From Bachelorette to Baby: Trista Sutter’s Nursery

by hookedonhouses on May 1, 2008

Trista Sutter's nursery 1

Okay, tell me I’m not the only one who watches “The Bachelor” on ABC. I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but I tune in every week to see host Chris Harrison announce, “Coming up: our most shocking. Rose ceremony. Ever.”

I’ve been watching since the first season, with Alex as the first (smarmy) bachelor. He tossed Trista Rehn aside at the last minute and broke her heart, so producers brought her back as the first Bachelorette. Right up until the end, I was sure she was going to pick the other guy. But I always guess them wrong. At the final rose ceremony, Trista chose Ryan Sutter, the sweet and handsome Colorado firefighter who wrote poetry for her.

Trista and Ryan are one of the only happy endings that have lasted long beyond the final credits of the show. I was one of the 20 million viewers who tuned in to watch their pink wedding on TV in 2003. The couple now lives in Vail, Colorado. Last July they had their first baby, a son named Maxwell Alston. Here’s his nursery:

TristaNursery2

Trista Sutter's nursery 2

Have you ever seen black and white stripes in a nursery before? It was a first for me. What do you think? Does it work or not?

I found the photos at The Stylish Child, but the nursery was originally featured in Us Magazine. Trista has her own line of diaper bags now at www.TristaBaby.com, and you can read more about her there.

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to all the others I’ve featured, like Jennifer Lopez’s Nursery forĀ  Her Twins.

TraceyB May 2, 2008 at 7:20 am

I’ve heard black and white is stimulating for a baby, so I guess it works. I think it’s a good room to grow with. I don’t like theme baby rooms. Every time I see a theme room I wonder who they did it for? and how long will it stay that way? Until the kid ask’s to have winnie the pooh removed. Yeah, I think they made good choices, I like it.

Marie May 2, 2008 at 8:19 am

I like the black and white stripes! That would never have occured to me to do, but I like it.

I watch the Bachelor. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I do. I missed a few seasons- somewhere between Andrew Firestone and Lt Andy Baldwin. I heard the Bachelorette is next up (with one of the two girls the last guy didn’t chose- remember him?).

I’m rooting for Shane. She’s cute. Even if her mother looked like a cartoon character. What was up with her makeup? Yikes.

Tori May 2, 2008 at 8:42 am

I know it won’t be for a LONG LONG time, but I have wanted
to do my baby’s room in black and white and red for a long time.
But, whenever it came up (not very often, maybe twice), I would mention that and get weird looks from people.

Laura May 2, 2008 at 9:36 am

I adore the black and white stripes.
I am not one for the standard blue, pink or yellow baby room. This is a real room, room to grow and a room that is open to personalizing in anyway. I love the blue horizontal stripe — it makes the room more approachable.
All in all I think it is a fantastic idea, a clean, yet still interesting slate for years to come.

Beth May 2, 2008 at 10:24 am

I’m not really in love with the black and white – I can’t stop thinking of a referee jersey or prison or something. I don’t hate it, though, and I definitely commend them for going beyond traditional pink or blue! I agree with TraceyB that all of those character rooms get really tired and cliche. I love the designs that are warm and cozy enough for babies, but can grow with them into the toddler years.

abbreviated May 2, 2008 at 11:55 am

Love it !

They are designing & building a house.

melissa May 2, 2008 at 11:56 am

I’m pretty sure it is chocolate brown and ivory instead of balck and white, which makes it even nicer, IMO

Melissa @ The Inspired Room May 2, 2008 at 12:38 pm

They are such a sweet couple! I’ve watched many of the Bachelor series, but this one just didn’t grab me in the beginning and I was too busy to keep up with it!

Very unique nursery!

JLB May 2, 2008 at 12:44 pm

I love the nursery!! I was so creative… but I hate the painted furniture. It looks to “crafty”.

irishsof May 2, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Personally, I can’t stand the stripes. But that’s my opinion. I’m a little underwhelmed overall.

