A Stone Cottage in Texas Inspired by “The Holiday”

by hookedonhouses on June 17, 2014

Small Stone Guest House in TexasWhen these homeowners decided to build a small guest house on their property in Fredericksburg, they were inspired by Kate Winslet’s stone cottage in the movie The HolidayThat’s where the ideas started, but the result is a house that truly belongs in Texas Hill Country…

Stone Cottage Guest House in Texas (2)

The one-bedroom, one-bath cottage has 1,000 square feet and sits on a private 20-acre property.

Stone Cottage Guest House in Texas (5)

The stone they used is chopped white limestone, which is indigenous to the area. The beams are western red cedar.

Small stone cottage Fredericksburg TX bedroom

Austin Pitner of Bonterra Building & Design explains, “We wanted the interiors to be rough but clean.” There are stones and beams that have the look of an old European farmhouse, but other elements, like the stained concrete floors, make it look more modern.

Stone Cottage Guest House in Texas (4)

The countertops in the kitchen are limestone. One of my favorite things about the kitchen is the Dutch door. I’m a sucker for those.

Small stone cottage Fredericksburg TX kitchen

My biggest problem with building a guest house like this would be that I’d want to live in it myself! Check the article about it by Becky Harris on Houzz for more photos and details.

Small stone cottage guest house Fredericksburg TX

Love The Holiday cottage that inspired them? See how it was built for the movie here:

The Holiday movie cottage

Visit Cottages to see more of my favorites, including…

Bee Cottage 325

The Country Girl June 17, 2014 at 8:14 am

The guesthouse is wonderful! It’s beautiful, substantial, and vernacular, ticking all the boxes for perfection. And agree, they would have to pry me out of there :-)

Laura June 17, 2014 at 9:05 am

Well, I’m not really seeing a resemblance except that they’re both small and made of stone. I like them both a lot, though!! I love a Dutch door too, but where I live you’d need a screen, which would kind of defeat the purpose, I guess.

hookedonhouses June 17, 2014 at 9:18 am

Yeah, Dutch doors aren’t always practical, are they? We’d have too many bugs (and birds and squirrels) coming in, too. I love the idea of them, though! :-)

sel June 19, 2014 at 5:38 pm

dutch doors are indeed fun…..an easy way to rid the bugs with
a screen. Simply have a ‘pocket’ area on the inside of the
room between the walls..When needed, just pull out and voila! Our
solution to a simple problem. One thing, planning with your
builder is necessary.

hookedonhouses June 19, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Interesting idea! I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks!

Alie B June 17, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I agree, Laura. I don’t see the resemblance either. This is lovely, but it doesn’t have the quirk factor that the cottage from The Holiday had. The eclectic mix of textures and colors was what made that place special, IMO. I do love the wooden beams in this place. Julia, I just remembered that there was an adorable little groundskeeper’s cottage in the movie “Circle of Friends”. Do you remember that movie, from the 90’s?

hookedonhouses June 17, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Yes, I remember that one, Alie! Haven’t seen it for years and had kind of forgotten about it. I loved the book it was based on, too.

Linda@limeinthecoconut June 17, 2014 at 9:15 am

Oh man…I would want to live there too! It is stunning!

Aaron@QuinnImagery June 17, 2014 at 10:12 am

Now that right there….THAT is my kind of house! Perfection….with a few more rugs, as I imagine that concrete floor must be cold on the feet.

Brandy June 17, 2014 at 11:52 am

Cold might be the point :-)…It get’s crazy hot in Texas.

hookedonhouses June 17, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Yeah, they might not mind that there. Ha.

jep June 17, 2014 at 12:20 pm

What a lovely cottage! We would move in there and be very happy. Thanks Julia!

Erin June 17, 2014 at 2:54 pm

It’s probably a good thing I’m not rich, or my hobby would be collecting houses & I would want to add a cozy little cottage like this to the collection! So pretty: not too rustic, not too elegant, just right (and I love the metal roof and the front porch)!

hookedonhouses June 17, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Me, too, Erin! I think this blog is my (poor girl’s) way of collecting houses I like. :)

Jonia June 17, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Yes indeed! Thanks Julia, for helping us “collect” houses…without having to clean or renovate them ourselves :D

nanne June 17, 2014 at 5:30 pm

fantastic interpretation of an english cottage for a texas hill country setting!!! i love it.

