Teri Garr’s California Cottage

Actress Teri Garr’s charming California cottage has 2 bedrooms, 3 baths. She just sold it for an undisclosed amount, but it was on the market for $3.99 million. According to the listing:

Beyond the gates and gardens lies an irresistibly charming California cottage. Dramatic and private, this light filled home originally built in 1924 is in the heart of Brentwood Park. There are two bedroom suites, the master is glorious and fills the entire second floor. There is a cozy office, warm and wonderful living room and inviting kitchen. Several sets of French doors open to the rear garden with pool/spa + guest house above the garage.

Big Time Listings broke the story that Teri Garr was selling her Brentwood house, explaining:

The enormously likable Garr, who sadly suffered a brain aneurysm in 2006 and also in 2002 had announced that she suffers from multiple sclerosis, told the Daily News of Los Angeles that ‘the other day, a guy came to fix my computer, and I told him, ‘I’ve got good news and bad news. The bad news is I’ve got to sell my house because I can’t work. The good news is I’m walking.’ He said, ‘I think the good news is much better than the bad news.’ I have to look at it that way.’

P.S. Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more!

Madonna's Manhattan apartment was featured in Architectural Digest back in the early 1990s, but I just came across it on their website recently. I was…
House and Garden magazine cover Gwyneth Paltrow
This was the last cover of House & Garden before the mag folded in 2007. Since House & Garden is now gone and so is…

Oh, her home is so beautiful. I’m so sad that she has to sell it. I absolutely loved her in Mr. Mom and Tootsie. :-(

I would never have guessed right. Love the gardens!
    I love when you have these little guessing games… I came up with a little one myself for today… you are an inspiration!

How sad that she had to sell her beautiful home, especially when it was very “modest” (relative to Hollywood standards!). But, the computer guy was right. The good news is much better!

What a beautiful little home…looks like it could have been a great nest for her. Hope things go the way she needs them to. I remember her in Young Frankenstein!

5. Kathy :) says

I love this little game of yours Julia….

Such a sweet little home, like I said yesterday about her bedroom, it suits her.

The computer guy was right. Hopefully she will find a new nest and make it just as cute, I know I for one will be rooting for her she is one of my all time faves. Good luck Terri sending out some positive vibs your way ~~~~ !!

Great post Julia,
    Kathy :)

Oh, sad story. Even though I don’t really know who she is. LOVE the porches and gardens of her ex-house. The neutral colors of the house really make the green gardens pop and blue pool sparkle. Very spa like, indeed.

I love everything about this cozy home. It does suit her to a T. Sounds like she is rolling with the punches, which is just what you’d expect from her.

So sad, but I am sure she will make the best of whatever comes her way and will do it with grace and a sense of humor. She is such a great role model for Hollywood ( don’t get me started, lol.).

Thank you for all your support and prayers! Your comments were wonderfully uplifting as we read them today!

kari & kijsa

I think this might be my favorite celeb home you’ve shown so far. So comfy, not pretentious, so California (in a beachy way, not an ostentatious way). Loved these pics. I think she has a good outlook….hopefully she can still focus on the “good news”. 😉

You are so right–unpretentious and so sweet! I will study those photos for some inspiration.

I was a big fan of Mr. Mom in the 80s. I hate that she now suffers from MS.

I love the pictures of her house. It’s so open and airy! I’ve never heard of this actress. Maybe I’m just too young.

She sounds someone I’d like to know in person.
    And her home is beautiful. All the white is so bright and cheerful.
    What a great post!

I LOVE this home. You can tell that she really loved and cared for this house. That kitchen…oh my!

Smiles ~ Ramona

I love Teri Garr. She’s such a wonderful inspiration to those with MS and others who may have different health issues. So sad she has to sell her home. :-(

This is a truly beautidul home and it glowed with the heart of the owner. She will go on and create a lovely home no matter where she lives. How sad that she had to leave such a place…

She has always been one of my favorites and it made me so sad when I first heard about her health concerns.

Thank you for showing this…it was just perfection.

Thanks for sharing Terrie’s beautiful home with us. I was aware of her MS, but not the aneurisms. Your writing is very kind and supportive.

This is a beautiful, warm and unpretentious home, and I would love to live here. How sad that she had to sell it, but I think all of us would agree that nothing beats having our health.

19. oldhousejunkie says

I always thought that members of the Screen Actors Guild had good health benefits. Perhaps she couldn’t afford both her health insurance premiums and her mortgage at the same time. Maybe it was just too much house for her to keep up, even with help. Nice house, but a sad story.

Love the house and thanks for the great tour, Julia. I’ve always loved Teri Garr in everything, and you’re right – the house reflects the personality we’ve seen. I’m pulling for her!

The home is beautiful and exudes California cottage. I feel so badly for her.

22. Billy says

$4,000k in Baldwin park on that lot, in 2004, sadly, that would of been a teardown. Now…?

SAG insurance you have to work so many hours on a union job in a certain period to maintain eligibility.When you see someone from the past show up on a sit com, CSI or Law and Order, a lot more times than you would think that appearance is to keep the actor, and their dependants, eligible for the insurance.

What a gorgeous home, how sad it is she has to sell it. Glad to know that she’s being pragmatic about it, I hope she finds somewhere else as lovely and calm.

24. Greg says

Lovely home just discovered this site. I grew up adoring Teri Garr and now I have MS. I know she is an inspration for me. DO read her book and to think of her Steve Martin painting story horrible HE SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT HOUSE FOR HER.

A big hug to Teri

I just discovered your WONDERFUL site and I was so enjoying it (Mrs. Miniver! Oh, favorite, favorite, based much of my decorating on that house!!) until I got here and reality slapped me in the face.

I adore my sweet Craftsman cottage that I bought on my own (a widow with four kids) and renovated all by myself, painted, tore up nasty carpet, ripped down awful vertical blinds, spackled, repaired, you name it. Then I got MS too.

Now I cannot even go in the basement to do my laundry. Cannot work, like Teri, but unlike Teri I cannot walk anymore either. I will lose the house if I am unable to sell it first.

If it happened to her and she survived, I guess I will survive too. But my heart will always be here, in this cozy home where there was so much joy and love.