A Stone Cottage in Texas Inspired by “The Holiday”

Small stone cottage guest house Fredericksburg TX

When these homeowners decided to build a small guest house on their property in Fredericksburg, they were inspired by Kate Winslet’s stone cottage in the movie The HolidayThat’s where the ideas started, but the result is a house that truly belongs in Texas Hill Country…

Stone Cottage Guest House in Texas (2)

The one-bedroom, one-bath cottage has 1,000 square feet and sits on a private 20-acre property.

Stone Cottage Guest House in Texas (5)

The stone they used is chopped white limestone, which is indigenous to the area. The beams are western red cedar.

Small stone cottage Fredericksburg TX bedroom

Austin Pitner of Bonterra Building & Design explains, “We wanted the interiors to be rough but clean.” There are stones and beams that have the look of an old European farmhouse, but other elements, like the stained concrete floors, make it look more modern.

Stone Cottage Guest House in Texas (4)

The countertops in the kitchen are limestone. One of my favorite things about the kitchen is the Dutch door. I’m a sucker for those.

Small stone cottage Fredericksburg TX kitchen

My biggest problem with building a guest house like this would be that I’d want to live in it myself! Check the article about it by Becky Harris on Houzz for more photos and details.

Small stone cottage guest house Fredericksburg TX

P.S. Love The Holiday cottage that inspired them? See how it was built for the movie here:

The Holiday movie cottage

English Country Style Cottage in Carmel | hookedonhouses.net
By-the-Way Cottage is the name of this English country-style home in Carmel, California. It was built in the 1920s by M.J. Murphy, whose houses are…
Jessica Helgerson's Tiny House Sauvie Island Portland
Designer Jessica Helgerson and her family live in this little white house on Sauvie Island near Portland, Oregon. I'm impressed with how they made less than 600…

Comments

1. The Country Girl says

The guesthouse is wonderful! It’s beautiful, substantial, and vernacular, ticking all the boxes for perfection. And agree, they would have to pry me out of there :-)

2. Laura says

Well, I’m not really seeing a resemblance except that they’re both small and made of stone. I like them both a lot, though!! I love a Dutch door too, but where I live you’d need a screen, which would kind of defeat the purpose, I guess.

• says

Yeah, Dutch doors aren’t always practical, are they? We’d have too many bugs (and birds and squirrels) coming in, too. I love the idea of them, though! :-)

• sel says

dutch doors are indeed fun…..an easy way to rid the bugs with
        a screen. Simply have a ‘pocket’ area on the inside of the
        room between the walls..When needed, just pull out and voila! Our
        solution to a simple problem. One thing, planning with your
        builder is necessary.

• Alie B says

I agree, Laura. I don’t see the resemblance either. This is lovely, but it doesn’t have the quirk factor that the cottage from The Holiday had. The eclectic mix of textures and colors was what made that place special, IMO. I do love the wooden beams in this place. Julia, I just remembered that there was an adorable little groundskeeper’s cottage in the movie “Circle of Friends”. Do you remember that movie, from the 90’s?

• says

Yes, I remember that one, Alie! Haven’t seen it for years and had kind of forgotten about it. I loved the book it was based on, too.

Now that right there….THAT is my kind of house! Perfection….with a few more rugs, as I imagine that concrete floor must be cold on the feet.

4. jep says

What a lovely cottage! We would move in there and be very happy. Thanks Julia!

5. Erin says

It’s probably a good thing I’m not rich, or my hobby would be collecting houses & I would want to add a cozy little cottage like this to the collection! So pretty: not too rustic, not too elegant, just right (and I love the metal roof and the front porch)!

• Jonia says

Yes indeed! Thanks Julia, for helping us “collect” houses…without having to clean or renovate them ourselves 😀

6. nanne says

fantastic interpretation of an english cottage for a texas hill country setting!!! i love it.

Wow! I love it! I would want to live in it full time too! I love the color of the shutters.

8. bev says

One of my favorite movie houses. What a wonderful idea to use a favorite fictional home as inspiration when building. I think the result is gorgeous. My inspirations be either that cottage, the Dragonfly, or Green Gables.

9. maddie may says

What an absolutely sweet cottage. I also loved the cottage from The Holiday & am delighted that they didn’t copy the look but put their own interpretation on the “feeling” that this cottage inspires. Love the sink, dutch door, beams, ……
    Would love to see the main home when it’s completed. I’m sure it will be wonderful & this quaint little cottage will be enjoyed by many friends.

10. Carolyn says

The Holiday cottage is one of my all time favorites, but I don’t see a lot of resemblance. As I said on Becky’s post a while back, I think they did a good job of relating this cottage to the local vernacular, which was probably more important, while containing elements of the English cottage like the post and beam structure, stone interior walls, and strap hinged doors. It doesn’t scream English cottage, but does feel appropriate to its setting. It looks wonderful, though I’d want to decorate it in that quintessentially English collected and mixed way that the American designers managed to do for that movie, Ralph Lauren furniture included. And I loved that blue kitchen. (Can Americans really do English style? That’s a good blog question.) I’m being a little picky here – the hewn beams bother me. They are obviously machine done – way too regular. Hand-hewn posts and beams have a more natural organic appearance. I know, because we have the hand-hewn ones (more costly) in our cabin. Other than that, I think I’d be pretty thrilled with this place.

As for the Dutch door – we have one on our 1928 house here in the south. Fortunately, it opens onto our screened porch, so don’t have the bug/mosquito issues.

11. Judy says

Such a serene and cozy space. And I always love the look of exposed stone or brick.

12. Wendy says

That is gorgeous. I LOVE the rough edged counter tops. That is a great idea! Why don’t we see that more often? Is it too pokey or hard to keep clean? Because, Dang! I like that. My house is stone and beam as well. That gets me thinking…

13. Jane George says

Perfectly lovely! Great stone and dark wood combo plus wonderful use of light. I’d live there year-round. :)

I love it! The dutch door is fabulous (although I wonder about the mosquitoes in the summer) and the beams on the ceiling are probably my favorite part.

15. Esther George says

Hi Julia I did not get a chance to have a look at my IPad yesterday so here I am this morning catching up and you have made my day with all this beauty thank you. This is such a beautiful cottage. Time for more coffee and daydreaming. Regards Esther from Sydney.

16. Judy Jennings says

Everyone in America EXCEPT ME must live in dust-free neighborhoods and dust-free houses. I have NEVER figured out OPEN kitchen shelving/cupboards, which everyone seems to do now. I would have to wash every dish/glass before using it. Uh uh.

17. jordi says

If that’s the guesthouse I wonder what the main house looks like. How can I get an invitation!

Hi Julia, What a splendid cottage guesthouse! Perfectly lovely! Beautiful architects design and interior design! Great stone and dark wood combo plus wonderful use of light. I love it! Such a peaceful and cozy space and I always love the look of exposed stone or brick. The Dutch door is fabulous.

19. Britastina says

We live an hour from where this enchanted cottage is located. It is a stunning landscape. We have been looking for acreage there. (It is called the “Texas Hill Country” and comprises a huge swath of Texas). I may never get there but homes like this keep me dreaming. This is the second web-site this cottage has been featured (the other is HOUZZ). Now I’ll stay awake hours trying to figure out how to replicate it and make it happen.