Kelly D June 17, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Wow! I love it! I would want to live in it full time too! I love the color of the shutters.

bev June 17, 2014 at 7:43 pm

One of my favorite movie houses. What a wonderful idea to use a favorite fictional home as inspiration when building. I think the result is gorgeous. My inspirations be either that cottage, the Dragonfly, or Green Gables.

Julie M. ~ The Little Red Shop June 18, 2014 at 1:50 am

I’m a sucker for Dutch doors too…and that cottage, and stone…and beams…and….

Julie

Monnaie Ernakulam June 18, 2014 at 3:26 am

Beautiful architects design and interior design!

maddie may June 18, 2014 at 4:48 am

What an absolutely sweet cottage. I also loved the cottage from The Holiday & am delighted that they didn’t copy the look but put their own interpretation on the “feeling” that this cottage inspires. Love the sink, dutch door, beams, ……
Would love to see the main home when it’s completed. I’m sure it will be wonderful & this quaint little cottage will be enjoyed by many friends.

Carolyn June 18, 2014 at 8:10 am

The Holiday cottage is one of my all time favorites, but I don’t see a lot of resemblance. As I said on Becky’s post a while back, I think they did a good job of relating this cottage to the local vernacular, which was probably more important, while containing elements of the English cottage like the post and beam structure, stone interior walls, and strap hinged doors. It doesn’t scream English cottage, but does feel appropriate to its setting. It looks wonderful, though I’d want to decorate it in that quintessentially English collected and mixed way that the American designers managed to do for that movie, Ralph Lauren furniture included. And I loved that blue kitchen. (Can Americans really do English style? That’s a good blog question.) I’m being a little picky here – the hewn beams bother me. They are obviously machine done – way too regular. Hand-hewn posts and beams have a more natural organic appearance. I know, because we have the hand-hewn ones (more costly) in our cabin. Other than that, I think I’d be pretty thrilled with this place.

As for the Dutch door – we have one on our 1928 house here in the south. Fortunately, it opens onto our screened porch, so don’t have the bug/mosquito issues.

Judy June 18, 2014 at 10:07 am

Such a serene and cozy space. And I always love the look of exposed stone or brick.

Wendy June 18, 2014 at 11:39 am

That is gorgeous. I LOVE the rough edged counter tops. That is a great idea! Why don’t we see that more often? Is it too pokey or hard to keep clean? Because, Dang! I like that. My house is stone and beam as well. That gets me thinking…

Jane George June 18, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Perfectly lovely! Great stone and dark wood combo plus wonderful use of light. I’d live there year-round. :)

Rachael June 19, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I love it! The dutch door is fabulous (although I wonder about the mosquitoes in the summer) and the beams on the ceiling are probably my favorite part.

Esther George June 19, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Hi Julia I did not get a chance to have a look at my IPad yesterday so here I am this morning catching up and you have made my day with all this beauty thank you. This is such a beautiful cottage. Time for more coffee and daydreaming. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Judy Jennings June 19, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Everyone in America EXCEPT ME must live in dust-free neighborhoods and dust-free houses. I have NEVER figured out OPEN kitchen shelving/cupboards, which everyone seems to do now. I would have to wash every dish/glass before using it. Uh uh.

jordi June 21, 2014 at 4:48 pm

If that’s the guesthouse I wonder what the main house looks like. How can I get an invitation!

Elizabeth Sagarminaga June 27, 2014 at 12:58 am

Hi Julia, What a splendid cottage guesthouse! Perfectly lovely! Beautiful architects design and interior design! Great stone and dark wood combo plus wonderful use of light. I love it! Such a peaceful and cozy space and I always love the look of exposed stone or brick. The Dutch door is fabulous.

Britastina July 9, 2014 at 9:29 pm

We live an hour from where this enchanted cottage is located. It is a stunning landscape. We have been looking for acreage there. (It is called the “Texas Hill Country” and comprises a huge swath of Texas). I may never get there but homes like this keep me dreaming. This is the second web-site this cottage has been featured (the other is HOUZZ). Now I’ll stay awake hours trying to figure out how to replicate it and make it happen.

hookedonhouses July 10, 2014 at 7:57 am

If you do, you’ll have to send me photos of your new place — I’d love to see! :-)