Happy Hollow: A Gambrel-Style House & Guest Cottage

by hookedonhouses on December 16, 2012

If you’ve got an extra $7 mil or so lying around, then this Gambrel-style house in Brookline, Massachusetts, might tempt you to spend it. Heck, I’d be happy just to live in the charming guest cottage out back! It was built in 1901 but has been beautifully updated and renovated with “English country house details.” Take a look:

The listing says:

“Happy Hollow: Historic charm meets modern elegance in this rare Brookline masterpiece. Recently expanded & elaborately restored English country manor provides the perfect blend of contemporary luxury & tranquility. Numerous extra features including gym, movie theater, wood-burning stone pizza oven, 2,500 bottle wine cellar, and landscaped grounds complete with infield grass from Fenway park. All just steps from Lars Anderson & minutes from Back Bay.”

The house has around 9,000 square feet with 6 bedrooms and 8 full baths.

I think I gasped out loud when I saw this sunroom. Wow.

The house sits on about 1 acre.

Even the picket fence and gate are charming:

But wait, there’s more! Check out the one-bedroom guest cottage out back:

Note the name on the towels: Bliss Cottage.

Want it? Check the listing at William Raveis. Old House Dreams has additional photos from when it was on the market last year. Thanks to Kim and Pricey Pads for bringing it to my attention.

P.S. To see more interesting properties for sale: Sunday Open House. And if cottages are your thing, I have a whole page devoted to my faves.

Another House that has a Guest Cottage I love:

Sagee Manor in North Carolina

CottageGirl December 16, 2012 at 8:47 am

Wow … The exteriors are the stuff of dreams and fairy tales of old.

Inside, some of the rooms are a bit too formal for me, but the bedrooms, the kitchen with the curved ceiling and big window, and sun porch are all so charming and inviting. I can picture myself with a good book in that sun room with the rain pitter-pattering on the roof.

But I’m with you, Julie, I’d take that in a heart-beat.

Thanks for the post!

Kim December 16, 2012 at 8:51 am

Outside is jaw dropping gorgeous. A little too formal for me inside, but I could work with it. lol I do love the cozy cottage. Thanks for sharing some pretty this morning.

KellyW December 16, 2012 at 9:16 am

It is so pretty! I couldn’t see my husband living there though. He’d be more comfortable in the guest house.

frances December 16, 2012 at 9:21 am

That is the most beautiful house I have ever seen…I would hate to be selling it if it was mine..
The guest cottage living room reminds me of the house in the holiday movie.
Must win lottery..move to America and buy this house…haha one can dream right?
Maybe Santa will give it to me of Christmas.
Cheers and thanks for the lookie Frances

Laura December 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

With minor decor updates, it’s absolutely perfect. This will be my house in heaven *sigh* :)

Karen May 21, 2013 at 3:38 am

What would you change????

Dina December 16, 2012 at 9:43 am

Yes, lovely, especially the guest house. I do wonder if there were some changes made in the getting the house on the market. Most of the paintings I can see are cheap and mostly what I call “The School of Sofa Art”. I wonder if the family removed better pieces and replaced them with the mass produced stuff in order not to attract thieves. I find it hard to believe someone with a seven million dollar house would put paintings on their wall that I can buy for a few hundred at those “starving artist” sales usually held at local hotels. The bunny rabbits over the fireplace is sweet, but I can go downtown and buy it my local furniture store right now for about $350, along with the landscapes seen in the hallway. I know of at least one Ebay vendor with the dog paintings. I think somewhere, locked away, are some really lovely 18th-19th century originals (or at least I hope so).

laney December 16, 2012 at 1:31 pm

…what an astute eye for detail you have dina!…i am agreeing…there must be treasures we are not seeing…blessings laney

David December 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm

One of my pet peeves. I go to estate sales and walk into a half million dollar home with fake art everywhere. I live in a modest suburban ranch but at least the art is real-and personal. I have been to warehouses here in Atlanta with paintings similar to these stacked in piles 30 deep.

