Teri Garr’s California Cottage

by hookedonhouses on August 12, 2008

Actress Teri Garr’s charming California cottage has 2 bedrooms, 3 baths. She just sold it for an undisclosed amount, but it was on the market for $3.99 million. According to the listing:

Beyond the gates and gardens lies an irresistibly charming California cottage. Dramatic and private, this light filled home originally built in 1924 is in the heart of Brentwood Park. There are two bedroom suites, the master is glorious and fills the entire second floor. There is a cozy office, warm and wonderful living room and inviting kitchen. Several sets of French doors open to the rear garden with pool/spa + guest house above the garage.

Garr began her career as a dancer, becoming a regular performer on the Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour. Her first big film role was as Inga, the beautiful assistant in Young Frankenstein (with Gene Wilder):

She then had some career-making roles in movies like “Mr. Mom,” “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” and “Oh, God!”

She snagged an Oscar nom for best supporting actress in Tootsie as the people-pleasing actress Sandy (with Dustin Hoffman) in “Tootsie.”

When I was in college, everyone used to gather on weeknights in the dormitory lounge to watch Letterman, and Garr was a frequent–and very funny–guest.

Big Time Listings broke the story that Teri Garr was selling her Brentwood house, explaining:

The enormously likable Garr, who sadly suffered a brain aneurysm in 2006 and also in 2002 had announced that she suffers from multiple sclerosis, told the Daily News of Los Angeles in an article that ran on April 21, 2008 that ‘the other day, a guy came to fix my computer, and I told him, ‘I’ve got good news and bad news. The bad news is I’ve got to sell my house because I can’t work. The good news is I’m walking.’ He said, ‘I think the good news is much better than the bad news.’ I have to look at it that way.’

In October 2002, Garr went public with her MS on “Larry King,” saying, “I’m telling my story for the first time, so I can help people. I can help people know they aren’t alone, and tell them there are reasons to be optimistic because today treatment options are available”.

She has become a leading advocate in raising awareness for MS and the latest treatments for the disease and a National Ambassador for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to all of the others I’ve posted.

D August 13, 2008 at 12:08 am

She also played Pheobe’s mom on “Friends”

Brandee August 13, 2008 at 12:15 am

Oh, her home is so beautiful. I’m so sad that she has to sell it. I absolutely loved her in Mr. Mom and Tootsie. :-(

Fifi Flowers August 13, 2008 at 2:21 am

I would never have guessed right. Love the gardens!
I love when you have these little guessing games… I came up with a little one myself for today… you are an inspiration!

Bella August 13, 2008 at 6:34 am

Beautiful gardens!

Kathryn August 13, 2008 at 6:56 am

How sad that she had to sell her beautiful home, especially when it was very “modest” (relative to Hollywood standards!). But, the computer guy was right. The good news is much better!

Linda B August 13, 2008 at 7:16 am

What a beautiful little home…looks like it could have been a great nest for her. Hope things go the way she needs them to. I remember her in Young Frankenstein!

Kathy :) August 13, 2008 at 7:49 am

I love this little game of yours Julia….

Such a sweet little home, like I said yesterday about her bedroom, it suits her.

The computer guy was right. Hopefully she will find a new nest and make it just as cute, I know I for one will be rooting for her she is one of my all time faves. Good luck Terri sending out some positive vibs your way ~~~~ !!

Great post Julia,
Kathy :)

Jessica August 13, 2008 at 8:04 am

Oh, sad story. Even though I don’t really know who she is. LOVE the porches and gardens of her ex-house. The neutral colors of the house really make the green gardens pop and blue pool sparkle. Very spa like, indeed.

Bonnie August 13, 2008 at 8:16 am

I love everything about this cozy home. It does suit her to a T. Sounds like she is rolling with the punches, which is just what you’d expect from her.

janet August 13, 2008 at 8:46 am

So sad, but I am sure she will make the best of whatever comes her way and will do it with grace and a sense of humor. She is such a great role model for Hollywood ( don’t get me started, lol.).

Janet

kari & kijsa August 13, 2008 at 8:57 am

Thank you for all your support and prayers! Your comments were wonderfully uplifting as we read them today!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

courtney @ nesting instincts August 13, 2008 at 10:18 am

I think this might be my favorite celeb home you’ve shown so far. So comfy, not pretentious, so California (in a beachy way, not an ostentatious way). Loved these pics. I think she has a good outlook….hopefully she can still focus on the “good news”. ;-)

Angela August 13, 2008 at 10:27 am

You are so right–unpretentious and so sweet! I will study those photos for some inspiration.

