Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott’s Love Nest

Tori Spelling and husband Dean McDermott have a reality show on Oxygen called “Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood.” This season we watched as they bought their home and renovated it from top to bottom. Big-Time Listings says they paid $2.27 million for it in January ’08, and it’s now on the market for $2.3.

Tori and Dean live in the Westwood area of L.A. The house was built in 1925 and has 3,300 square feet with 5 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths. According to the MLS description:

Nestled in a charming pocket of Westwood, this home is ideal for entertaining featuring French doors off the main rooms that lead to lushly manicured yard w/ saltwater pool & spa. The property boasts a grand living room with designer fireplace, media room and formal dining room.

Take a look at the listing photos:

Liam’s nursery:

Stella’s nursery:

What do you think? Did you watch them renovate it on their show? I got sucked into “Home Sweet Hollywood” because I wanted to see how this house would turn out. After all the work they did on it, I was surprised to hear they were selling it already.

Spelling’s memoir sTORI Telling came out earlier this year and talks about what it was like growing up as the daughter of Aaron Spelling, which the Guinness Book of World Records calls the most prolific TV producer in history.

After his death in 2006, it was reported that she had been “disinherited.” It turns out she did receive some money, but it was less than a million dollars from his multimillion-dollar estate.

Here’s what she had to say about life in the “The Manor,” the sprawling home her parents built when she was a teenager, which is famous for being the largest private residence in California:

People are always asking about my parents’ mansion, which they called the “Manor.” After demolishing Bing Crosby’s former estate in Holmby Hills, a fancy neighborhood in west L.A., they spent six years building the Manor. It’s about 46,000 square feet (slightly over an acre) and has 123 rooms. Not that I counted or measured. I got those figures from the press, just like everyone else.

Anyway, we moved in when I was seventeen and I only lived there for two years. In some ways the house is like a normal house, but everything is on a bigger scale. It has four floors: the basement (which we call the “Lower Level,” probably because that’s its designation on the elevator) and the first, second, and third floors.

The first floor has a kitchen, a breakfast room, a dining room, an office, a family room, a living room, and a projection room. There’s a grand foyer with sweeping staircases on each side. Oh, and there’s also a guards’ room and the staff dining room. Everyone except fancy guests comes through the service entrance into a hallway with the guards’ room and the kitchen.

The house is reportedly 56,000 square feet and covers three acres of land. The property taxes alone on this place are reportedly over $700,000 a year. (It’s now on the market. Click here for more info.)

UPDATE: Check out photos of Tori’s new house and the Spelling Manor.

final3
Boy, what a crazy week it's been. If you follow me on Twitter, then you know I spent Election Day in the hospital while my…
Nicole Kidman Keith Urban 9579-Lime-Orchard Bev Hills CA
Celebrity super-couple Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban purchased this contemporary $4.7 million home in Beverly Hills with 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, and 4,100 square feet.…

Comments

Well, I think Tori should be on Design Star. but remember how I don’t always get it? Maybe they’d like her.

I liked her wood floors, but were those vertical blinds in the ho-hum-for-a million-something-dollar-house-bathroom?

And doesn’t poor little Liam look like the ignored and rejected child in that OK picture? It made me sad!

Why it is so fun to see inside celebrity homes? I love it! At least it seems like Tori’s house has some personality. Lots of times it seems like a decorator does it all and the homeowner has no input.

That said, some of the colors are too bright for me. Those red kitchen chairs and the tangerine couch! In that photo of the staircase, you can actually see the children’s rooms glowing at the top.

Thanks for the peek inside, Julia.

Whew! Maybe the wallpaper in the dining room is what keeps them thin. It would be hard to eat in there with those walls.

I have only seen her show once or twice and she couldn’t back out of a driveway so I just had to turn the channel…
    I think the home is gorgeous…with the exception of the kids’ rooms! I like the random colors – such as the sofas and kitchen chairs. And I’m especially lovin that salt water pool!!
    Thanks for sharing!! :-)

I like their home much more than I thought I would, especially the kitchen. Is it bad that I know the answers to your questions?

Liam’s nickname — Monkey
    The pug’s name is something like Mimi LaRoux
    I didn’t watch the shortcom, so I don’t know who played the mother. :-/

I love the outdoor spaces and the kitchen. Most of the rooms I like, but couldn’t personally live with those wall paper choices. I like that she goes for it though…well, except for in the bathroom. Very tame in comparison.