Dina December 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Thanks, I’m just snoopy that way.

Dina December 16, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Thanks laney, Thanks, I’m just snoopy that way.

Shari April 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Hi Dina. I don’t have your eye for detail, so I went back and looked through the paintings. I have to admit I do like some of them. The room with the bunnies over the sofa was my favorite room in the house! :) I live in a tiny cottage in the country and have a similar bunny painting in my home. I enjoy it very much, but I’m also not a millionaire, so won’t be ashamed. :) Maybe they like both expensive and inexpensive items and purchase them just because they enjoy them? Who knows. Lovely cottage regardless.

Jenb December 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

This has to be one of the prettiest houses I have ever seen. Some areas are so formal I can’t see myself being comfortable in them. But others look so homey. I think I could adapt!

Mindy McGrew December 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

Lovely property! It looks like it is ready for a magazine shoot with all the beautiful decor, but It isn’t staged to sell well at all, with things in front of windows, tons of decor items littering every surface of the house including the floor. Such a shame it wasn’t staged better if they are trying to sell it. Love the blog and FB page and seeing all your fun “Home” finds!

Jackie December 16, 2012 at 10:00 am

Beautiful post!

Marta December 16, 2012 at 10:04 am

Your site is always so much fun. This is beautiful, and so inspiring. Do people really get to live in something this charming? I agree with Frances . . . how could you leave? Thank you for sharing, Julia.

Laura December 16, 2012 at 10:26 am

My favorites are the kitchen and the bathroom in the guest house. Beautiful! I like most of it, really, but I’m so tired of seeing recessed lighting put in old houses. Ugh.

Cindy December 16, 2012 at 10:30 am

I LOVE the exteriors – love them! But the interiors are a bit too…much…for me. The architectural details are awesome, though. I could de-clutter and de-formalize it to my taste without too much effort. :-)

Jen L. January 12, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I agree! From the outside, it’s the perfect charming “movie set” home. From the inside….ugh. I don’t love super modern decor but I REALLY don’t love the over-wrought, ornate furniture and details.

It’s sort of how I felt about Hearst Castle – grounds to die for, interiors dark and gloomy. Pretty disappointing.

Julia December 16, 2012 at 10:39 am

Wow! A 9000 square foot home that actually looks “homey”, I love it!

Pat December 16, 2012 at 10:43 am

My, my, my…perfection. Why oh why are they selling?
It just isn’t fair! LOL!

Barbara December 16, 2012 at 10:50 am

This is one of the most beautiful homes I have seen – I could easily live there – it is decorated in an elegant but comfortable style – I love it! I enjoy your blog very much and you have inspired me to start my own lifestyle blog. Thanks for adding such beauty into my daily life! Sincerely, Barbara @ theenchantedmanor.com

Hildie December 16, 2012 at 10:59 am

Well, I think I’m ready to commit: this is my favorite house.

Dawn December 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

Gosh, just a lovely home. If I had the money this would be something that I’d buy, fully furnished, for my mom. She’d love it. It’s nice seeing a lovely home really ‘done up’.

Neesha December 16, 2012 at 11:17 am

OMG. I am in love with this!

T. December 16, 2012 at 11:30 am

What a lovely home! I do think the ornate furnishings compete with the rich architectural details, although that’s easily fixed (provided one has the funds, which I don’t!).

Jen M December 16, 2012 at 11:31 am

Agree that the exterior is the stuff of dreams. I don’t like the inside, though. Too much white, and the wood finishes are too trendy.

Mopsy December 16, 2012 at 11:55 am

LOVE the kitchen. I could visit indefinitely!

CeCe December 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I would love this house and would want to buy it fully furnished. I love all the attention to detail. And I agree with the commenter above who said it is a homey house. So true, and so hard to do when it is such a big house.