(Ooo that makes me sound grouchy today, doesn’t it?)

hookedonhouses May 2, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Oh! Melissa is saying these are brown and ivory stripes, not black and white. Are my eyes failing me? Do they look brown or black to you guys? I re-read the original article about it but couldn’t find anywhere that mentioned the colors. Hmmm. -Julia

Beth May 2, 2008 at 3:41 pm

The chair and ottoman do look more chocolate, but if that paint is chocolate, it’s about 100% cacao! I know babies need visual stimulation and all that, but the more I look at these pictures, the stripes are just so overwhelming. IMO, a narrower chocolate/black stripe or a deeper ivory or baby blue would soften it just a touch.

Amanda May 2, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I have to assume that it’s chocolate brown and white (I’ve never seen anyone pair that slate blue with black). It does look black in one of the pics, though.
I’m pretty sure that the Bachelor is going to choose Shane (even though her mother is really scary!). Did you notice the Hilton resort he took the ladies to in Barbados? It’s even more beautiful in person!! Longing to be back there! :)!

Courtney @ nestinginstincts May 2, 2008 at 5:24 pm

I was almost disappointed to read that it could be brown and white instead of black and white. I think the black and white is very striking, especially for a boy’s room, and I agree with the others who said that the room will grow with him. I can’t believe how fast my girls have grown…before they were born, it seemed they would be babies forever, and now…yikes. I’m glad I didn’t make their room baby-ish.

Amy May 2, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Hmmm, I’m not feeling the black and white. The room also looks way too crammed with stuff that doesn’t really feel cohesive to me. If I were looking for nursery ideas I’d keep looking.

melissa lewis - off the wall May 2, 2008 at 10:06 pm

You know, I’m surprised to say I like this. The bold color stripes are supposed to stimulate the brain for babies. You would think not a good color choice for babies room, but it works with all the other colors. I’m digging it:)

Amy Jo May 3, 2008 at 3:18 pm

My first reaction was “ugh”. My second reaction is the same. Although reading Tracy B’s comment about black and white being stimulating for baby’s does make sense. I would have never thought to do that, or wanted to do that in a baby’s room. Personally, I would prefer something on a smaller scale, like a large canvas on the wall, instead of stripes on all the walls.

Linda macDonald May 5, 2008 at 5:15 pm

The black and white is very IS very stimulating…which is the last thing I’d want to do for my babies’ rooms!!

Sue May 5, 2008 at 9:25 pm

B/W is very stimulating for babies…looks great but I wonder if the poor sweetie ever gets to sleep! *grin* Maybe it is TOO stimulating!
But I do love the black and white for a baby’s room. I really would love to do Grace’s room in black, white and pink next year. She loves the idea.
As always, your blog is delight!!

OH! I never got back to you did I?? We love near Dayton, just south of it actually. So we are pretty close!

Hugs,
Sue

Shelly June 20, 2008 at 5:20 pm

It lookss b&w in the pic but Max’s room is actually chocolate brown and white ( obviously with blue too). ;)

hookedonhouses June 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm

You’re right. I just enlarged the photo and it’s easier to tell now that it’s a dark brown. Thanks!

trendoffice June 23, 2008 at 4:33 am

I like the idea, but not for a nursery. What babies are seeing is forming their taste and esthetics. Also, bright colours are stimulting for their development. This could be more suitable for a teenager with style pretentions.

Susan October 23, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I LOVE this room! I watched the show and was hooked when I found out she was in my sorority. Now I love her even more because she has a dresser that is sold on my website (www.HeirloomsToBe.com)!

It is a great dresser. The color she has is buttermilk – if that helps in the black/white or brown/ivory discussions at all. I would have loved to do our daughter’s room in the stripes, but my husband was against it. We kept the sex of the baby a surprise so just did a nighttime theme instead.

halle July 3, 2010 at 8:56 pm