Obviously it’s just me since folks here are raving, but between the dining room and the living room, I felt like Dean Martin was going to come out with a martini in his hand and one of the Gold Diggers under his arm. It’s a little to early 70s for me. Also, I worry about Stella and Liam’s retinas.

Oh, don’t forget the famous room in “the Manor” talked about on the sitcom that was purely for wrapping gifts!!

I am a crazy fan of the show and loved all of the renovating they did to this house, it was just so “cookie-cutter” before they got a hold of it. I can’t believe they are already selling it.
    Liam’s nickname is Monkey
    Tori’s pug is name MiMi LaRoue (Spelling)
    Loni Anderson played her mom is So Notorioud

9. lara jane says

What was the “before” of this house like? Was it still “1925” or had it been previously “updated?” I’m not okay with changing a 1920s house to be more “modern,” but it’s cool if it had already been jacked up by previous owners. (not that anyone is asking for my blessing! lol)

10. Billy says

Yup she’s moving to a larger place in a really good part of Encino so its okay.
    So now she is going to be a Valley Girl,
    and for that there is no cure.

11. Kathy :) says

Hi Julia,

I have to say I really like the outdoor spaces that pool is a WOW !!!

I’ll bet her kids aren’t good sleepers, unless they sleep with sunglasses on, YIKES huh ???

Have a great day,
    Kathy :)

***Is the patient up and about ???

Liz’s comments are cracking me up. I had visions of Liberace at the head of the dining table, myself.

I do like the kitchen/family room and the lovely entry hall with the stairway. Suprisingly demure for where I envisioned a Tori Spelling to live. Well, at least those rooms are.

The house ouside is beautiful (Love my home state’s style), but the inside is AWFUL! Bad bad bad taste…. quick! Show me something pretty!!! LOL

rue

Interesting…….hmmmmmmmm……we thought the master bath would be nicer though!!
    It’s nice to see something that reflects their personalities instead of “the norm”!

I love Tori….for anyone who hasn’t read her book yet it’s very entertaining, especially the story of her mother and the Madame Alexander dolls…I’m not a fan of Dean, he’s kinda creepy and I thought she could have done a bit better…You hope that he did’nt marry her thinking it was a big pay day…

16. Martha says

Banal throughout except for the dining room, which shows cohesion (but looks “Manhattan” to me).

17. Joy says

The house is okay. My least favorite room is the kitchen as it has so little warmth. I love the OK picture and don’t think that Liam looks ignored or rejected….he looks like he saying “whatcha doin'”? It can be hard to get an 18 month old child to sit still.

This is my favorite home EVER. I absolutely adore Hollywood Glamour. Fantastic. I could look at these pictures all day. I’ve actually had them saved on my computer since the episode premiered.

Cary’s last blog post..Thank you Nester!!!

19. April says

1. Her nickname for Liam is MONKEY
    2. Her pugs name was MIMI LA RUE
    3. LONI ANDERSON played her mom.

I am a fan and if I had the money I would buy that mansion … it is awesome!!! :)

I like her new house better. But I do love Liam’s nursery – it’s wonderful whimsical! And I love her bright orange couch and the blue one…wonder if they’re bringing them with them to the new house? I’ve never seen any of her shows, but if she’s decorating the new one on her show, I might tune in.
    .-= christy´s last blog ..To Spanx or not to Spanx, that is the question. =-.

21. nallian says

Both houses are beautiful. The nurseries are so adorable. I think Tori’s taste is awesome. The house exudes her quirky ecletic tasteful style. It may not be for everyone but that is ok. I do not understand the very negative statements made by some.
    The comments made about Liam are absurd. The babies are the center of the families lives. If you watch the show, the family seems very grounded even with the cameras rolling. It seems like they are doing a great job.

22. greenie says

Does anyone now the paint color of the master bedroom – just love it.

23. Katie says

I love this house! I think Tori and Dean have fabulous style!! Their house has so much personality and it’s design really stands out. So happy to see they aren’t afraid to use color and that its not too “cooki-cutter” :) Love, Love it!!

24. malloryj says

Dean is wayyyy too good to be with tori. He is so supportive and hot. He is genuine and sweet and she is whiny, annoying, and fearful about everything.! All she cares about is planning parties, staying off motorcycles (how unsupportive) , and overcommiting to books while Dean takes care of the beautiful children. Make a new airsickness bag Dean! You deserve way more!!!!