House Crazy Sarah December 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm

whoa! This home is amazing – top to bottom! What’s not to love? The decorating is tip-top and the charm is through the roof!

Rebecca C. December 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

It is too formal for my tastes, but wow is it beautiful. I agree about the cottage. I could live in just that.

laney December 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm

…perhaps simpler curtains…but without a doubt…a beautiful beautiful home…and like you julia…the charming guest cottage would suit me just fine…blessings laney

Cindy W December 16, 2012 at 1:40 pm

The interiors are far too ‘foofy’ for me, but the architecture of both the main house and the cottage? Love it.

Miss Emily December 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Love it! Now that’s what I call real furniture and design! If I see one more skittle-colored table that used to be a nice wood grain and finish, I’m going to scream!

David December 16, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I don’t have 7 million laying around but I was sure stealing decorating ideas left and right.

Melanie December 16, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Wow. Just wow. While the decor inside isn’t my style, I’m in love with this house. The exterior especially, but the kitchen is absolutely to die for. If I ever had a dream home, it’s been trumped by this!

Judy Jennings December 16, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Julie, I think I’m going to cry.

ShabbyChick December 16, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Julia, you just don’t disappoint. This cottage is magical, the stuff of childhood dreams!!! LOVE!!! ;)

Robin December 16, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Absolutely charming home!

Destiny December 16, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I adore every little thing about the exterior/outside of this home, including the driveway and landscaping, but the indoors is way to formal for me, almost to the point where I am not able to fully appreciate it.

A fun glance, but no house jealousy here! PHEW…

Frances December 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I adore the ‘bones’ of this. The decor is a bit too… too much, but simplify it down a bit and wow what a house you could have!!

Richard December 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Like the house, hate the furniture. Get Karin Blake in there.

Alie B December 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Yes! I love Karin Blake Design and you’re right; her style would be perfect with this architecture.

Jake's a Girl December 16, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I could live there!! But! I’m with Frances…the decor would have to be toned down. The house is beautiful.

Jessica December 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Yes, I would be tempted! However, our budget does not stretch to that extent. Ha
I love most of the furniture, too, and especially the L shaped sofa with the multi fabrics. :-)

gena December 16, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Wow, wow, wow! This one is my favorite of all the ones you’ve featured!!!! I could move in tomorrow – oh, wait – that was 7M???? OK, I’ll keep dreaming – lol!

Thanks for sharing – LOVED it!
gena

Dean December 16, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Love the house itself, but the interior design and furnishings…Whew! Way too over-the-top foo foo chi chi.

CCJ December 16, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I’m surprised at all the people who think the decor is formal or over-the-top… it makes me wonder what it says about me that I think it looks completely cozy and family-friendly! (Probably that I live in a collection-packed, formally furnished house, lol) Their paintings down, our paintings up, and it would be ready for us to move in tomorrow!

Officially one of my favorite houses… EVER. I’ve got to save the shots for my ‘dream house’ file. Thank you, Julia!
-CCJ

Anne December 16, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I have to agree with some of the other posts…………it is a very beautiful home but it feels too formal and busy. I envy the outside, I wish my lawn and stone driveway looked as pristine as this!

Lisa December 16, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Just so much fun! There are always things one might do differently, but this one has amazingly good “bones”!

Wade Watson December 16, 2012 at 11:25 pm

That’s a very impressive icebox-style refrigerator. I haven’t run across an American company making those. I know the European Robey company makes some similar to that, but I haven’t seen that model. I suppose it could a custom modification.

Jared December 16, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I used to live in Brookline and it is a beautiful town. Rolling hills with patches of little tucked away neighborhoods and beautiful homes like this one. Definitely a unique place and minutes away from Downtown Boston.

Patti December 17, 2012 at 12:04 am

Wow, completely not my style and somehow I would move into it in a heartbeat and not change a thing. I totally love it. It’s like a dream.