I was a big fan of Mr. Mom in the 80s. I hate that she now suffers from MS.

REAGAN August 13, 2008 at 11:34 am

I love the pictures of her house. It’s so open and airy! I’ve never heard of this actress. Maybe I’m just too young.

Ms.Tee August 13, 2008 at 12:09 pm

She sounds someone I’d like to know in person.
And her home is beautiful. All the white is so bright and cheerful.
What a great post!

Ramona Owen August 13, 2008 at 12:41 pm

I LOVE this home. You can tell that she really loved and cared for this house. That kitchen…oh my!

Smiles ~ Ramona

Christine August 13, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Her bedroom is gorgeous! I love that big window!

sandra/tx August 13, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I love Teri Garr. She’s such a wonderful inspiration to those with MS and others who may have different health issues. So sad she has to sell her home. :-(

Darla @ UltraBeautyBoutique August 13, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Isn’t that sad that in AMERICA someone will lose their home due to HEALTH CARE COSTS?

Sue August 13, 2008 at 4:07 pm

This is a truly beautidul home and it glowed with the heart of the owner. She will go on and create a lovely home no matter where she lives. How sad that she had to leave such a place…

She has always been one of my favorites and it made me so sad when I first heard about her health concerns.

Thank you for showing this…it was just perfection.

Things that Inspire August 13, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Lovely, fresh home. I hope that she sells it for top dollar!

Elizabeth` August 13, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Thanks for sharing Terrie’s beautiful home with us. I was aware of her MS, but not the aneurisms. Your writing is very kind and supportive.

Robin August 13, 2008 at 9:54 pm

This is a beautiful, warm and unpretentious home, and I would love to live here. How sad that she had to sell it, but I think all of us would agree that nothing beats having our health.

oldhousejunkie August 13, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I always thought that members of the Screen Actors Guild had good health benefits. Perhaps she couldn’t afford both her health insurance premiums and her mortgage at the same time. Maybe it was just too much house for her to keep up, even with help. Nice house, but a sad story.

Angela August 13, 2008 at 10:27 pm

Did my technorati deed…and love your new profile pic.

laura @ the shorehouse August 13, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Bummer. For once I am short on words. Young Frankenstein…The best! Couldn’t dig her more.

Marilyn August 13, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Love the house and thanks for the great tour, Julia. I’ve always loved Teri Garr in everything, and you’re right – the house reflects the personality we’ve seen. I’m pulling for her!

rue August 14, 2008 at 11:10 am

The home is beautiful and exudes California cottage. I feel so badly for her.

rue

Tori August 14, 2008 at 11:12 pm

I’ll stay in that house for a weekend!

Melody from ~Pennies In My Pocket~ August 15, 2008 at 4:15 pm

I just love this house! It’s so calm and refreshing! I love the whites, creams and greens…those are the main colors I use in my house.

~melody~

Billy August 15, 2008 at 5:47 pm

$4,000k in Baldwin park on that lot, in 2004, sadly, that would of been a teardown. Now…?

SAG insurance you have to work so many hours on a union job in a certain period to maintain eligibility.When you see someone from the past show up on a sit com, CSI or Law and Order, a lot more times than you would think that appearance is to keep the actor, and their dependants, eligible for the insurance.

Linda@restyledhome August 16, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Wow!! She has great taste…!

Liz August 25, 2008 at 3:27 pm

What a gorgeous home, how sad it is she has to sell it. Glad to know that she’s being pragmatic about it, I hope she finds somewhere else as lovely and calm.

Greg February 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Lovely home just discovered this site. I grew up adoring Teri Garr and now I have MS. I know she is an inspration for me. DO read her book and to think of her Steve Martin painting story horrible HE SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT HOUSE FOR HER.

A big hug to Teri

Marie June 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I just discovered your WONDERFUL site and I was so enjoying it (Mrs. Miniver! Oh, favorite, favorite, based much of my decorating on that house!!) until I got here and reality slapped me in the face.

I adore my sweet Craftsman cottage that I bought on my own (a widow with four kids) and renovated all by myself, painted, tore up nasty carpet, ripped down awful vertical blinds, spackled, repaired, you name it. Then I got MS too.

Now I cannot even go in the basement to do my laundry. Cannot work, like Teri, but unlike Teri I cannot walk anymore either. I will lose the house if I am unable to sell it first.

If it happened to her and she survived, I guess I will survive too. But my heart will always be here, in this cozy home where there was so much joy and love.

{ 2 trackbacks }