, even if you don’t like her you have to admit she is a go-getter. I think her mother is jealous that Tori can actually do things on her own while Candy stays home and talks to herself after playing with her dolls to long.

{ 3 trackbacks }