Kim December 17, 2012 at 1:30 am

You’re Welcome and thank you for sharing this. I can’t stop looking at this house it’s so charming.

sandy December 17, 2012 at 5:57 am

This home takes my breath away. If I could twitch my nose & close my eyes I would wake up there & feel I was in a dream. Love everything about it.

Alie B December 17, 2012 at 9:06 am

This home is so sweet and feminine! I half expected to see Snow White and the 7 dwarves in the guest house. This would be a great bed and breakfast or inn. It has a magical quality that children would love! :-)

Christina from Dallas December 17, 2012 at 9:56 am

This house is my guilty pleasure! I love it! My husband would look at it and hate it probably but I could live happily every after here. I wish I could somehow redo the living room in my house like this but at a less expensive price point.

missannethrope December 17, 2012 at 10:14 am

Yikes! Looks like an entire Ballard Designs catalog exploded all over this house.

Carolyn December 17, 2012 at 11:13 am

What an amazing property. Love the exterior and the house’s ‘bones’. The windows and interior woodwork/ mouldings, cabinetry, tile, curved rooms, and arched, beamed and vaulted ceilings are fantastic. A bit too sweet and feminine decor for me – agree about the foo-foo and those paintings (Chinese imports done by the hundreds). Though charmingly done, the interior decoration looks dated by about ten years +, but there are many who love this over-accessorized traditional “English” look (lots of plates and wall brackets, birdcages, fake greenery and flowers, and little paintings). I think all the amazing woodwork does call for some formality. I do love the kitchen and that birch log sunroom, but my favorite is the guest house. Not sure I would have done the faux log cabin siding inside (I like the real thing) and it’s too busy with all the early American collectibles, but that bathroom with those windows is wonderful. From the outside, it’s a perfect gem. A lot of eye candy with this post. Thanks, Julia.

Nita December 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I’ll take it all!!!! I love this so much.

Terry December 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Very pretty house but the interior has way too much eye-candy, kind of like a diet of cake and ice cream. There is no place to go to escape all the Stuff! I do adore the refrigerator though. I would probably empty out the guest cottage and live there (taking the refrigerator with me). Can you imagine this place in the snow? Oh my, a fire in the fireplace, a good bottle of wine, some cheese….

Lisa T. December 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm

OK. We’re done. Leave these pictures up and call it a blog (day).

kathy d December 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm

oh my gosh a dream place, and I too could live in the guest house!!!!!!

Stephanie December 18, 2012 at 12:09 am

OMG. Wow. What a house! I love the decorating so much! What an inspiration! Hands down the most gorgeous fridge I’ve EVER seen. I could do without the inside birch trees or whatever that is – but the rest is amazing.

Lori December 18, 2012 at 12:37 am

Oh boy… One gorgeous house. I bet if you shared these in black and white instead of color we all would think it came right out of a classic 1940′s movie!!!

hookedonhouses December 18, 2012 at 7:26 am

You’re right!

Becky December 18, 2012 at 11:52 am

Love..love the kitchen!! Sunroom, yes I can picture myself in there too. Overall the house is tooo much, to much stuff, to frilly of furnishings. Outside you , at least I thought, once you went in, the home would be..homey. A warm glow, a “comfort” zone..just didn’t get that feel. But hey, don’t get me wrong, I’d take it in a new york minute, then just de-clutter some!

Sofia December 19, 2012 at 1:45 am

The outside of the cottage is beautiful, like a fairy tale house. The interior is way too much for my taste, though.

Erica January 1, 2013 at 8:48 pm

The main house is too much for me, but I’m in loooooove with the guest cottage. OMG.

Sharmaine January 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Thank you for this beautiful cottage. It welcomes me HOME! Such an enchanted place to live. As a real estate broker, I always told clients that the right house will speak. This one sang a song to me.

Queenie Sun May 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Oh my! What a charming little place in Massachusetts! The price went from 7 to 5 mil too!! Waitin for four mil…. Maybe?? It’s such a spacious 1 acre home too. Maybe used as a vacation home?